Insert from Coach Ray Woodard's Facebook Page

BEAUMONT — Anybody who thinks Lamar University doesn’t work hard at recruiting Southeast Texas football players should take a close look at the Cardinals latest signing class revealed Wednesday afternoon. Beyond that, a look at Lamar’s overall roster would be revealing for the sheer number of local stars.

Seven players from five area high schools, including Nederland defensive end Corbin Carr and PN-G wide receiver Jayce Nelson, are in a 21-player 2012 class heavy on offensive linemen (5), defensive linemen (4), wide receivers (3)and defensive backs (3). They join four early junior college signees, two of whom were defensive backs, to bring a huge influx of talent to the Cardinal program.

Especially noteworthy of Woodard’s third recruiting class was that 19 of the 21 players announced Wednesday will be incoming freshmen. Biggest name among the high school crop is 4A All-State running back Cam Washington from Corsicana who rushed for 3,208 yards and 46 touchdowns in leading the Tigers to a 13-2 record and the 4A semifinals.

“This is our deepest class ever and I’m very proud of it,” said Woodard. “This is really our third full class. As we said three years ago we were going to take more junior college and transfers players because the first two years I felt we needed to be older quicker. The first game was against McNeese. We didn’t feel we wanted to go over there with all freshmen and redshirts.

“Last year we didn’t want to get into a very tough, very good Southland Conference with all sophomores and red-shirt sophomores. So we felt like the last two years we needed to target the junior colleges and transfers a little more. This past season we were very heavy in the high school area. That’s what we wanted to do.

“This is a very good class. I think we hit on some areas with the four transfers that we already have in school now that we needed immediate help. I think the rest of these players will really fill in and do a good job. I want to back up and say, first of all, this class I think is our deepest class.”

[b]What was a mostly upbeat press conference began on the unusual note of Woodard taking to task Beaumont Enterprise sports reporter David Henry for remarks he felt put the Lamar program in a negative light with prospects and parents in Southeast Texas.

“I want to get this negative out of the way before I get to all the positive,” Woodard said. “In May, I’ll be here four years. In those four years a lot of things have been written and said about our program. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has the right to say what they feel. Sometimes I may not agree, but you have the right to say or do it.

“But when something is written that I think is inaccurate I want to hit on it. David Henry first said in the paper back during the season, talking about NFL scouts coming to our practice, that NFL scouts wouldn’t come unless their car broke down in Beaumont.

“I thought that was kind of funny. Sounded like something I might say because I have a little smart-aleck in me from time to time. But if a player or a mother is reading that they may not think Lamar’s players may be attractive to NFL teams. For the record, every NFL team had a representative this fall at our practices. At least one scout from every NFL team was at a practice. So I want to get that clear.

“The second thing, it’s been said in the paper lately that we don’t recruit local players. In this class we have six (actually seven) who are local to add to the 31 players that we already have that are local. We’ll have players from — and I want to get this on the record — East Chambers, Vidor, LC-M, West Orange, Orangefield, Bridge City, Silsbee, Lumberton, Port Neches-Groves, Nederland, Hardin-Jefferson, West Brook, Ozen, Central and Kelly.

“So I don’t think that will hold up. But I wanted to make sure to get that on record in case there are any local players or coaches or people who read the newspaper that may just read that and say, ‘well I guess Lamar is not recruiting local players.’ That’s not the truth and really a bold face lie and I want to get that on the record.”[/b]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Coach Woodard in the fact that Lamar is recruiting and getting local players. I think it is proven by the amount of local players already on the roster and with this recruiting class. I do not think that can be questioned.

BUT, what I think can be questioned is the QUALITY of the local recruits, not the quantity.

I'll let the experts address that issue. ;)

I was surprised that Lamar showed no interest in Brandtley Wilson from Kelly. He had outstanding numbers with 233 tackles, 133 solo tackles, and 10 sacks. I'm sure he is fine with Air Force but i just find it odd that they showed from what i know of no interest in him.

[quote name="2% Milk" post="1170086" timestamp="1328155983"]
I was surprised that Lamar showed no interest in Brandtley Wilson from Kelly. He had outstanding numbers with 233 tackles, 133 solo tackles, and 10 sacks. I'm sure he is fine with Air Force but i just find it odd that they showed from what i know of no interest in him.
[/quote]

Exactly! One of the examples I am talking about.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1170577" timestamp="1328209347"]
[quote author=2% Milk link=topic=95298.msg1170086#msg1170086 date=1328155983]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You cannot recruit and sign them all!!! ::) ::)

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1170648" timestamp="1328211116"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=95298.msg1170577#msg1170577 date=1328209347]
[quote author=2% Milk link=topic=95298.msg1170086#msg1170086 date=1328155983]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You cannot recruit and sign them all!!! ::) ::)
[/quote]

Right.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1170708" timestamp="1328212922"]
He has 30 kids out of what 65-70 that are from SE Texas.  I guess that is not enough. Sure I would love to have 100% of the kids from SE Texas, but [b]I also want LU to be successful!!!![/b]
[/quote]

Me too.

But, of those 30, would you like to have replaced any with some of the other locals that LU did not recruit?

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1170790" timestamp="1328217165"]
I would take Seales, Holmes, Blueitt, Shrapps, and that guy from anahuac. Not sure if we tried to recruit them or not. But that's about it.
[/quote]

Seales signed with OSU and had a Lamar offer. Blueitt signed with UT and committed before his senior season. Shrapps signed with North Texas and Lamar offerred. The guy from Anahuac (Justin Albritton) signed with Texas State and had a long standing offer from Lamar.

As for as LB's, have you guys seen the guys we signed? Pretty impressive if you ask me!

[quote name="bigred360" post="1170864" timestamp="1328221444"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=95298.msg1170790#msg1170790 date=1328217165]
I would take Seales, Holmes, Blueitt, Shrapps, and that guy from anahuac. Not sure if we tried to recruit them or not. But that's about it.
[/quote]

Seales signed with OSU and had a Lamar offer. Blueitt signed with UT and committed before his senior season. Shrapps signed with North Texas and Lamar offerred. The guy from Anahuac (Justin Albritton) signed with Texas State and had a long standing offer from Lamar.

As for as LB's, have you guys seen the guys we signed? Pretty impressive if you ask me!
[/quote]

You sure about Seales? My sources say no Lamar coach has been on the Memorial campus for a very long time. No player from Memorial was offered, word was LU was frightened they would not qualify, didn't want to waste their time.

The fact is, none of this will be proven good or bad until about 3-4 years from now.

AggiesAreWe may not be wrong, all he said was that no Lamar coach has been on Memorials campus and no one was offered.  He did not say there may not have been some phone calls that may have been used to say they are recruiting there.  If a call is made than that is recruiting. But if not a single Lamar coach visited Memorials campus, that is a completly different matter alltogether.

Once again you cannot recruit and sign every kid.  I can tell you one of the kids listed that some say was not recruited never had any intention of coming to Lamar even if Lamar offered.  Most on this board don't have a clue what goes into recruiting.  Me included. 

[quote name="bigred360" post="1170910" timestamp="1328224545"]
Man, it's a long time and a lot of things happen from Thanksgiving to Feb. 1st. Like I said earlier, believe what you want.

I never said Lamar wasn't late to offer the guy.
[/quote]
You are right, that has been a long time, no doubt, but all that talent was there previous to Thanksgiving and lots of other schools were coming around, just not the one right down the road.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder