Why Not A Shot Clock In High School

[quote name="no-look" post="1160993" timestamp="1326677905"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=94319.msg1160990#msg1160990 date=1326677675]
Okay, a proposal to have shot clocks only in certain h.s. divisions.
[/quote]Maybe 5A?  With the exception of Marcus Flower Mound... ;D
[/quote]F. Mound losing their star players this for next year, unless they [s]recruited[/s] err I meant unless they have a strong JV class for next year living in the district.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Henderson has built a program at Flower Mound, I seriously doubt that we see a let up in their play in the next few years.
Let me say, I am all for an uptempo game, I love to press and push the ball, but I am a realist at the same time.  Some teams do not have the players to do this( or it may not benifit them on a certain night), especially on the offensive side.  Alot of teams can press the entire game but not push the ball in a controlled manner.
Eventually, a shot clock will come to HS, but I am not looking forward to it.
I dont see how some are saying that a shot clock adds more strategy to the game.  When I played in college we ran a set when the shot clock started and when it got down to 10 seconds we went directly into a quickhitter.  IMO you would just be running alot more quickhitters.
Like no look said, lot of different in the HS and college game. 

It would be more entertaining for sure.  My favorite part of basketball is to watch a good team be able to push the ball up the floor with the dribble and/or pass and get a good look at the other end.  I love to see a guard scanning the floor on the dribble and thread the needle between 2-3 defenders, finding a teammate for a layup or open 3. 

I think it would be great to have a shot clock. If there would have been a shot clock during the Lincoln and Ozen champtionship days under coach Boutte. It could have been alot different. He was know for getting a lead and going to the 5 corners offense and chewing up the clock. When you have quick gaurds and no shot clock, you are forced to guard farther out. With a shot clock you can sit in your zone and make teams come to you. So depending on how you look at it, it can be an advantage for slower/less athletic teams.

[quote name="BULLDOG94" post="1161273" timestamp="1326755430"]
I think it would be great to have a shot clock. If there would have been a shot clock during the Lincoln and Ozen champtionship days under coach Boutte. It could have been alot different. He was know for getting a lead and going to the 5 corners offense and chewing up the clock. When you have quick gaurds and no shot clock, you are forced to guard farther out. With a shot clock you can sit in your zone and make teams come to you. So depending on how you look at it, it can be an advantage for slower/less athletic teams.
[/quote]Hmmm? After further thought, lets keep it the way it now  ;D

Guest speechless
Reasons why there shouldn't be a shot clock in high school:

- HS coaches have to take the players they are given, they don't get to go out and choose players to fit them

- A shot clock would actually slow the game down, you would see no more pressing.  Why press and take chances when you can just fall back and play defense for 35 seconds?

-Can you imagine finding someone to run the shot clock?  This is almost laughable.  Most schools are lucky to have someone that can just run a game clock.  Now you want to find someone who can reset the clock every time the ball hits the rim?  Good luck with that!

[quote name="speechless" post="1161377" timestamp="1326807890"]
Reasons why there shouldn't be a shot clock in high school:

- HS coaches have to take the players they are given, they don't get to go out and choose players to fit them

- A shot clock would actually slow the game down, you would see no more pressing.  Why press and take chances when you can just fall back and play defense for 35 seconds?

-Can you imagine finding someone to run the shot clock?  This is almost laughable.  Most schools are lucky to have someone that can just run a game clock.  Now you want to find someone who can reset the clock every time the ball hits the rim?  Good luck with that!
[/quote]Weak!  ::)

A. Thats what coaches are paid to do, coach their players and get their teams better.
B. I watched Baylor(?) play a full court press last night, with the time clock.
C. See "B."  I bet most fans would rather see defense for 35 seconds than 2 minutes of stalling ;)

Guest speechless
A. Thats what coaches are paid to do, coach their players and get their teams better.

[color=red]You are right, coaches are paid to coach their players and get their teams better.  However, not all coaches are dealt the same hand in high school.  Therefore, some coaches need to be able to slow the game as much as possible to have a chance.  You take that chance out of their hands by forcing them to shoot every 35 seconds.
[/color]
B. I watched Baylor(?) play a full court press last night, with the time clock.

[color=red]First, you watched Baylor get beat.  Second, they did when they were behind and trying to come back.  Everyone knows that college presses are designed for one thing and one thing only....two limit the amount of time a team has to run their sets once they cross half court.[/color]
C. See "B."  I bet most fans would rather see defense for 35 seconds than 2 minutes of stalling

[color=red]I can appreciate what "you would like to see" but, that is not in the best interest of high school teams.  Additionally, if a team is stalling for 2 minutes I can guarantee you the other team will be playing defense because they are obviously behind.[/color]

[color=red]Why didn't you address the inability of high schools to find someone to run the shot clock?[/color]

its the aspect of having the clock / and said operator / and the money involved with these -- that will never allow the shot clock into high school bb.    some schools are making cuts in staff and now they are going to spend money on athletics.??? it doesnt add up.  -- perhaps if uil were to pony up the cash and pay for the extra official and new clock/scoreboard system. it would nt change the game as much as you think anyway. who keeps the ball 45 sec w out t/o anyway

My reasons is I hate  watching 4 corners for an entire quarter.

2nd reason for me is a  well coached team can can be taught  to defend an offense, just say the flex offense. But if you have to guard the flex or any other offense for that matter usually u can only guard it for so long.

I believe it would make the game better. To me it wouldn't just be about Johnny and joes now, cause a good coach only has to teach his team to guard an offense for 45 seconds to a min.

Sorta like football defensive backs, u give a qb all day, he will find someone, so even I the dback defended perfect, if offense has all day then it takes away from some coaching.

Just my opinion. 

[quote name="team first" post="1161520" timestamp="1326824551"]
My reasons is I hate  watching 4 corners for an entire quarter.

2nd reason for me is a  well coached team can can be taught  to defend an offense, just say the flex offense. But if you have to guard the flex or any other offense for that matter usually u can only guard it for so long.

I believe it would make the game better. To me it wouldn't just be about Johnny and joes now, cause a good coach only has to teach his team to guard an offense for 45 seconds to a min.

Sorta like football defensive backs, u give a qb all day, he will find someone, so even I the dback defended perfect, if offense has all day then it takes away from some coaching.

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

I would agree with you at the college and pro level but in high school where things are anything but equal, I think the stall needs to remain in the quiver of the less talented.

On the money side of things, these are schools with new gyms in the last ten years that I know. I may be off a few years on some.

Hj
Silsbee
East chambers
Vidor
Kountz
Ned
Png
Mem
Bcity
Deweyville
And Orangefield I think?  So all these schools just in our area have or had money for new gyms, but not for 45 second clock.
Same thing was said about football and the play clock, but I have even seen 6 man football with it
Ozen

Guest speechless
yeah...that makes sense....players have to look over their shoulder to half court at the scorer's table to see how much time is left before they have to shoot

having money to install one still does not address the issue of having someone qualified to run one

it is not like a play clock in football where you reset it on the officials signal....this requires someone watching and not every losing focus on the game and resetting it every time the ball hits the rim...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kabamok245
    Newest Member
    kabamok245