Neat Little Peak Inside the Astrodome....

With all the money in the Houston area, I think they should renovate it and use it as a playoff venue for baseball and football. Heck, they might be able to add a basketball capability as well. They'd have high schools from all over Southeast and Central Texas coming to play in it. That would be [i]the[/i] place to play, plus it leave's Reliant for the college and professional teams.

Guest UHCoog14
My brother is a photographer and was allowed access to the Astrodome last fall during the rodeo. The most shocking aspect in his opinion was the number of cats inside there. He said there was also a catfish pond.

Great memories of the Dome. Time for it to come down.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="bigdog" post="1156974" timestamp="1326155599"]
It looks like there are several videos where some one "gained access".  From thier descriptions the door is wide open.
[/quote]

Probably so. He was allowed roof access. Took some amazing photos.

The reason it is sitting there is because the asbestos abatement project makes the renovation or demolishion cost prohibitive.  The banks won't fund a project that is so far upside down before the first hammer is swung.  The EPA and Harris County Polution Control won't allow it to be TNT'd because the airborne asbestos hazards it would creat for the public.  It's a huge bucket of cats and rats with LOTS of expensive problems.   

[quote name="bigdog" post="1157934" timestamp="1326293403"]
I don't think you could knock it down with explosives anyway.  Too close to Reliant.  Maybe the Texans owner can pony up some money to demo it, that would give them more parking!
[/quote]

There will be a lot of fill dirt needed to fill up the hole that will remain.  Where will it come from?

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="1155874" timestamp="1325947086"]
INSTEAD OF BUILDING A STADIUM FOR THE DYNAMO THEY SHOULD OF RENOVATED THE DOME BUT I THINK THE NEW STADIUM HAS MORE TO DO WITH OLYMPICS. STILL THINK IT WOULD OF MADE A GREAT SOCCER STADIUM.
[/quote]

I do too BRONX ROX. Soccer was my sport of choice for over 35 years. I think the MLS wanted something smaller with an outdoor atmosphere. I saw the LA Galaxy in the Rose Bowl back in 2000 however, I enjoyed seeing them more last year in the Home Depot stadium. Same model as the rest.

I remember one of the first times walking through the tunnels of the Dome when I started at Ch. 12. I was 19, Craig Biggio came out of the locker room and a cat ran in front of us. Needless to say I was a little surprised. Then Biggio says don't worry about that, just look out for the rats they're even bigger lol.

Any of us that saw an event in the Astrodome was blessed. For me it was seeing Nolan Ryan pitch and Pink Floyd. Coming from the business I'm in, I know what it costs to maintain a large structure like that and I'm sure the city of Houston can't afford it. Probably need to take it down to the ground but even that may cost more than they can afford.

• 2 months later...
Guest UHCoog14
Story last night on KHOU TV in Houston with video.

http://www.khou.com/video/featured-videos/KHOU-11-News-looks-inside-the-Astrodome-144994555.html

Just plain sad.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder