What is the UIL going to do about LaMarque

Z04AEA

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1133624" timestamp="1322503572"]
[b]How about just making them ineligible for the next seasons playoffs...[/b] like they do with College teams that violate the rules in certain situations... maybe setting a precedence such as harsh at this might make one think twice before committing such an act. I understand it may not be fair to certain student athletes for the following year but it might deter such incidents from occurring... and would defiantly make the coaches be more proactive in stopping this type of actions... just my opinion...
[/quote]Now that sounds reasonable. I don't believe anything will happen this season, from the UIL. Maybe at the school level something will happen.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1133639" timestamp="1322504382"]
Suspend the head coaches from both schools for the first 3 games next year, and no playoff appearance next year. This will get the coaches and players attention. I doubt these two teams will be allowed to play at Stallworth in the future. The one's involved this year should be sent to alternative school just like if you get in a fight at school That way the seniors this year get sort of punishment). To top it off, make both schools write apology letters to each other. This all seems harsh, but it's a serious issue that needs to be dealt with swiftly and firmly.

I agree that LM shouldn't have to forfeit the next game. That's unfair to them since Ozen is out of the playoffs. BTW, I want to comment on the posters bashing the cops. You guys that bash cops are clueless, there are bad apples in every profession, but this was a situation where no administrator, parent, coach, etc.. has a say so in how the cops handle your students, kids, etc.. If you fight, it's against the law and the police have every right to take action whether you like it or not. If you want to buck the cops then you'll be dealt with either by more cops, pepper spray, taser, or whatever. The cops did the right thing with the least amount of force to control a situation that was out of control. They should've started putting some people in jail to make a point, but they didn't and you still have people crying about the cops. Obey the law!!!! ok, off my soap box.
[/quote]good post

[quote]I heard La Marque coach will issue out punishment. [/quote]

Seems like the coaches would have tried this in the past ha  ;D

and there is a HUGE difference in a playoff game and a regular season game. that wouldnt be fair at all in any meaning of the word.

If nothing has happened yet and LM has had this problem in the past (according to most people on the thread) why would anything happen now? Just something to ponder on

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1133690" timestamp="1322507785"]
I personally think lm punishment should be they have to play manvel. Maybe they had this brawl because they didnt want to play manvel. I say let them play just keep some pepper spray and police close.
[/quote]Those of you on this site don't care for LM.I wonder what would be said if it would have been PNG and Ozen.Who would have been the bad boy.We have 5 rings and never have side step anyone.Bronco pride get you facts straight.This was the only fight LM has had in the history of the school.We have won over 500 games why would we need to fight.Stop drinking that Hateade.Dayton has a good program and there is no bad blood.So because you are O-3 against us don't hate your time will come one day.

Imagine this: A&M player gets into an altercation on the UT sideline. 20 - 30 A&M players run across the field and get into it on the UT sideline. Officials and security take five minutes to break it up and get play resumed. After the game, the two teams get into a fight on the field, with players swinging helmets at each other and security / police have to use pepper spray to break it up.

What would UT, A&M and the NCAA do about the situation? Think the NCAA would leave it up to the coaches to sort out?

OR substituate the Texans, Titans and the NFL. What would they do?

And yes, the NCAA and NFL do have more specialized and higher quality officials (most of the time  ;) ) that are more effective at avoiding blow up situations. But if one were to occur, how would the various levels respond?

Coog78, we are not 0-3 against LaMarque. If I recall Lumberton beat you three or fours years ago in the playoffs. The LaMarque team back then was just like your current team in that they are undisciplined and they have a history of taunting their opponents before & during a game. UIL needs to take swift action against them to show that this type of behavior is not acceptable.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1133559" timestamp="1322499406"]
[quote author=Z04AEA link=topic=92332.msg1133556#msg1133556 date=1322499165]
There obviously needs to be a punishment here. Does any one know what is going to happen to the cougars?
[/quote]
One can only speculate for now and don't forget that Ozen is involved here as well. Until a formal descision is rendered by the appropriate parties their is realy nothing to discuss. I'm pretty sure it will be posted when the news comes out.
[/quote]
Like I said^^^^^^

Guest UHCoog14
I would speculate that the UIL will put both programs and Head Coaches on probation (which amounts to nothing if they keep their noses clean) and have the notice posted in the "UIL Leaguer" magazine.

http://www.uiltexas.org/leaguer/articles/category/official-notices

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1133750" timestamp="1322511378"]
I would speculate that the UIL will put both programs and Head Coaches on probation (which amounts to nothing if they keep their noses clean) and have the notice posted in the "UIL Leaguer" magazine.

http://www.uiltexas.org/leaguer/articles/category/official-notices
[/quote]
Sounds reasonable.

[quote name="coog78" post="1133714" timestamp="1322508953"]
[quote author=bronco pride link=topic=92332.msg1133690#msg1133690 date=1322507785]
I personally think lm punishment should be they have to play manvel. Maybe they had this brawl because they didnt want to play manvel. I say let them play just keep some pepper spray and police close.
[/quote]Those of you on this site don't care for LM.I wonder what would be said if it would have been PNG and Ozen.Who would have been the bad boy.We have 5 rings and never have side step anyone.Bronco pride get you facts straight.This was the only fight LM has had in the history of the school.We have won over 500 games why would we need to fight.Stop drinking that Hateade.Dayton has a good program and there is no bad blood.So because you are O-3 against us don't hate your time will come one day.
[/quote]

What does records or PNG have to do with the actions of both sides in this melee?

Guest UHCoog14
Did any of the players receive citations for fighting?
If not, there is not much punishment to be dealt out unless each school opts to do so based on any video accounts.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1133639" timestamp="1322504382"]
Suspend the head coaches from both schools for the first 3 games next year, and no playoff appearance next year. This will get the coaches and players attention. I doubt these two teams will be allowed to play at Stallworth in the future. The one's involved this year should be sent to alternative school just like if you get in a fight at school That way the seniors this year get sort of punishment). To top it off, make both schools write apology letters to each other. This all seems harsh, but it's a serious issue that needs to be dealt with swiftly and firmly.

I agree that LM shouldn't have to forfeit the next game. That's unfair to them since Ozen is out of the playoffs. BTW, I want to comment on the posters bashing the cops. You guys that bash cops are clueless, there are bad apples in every profession, but this was a situation where no administrator, parent, coach, etc.. has a say so in how the cops handle your students, kids, etc.. If you fight, it's against the law and the police have every right to take action whether you like it or not. If you want to buck the cops then you'll be dealt with either by more cops, pepper spray, taser, or whatever. The cops did the right thing with the least amount of force to control a situation that was out of control. They should've started putting some people in jail to make a point, but they didn't and you still have people crying about the cops. Obey the law!!!! ok, off my soap box.
[/quote]

I totally agree with every bit of this. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Make the punishment stick to any high school sports program that resorts to brawling. If the penalty is high, it will stop. The Baytown Police had nothing to do with the causitive factor (the fight); they were doing their job maintaining order. I'm sick of police bashing in this country. Probably the toughest job there is.

Ok here's one for you if you don't think LM has a "reputation"...... this is completely unrelated to this thread, or anything discussed thus far.  My son who was a Jr. at Round Rock Stony Point (over 4 and half hours away from anything SE Texas or Galveston Area) commented that some officials noticed Stony Point come out jawing and prancing around, dancing/swaying, pointing at the other side.  I commented to him that they looked ridiculous acting like that and they should come out focused and all business.............. here is what he told me, they called it their "LaMarque intrance".  Now this is coming from a kid who knows nothing of this, but this was straight out of his mouth while we were sitting at the dinner table.  So these discussions happen beyond this board.  I'm proud to say, that his Sr. year, they didn't do that anymore.  I asked why, and he told me the coach told them to stop - so there ya go.

I guarantee you, that back in my day, Coach Etheridge would have benched, if not kicked off the team, every single player involved.  Those that remained would have ran with 25 pound weight vests until the "point" he was making set in.  However, this was before it was politically incorrect to instill values of any kind.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1133690" timestamp="1322507785"]
[/quote]Yep, LaMarque started the brawl while they were exiting the field and the Ozen player ran towards the LaMarque player after his coach tried unsuccessfully to restrain him.  I get it that he was now out of the playoffs, didn't have anything to loose at this point and wanted to make sure that the Coogs didn't make it to playoffs.  Stop the bickering and teach these atheletes how to loose gracefully.  Panthers played very well (great QB by the way) but Coogs played better.  There just good like that.  And please stop fantasizing that the Coogs have a "reputation" of this type of behavior.  Please do your homework and you will find that Coogs played up until this game without incident.  Oh yea, and Manvel, we've been there before and believe me none of their players became violent and tried to fight LM when we won.

Guest beechnut
[quote name="Coog4eva" post="1133581" timestamp="1322500749"]
There obviously needs to be a punishment here. Does any one know what is going to happen to the cougars?
[/quote]

How many times did you lose to LM in high school?
[/quote]

Are you tying this behind the walls? I aggree tht something should be done to get coaches and players attention. However doubt anything will bc way it is.

[quote name="15 PNG" post="1133848" timestamp="1322517667"]
Ok here's one for you if you don't think LM has a "reputation"...... this is completely unrelated to this thread, or anything discussed thus far.  My son who was a Jr. at Round Rock Stony Point (over 4 and half hours away from anything SE Texas or Galveston Area) commented that some officials noticed Stony Point come out jawing and prancing around, dancing/swaying, pointing at the other side.  I commented to him that they looked ridiculous acting like that and they should come out focused and all business.............. here is what he told me, they called it their "LaMarque intrance".  Now this is coming from a kid who knows nothing of this, but this was straight out of his mouth while we were sitting at the dinner table.  So these discussions happen beyond this board.  I'm proud to say, that his Sr. year, they didn't do that anymore.  I asked why, and he told me the coach told them to stop - so there ya go.

[b]I guarantee you, that back in my day, Coach Etheridge would have benched, if not kicked off the team, every single player involved.  Those that remained would have ran with 25 pound weight vests until the "point" he was making set in.  However, this was before it was politically incorrect to instill values of any kind.[/b][/quote]

From what my dad and uncle's used to say...Coach Troy wasn't a sweetheart either  ;D

[quote name="Coog4eva" post="1133581" timestamp="1322500749"]
[/quote]

How many times did you lose to LM in high school?
[/quote]i went to stephenville so you count them

I understand that when a team , in football or basketball, leaves the bench or sideline they are out of that game, period! I am a high school coach for 22 years , this is what we have been told. Seems like the officials Dropedthe ball on this one , now the uil will look the other way and nothing wil happen , teaching these young boys nothing!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder