Thank You Jeff Mathews!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just couldn't resist. First off let me state that I have the utmost respect for Coach Mathews. I have played under for four years, still visit him and the coaches regularly and we workout together on occasion. Coach Mathews, unlike what others say, it the mist caring guy I have met. How many of you that go to the games notice that is there is a player down, regardless of who he plays for, that Jeff is the first person out there. Am I the only one. I could go on about him all day but that alone really says something about his character.

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1132646" timestamp="1322392995"]
I'm not going to get in to details, but all I will say is I played under Mathews at Vidor for four years (started on varsity for one) and I have NO respect for that man.  Once your tenure is over playing under him, you're considered as nothing of use to him.  He made me (as well as at least a dozen players in my class) feel as if four years of our extracurricular lives were wasted.  We truly felt like all the hard work and effort we gave was for nothing.  That is the God honest truth.
[/quote]
Sour Grapes, I'm sorry you weren't cut out to be a four year letterman, but that does not change the fact the Jeff is a great coach with a heart of gold.

I said STARTED on Varsity for one.  I was a two year Letterman and enjoyed my position.  When every senior player showed up the Monday following our final Friday night loss, we were all told to move our s*it out of the locker room we had worked so hard to get to.  Keep in mind "Coach Wade", that 2001 team was a playoff team (and Mathews' first at Vidor) so don't act like you know the real Jeff Mathews because we were thrown to the slums and disregarded not even 72 hours after our final game.  Out with the old, in with the new.

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1132930" timestamp="1322423158"]
I said STARTED on Varsity for one.  I was a two year Letterman and enjoyed my position.  When every senior player showed up the Monday following our final Friday night loss, we were all told to move our s*it out of the locker room we had worked so hard to get to.  Keep in mind "Coach Wade", that 2001 team was a playoff team (and Mathews' first at Vidor) so don't act like you know the real Jeff Mathews because we were thrown to the slums and disregarded not even 72 hours after our final game.  Out with the old, in with the new.
[/quote]
You are obviously in a huge minority on this one.  Best you not try and win this.  Perhaps we are seeing why he did not want you to hang around.  Maybe mentoring was not your fortet.  ;)

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1132930" timestamp="1322423158"]
[/quote]

[quote author=BetweenTheBuriedAndMe link=topic=92257.msg1132646#msg1132646 date=1322392995]
I'm not going to get in to details, but all I will say is I played under Mathews at Vidor for four years (started on varsity for one) and I have NO respect for that man.  Once your tenure is over playing under him, you're considered as nothing of use to him.  He made me (as well as at least a dozen players in my class) feel as if four years of our extracurricular lives were wasted.  We truly felt like all the hard work and effort we gave was for nothing.  That is the God honest truth.
[/quote]

I can't believe you still have issues with this great man we call Coach Mathews!  How old are you...old enough to know better than to post something like this on here?!!!  If you have that much of a problem with him...he has an open door policy and would be more than willing to work this out with you.

I won't deny that I've seen certain players (mostly skill guys) be treated in a more respectable fashion, but I will say that a lot of us linemen (offense and defense) never got the special perks that those skill guys got.  At least 5 guys I can think of was able to sit out on Monday and Tuesday practices because of an "injury" that was never specified, they got out of wind sprints at the end of practice, and got away with dipping slowly in the locker room IN FRONT OF COACHES and be able to start on Fridays and be miraculously healed.  On the other side of things, there was another group of players that were also starters that gave more, showed up to every practice, and worked their butts off, but if they missed one day because of whatever, they sat out a quarter.  If they were caught dipping, they got swats.  If they were a minute late on the field for practice, they ran.  Certain players got certain privilages and it shouldn't have been that way.  Coach Mathews created cliques within the locker room by giving certain players certain privilages and that was our downfall.  That is facts so unless you were on varsity 2003-2004, you have no right to question what I (along with about a dozen other players who didn't get these special privilages) saw with our own eyes and feel the abandonment we felt with our own hearts that we gave everything to that man for.

[quote name="Gabe" post="1131858" timestamp="1322352265"]
There is something which sticks out about Jeff and it has nothing to do with football. Jeff cares about the kids and his passion is driven by wanting his players to succeed. There is just something different about this guy and it separates him from others. Jeff should have the Vidor job for life if that is what he wants.
[/quote]

I have only been around him in passing but he definitely always seems upbeat.  I would take him as an AD because he he seems to show a willingness to work with other sports.  Quite a few schools don't enjoy this from their AD.  As for as moving players out of a locker room immediatelt after a season......that is not uncommon...most senior players move on to another sport to finish out the year. 

I agree with his open door policy.  as far as him treating some kids better than others, I dont see that happening.  However, knowing Coach the way I do, he would love to fix his relationship with you and "the 12 others".  Why dont you call him and talk with him.  Do you not think he would sit down with you and try to fix the problem.

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1132958" timestamp="1322424855"]
I won't deny that I've seen certain players (mostly skill guys) be treated in a more respectable fashion, but I will say that a lot of us linemen (offense and defense) never got the special perks that those skill guys got.  At least 5 guys I can think of was able to sit out on Monday and Tuesday practices because of an "injury" that was never specified, they got out of wind sprints at the end of practice, and got away with dipping slowly in the locker room IN FRONT OF COACHES and be able to start on Fridays and be miraculously healed.  On the other side of things, there was another group of players that were also starters that gave more, showed up to every practice, and worked their butts off, but if they missed one day because of whatever, they sat out a quarter.  If they were caught dipping, they got swats.  If they were a minute late on the field for practice, they ran.  Certain players got certain privilages and it shouldn't have been that way.  Coach Mathews created cliques within the locker room by giving certain players certain privilages and that was our downfall.  That is facts so unless you were on varsity 2003-2004, you have no right to question what I (along with about a dozen other players who didn't get these special privilages) saw with our own eyes and feel the abandonment we felt with our own hearts that we gave everything to that man for.
[/quote]
Cry cry cry.....you need a tampon man?

[quote name="vp32" post="1133007" timestamp="1322428892"]
[quote author=BetweenTheBuriedAndMe link=topic=92257.msg1132958#msg1132958 date=1322424855]
[/quote]
Cry cry cry.....you need a tampon man?
[/quote]

lol  :o

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1132958" timestamp="1322424855"]
[/quote]

Son, I've known this man since '94 when he was an assistant coach. You couldn't be more wrong. He took the time to answer my emails about this year's team while me and two others were working in Thailand. I know several kids who have played for Jeff and have NEVER heard the first bad thing about him. BTW, since you know so much about him and Pirate football you would know we went to the playoffs in 2000, not 2001. Or, are you another one of those from Lumberton stirring up trouble again? I see your a new person on the boards....

[quote name="robanadana" post="1133052" timestamp="1322431174"]
[quote author=BetweenTheBuriedAndMe link=topic=92257.msg1132958#msg1132958 date=1322424855]
[/quote]

Son, I've known this man since '94 when he was an assistant coach. You couldn't be more wrong. He took the time to answer my emails about this year's team while me and two others were working in Thailand. I know several kids who have played for Jeff and have NEVER heard the first bad thing about him. [size=10pt][b]BTW, since you know so much about him and Pirate football you would know we went to the playoffs in 2000, not 2001. Or, are you another one of those from Lumberton stirring up trouble again? I see your a new person on the boards....[/b][/size]
[/quote]
Ding ding ding we have a winner. I was waiting for someone else to notice that...  8)

My mistake saying 2001.  It was the class of 2001 that went to the playoffs because as a freshman player, we were aloud to stand on the sidelines with the varsity, suited up against Nederland at Lamar.  It was merely a typo.  Now as for everyone else that has something to say, you have NO relevant thing you can tell me unless you were in that Vidor Pirate locker room in 2003.  Every single thing I stated was fact for that season.  Certain players had certain privilages and the locker room was divided that season.  Our class won 20 straight games from 7th grade-9th grade and everyone who was following that class thought we were easily playoff bound, but around the middle of 10th grade year, a division began to form in the locker room.  Again, I am stating FIRST HAND LOCKER ROOM FACTS.  Either everyone here (excluding coach Wade) has never played under Mathews or there is some extremely disturbing denial going on.  I refuse to hear out anyone's opinion of him unless they were class of 2004 and in that locker room.  The key word here is FACT.  I have no reason to lie and feel as if no one here understands what the words "first hand" and "fact" means.

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1133116" timestamp="1322436837"]
My mistake saying 2001.  It was the class of 2001 that went to the playoffs because as a freshman player, we were aloud to stand on the sidelines with the varsity, suited up against Nederland at Lamar.  It was merely a typo.  Now as for everyone else that has something to say, you have NO relevant thing you can tell me unless you were in that Vidor Pirate locker room in 2003.  Every single thing I stated was fact for that season.  Certain players had certain privilages and the locker room was divided that season.  Our class won 20 straight games from 7th grade-9th grade and everyone who was following that class thought we were easily playoff bound, but around the middle of 10th grade year, a division began to form in the locker room.  Again, I am stating FIRST HAND LOCKER ROOM FACTS.  Either everyone here (excluding coach Wade) has never played under Mathews or there is some extremely disturbing denial going on.  I refuse to hear out anyone's opinion of him unless they were class of 2004 and in that locker room.  The key word here is FACT.  I have no reason to lie and feel as if no one here understands what the words "first hand" and "fact" means.
[/quote]don't worry bout it man if you say anything bad at all bout vidor whether it is true or not you will get it trust me it is so funny how these people think they really know I was on the field also in 2000 at lamar but they think i am from lumberton lol

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1133116" timestamp="1322436837"]
[/quote]
Summary of your statement:
"I sucked it up in football and coach yelled at me so i'm gonna sit here and cry about it."

Dude your pathetic.

[quote name="vp32" post="1133128" timestamp="1322437682"]
[quote author=BetweenTheBuriedAndMe link=topic=92257.msg1133116#msg1133116 date=1322436837]
[/quote]
"I sucked it up in football and coach yelled at me so i'm gonna sit here and cry about it."

Dude your pathetic.
[/quote]
You're not reading vp32.  I was a two year letterman and on year starter.  The year I started (senior year) I played every play of every game EXCEPT for homecoming against LC-M because I had bronchitis.  I also said nothing about having an issue with Coach yelling at me.  I said certain players had privileges and could get away with dipping and cursing in the locker room without ANY of the coaches batting an eye, yet if a player (that wasn't part of those 5 or 6 with special privileges) was caught cursing or dipping, they were immediately escorted in to the coaches office and given swats with a paddle by one of the coaches.  That is what caused a division in the locker room.  These 5 or 6 players let those privileges go to their head and the coaches (including Mathews) were just throwing gasoline on the fire with the whole situation.  We weren't a "team".  Please read these posts thoroughly and quit posting idiotic comments, that in turn, causes me to have to reiterate FACTS that were stated previously.

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1133137" timestamp="1322438210"]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=92257.msg1133128#msg1133128 date=1322437682]
[quote author=BetweenTheBuriedAndMe link=topic=92257.msg1133116#msg1133116 date=1322436837]
[/quote]

Dude your pathetic.
[/quote]
You're not reading vp32.  I was a two year letterman and on year starter.  The year I started (senior year) I played every play of every game EXCEPT for homecoming against LC-M because I had bronchitis.  I also said nothing about having an issue with Coach yelling at me.  I said certain players had privileges and could get away with dipping and cursing in the locker room without ANY of the coaches batting an eye, yet if a player (that wasn't part of those 5 or 6 with special privileges) was caught cursing or dipping, they were immediately escorted in to the coaches office and given swats with a paddle by one of the coaches.  That is what caused a division in the locker room.  These 5 or 6 players let those privileges go to their head and the coaches (including Mathews) were just throwing gasoline on the fire with the whole situation.  We weren't a "team".  Please read these posts thoroughly and quit posting idiotic comments, that in turn, causes me to have to reiterate FACTS that were stated previously.
[/quote]
Dude your crying about "certain players" getting special privileges. You sound like a freaking band member complaining to the principle about a football player getting away with something that they got busted for. Your whining worse than my 4 year old daughter. If your arguing that Coach Jeff Mathews isn't a good Coach and your basing your arguments on this then you are not worth arguing with.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1133052" timestamp="1322431174"]
[/quote]

Son, I've known this man since '94 when he was an assistant coach. You couldn't be more wrong. He took the time to answer my emails about this year's team while me and two others were working in Thailand. I know several kids who have played for Jeff and have NEVER heard the first bad thing about him. BTW, since you know so much about him and Pirate football you would know we went to the playoffs in 2000, not 2001. Or, are you another one of those from Lumberton stirring up trouble again? I see your a new person on the boards....
[/quote]
And robanadana, I am new on the boards because being an ex-Vidor Pirate under Mathews, my interest was piqued after I went to the Crosby game and saw the win.  I had to listen to how my Pirates were going to do against Montgomery because contrary to popular belief, I am still I Pirate at heart.  I had to voice my opinion in this thread because I felt like the truth had to be told on behalf of the others from my class.  I mean no disrespect to YOUR relationship to Mathews.  I, however, will stand up for what I saw with my own eyes and give this board an intuitive input in to what truly did happen behind closed doors.  If I would have meant to cause any true reputation harm to Coach Mathews, I would have done what the rest of the nation is doing and said he molested my brother or something, but that isn't the case.  The reality is it's what I witnessed and EXPERIENCED.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin