Does this answer the question...Should four teams from district go to playoffs??

Guest KHS 89

I think the argument can be made both ways, but this sure has been in 20-4A's favor this year with Vidor and Ozen pulling off big wins!!

When the district is as competitive as ours, it's nice to see these boys gat a chance to prove themselves to all these other "state recognized" programs.

[quote name="KHS 89" post="1124302" timestamp="1321738132"]
I think the argument can be made both ways, but this sure has been in 20-4A's favor this year with Vidor and Ozen pulling off big wins!!

[b]When the district is as competitive as ours,[/b] it's nice to see these boys gat a chance to prove themselves to all these other "state recognized" programs.
[/quote]

exactly... that's why the change was made, IMO. For those great districts out there that have very little dropoff from top to bottom. District 24 is rolling on as well with LM, Manvel, and Dawson. Their 4th place is out, but the argument still holds water.

I have no problem at all with 4 going from an 8 team district.  Over the years I've seen 3rd and 4th place teams get hot and go on a deep run.  They never would have had the opportunity otherwise.  ( I believe that  Livingston also would be a worthy playoff team this year if they had gotten in. )

Shouldn't 5 teams go from each district? 24-4a has a pretty good 5th place team that did not make the playoffs. That is certainly not fair considering they could have beat half of the teams that made the playoffs. How about 6 teams. Hell, let's put'em all in, even if you only have one district win. Trophies for everyone.

Why did the UIL let any team from 18-4a into the playoffs? Even their district champion could not win a bi-district game. All four of them lost in the first round. Is this fair to district 24-4a who could have had their 5th and 6th place team in? I wonder if Livingston, LCM, Central or Lumberton could have won a playoff game or two. We need to change the playoffs to where only deserving teams get in. How do we do that?

I'm with you Englebert. You deserve it by winning more district games. I'm not a fan of 4 teams in the playoffs in a district with 8 teams. It teaches mediocrity. Three should be the max , IMO, in a district with 8 teams, and 2 teams with a 6 team district.
Sure it's great that Ozen is doing well, but I bet there are not many other 4th place teams still in the playoffs. It's more the exception than the rule. Growing up, I can never remember being excited in the 100m dash when I finished in 4th place out of 8 runners.

I agree!!  Since we are a nation of touchy-feelys now and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, let's let all teams go to the playoffs.  Why not have a 0-10 make it?  2-8 teams do.  Let's just extend the embarrassment a little deeper!!    :-\

[quote name="Englebert" post="1124491" timestamp="1321741190"]
Shouldn't 5 teams go from each district? 24-4a has a pretty good 5th place team that did not make the playoffs. That is certainly not fair considering they could have beat half of the teams that made the playoffs. How about 6 teams. Hell, let's put'em all in, even if you only have one district win. Trophies for everyone.
[/quote]

[quote name="EZDawg" post="1124583" timestamp="1321744118"]
I'm with you Englebert. You deserve it by winning more district games. I'm not a fan of 4 teams in the playoffs in a district with 8 teams. It teaches mediocrity. Three should be the max , IMO, in a district with 8 teams, and 2 teams with a 6 team district.
Sure it's great that Ozen is doing well, but I bet there are not many other 4th place teams still in the playoffs. It's more the exception than the rule. Growing up, I can never remember being excited in the 100m dash when I finished in 4th place out of 8 runners.
[/quote]

Fellas, I don't think the issue is sending so many teams. It's the fact that Texas has so many kids in school it's hard demographically to make districts that are fair travel and otherwise to all the teams. It's either we take 4A and make two divisions out of it or we add more As on the top end (7A?) and the teams travel across the state according to their size. There are a heck of a lot more kids and schools now than there were in the 70s when I was a kid. It's no more unrealistic now than when we (Vidor) had to play in a 5A district in the 90s when we had the same number of kids as PNG or Nederland. We played in 4 team districts in the 70s. Simple math.

[quote name="smitty" post="1124607" timestamp="1321745029"]
I agree!!  Since we are a nation of touchy-feelys now and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, let's let all teams go to the playoffs.  Why not have a 0-10 make it?  [b]2-8 teams do.[/b]  Let's just extend the embarrassment a little deeper!!    :-\

Sticks & Stones.....Kirbyville's popularity knows no bounds... ;D ;D

[quote author=Englebert link=topic=91895.msg1124491#msg1124491 date=1321741190]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Sticks & Stones.....Kirbyville's popularity knows no bounds... ;D ;D

[quote name="FootBFan" post="1124633" timestamp="1321745982"]
Its because of the redistricting and Realignments of  the schools
[/quote]

California has to do the same thing. They split the state in half and the winners north and south play each other in a state championship. It's an issue for both states due to their size geographically and demographically. Think about this since the thread is about throwing everything back to the way it was in the 70s-80s, what if you couldn't make a school with over 2000 students? How many more schools would there be in Texas then????

[quote name="robanadana" post="1124622" timestamp="1321745571"]
[quote author=EZDawg link=topic=91895.msg1124583#msg1124583 date=1321744118]
[/quote]

Fellas, I don't think the issue is sending so many teams. It's the fact that Texas has so many kids in school it's hard demographically to make districts that are fair travel and otherwise to all the teams. It's either we take 4A and make two divisions out of it or we make 4A or add more As on the top end (7A?) and the teams travel across the state according to their size. There are a heck of a lot more kids and schools now than there were in the 70s when I was a kid. It's no more unrealistic now than when we (Vidor) had to play in a 5A district in the 90s when we had the same number of kids as PNG or Nederland. We played in 4 team districts in the 70s. Simple math.
[/quote]

I understand where you're coming from with travel and all, but back when you and I played, only the best team (s) made it to the playoffs, and it made it so that every game in district was important. Football (and sports in general) teach kids how to approach life. For example, I've observed a lot of young kids who want to work a 30 hour week and get paid a 40 hour week. Just look at the direction our country is going. I know AAW, we are suppose to discuss this in the political forum-sorry.  8)
For me, it's more about the bigger picture...Again, JMO.

[quote name="EZDawg" post="1124642" timestamp="1321746291"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=91895.msg1124622#msg1124622 date=1321745571]
[/quote]

No problem EZDawg and I agree with you about our spoiled kid. I like California's way of doing it, I work there quite a bit, maybe we should split the state. I don't know the answer...

Fellas, I don't think the issue is sending so many teams. It's the fact that Texas has so many kids in school it's hard demographically to make districts that are fair travel and otherwise to all the teams. It's either we take 4A and make two divisions out of it or we make 4A or add more As on the top end (7A?) and the teams travel across the state according to their size. There are a heck of a lot more kids and schools now than there were in the 70s when I was a kid. It's no more unrealistic now than when we (Vidor) had to play in a 5A district in the 90s when we had the same number of kids as PNG or Nederland. We played in 4 team districts in the 70s. Simple math.
[/quote]

I understand where you're coming from with travel and all, but back when you and I played, only the best team (s) made it to the playoffs, and it made it so that every game in district was important. Football (and sports in general) teach kids how to approach life. For example, I've observed a lot of young kids who want to work a 30 hour week and get paid a 40 hour week. Just look at the direction our country is going. I know AAW, we are suppose to discuss this in the political forum-sorry.  8)
[/quote]

[quote name="robanadana" post="1124641" timestamp="1321746279"]
[quote author=FootBFan link=topic=91895.msg1124633#msg1124633 date=1321745982]
Its because of the redistricting and Realignments of  the schools
[/quote]

[b]California[/b] has to do the same thing. They split the state in half and the winners north and south play each other in a state championship. It's an issue for both states due to their size geographically and demographically. Think about this since the thread is about throwing everything back to the way it was in the 70s-80s, what if you couldn't make a school with over 2000 students? How many more schools would there be in Texas then????
[/quote]
Anything California does, I hope Texas does the opposite. Their is currently a petition in Cali which is pushing for flag football to be played in HS b/c of injuries, etc. I don't think any of us want that here!

[quote name="robanadana" post="1124646" timestamp="1321746571"]
[quote author=EZDawg link=topic=91895.msg1124642#msg1124642 date=1321746291]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=91895.msg1124622#msg1124622 date=1321745571]
[/quote]

[b]No problem EZDawg and I agree with you about our spoiled kid. I like California's way of doing it, I work there quite a bit, maybe we should split the state. I don't know the answer...[/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Ya Robanadana, I don't know the answer either. It's definitely a concern for a lot of people, because it keeps on coming up. It's good to talk about so people can consider ideas from different people. I just hope they stop at four. A fear I have is that they allow all teams to make the playoffs. Many people say that will never happen. But it use to be 1 until the mid-80's, then went to 3 in the early 90's, and now it's 4. At this pace, it looks like 5 teams from each district is just around the corner. I hope that never happens...

[quote name="EZDawg" post="1124642" timestamp="1321746291"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Read my signature. The older generation always thinks the younger generation is gonna destroy the world. It hasnt happened yet. Kids are kids are kids, the kids now aren't much different from kids when you were growing up.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1124712" timestamp="1321749607"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Read my signature. The older generation always thinks the younger generation is gonna destroy the world. It hasnt happened yet. Kids are kids are kids, the kids now aren't much different from kids when you were growing up.
[/quote]

So what happened to the Romans?

[quote name="Englebert" post="1124720" timestamp="1321749895"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=91895.msg1124712#msg1124712 date=1321749607]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They became Italians 8)

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1124723" timestamp="1321750168"]
[quote author=Englebert link=topic=91895.msg1124720#msg1124720 date=1321749895]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=91895.msg1124712#msg1124712 date=1321749607]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They became Italians 8)
[/quote]

;D ;D  8)

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They became Italians 8)
[/quote]

Touche!  :D Gotta love this board...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They became Italians 8)
[/quote]

Dang guidos....LOL. well, it could be worse, us Cabins got kicked out of two countries. Only reason we stayed in Louisiana is because no one else would dare live there. Haha.

[quote name="kicker" post="1124742" timestamp="1321750773"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=91895.msg1124723#msg1124723 date=1321750168]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They became Italians 8)
[/quote]

Dang guidos....LOL. well, it could be worse, us Cabins got kicked out of two countries. Only reason we stayed in Louisiana is because no one else would dare live there. Haha.
[/quote]

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833