UH Adds 6 JUCO Players to 2012 Signing Class

Guest UHCoog14

Guest UHCoog14
Nov. 15, 2011

HOUSTON - University of Houston head baseball coach Todd Whitting announced the signing of six additional student-athletes to National Letters of Intent on Tuesday. The additions to Whitting's second signing class include an infielder, catcher and four pitchers.

Here is a look at each member of the 2012 signing class and recruiting coordinator Trip Couch's thoughts on each player.

CALEB BARKER - C - KELLER, TEXAS - GRAYSON CC/KELLER HS
"Caleb is a solid defender behind the plate. He has very good hands and an accurate arm. He is a veteran player that has great leadership ability behind the plate. Playing for coach Dusty Hart at Grayson, Caleb will catch some of the better junior college arms in the state this season. We are excited to bring Caleb in as he is a big, strong kid that really has a feel to catch."

BRANDON BRENNAN - RHP - SAN JUAN CAMPISTRANO, CALIF. - ORANGE COAST CC/CAMPISTRANO VALLEY (CA) HS
Brennan was a 40th-round pick by the Colorado Rockies in the 2010 Major League Baseball draft out of high school.

"Brandon is a big, strong, physical kid with a great arm. He plays for former Cougar John Altobelli at perennial southern California power Orange Coast Community College. Brandon will bring veteran experience as he was at Oregon for a year before transferring to OCCC. We are excited to bring in a guy with the tools to pitch that Brandon has. He has a 90-93 mph fastball and an 84-86 mph slider. He should step right into our staff and contribute immediately."

TYLER FORD - LHP - RICHMOND, TEXAS - ALVIN CC/FB TRAVIS HS
"Tyler is a left-handed reliever that will strengthen our bullpen immediately. Playing for Coach Brian Alexander and former Cougar Jason Schreiber at Alvin, Tyler was a key contributor to the Dolphins' success last year. Featuring a fastball that can get to 93 mph and the ability to spin a curveball up to 80 mph, Tyler brings with him the weapons to be a big addition to our pitching staff."

DANIEL PONCE DE LEON - RHP - LA MIRANDA, CALIF. - CYPRESS COLLEGE/ARIZONA
Ponce De Leon was a 24th-round pick by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 2010 Major League Baseball draft.
"Daniel is a 6-4 right-handed pitcher from Cypress College in California and attended the University of Arizona as a freshman. Playing for coach Scott Pickler at Cypress, Daniel is expected to be a key contributor on this year's staff. He brings a classic pitcher's body, armed with an 89-92 mph fastball and a 74-76 mph curveball. He has all the tools to come in and compete for a spot in our rotation right away. We are very excited to add someone of his ability and experience to our club."

DYLAN RUCKER - RHP - ARLINGTON, TEXAS - EASTFIELD COLLEGE/ARLINGTON MARTIN
"Dylan was the No. 1 pitcher last year for the NJCAA Div. III national champions. A big strong kid, Rucker is a strike thrower and has the ability to throw a breaking ball for strikes. Dylan is another kid from a winning program and knows what it takes to win championships. We are excited to add him to our staff as another veteran presence."

CHRIS WAYLOCK - INF - CARY, ILL. - IOWA WESTERN CC/CARY-GROVE HS
Waylock as a 43rd round pick by the Cleveland Indians in the 2010 Major League Baseball draft out of high school.

"Chris is a hard-nosed guy that was the starting shortstop on the World Series team at Iowa Western as a freshman. From Cary Ill., Chris brings a reliable glove as well as the ability to swing the bat. We are excited to bring a veteran infielder into our program that comes from a championship team, which is a key to the advancement of our program."

Pats...
You guys also have a preferred walk-on from Angelina College/Woodlands...Lefty, Ryan Bonnot.
Good kid who has a good chance to contribute.
Also, noticed Austin Pruitt on the roster, from Navarro. Played on the Heat with Kendall.
Was he at UH last year ? He was lights out his freshman year at Navarro.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="EAGLE07" post="1119888" timestamp="1321454139"]
Pats...
You guys also have a preferred walk-on from Angelina College/Woodlands...Lefty, Ryan Bonnot.
Also, noticed Austin Pruitt on the roster, from Navarro. Played on the Heat with Kendall.
[/quote]

Don't know the name. That does not mean much though.
The pitching was very good this fall.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1119927" timestamp="1321455841"]
[quote author=EAGLE07 link=topic=91694.msg1119888#msg1119888 date=1321454139]
Pats...
[/quote]

Don't know the name. That does not mean much though.
The pitching was very good this fall.
[/quote]

I am ready for February 17th.  ;D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="BringinTheHeat" post="1135431" timestamp="1322669698"]
I know we went to a camp a few weeks back at U of H and it seemed all they were looking at were pitchers. Looks like that is the majority of what they picked up. Seemed like just a moneymaker for them. Not impressed with the camp. We do like U of H though. Good luck this season.
[/quote]

Rule Number 1 for college baseball: Coaches always want pitching. You could have 15 arms and they want to add to that. You can never have enough.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="BringinTheHeat" post="1135431" timestamp="1322669698"]
I know we went to a camp a few weeks back at U of H and it seemed all they were looking at were pitchers. Looks like that is the majority of what they picked up. Seemed like just a moneymaker for them. Not impressed with the camp. We do like U of H though. Good luck this season.
[/quote]

[b][u]Rule No. 2[/u][/b]:
Baseball camps are money makers. It's no different than paying UA Baseball Factory $450 or some of these "tryouts" that I see posted on here from time to time that are charging $250 per position to have a group of "23 College Coaches" look at you.

Scholarship opportunities for position players are earned and lost in the Summer. Pitchers have a magic number: 88-90+

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1135446" timestamp="1322670396"]
[quote author=BringinTheHeat link=topic=91694.msg1135431#msg1135431 date=1322669698]
[/quote]

Baseball camps are money makers. It's no different than paying UA Baseball Factory $450 or some of these "tryouts" that I see posted on here from time to time that are charging $250 per position to have a group of "23 College Coaches" look at you.

Scholarship opportunities for position players are earned and lost in the Summer. [b]Pitchers have a magic number: 88-90+[/b]
[/quote]

Being a lefty doesn't hurt either.  ;)

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="1135464" timestamp="1322671376"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=91694.msg1135446#msg1135446 date=1322670396]
[quote author=BringinTheHeat link=topic=91694.msg1135431#msg1135431 date=1322669698]
[/quote]

Scholarship opportunities for position players are earned and lost in the Summer. [b]Pitchers have a magic number: 88-90+[/b]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What I would give to be left handed. Jealous of everyone who is haha.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="EAGLE07" post="1135464" timestamp="1322671376"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We are currently trying to teach my 9 year old how to throw left handed. Heck, it worked for Billy Wagner.
(We do not want to break his arm to accomplish this.)

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1135470" timestamp="1322671730"]
[quote author=EAGLE07 link=topic=91694.msg1135464#msg1135464 date=1322671376]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We are currently trying to teach my 9 year old how to throw left handed. Heck, it worked for Billy Wagner.
[/quote]

Tie his right arm behind his back ;)

[quote name="AJ25" post="1135472" timestamp="1322671772"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=91694.msg1135470#msg1135470 date=1322671730]
[quote author=EAGLE07 link=topic=91694.msg1135464#msg1135464 date=1322671376]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tie his right arm behind his back ;)
[/quote]

That's what we did.................nah, just kidding. Got lucky.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder