*** OZEN vs BRENHAM ***

SgtRey

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1121609" timestamp="1321591234"]
[quote author=bmtqj33 link=topic=91404.msg1121600#msg1121600 date=1321590895]
LET'S GO [b]O[/b]  ;)
[/quote]
And what would be the key for an Ozen win?
[/quote]He's not going to say. He's a cheerleader fan.  I've questioned him before.  90% of his posts are 'Go Ozen'.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this.  I know it's a stretch, but I'll try to break down the similarities.  This Cub team reminds me of Nederland in a sense:

1. Strong defense (although Brenham is light years ahead of Big Ned (No disrespect intended)).

2. Medeocre Offense (again, see information from #1)

3. Great Coaching

Now, this Cub teams, intagebles are they have raw talent all over the field.

What Ozen has is an underrated Defense that makes stops when it counts.  They don't shut you down, but they have just enough athletes to give you heck at the end of games or on key possesions.  They have speed and size as well.  Ozen's offense can be explosive.  Best way to  handle them is to take them out is to get them out of sync early.  Maybe bring out the old Ozen where they make mistakes with snaps over the head and false starts.  Now, Ozen have not shown this tendancy in a while, so don't bank on this happening this late in the season.  Also, don't give Ozen's offense an incentive to get fired up.  Don't allow Ozen to find a chink in your armor.  Maybe a run to the left or a pass up the middle or an undecisive safety.  If so, you may have some problems.  They have the horses to  go  toe to toe with you.  They have a young emerging star at WR which is Texas a&M star Christine Michael's little brother that compliments their go to man Wideout Nelson, so Ozen won't be a slouch.  They will need a perfect game to hang around with you guys, but at the same time, you may want to put them away early.  if you don't and let them hang around, you're setting youself up for a long drive back to the Blue Bell ranch.

[quote name="87Cub" post="1121446" timestamp="1321581832"]
[quote author=LP6 link=topic=91404.msg1121442#msg1121442 date=1321581474]
[quote author=Cub90 link=topic=91404.msg1121363#msg1121363 date=1321576305]
[quote author=Lions#80 link=topic=91404.msg1120880#msg1120880 date=1321539734]
Saturday will show Brenham is overrated :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
[/quote]
???  Lion, how bout I throw a video link up showing a 290 lb DT from Brenham running down a wide receiver from Stratford?  EVERY TEAM from 17-4A is playing in the 2nd round...teams that the Cubs outscored 89-23.  Perhaps your comment is just an attempt to spark an attack.  It doesn't piss me off, it amuses me.  Let me know if I should throw some HD clips on Youtube and provide the link.  The Cubs are no slouches and they are NOT overrated.  ;)
[/quote]
Overrated? Lol, do you not see how many division 1 recruits are on that team?
[/quote]

Unfortunately, all of that D1 talent sometimes causes issues with the team effect.  In 2006 one of those recruits caused some loss of focus, and once again last year it happened.  I feel that the returning players on this team, as well as the coaching staff learned a valuable lesson from last year.  The focus is on the team aspect, and last year that was not the case.  I just love watching these guys play.
[/quote]

Last year wasn't the cause of a recruit causing us to lose focus...many people didn't understand that we were taking it one game at a time just like this team was. But it was seriously Murphy's law, everything that can go wrong will. I'm not making excuses of course, Kingwood Park earned their win. But our loss wasn't do to loss unfortunately.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1121719" timestamp="1321620972"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=91404.msg1121609#msg1121609 date=1321591234]
LET'S GO [b]O[/b]  ;)
[/quote]
[/quote]He's not going to say. He's a cheerleader fan.  I've questioned him before.  90% of his posts are 'Go Ozen'.
[/quote]1st of all not a cheerleader fan! 2nd tied of tell fock what the PANTHERS r made of ;) so i'll let the PANTHERS do the talking on the feild! with that said  ;D      [b]LET'S GO PANTHERS[/b] ;)

[quote name="bmtqj33" post="1121771" timestamp="1321626051"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=91404.msg1121719#msg1121719 date=1321620972]
LET'S GO [b]O[/b]  ;)
[/quote]
[/quote]1st of all not a cheerleader fan! 2nd tied of tell folk what the PANTHERS r made of ;) so i'll let the PANTHERS do the talking on the feild! with that said  ;D      [b]LET'S GO PANTHERS[/b] ;)
[/quote]

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1121741" timestamp="1321623273"]
I'll say this.  I know it's a stretch, but I'll try to break down the similarities.  This Cub team reminds me of Nederland in a sense:

1. Strong defense (although Brenham is light years ahead of Big Ned (No disrespect intended)).

3. Great Coaching

What Ozen has is an underrated Defense that makes stops when it counts.  They don't shut you down, but they have just enough athletes to give you heck at the end of games or on key possesions.  They have speed and size as well.  Ozen's offense can be explosive.  Best way to  handle them is to take them out is to get them out of sync early.  Maybe bring out the old Ozen where they make mistakes with snaps over the head and false starts.  Now, Ozen have not shown this tendancy in a while, so don't bank on this happening this late in the season.  Also, don't give Ozen's offense an incentive to get fired up.  Don't allow Ozen to find a chink in your armor.  Maybe a run to the left or a pass up the middle or an undecisive safety.  If so, you may have some problems.  They have the horses to  go  toe to toe with you.  They have a young emerging star at WR which is Texas a&M star Christine Michael's little brother that compliments their go to man Wideout Nelson, so Ozen won't be a slouch.  They will need a perfect game to hang around with you guys, but at the same time, you may want to put them away early.  if you don't and let them hang around, you're setting youself up for a long drive back to the Blue Bell ranch.
[/quote]good post :)

I agree totally, with the previous post.  I am an Ozen supporter, but can give my unbiased assessment.  Many may disagree with this, but the truth is most of Ozen's losses were due to their own mistakes and not necessarily because the other team was better.  Of course a win is a win, and some of those mistakes came under the pressure of the other team's defense.  However, I've watched this team turn a corner so to speak, and confirm what fans have known for a while... that they are a much better team than their record suggests.  They are loaded with talent and potential and several weeks ago began to play together and do whatever it takes to win games.  After several disappointing seasons it has taken them time to learn how to win.  I think they now know that they can win and simply aren't afraid of any opponent.  It is common practice to look at a team's record and make a surface assessment, but this is not the same team that began the season in losing fashion.  Yes they needed help to get in the playoffs, but they also had to win to stay in the playoffs.  They were counted out by most against Barber's Hill and won.  They tremendous underdogs this week too, and think that makes conditions ripe for an upset.  I personally have not seen Brenham play, but have heard all the hype and Brenham supporters declare they've already won it all.  They look impressive on paper, but they still have to play the game Saturday.  I'm looking forward to a great one as I know that Ozen is capable of winning this game if they play like I know they can.  Brenham nor any other High School team is unbeatable(except maybe Katy  ;)LOL!).  Prayers for a safe, clean game, and traveling grace for players and fans!

P.S.-  Let's go Panthers! ;D

[quote name="bmtqj33" post="1121775" timestamp="1321626495"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=91404.msg1121741#msg1121741 date=1321623273]

3. Great Coaching

[/quote]
Agreed, very good post.  I will be the first to tell you that I know nothing about Ozen football.  As a matter of fact the only thing I know about the school at all, is that they have knocked the Brenham basketball team out of the playoffs a couple of times.  These were years in which Brenham had a couple of it's deepest teams ever.  Anyway, the first thing that will stand out to a CASUAL fan is the fact that Ozen finished 5-5 in the regular season.  An average team at best, right?  Well, what I see when I look at their schedule is a team that started off the season with losses to two 5A playoff teams in West Brook and Memorial, and with the exception of the PNG game, was IN every one of the other losses.  I also noticed that they turned the ball over 5 times in that game against PNG.  I have seen all kind of posts about Barbers Hill, and how they went 9-1 in a soft district.  All that I have to say about that is that they beat Dayton.  And as a Brenham fan, I KNOW that Dayton is always a quality team.  My point is that Ozen found a way to get it done in the regular season, AND they found a way to get it done against BH.  That makes them legit....PERIOD.  You are right in saying that the Cubs need to put them away early, and run the clock.  Last week the Cubs had a 21-3 lead at the half and went on a 16 play, 94 yard drive(ALL RUNNING PLAYS), that consumed over 8 minutes of the third quarter.  If you get down 28-3, with 15 minutes against this team, GAME OVER!  IMO, in the playoffs defense, and ball control win games.  Coach West is not about running up the score, he is about running out the clock.  My only disagreement about the post is about Brenham's offense being mediocre.  The defense is definitely the "CROWN JEWEL", of this team, but I would have to say that the offense does a wonderful job in a supportive effort of the defense.  They don't make a lot of mistakes, and they run the clock.  I would categorize the offense as "GOOD". 
Anyway, is it Saturday yet?

[b][/b][quote name="ice74" post="1121871" timestamp="1321631963"]
I agree totally, with the previous post.  I am an Ozen supporter, but can give my unbiased assessment.  Many may disagree with this, but the truth is most of Ozen's losses were due to their own mistakes and not necessarily because the other team was better.  Of course a win is a win, and some of those mistakes came under the pressure of the other team's defense.  However, I've watched this team turn a corner so to speak, and confirm what fans have known for a while... that they are a much better team than their record suggests.  They are loaded with talent and potential and several weeks ago began to play together and do whatever it takes to win games.  After several disappointing seasons it has taken them time to learn how to win.  I think they now know that they can win and simply aren't afraid of any opponent.  It is common practice to look at a team's record and make a surface assessment, but this is not the same team that began the season in losing fashion.  Yes they needed help to get in the playoffs, but they also had to win to stay in the playoffs.  They were counted out by most against Barber's Hill and won.  They tremendous underdogs this week too, and think that makes conditions ripe for an upset.  [b][color=red]I personally have not seen Brenham play, but have heard all the hype and Brenham supporters declare they've already won it all.[/color][/b]  They look impressive on paper, but they still have to play the game Saturday.  I'm looking forward to a great one as I know that Ozen is capable of winning this game if they play like I know they can.  Brenham nor any other High School team is unbeatable(except maybe Katy  ;)LOL!).  Prayers for a safe, clean game, and traveling grace for players and fans!

[/quote]
Agreed, but TRUST ME, any fan who is posting on here with that attitude is just blowing hot air....

[quote name="87Cub" post="1121872" timestamp="1321632005"]
[quote author=bmtqj33 link=topic=91404.msg1121775#msg1121775 date=1321626495]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=91404.msg1121741#msg1121741 date=1321623273]

3. Great Coaching

[/quote]
Agreed, very good post.  I will be the first to tell you that I know nothing about Ozen football.  As a matter of fact the only thing I know about the school at all, is that they have knocked the Brenham basketball team out of the playoffs a couple of times.  These were years in which Brenham had a couple of it's deepest teams ever.  Anyway, the first thing that will stand out to a CASUAL fan is the fact that Ozen finished 5-5 in the regular season.  An average team at best, right?  Well, what I see when I look at their schedule is a team that started off the season with losses to two 5A playoff teams in West Brook and Memorial, and with the exception of the PNG game, was IN every one of the other losses.  I also noticed that they turned the ball over 5 times in that game against PNG.  I have seen all kind of posts about Barbers Hill, and how they went 9-1 in a soft district.  All that I have to say about that is that they beat Dayton.  And as a Brenham fan, I KNOW that Dayton is always a quality team.  My point is that Ozen found a way to get it done in the regular season, AND they found a way to get it done against BH.  That makes them legit....PERIOD.  You are right in saying that the Cubs need to put them away early, and run the clock.  Last week the Cubs had a 21-3 lead at the half and went on a 16 play, 94 yard drive(ALL RUNNING PLAYS), that consumed over 8 minutes of the third quarter.  If you get down 28-3, with 15 minutes against this team, GAME OVER!  IMO, in the playoffs defense, and ball control win games.  Coach West is not about running up the score, he is about running out the clock.  My only disagreement about the post is about Brenham's offense being mediocre.  The defense is definitely the "CROWN JEWEL", of this team, but I would have to say that the offense does a wonderful job in a supportive effort of the defense.  They don't make a lot of mistakes, and they run the clock.  I would categorize the offense as "GOOD". 
Anyway, is it Saturday yet?
[/quote]No, not  yet.  lol

[quote name="87Cub" post="1121877" timestamp="1321632222"]
[b][/b][quote author=ice74 link=topic=91404.msg1121871#msg1121871 date=1321631963]
I agree totally, with the previous post.  I am an Ozen supporter, but can give my unbiased assessment.  Many may disagree with this, but the truth is most of Ozen's losses were due to their own mistakes and not necessarily because the other team was better.  Of course a win is a win, and some of those mistakes came under the pressure of the other team's defense.  However, I've watched this team turn a corner so to speak, and confirm what fans have known for a while... that they are a much better team than their record suggests.  They are loaded with talent and potential and several weeks ago began to play together and do whatever it takes to win games.  After several disappointing seasons it has taken them time to learn how to win.  I think they now know that they can win and simply aren't afraid of any opponent.  It is common practice to look at a team's record and make a surface assessment, but this is not the same team that began the season in losing fashion.  Yes they needed help to get in the playoffs, but they also had to win to stay in the playoffs.  They were counted out by most against Barber's Hill and won.  They tremendous underdogs this week too, and think that makes conditions ripe for an upset.  [b][color=red]I personally have not seen Brenham play, but have heard all the hype and Brenham supporters declare they've already won it all.[/color][/b]  They look impressive on paper, but they still have to play the game Saturday.  I'm looking forward to a great one as I know that Ozen is capable of winning this game if they play like I know they can.  Brenham nor any other High School team is unbeatable(except maybe Katy  ;)LOL!).  Prayers for a safe, clean game, and traveling grace for players and fans!

[/quote]
Agreed, but TRUST ME, any fan who is posting on here with that attitude is just blowing hot air....
[/quote]

Any Cub supporter who has suggested that should look at last year once again.  We were penciled in by many to be in Cowboys Stadium in December playing a rematch against Aledo.  Well, we know how that turned out.  Trust me, the players and coaching staff are taking this one game at a time and will take Ozen seriously.  You gotta take care of business every week against every team.

All coaches feel and play the same way.It's kids vs kids and all make mistakes.Sometimes the ball bounces the wrong way and anything can happen and the wheels come off.You gotta overcome things,let the ones that cost you-Go.Call a time out and regroup.Good luck may the ball bounce right for your team 8)

DCTF Prediction

Region III

Brenham vs. Beaumont Ozen, 1:30 Saturday at Aldine’s Thorne Stadium
You have to admire Beaumont Ozen's pluck — a week after it strung together a wild series of events to qualify on the final day of the regular season, it stormed back late in the game and snatched a victory away from heavily-favored Barbers Hill. There's no quit in this Trey Green-led offense, that's for sure. But Brenham will offer up something else that neither Barbers Hill (nor anyone else, for that matter) did or will — an elite-of-the-elite defense, led by DT Malcolm Brown and LB Tim Cole. Add in WR Tremund Moore, who has just decimated opposing secondaries this year, and Brenham is one of the best left alive in all of 4A. The Cubs are still my pick to win the DII title.
Travis' pick: Brenham 38, Ozen 13

[quote name="ice74" post="1121871" timestamp="1321631963"]
I agree totally, with the previous post.  I am an Ozen supporter, but can give my unbiased assessment.  Many may disagree with this, but the truth is most of Ozen's losses were due to their own mistakes and not necessarily because the other team was better.  Of course a win is a win, and some of those mistakes came under the pressure of the other team's defense.  However, I've watched this team turn a corner so to speak, and confirm what fans have known for a while... that they are a much better team than their record suggests.  They are loaded with talent and potential and several weeks ago began to play together and do whatever it takes to win games.  After several disappointing seasons it has taken them time to learn how to win.  I think they now know that they can win and simply aren't afraid of any opponent.  It is common practice to look at a team's record and make a surface assessment, but this is not the same team that began the season in losing fashion.  Yes they needed help to get in the playoffs, but they also had to win to stay in the playoffs.  They were counted out by most against Barber's Hill and won.  They tremendous underdogs this week too, and think that makes conditions ripe for an upset.  I personally have not seen Brenham play, but have heard all the hype and Brenham supporters declare they've already won it all.  They look impressive on paper, but they still have to play the game Saturday.  I'm looking forward to a great one as I know that Ozen is capable of winning this game if they play like I know they can.  Brenham nor any other High School team is unbeatable(except maybe Katy  ;)LOL!).  Prayers for a safe, clean game, and traveling grace for players and fans!

[/quote]I saw Brenham and Montgomery play and I believe Ozen has a chance for an upset if you want to call it that.

I think alot of Brenham's opponents fans need to realize that their expectations are set a bar higher than most because of the programs past success. Maybe not a state championship yet but they are usually in the conversation. We have to deal with them every year in district and keep getting close. Believe me it gets old hearing about them but most programs just wish to establish the reputation that they have going. They are not hype they have earned the talk. They have good teams on quote rebuilding years because of coaching. Our bar is set to beat them and one day clear that. Go Brenham and 17-4A!

[quote name="bmtqj33" post="1121771" timestamp="1321626051"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=91404.msg1121719#msg1121719 date=1321620972]
LET'S GO [b]O[/b]  ;)
[/quote]
[/quote]1st of all not a cheerleader fan! 2nd tied of tell fock what the PANTHERS r made of ;) so i'll let the PANTHERS do the talking on the feild! with that said  ;D      [b]LET'S GO PANTHERS[/b] ;)
[/quote]

This is for the PANTHERS.
Let's GO PANTHERS, home for the season because The BRENHAM CUBS whoop us!  :) :) :)

[quote name="Monkeynuts" post="1122133" timestamp="1321648748"]
I think alot of Brenham's opponents fans need to realize that their expectations are set a bar higher than most because of the programs past success. Maybe not a state championship yet but they are usually in the conversation. We have to deal with them every year in district and keep getting close. Believe me it gets old hearing about them but most programs just wish to establish the reputation that they have going. They are not hype they have earned the talk. They have good teams on quote rebuilding years because of coaching. Our bar is set to beat them and one day clear that. Go Brenham and 17-4A!
[/quote]

Good post!  The last 5 years the game between us has been decided by 7 points or less.  One of these days I'm sure y'all will get us.  BTW, Bolfing has done a great job turning your team around!

Guest beechnut
[quote name="Mark F Barnes" post="1114760" timestamp="1321113736"]
Ozen has yet to face a six in the box threat that lurks in the land of cookies and cream. I'm being very serious in saying, the offensive line for Ozen will be overwhelmed, and Mr. Green may have escaped the rushes of Lumberton, Livingston, etc. etc. NONE of the teams on their schedule have the defensive firepower of the Ice Cream Boys.

Sorry to break it to ya...but it's going to be ugly........ Cubbies by 5 TD's
[/quote]

Are you going?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder