Conroe Oak Ridge vs. Baytown Sterling Game Thread/Oak Ridge wins!

WOSgrad

I have heard the same thing about some players skipping or leaving early from film study and even practices...One being the starting QB for the Lee game who is now playing defense. If true, not sure what kind of message it sends to the rest of the players if he is then allowed to play anything period.

20 of the 60 kids show up for film? Move up the younger kids and cut the fat.

And thats the whole point of this offense, for lesser skilled players to be able to hang with more athletic teams , IE like army/navy occasionally hanging with Notre Dame or the sec but if the kids dont buy into it or they are not committed you get what we are seeing on Friday nights. Again if they dont beat Pasadena its going to be 0-10

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1061268" timestamp="1316535304"]
The Jr. High feeder schools are not fully implementing this offense so the kids will be starting fresh in 9th grade.  The skill players are not buying into this system at the high school level.  There is a lack of committment from the players and no real consequences.  Talent is always important.  But, they have kids miss practice and still play.  They have roughly 20 of the 60 kids show up for day after the game workout/film study with no consequences.

This offense requires machine like reactions.  You only get there through study and repetition and we do not have that from most of the players.  I have seen teams with lesser talent beat more talented teams because they had a high level of committment and it showed on the field.

These coaches may talk it but do not walk it consistently.  So a system that requires such dedication coupled with players that are not dedicated and coaches that do not hold kids accountable is going to lead to more years of bad football at RSS.  On top of that, you have coaches that are not putting the ball in play makers hands in the right situations.  Putting a receiver in a RB position or putting a RB in a QB position is tough...they don't think the way the position is supposed to play.

I hope the Jr. High coaches do avoid this offense so that this hire doesnt set us back multiple years once this guys contract is up.
[/quote]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, kids have missed the workout and film session since the Rayburn scrimmage with no consequences.  The number missing has been going up ever since.  He did recently boot 2 players (1 a starter the other a former starter) for fighting.  But as far as missing practice during the week or workout and film session after a game, there are not any consequence, especially if you are a starter.  He will tell the kids he is going to do something but then come game time he lets the kid play.  Not only does it show in the performance but it lets the other kids know there are 2 sets of rules.  I am sure a few of them may miss on Saturdays due to jobs but we are talking over half the team not showing up.

You have to instill discipline in the beginning for everyone and be consistent.  We are not winning anyway.  He may as well start disciplining everyone even if that means playing someone with less physical talent but mentally prepared to play and committed to the program.  With this offense, you cannot get by with players that are only committed when they choose to show up.

In my opinion, the defense is doing a much better job than last year.  It shows at the beginning of the game in their preparation and throughout the game in their adjustments.  Yes, they get down and worn out after having to bail out the offense but much improved from last year.

The offense is another story.

Coach probably did not realize what he was getting himself into with a program like Sterling.
Different type of student-athlete at Clear Lake being raised in a different type of household.

The Rangers are too bad of a team to be keeping anyone around that is skipping practices, etc.
If you are going to stink anyways, at least stink with players giving their all.

[quote author=ThirdDay link=topic=88371.msg1061268#msg1061268
I hope the Jr. High coaches do avoid this offense so that this hire doesnt set us back multiple years once this guys contract is up.
[/quote]

That's the problem, the jr high coaches should be doing exactly what the high school coaches tell them.  I know there are plenty of good jr high coaches out there but in my sons case I really believe it has hurt them versus the competition in high school.

There are some good jr high coaches. I saw Barbers Hill jr high play last week and they actually look good running this offense. They looked much more disciplined than anything I have seen at rss. Is the discipline and commitment coming as a result of the parents or the coaches or both.

RSS has shown it doesn't come from the players.  For whatever reason the players are not committed. Maybe the parents/players just don't care or the coaches are not sticking to their guns. Or a combination of it all. These coaches have to be tempted to be lenient or forgiving when it comes to the starters because they have to find a way to win or lose their job.

I just hope that in a few years when my kids days of optimist/pop warner/  ball are over and we get into the jr high high school program it is straightened out.

honestly, i think the lack of execution on offense really stems from the fact that they don't have a quarterback that knows how to run the offense correctly...this offense is supposed to be an equalizer for teams that have a smaller offensive line and less talent...it is a misdirection type thing, actually similar to the spread but you hand it off and toss instead of throw the ball...but the QBs had no experience in it prior to this year and its killing them, they either make a bad read or time after time after time hold the ball too long and wait too long to make a decision (which means they get clobbered and fumble because the o-line is up the field making blocks on the secondary like they are supposed to)...the good thing is the 2 new QBs they are using are sophomores (or so i over heard at the stadium) so they should learn, but the bad thing is that will take plenty of time for them to do...

one thing though, the one quarterback that is tiny (probably 5'5" 140 lbs or something like that) needs to be in JV, but not because of play but because of size...im honestly afraid for that kid when we get in district...it is just going to take one play where they hold the ball too long and a monster DT is going to crush him....i guess we don't have anyone else to put out there and the kid has shown some good instincts on some plays, but i think they need to let the kid grow a little more and put him back there next year...

anyway, just my opinion from one of the rare RSS alums that goes and watches their games with no other attachment to RSS other than i graduated there...

I wouldnt call it misdirection but it does have multiple reads. Most of the plays look the same, fullback crashing the middle, QB reading the DE either handing off or pulling it to run the option. Nothing to me that looks like counters or backside screens. but you are right about the QB's ,the Sr actually has talent but not enough commitment. The sophs are just young and that litle one cant throw at all. He is really tough but like you said so small. The problem with him is I think he is grown, he looked just like that in 8th grade. He will lay the wood to you but just doesnt have much weight behind it.

Sahen you are a dying breed and i give you props for the continued support.

Hopefully they get a W tonight for the kids.

[quote name="sahen" post="1062060" timestamp="1316626801"]
honestly, i think the lack of execution on offense really stems from the fact that they don't have a quarterback that knows how to run the offense correctly...this offense is supposed to be an equalizer for teams that have a smaller offensive line and less talent...it is a misdirection type thing, actually similar to the spread but you hand it off and toss instead of throw the ball...but the QBs had no experience in it prior to this year and its killing them, they either make a bad read or time after time after time hold the ball too long and wait too long to make a decision (which means they get clobbered and fumble because the o-line is up the field making blocks on the secondary like they are supposed to)...the good thing is the 2 new QBs they are using are sophomores (or so i over heard at the stadium) so they should learn, but the bad thing is that will take plenty of time for them to do...

one thing though, the one quarterback that is tiny (probably 5'5" 140 lbs or something like that) needs to be in JV, but not because of play but because of size...im honestly afraid for that kid when we get in district...it is just going to take one play where they hold the ball too long and a monster DT is going to crush him....i guess we don't have anyone else to put out there and the kid has shown some good instincts on some plays, but i think they need to let the kid grow a little more and put him back there next year...

anyway, just my opinion from one of the rare RSS alums that goes and watches their games with no other attachment to RSS other than i graduated there...
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder