Prewitt is getting screwed around

I am pretty sick of all this and honestly have been contemplating deleting my account here and on the other board.  I think I can find more productive use of my time.  Having said that, one reason ( and I believe I am in that camp ) that some people really are rooting for Prewitt is he has the makings of a classic underdog story.  Walk on who performs well above expectations and shows real signs of promise.  For God's sake, that is Woodard's story.  Truth is if he were starting he would still have some bumps in the road on the trail of experience, the same thing that Jeremy Johnson will have.  The difference between the two is raw athletic ablility that can be measured in time and distance.  That is where you get star rankings by recruiting services that set higher expectations and gives a kid the inside track on starting.  Without a doubt breakaway speed in the game of football is absolutely a great skill to have.  I, like everyone else want LU to succeed and hope that they do.  I personally need to step back and just go watch the games that I can and root for the Cards and leave the debates you guys.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1055267" timestamp="1315840159"]
I am pretty sick of all this and honestly have been contemplating deleting my account here and on the other board.  I think I can find more productive use of my time.  Having said that, one reason ( and I believe I am in that camp ) that some people really are rooting for Prewitt is he has the makings of a classic underdog story.  Walk on who performs well above expectations and shows real signs of promise.  For God's sake, that is Woodard's story.  Truth is if he were starting he would still have some bumps in the road on the trail of experience, the same thing that Jeremy Johnson will have.  The difference between the two is raw athletic ablility that can be measured in time and distance.  That is where you get star rankings by recruiting services that set higher expectations and gives a kid the inside track on starting.  Without a doubt breakaway speed in the game of football is absolutely a great skill to have.  I, like everyone else want LU to succeed and hope that they do.  I personally need to step back and just go watch the games that I can and root for the Cards and leave the debates you guys.
[/quote]

While you are certainly free to delete your account, I hope you do not.  Our debates aside, you have brought some well thought viewpoints not only to this forum, but in others as well.  Despite these threads, I don't believe that anyone that posts here really want the Cards to fall on their faces.  I think everyone that just has their different idea on how LU can travel the road to success.  Right now, though, the choices of one man is what we all live with.  While not all choose to trust that he is making the right moves, I choose to do his dead level best to get Lamar football to where we all want it to be.  After this weekend, even I have to admit that it appeared we were short in some areas....but I know full well that he is evaluating those choices as well and will make the adjustments when and where they are necessary.

North, I apologize if I posted anything to make you feel this way. I agree with WOSgrad and you are a valuable poster where ever you are putting your thought on a message board. I just get a little fired up when others think they know more about a situation than the coaches staff. That doesn't just go for Lamar. We could be talking about some HS team and I'd feel the same way. The coaches job is to win games. I'm sure Woodard wants to do well at Lamar and make a name for himself and maybe move on in a few years as I'm not ignorant to the fact FCS is not the top level of college football. He may want to get a bigger gig one day.

[quote name="Le Sgt Rey (French)" post="1055799" timestamp="1315916305"]
I too am a valuable poster.... :'(.....

THIS CALLS FOR A:

(playing really loud now is:"Making Love Out of Nothing at All" - Air Supply )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lE6Htee0sA

[size=24pt][color=red][b]THREAD HUG[/b][/color][/size]

PLEASE EVERYONE JOIN IN....

;D
[/quote]

Krap the high skoolers have found the LU board

[quote name="bigred360" post="1056194" timestamp="1315945932"]
I've been trying to find the fan board of the school your son decided to attend. You got a internet address?
[/quote]
haven't tried looking for a fan board or know if one exists...Marshall is a small town... the NAIA.org website is usually pretty up to date.  Missouri Valley College(now #7) played the #3 Team and won this past weekend....they have a REALLY GOOD DEFENSE!...Last year was #1 in total yds, returned 8 starters from that defense this year. 

[quote name="bigred360" post="1056461" timestamp="1315962909"]
They sound pretty good and when he signed I looked up information on them and they were good last year too as you mentioned in your post. Is your son playing? I thought I read something about him red-shirting?
[/quote]
Well..he's 2nd string now...it looks as if they MAY work him in the rotation this weekend...will know more tomorrow....so his red shirt MAY be pulled for that #5...

[quote name="TBonesLU" post="1054949" timestamp="1315791914"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=87738.msg1054768#msg1054768 date=1315768647]
Shad Smith (Arguably LU best QB of all time) would not have led LU to victory yesterday.  LU is 2nd year program.  For dang sake give the team time to gel and they will be fine.  USA is an FBS school with much better talent than LU has.  Bottom line and no doubt about it.  Do I think that Bevil should be the starter???  IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT I THINK!!!!  I trust that the LU Staff will do what is best for LU to win and compete. 

It seems from some posters on here that they want LU to fail......just do not understand that!!!!
[/quote]

Well said...
[/quote]

Well, USA is in its third year so we shouldn't be clearly outmanned?  Just because you are FBS shouldn't affect your talent level, particularly for a new football program...assuming we both get relatively the same amount of scholarships.  Why does what you think not matter?  It should.  I understand that you won't be the one making the decision but, assuming you are a fan and assuming you pay taxes, then what you think should matter.

[quote name="TBonesLU" post="1054961" timestamp="1315793097"]
[quote author=cardinal link=topic=87738.msg1054515#msg1054515 date=1315708446]
[quote author=TBonesLU link=topic=87738.msg1053786#msg1053786 date=1315630155]
[list][quote author=cardinal link=topic=87738.msg1051088#msg1051088 date=1315365552]
[quote author=ShlyKBMT link=topic=87738.msg1050002#msg1050002 date=1315256796]
I wish people from here would understand the difference between D1 and HS athletics. These guys have competed for months. If anyone was at the game (about 3-4,000 actually went) you would know how bad the conditions were to throw in. It became a running game with the far supperior line winning. Prewitt is not getting screwed. This isn't little league, in college everyone doesn't get equal playing time. There aren't many D1 coaches you'll find that will find time to get 3 QB's in a game so if anything Woodard was trying to be fair. Lamar wins 58-0, be happy for the program and stop being negative.
[/quote]

Good lord, people's posts on this website get me so pissed off I want to blow a head gasket.  The ignorance spouted out is almost unbearable.  Puddin is 100% correct.  Sgt Rey is on here spouting off but, judging by his posts he hasn't seen a game yet.  So, I will gladly recap the situation:
[list]
[*]Woodard recruited his boy Bevil
Bevil had an outstanding game against McNeese.
Prewitt was a lowly walk on receiver.
Prewitt apparently worked his tail off and was moved to QB, probably because of injuries to othe QB's.
Prewitt surprisingly moved up the depth charts, why?  Perhaps because he earned it?
Bevil's play got worse and worse during the year.
The worse Bevil played the more hurt he became.
Finally he was too "hurt" to play.
When Prewitt got the opportunity he performed well.  Arguably, much better than Bevil.  Look at their stats, Prewitt completed 62% of his passes compared to Bevil's 54%.  Prewitt made better decisions and had fewer turnovers.  When Bevil was healthy, Woodard moved him to receiver and left Prewitt as the starting qb.[/list]

Ok, are we all caught up now?  Now, in the off season we signed JJ.  There are a couple of JJ lovers (AggiesAreWe...why is someone with a screen name of AggiesAreWe even allowed to comment on this site?) on this site who think that since JJ was highly recruited he should be ordained the QB.  Problem is, a QB is a QB because he can THROW THE FOOTBALL.  If you want someone that can run, stick him at running back.  Also, Prewitt can run and throw.  Now, it appears that he is not the runner JJ is but he is a much better scrambler than your average qb.  So, what has happened?  Prewitt earned the starting position last year, did a great job, and he is rewarded during the off season by becoming the third stringer used in deep scrub time?!!!!  You are dang right, he is being screwed!!!  And, it will lose fans!!!!!!!!!!!  By the way, it is lose not loose. AND IT HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH LAST WEEKS GAME OTHER THAN THE FACT OF HOW PREWITT WAS TOTALLY DOGGED BY WOODARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/list]
[/quote]

So let me get this straight, buddy.  You are saying that if we have a proven QB last year (let's call him David Carr for the Texan fans who can relate) that has proved himself, we simply close our eyes to any other opportunity (let's call him Matt Schaub for the same reason) or player that gets thrown in our lap?  I don't doubt that JJ needs a little work being redshirted last year, but to go by what you are saying, we should ignore we have him.  THAT is how we lose fans; pretending we (the coaches) are blind to the talent we have at our disposal to make the players' parents happy.  This is not minor league hockey, arena football, or anything else that is the flavor of the month in Beaumont.  Let's treat this like it is what it is; college football at the near highest level (D-I).

I'm not a Cowboy fan, but I know some of you are.  Picture this:  Let's say the Cowboys (somehow) are able to trade Romo for Tom Brady or a healthy Peyton Manning.  Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't do it?  Would Romo be "getting screwed around"?  No, he wouldn't.  Because it isn't Pop Warner football anymore where everyone gets to play.

Prewitt is not getting screwed around.  From what I understand, he seems very happy to do what he needs to do to be a team player.  He understands his role as Woodard explains it to him.  I'm glad he is on the team; he is a smart guy who seems to understand the game.  If someone is more talented, I'm sure he's not at home throwing darts at a poster of Woodard's face.  I would think that he knows being a backup is as important as starting.  He found that out last year.

Anyway, keep on b****ing all you want.  The point is, quit being negative.  They won their first game in the manner they were supposed to win.  Wait until the season has gone to the toilet to just start showing your hindside.  There is literally nothing to argue right now.  You have a 1-0 (potentially 2-0 tomorrow) team.  Cheer on the Cards!  We are all fans.  Let's show it.

I saw some good posts by AAW, WOSgrad, and ForeverADog.
[/quote]
Wow..nice, ignorant post.  For starters...Bevil has been named the starter not JJ (everyone's love god).  Remember, that is the same Bevil that Prewitt outplayed.  That is the same Bevil with the incredible amount of turnovers.  That is the same Bevil with a 54% completion rate.  That is the same Bevil that was relegated to backup receiver last year!  What happened in the off season?  Did he suddenly become accurate?  Did he suddenly learn how to read defenses?  What happened to prewitt?  Did he suddenly become inaccurate and unable to read defenses??!!  Secondly, Buddy, if we have a successful QB we suddenly should relegate him to third string?  So, how often do you see a successful starter replaced assuming they didn't graduate?  Please, name ONE DAMN TIME that a QB proved himself, was successful and then was replaced anyway?  In case you haven't noticed...successful QB's NEVER get traded?  I don't see any of the beloved names you are mentioning getting benched.  No, you see, the way it works is you get benched when you DON'T perform. 

And what does Prewitt being a "team" player have to do with it?  And what does him being "smart" have to do with?  Golly, that is special.  You love having him on the team because he is smart?  What kind of ignorant statement is that??  [b]Who cares if he is smart, dumb, a team player or an I player if his butt is on the bench???[/b]  How about starting the "smart", "team" player?  How about starting the guy that will get you W's?

I don't know who is smart, who is dumb, who is a team player and who isn't.  I do know, from the games I watched last year, he gives us a better chance to win than Bevil does.  I have no idea about JJ except a whole lot of hype.  I also know your beloved Woodard has named Bevil the starter not JJ and not Prewitt.  So, tell me Buddy, does that make sense?

Oh, and just for the record...I didn't realize we had Peyton Manning on our team.  But, if we did, I don't want him playing...in case you haven't been paying attention, he's had neck surgery.  when you are ready to make some intellignet comments I am ready to read them....Buddy.
[/quote]

Alright, kid.  Listen up.  I wasn't saying the "injured" Peyton Manning and you know that, so argue as though you have done it before.  The sentence in bold above doesn't even make sense, so chalk that up as a loss.  I'm going to end this conversation quickly as you obviously don't know what you are talking about.  The part about me saying Prewitt is a team player was my way of saying he played his role well last year.  He came in when he had to and did a good job.

I'm glad you feel as though you can resort to swearing like a pissed off teenager.  My point is you aren't a coach.  You aren't at every practice seeing how they are playing.  The point is aside from losing to a clearly outmatched opponent in its second season, this team has done nothing for you to continue to be a "fair weather" fan.  It's the second year!  If they don't win conference, it won't be a surprise!  Support your team.  Be proud we have football back, and quit hoping for Woodard's head on a stick after going 6-6 in his first 12 games here.  I'm not attacking you.  I'm trying to say that it will take some time before this team is able to beat FBS and top tier FCS schools.
[/quote]

Ok, sport.  Of course the sentence in bold makes sense.  You were talking about all of Prewitt's wonderful attributes yet he sits on the pine.  If you still don't understand the point of the statement I am afraid I cannot make it any more simplistic.

If you use ***** instead of the actual letters, like with b****ing all you want, does that mean you are cussing like a mature adult instead of like a pissed off teenager?  Well, I digress.

It is obvious that you don't know what you are talking about.  Did you actually go to any games last year and watch LU play?  Have you seen Bevil's stats so far this year?  Ok, continue to ride that horse if you want but I think his performance speaks for itself.  I am certainly no "fair weather" fan.  Matter of fact, weather was pretty nasty for our opening game when I sat there for 3 1/2 quarters  (cheering for the Cardinals and watching in dismay as Prewitt continued to get ignored).  I was extremely disapppointed when football was discontinued in 1989 despite all the efforts to keep it.  I am a season ticket holder and actually support LU and not ATM or UT or LSU or OU or the other big schools the wannabe's support.

I certainly don't expect us to win conference this year nor do I expect us to beat established FBS teams.  However, I certainly expect us to be competetive with the likes of South Alabama.  I also expect us to play the individuals that give us the best chance to win.  Prewitt could quite possibly play and do horribly.  I do not have crystal ball.  However, he certainly earned the right to be the starter heading into this year.  Bevil's performance certainly hasn't done anything to make me believe he is clearly deserving of starting ahead of Prewitt.  Finally, I don't recall that I ever said anything about wanting Woodard's head because we are 1-1 or because of how we played last year.  Other than SFA, we had nothing to be embarrassed about.  Honestly, I don't really care if we win or lose as long as we put kids out there we can be proud of and as long as the kids that have proven they should be starting do start, at least until they prove otherwise.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1051143" timestamp="1315374680"]
[list][quote author=cardinal link=topic=87738.msg1051088#msg1051088 date=1315365552]
[quote author=ShlyKBMT link=topic=87738.msg1050002#msg1050002 date=1315256796]
I wish people from here would understand the difference between D1 and HS athletics. These guys have competed for months. If anyone was at the game (about 3-4,000 actually went) you would know how bad the conditions were to throw in. It became a running game with the far supperior line winning. Prewitt is not getting screwed. This isn't little league, in college everyone doesn't get equal playing time. There aren't many D1 coaches you'll find that will find time to get 3 QB's in a game so if anything Woodard was trying to be fair. Lamar wins 58-0, be happy for the program and stop being negative.
[/quote]

Good lord, people's posts on this website get me so pissed off I want to blow a head gasket. The ignorance spouted out is almost unbearable.  [b]You shouldn't guys on a message board ever get you so upset. You will lose a lot of sleep over it if you do.[/b]Puddin is 100% correct.  Sgt Rey is on here spouting off but, judging by his posts he hasn't seen a game yet.  So, I will gladly recap the situation:
[list]
[*]Woodard recruited his boy Bevil
Bevil had an outstanding game against McNeese.[b]Bevil started with 3 outstanding games before the SFA game started a bad downward spiral.[/b]
Prewitt was a lowly walk on receiver.
Prewitt apparently worked his tail off and was moved to QB, probably because of injuries to othe QB's.
Prewitt surprisingly moved up the depth charts, why?  Perhaps because he earned it?
Bevil's play got worse and worse during the year.
The worse Bevil played the more hurt he became.[b]Bevil could barely walk before games. But was trying to suck it up to help the team win. Finally, Coach Woodard told him he wasn't good enough to still play with the injury and to rest it. Thats when Prewitt comes in.[/b]
Finally he was too "hurt" to play.
When Prewitt got the opportunity he performed well.  Arguably, much better than Bevil.  Look at their stats, Prewitt completed 62% of his passes compared to Bevil's 54%.  Prewitt made better decisions and had fewer turnovers.  [b]Prewitt was much better actually. Much more efficient. Had 2 great games and then a mediocre game against Panhandle St.[/b]When Bevil was healthy, Woodard moved him to receiver and left Prewitt as the starting qb.[/list]

Ok, are we all caught up now?  Now, in the off season we signed JJ.  There are a couple of JJ lovers (AggiesAreWe...why is someone with a screen name of AggiesAreWe even allowed to comment on this site?[b]Because this is typically a high school site. Which he is an alum of a local highschool. And this is a fan site. I didn't know people are not allowed to be fans of their local uniersity even though they went to a different one?[/b]) on this site who think that since JJ was highly recruited he should be ordained the QB.  Problem is, a QB is a QB because he can THROW THE FOOTBALL[b]Not necessarily. Look at recent national champs, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, and Vince Young. All were far better runners than throwers.[/b].  If you want someone that can run, stick him at running back[b]Or put him at QB with a good running back and make your offense more dynamic.[/b].  Also, Prewitt can run and throw[b]So should we put him at running back?[/b].  Now, it appears that he is not the runner JJ is but he is a much better scrambler than your average qb[b]Prewitt is the worst scrambler of the 3 potential QBs. I am not a JJ fan and haven't been impressed by his accuracy, but his athletic ability definitely stands out. If we work with him on his accuracy then he will be a great one. Right now he just needs to get experience where he can get it like Saturday.[/b].  So, what has happened?  Prewitt earned the starting position last year, did a great job, and he is rewarded during the off season by becoming the third stringer used in deep scrub time?!!!![b]No he earned the job last year. Then in spring and fall practices lost his job to Bevil who outplayed him during that time.[/b]  You are dang right, he is being screwed!!! And, it will lose fans!!!!!!!!!!![b]So by starting who he thinks is the better qb fans wont come? Woodard should be worried about winning. Thats what will bring in fans and that is what he did Saturday.[/b]  By the way, it is lose not loose. AND IT HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH LAST WEEKS GAME OTHER THAN THE FACT OF HOW PREWITT WAS TOTALLY DOGGED BY WOODARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!![b]Holy caps lock, Batman![/b]
[/list]
[/quote]
I like Doug a lot. Nice, funny guy. But in an open QB competition he got beat out, plain and simple. Last year he played great but wasn't as impressive in the spring and fall practice. Bevil got his confidence back and got healthy and won back the job. The competition is still open this week. If he outperforms the others than he will start Saturday. Woodard doesn't hate him or have some vengance against him. Heck, he gave him a scholarship this year. Bevil has just played better. JJ and Prewitt were both listed at 2nd on the depth chart Saturday, they played JJ first to get him experience. Prewitt is tough and will keep fighting and pushing the others for the job. I, in no way, think he has started his last game as a Cardinal. He will work his butt off to stay on the field.
[/quote]

I like how you put those bold little things in response to my posts.  Anyway, most of your comments make sense.  However, I think you are  off on a few things.  If Tebow, Young, and Cam couldn't throw they certainly wouldn't have won national championships and they certainly wouldn't be quarterbacks in the NFL.  I said a quarterback needs to know how to throw.  If he can run too that is a plus but if you can't throw (by can't throw I mean you aren't accurate and/or consistent) then you should NOT be playing quarterback.  If you pick your quarterback by who runs the best you are in for a VERY long year.  As far as losing fans, yes, he will lose fans.  Beating up on the sisters of charity junior varisty B team is no measuring stick.  Getting our tails handed to us by a 3rd year football program is a very good measuring stick.

As far as him losing the starting job.  My opinion has not changed.  He earned it last year.  yes, I think performing well in practice and scrimmages is pivotal.  From what I recall with the scrimmages, Prewitt did perform well during the limited opportunities he was given.  As far as the practices, I did not see them so all I can assume is that Prewitt was downright awful.

Finally, if the Bevil that played last year (with the exception of the first couple of games) and the Bevil that has played this year is our best option at QB then we are in for a long season.  Also, if he is the best option then Prewitt must have undergone some horrible transformation and JJ must not be near the QB he is hyped up to be.

What Ray did at the start of spring practice was say to all the quarterbacks that this is a new year. Last year was last year and its in the past. We are trying to win a conference championship and everyone is healthy now so I'm opening the competition up wide open.

That allowed everyone including not just Doug and Dre, but JJ when he came in, Kevin Smith, Caleb Berry, and Harrison Tatum all come out and fight for a starting qb job. The top 3 obviously separated themselves. My point is that last year was last year. Though Prewitt had better numbers I think last year he had an easier go of it. Bevil played all the best teams where he struggled. Prewitt played slightly lesser competition like startup Georgia State, the worse of the Dakotas, and one of the non D1 schools. I actually thought the last game was his worst. Factor in that with the fact everyone was so tired of Bevil that made Prewitt look even better. Just in the fall and spring Bevil was healthy and played slightly better than Prewitt. Therefore starting first. That is why I feel Woodard made a good call at the time to start Bevil. 

I don't think Bevil is a good college quarterback at all. But I don't think Prewitt is that much better. Prewitt has definitely earneda chance to try to get our passing game going because Bevil has come out to a slow start. Completing 8 passes in 2 games won't cut it in our offense no matter what the weather is. I haven't given up on Bevil just think Prewitt and JJ are close enough to earn pt since we now have game performance to go off and not only practice.

Don't take this as me being a Bevil fan cause I am not. I actually think quarterback isn't a strong position for us. I just don't think Prewitt should be handed the job so easily. I just hope someone will finally step up and command the position and make it clearly theirs. No one has done that to this point and we need it to be successful this year. Give all 3 guys playing time this week to see if someone can command the job. If they can then stick with them. If not we are in for a long conference season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder