Rude Comments made at a game

My son is the Center for WOS-Senior team.  He has been practicing very hard and takes his position very seriously.  He was penalized for a delay of game in Saturday's game because he could not hear his quarterback calling the calls.  He felt horrible for that.  A few plays later, the opposing team piled on him and one of the players kneed him in the back and it knocked the wind out of him and it took him longer then usual to get up off the ground.  He got up and went on with the game.

Now, this is where I need to hold my "mama temper" and be careful what I say.  I overheard a parent in the stands (from WOS) say that he got what he deserved for causing the delay penalty.

My nephew, oldest son, and brother in law also heard it and knew I had heard it too.  They immediately pulled me away before I could say something back.  They calmed me down and I went back to my seat and said nothing.

Family and friends of players: We all get into the games.  If a player makes a mistake on the field, that does not give you the right to wish ill on the child.  No child deserves to be hurt.  It is just WRONG to say something like that.  I have been heard to say "That is what you get" after we make a touchdown against the other team or we make a really good play.  I have said to the players "don't let them get past you".  I have NEVER said a child who was injured deserved it.

Watch yourselves and your comments.  The next time, there may not be anyone there to hold me back.

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1043856" timestamp="1314627749"]
They're are always things said in the stand......"kill em"...", lay him out", "hurt someone"......you just have to ignore them. People are generally good and they don't mean it literally.........

If your looking for drama, you can ALWAYS find it......
[/quote]

AMEN to that...

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1043856" timestamp="1314627749"]
They're are always things said in the stand......"kill em"...", lay him out", "hurt someone"......you just have to ignore them. People are generally good and they don't mean it literally.........

If your looking for drama, you can ALWAYS find it......
[/quote]

I agree.  I always hear fans saying stuff like that.  That is done in the heat of the game.  What has me upset is this MOM said my son deserved to be hurt.  That just was not very nice!

Oh well, I will just have my eye on this person from hereon out.  Sit as far away from her as possible and if her child get hurts, I will do as I always do: worry about the child until he is up and running again.

[quote name="wos_112%" post="1044248" timestamp="1314657945"]
I understand being upset..but if u have a problem with anyone you should bring it to your president. .
[/quote]

Naaa, no need to do that.  I can handle it if need be.  Like I said, I will just ignore her and her rude comments and keep yelling for our team and worrying about any child who gets hurts, mine, yours, hers, the opponent.  Looking forward to our next game.  Hopefully, it won't be 1000 degress outside. ;D

It is most times more difficult to be the better, bigger person. Hang in there! And by the way I saw some of the games Saturday and IMO it is way too hot for these young men to be playing mid-day in 100 plus heat, the games need to be early and late, just my opinion.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1044508" timestamp="1314675618"]
It is most times more difficult to be the better, bigger person. Hang in there! And by the way I saw some of the games Saturday and IMO it is way too hot for these young men to be playing mid-day in 100 plus heat, the games need to be early and late, just my opinion.
[/quote]
Thanks.  My son played at 6 p.m. and it was STILL very [color=red]hot[/color] out.  I do have to say though I did see/hear many water breaks being called so there is no complaint about the way that was handled.  We can't control the heat and I really do think that the coaches did the very best they could have to keep the kids hydrated and safe.  As much as I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE football .. I really was glad when it was time to go home though due to the heat.

I was a flag coach for the Cobras back in 1995-97.  At one local venue, we had one of our kids (now at a division 1 school), outrun a kid from that town in the first half.  At halftime, one little flag player from one of their other teams, told the kid that got beat on the run "hey, you let that little n***** outrun you!" to the amusement of his team-mates and a couple of the adults close by.  My team mom, whose race was the same as the kid on my team, was close by, and overheard the comment.  I apologized to her for the opposing teams disrespect, and turned around to teach that little kid some respect when she stopped me, looked me in the eye, and said "don't get on that child...you know where it comes from...be bigger and don't let it get to you...I don't.  It takes away the power when their words fall on deaf ears."  She was, and still is CLASS!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw