Politics in Football

Guest BOBCAT

Guest BOBCAT
It is definitely present and always has been .

*****I would love to hear some stories or opinions on this matter .

[center]****IF YOU DARE***[/center]

Isn't it always politics if your kid doesn't get the playing time a parent would like?  I like the "all the other players know" he's the best player reasoning.  Assuming you are referring to high school football and not little league football where the head coaches' son almost always gets to play quarterback and rightfully so if his dad gives up his time to coach.  You are setting this up to be a disgruntled parent page.

Guest BOBCAT
[quote name="oldsarge777" post="1034842" timestamp="1313255799"]
Isn't it always politics if your kid doesn't get the playing time a parent would like?  I like the "all the other players know" he's the best player reasoning.  Assuming you are referring to high school football and not little league football where the head coaches' son almost always gets to play quarterback and rightfully so if his dad gives up his time to coach.  You are setting this up to be a disgruntled parent page.
[/quote]

So you're saying " That it doesn't exist" ? OK , I believe you then  ::)

Guest Brubaker
I hope you're not letting your kid think he's controlled by politics, that would be a disservice to him.  A coach, a boss, whoever is in charge, I believe they play the players that give the TEAM the best chance to win.  At times you and I disagree, but just because we disagree with the one in charge, doesn't make it politics.  I mean is another players dad building the coach an add-on to his house for free and his freshman son starting in front of your senior??? That may be politics.  Otherwise, suck it up and prepare your kid for the real world.

[quote name="Brubaker" post="1034874" timestamp="1313258091"]
I hope you're not letting your kid think he's controlled by politics, that would be a disservice to him.  A coach, a boss, whoever is in charge, I believe they play the players that give the TEAM the best chance to win.  At times you and I disagree, but just because we disagree with the one in charge, doesn't make it politics.  I mean is another players dad building the coach an add-on to his house for free and his freshman son starting in front of your senior??? That may be politics.  Otherwise, suck it up and prepare your kid for the real world.
[/quote]

^^^^^^^^Gotta agree with this. x2^^^^^^^^

Guest BOBCAT
[quote name="Brubaker" post="1034874" timestamp="1313258091"]
I hope you're not letting your kid think he's controlled by politics, that would be a disservice to him.  A coach, a boss, whoever is in charge, [color=red]I believe[/color] they play the players that give the TEAM the best chance to win.  At times you and I disagree, but just because we disagree with the one in charge, doesn't make it politics.  I mean is another players dad building the coach an add-on to his house for free and his freshman son starting in front of your senior??? That may be politics.  Otherwise, suck it up and prepare your kid for the real world.
[/quote]

[quote name="oldsarge777" post="1034842" timestamp="1313255799"]
Isn't it always politics if your kid doesn't get the playing time a parent would like?  I like the "all the other players know" he's the best player reasoning. [b] Assuming you are referring to high school football and not little league football where the head coaches' son almost always gets to play quarterback and rightfully so if his dad gives up his time to coach.[/b]  You are setting this up to be a disgruntled parent page.
[/quote]

Are you kidding me with this comment? Even if the coaches son is sorry and there is a player better than him he deserves to be the QB because his dad gave up his time? You just proved his point. That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Daddy didn't have to give up his time, maybe he should have used that time to practice with his son one on one so he could ligitimately get that spot. Yes, there is a lot of politics in sports and no I don't have a kid that plays, but I've seen it.

Guest octfeb
[quote name="mustangproud" post="1035254" timestamp="1313322935"]
[quote author=oldsarge777 link=topic=86652.msg1034842#msg1034842 date=1313255799]
Isn't it always politics if your kid doesn't get the playing time a parent would like?  I like the "all the other players know" he's the best player reasoning. [b] Assuming you are referring to high school football and [b]not little league football where the head coaches' son almost always gets to play quarterback and rightfully so if his dad gives up his time to coach.[/b][/b]  You are setting this up to be a disgruntled parent page.
[/quote]

Are you kidding me with this comment? Even if the coaches son is sorry and there is a player better than him he deserves to be the QB because his dad gave up his time? You just proved his point. That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Daddy didn't have to give up his time, maybe he should have used that time to practice with his son one on one so he could ligitimately get that spot. Yes, there is a lot of politics in sports and no I don't have a kid that plays, but I've seen it.
[/quote] Ok I wasn't even gonna post on this thread..UNTIL I seen the part bout the dad being the coach, so Jr. has earned that right to be QB ONLY because dad is the coach. I have personally been witness to a coach who's daughter was ALWAYS clean up batter on the softball team. Until the new fields were finished and the news papers were there for the big event. So Dad purposely put his daughter up to bat FIRST so she could be the FIRST person to bat on the new field.  That's politics. I coached my daughters softball team. And not once did I favor my daughter over any other kid.. The kids were placed where they fit best. And my daughter sat out in a rotation just like everyone else on the team. Did they have to be sat out in a rotation? NO! But that was my rules as a coach. So EVERYONE got equal playing time.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1035262" timestamp="1313325598"]
One of Grad's Life Formula's"

The amount of belief a person has that politics is involved in selection of who plays and doesn't play in high school sports is directly proportional to the time their little Johnny or Jane sits on the bench.
[/quote]

I don't have no little johnny or jane sitting the bench, so your definately wrong about me. I'm looking at this totally unbiased, but I know what I see and any honest person would admit it too. The ones who's in denial about it are probably the coaches that do it or friends of coaches who promote their kids when they don't deserve it.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1035265" timestamp="1313326267"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=86652.msg1035262#msg1035262 date=1313325598]
One of Grad's Life Formula's"

The amount of belief a person has that politics is involved in selection of who plays and doesn't play in high school sports is directly proportional to the time their little Johnny or Jane sits on the bench.
[/quote]

I don't have no little johnny or jane sitting the bench, so your definately wrong about me. I'm looking at this totally unbiased, but I know what I see and any honest person would admit it too. The ones who's in denial about it are probably the coaches that do it or friends of coaches who promote their kids when they don't deserve it.
[/quote]

Those who have absolutely no stake usually do not comment on this question.  And those who do comment on their doubts about the existence of it are usually branded as a co-conspirator.

Is there politics in high school sports? Yes, I believe there is but very little. Coaches play the best players that give a "TEAM" the best chance to win. I don't see politics as a big issue. The big issue is parents who think their kid is better than they actually are. Lots of rose colored glasses out there.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1035268" timestamp="1313328501"]
Is there politics in high school sports? Yes, I believe there is but very little. Coaches play the best players that give a "TEAM" the best chance to win. I don't see politics as a big issue. The big issue is parents who think their kid is better than they actually are. Lots of rose colored glasses out there.
[/quote]

I agree to a point....Influence Peddling is more likely in Sports... ;)

[/quote]

Bingo!

there always have been and always will be politics in sports although its minimal, you just hope its not your kids position. but hey like i say ive always seen it and you just hope its not your kids position.ive also seen when a parent and a coach have a  disagreement, or have words, that the kid never gets an opprtunity reguardless if he is the best athelete at his position to play that position his entire highschool career. so be very careful its the kids that suffer. but will always disagree with this instance .if your kid is good and he enjoys the game enough he can still play college ball no matter the outcome of what parents or coaches think ive seen that happen as well.if  parents just let it play out and not get to caught up in it chances are it will all work out in the end.

Guest blackflag
Is there politics in high school sports? Yes, I believe there is but very little. [color=red]Coaches play the best players that give a "TEAM" the best chance to win. I don't see politics as a big issue.[/color] The big issue is parents who think their kid is better than they actually are. Lots of rose colored glasses out there.
[/quote]

Not true in Vidor . It is strictly the buddy system over here , it always has been !

[/quote]Bingo!

The problem is that too many parents coach youth sports so that jr can get the glory.  Politics are definately present.  As for school sports...coaches are trying to win.  Period.  Job is probably on the line.

And for the comment about freshman playing before senior...if they are close to same skill level then the freshman plays every time.  Freshman will improve for sophomore season.  Who cares if senior improves for next yr.  That's not politics, just smart coaching.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="knows2much" post="1035439" timestamp="1313354012"]
And for the comment about freshman playing before senior...if they are close to same skill level then the freshman plays every time.  Freshman will improve for sophomore season.  [u]Who cares if senior improves for next yr.[/u]  That's not politics, just smart coaching.
[/quote]

Thats not the point! [i]This[/i] is the season. If a Sr. and a Fresh had [i]exactly[/i] the same skills, attitude, etc., I would start the Senior every dang time. The Freshman has years to go, and the Senior has only the season left, and the peformance would be the same. It is a DISSERVICE to the Senior who put so much time and effort in to sit the bench behind a Freshman. The kids DO matter. Politics hurt kids. Think this out!    

(Disclaimer: I don't have a Sr., and this is just general commentary [u]not[/u] aimed at any particular school, etc).

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1035534" timestamp="1313368298"]
[quote author=knows2much link=topic=86652.msg1035439#msg1035439 date=1313354012]
And for the comment about freshman playing before senior...if they are close to same skill level then the freshman plays every time.  Freshman will improve for sophomore season.  [u]Who cares if senior improves for next yr.[/u]  That's not politics, just smart coaching.
[/quote]

Thats not the point! [i]This[/i] is the season. If a Sr. and a Fresh had [i]exactly[/i] the same skills, attitude, etc., I would start the Senior every dang time. The Freshman has years to go, and the Senior has only the season left, and the peformance would be the same. It is a DISSERVICE to the Senior who put so much time and effort in to sit the bench behind a Freshman. The kids DO matter. Politics hurt kids. Think this out!    

(Disclaimer: I don't have a Sr., and this is just general commentary [u]not[/u] aimed at any particular school, etc).
[/quote]Believe you got it right!

Silly, seriously, think that over a moment and then post again.  Your seriously think a head coach is gonna lose every game 3 straight years and keep his job?  Did you just move here or did you just start following varsity hs football?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami