Orangefield vs. Vidor Scrimmage Thread/Post comments here!

Both teams played hard, I know the coaches saw some things that needs improvement, but that's what scrimmages are for right. The Pirate defense played well, they were getting to the ball quick.The backs had some impressive runs,they even had a couple of good pass completions for good yardage and that's a good sign of thing to come.

All in all the good far outweighed the bad for the Pirates in this scrimmage and I expect them to get better each game this yr. The returning starters went through the bumps and bruises of a disappointing 2-8 season last yr. so they are definitely looking forward to making some noise in 20-4A this yr. Go Pirates

I would say the Pirates could be in big trouble this year.  When your backup quarterback is an all district middle linebacker, you are in trouble. No way should that team have that player at quarterback.  All that will do is assure that he gets hurt.  His legs just cant take that sort of pounding.  I honestly thought that the Pirates didnt look very sharp at all and OF is a small school.  Lord, I hope they get a lot better before the start of the season.  WOS is next on the list and lets see if they make some improvements before they tee it up against some speed and size.

[quote name="raidernaytion" post="1034812" timestamp="1313253842"]
Sounds like Vidors in trouble this year
[/quote]

I think it's a little early to tell from 1 scrimmage whether they are in "trouble" are not. Like I said the Pirates were productive on offense and the defense was stout. When the 1st team offense was in they moved the chains effectively, is there room for improvement, absolutely......but I saw more positive than negative from the Pirates.

Maybe others that were actually "at" the scrimmage can post their observations on both teams performances.    

[quote name="VPirate" post="1034910" timestamp="1313260797"]
[quote author=raidernaytion link=topic=86614.msg1034812#msg1034812 date=1313253842]
[/quote]

I think it's a little early to tell from 1 scrimmage whether they are in "trouble" are not. Like I said the Pirates were productive on offense and the defense was stout. When the 1st team offense was in they moved the chains effectively, is there room for improvement, absolutely......but I saw more positive than negative from the Pirates.

Maybe others that were actually "at" the scrimmage can post their observations on both teams performances.    
[/quote]I was there. i thought the Defense looked better than the Offence. They were swarming to the ball very aggressively. I was also impressed with Montana at QB. Good arm and great runner! The only thing I would have liked to see is some pass defense. OF passes less than us......... ::)

[quote name="raidernaytion" post="1034812" timestamp="1313253842"]
[/quote]
Yeah, because Lumberton is going to be a powerhouse again. ::)I would be surprised if Lumberton wins two games in district. People need to realize that teams don't gameplan for scrimmages and the most to be taken from them is getting your kids the chance to get some action against another team. Now, I am not saying Vidor is going to be great this year, I know nothing about them, but I don't think you can make a judgement after one scrimmage.

Just an add-on to my previous post.  I was at the game and while I think my comments were valid, I realize they are just my comments. They should carry no weight whatsoever.  I truly support the Pirates, always have, always will. Our kids did outplay OF, but that was expected, I think. Vidor is just a lot bigger than OF.  Maybe I am very wrong about my opinions and if I am, I will surely admit it. Regardless of the won-loss record, I will be there supporting them.  I talk to some of the kids and I am always very supportive.  If any player reads this or any other post, remember, these are just opinions and should NEVER change your opinion or work ethic.  Always strive to be the very best you can be and expect that from all around you.  I am a fan of Pirate football.  But, surely, I am no expert, just a fan.  Now, go out and prove me wrong about my previous posts.  Nothing would make me happier.

[quote name="texas2step4u" post="1034909" timestamp="1313260703"]
I would say the Pirates could be in big trouble this year.  When your backup quarterback is an all district middle linebacker, you are in trouble. No way should that team have that player at quarterback.  All that will do is assure that he gets hurt.  His legs just cant take that sort of pounding.  I honestly thought that the Pirates didnt look very sharp at all and OF is a small school.  Lord, I hope they get a lot better before the start of the season.  WOS is next on the list and lets see if they make some improvements before they tee it up against some speed and size.
[/quote]

Ok.. That is easy to say when you havent seen this kid play... He will be going both ways and no way will he get hurt... he is an athlete always looking for a good hit... Besides we all know that he will not have to throw much playing for Vidor. It wont be a problem... This is his third year on varsity he will do well...

[quote name="cougars" post="1035176" timestamp="1313289244"]
[quote author=texas2step4u link=topic=86614.msg1034909#msg1034909 date=1313260703]
[/quote]

Ok.. That is easy to say when you havent seen this kid play... He will be going both ways and no way will he get hurt... he is an athlete always looking for a good hit... Besides we all know that he will not have to throw much playing for Vidor. It wont be a problem... This is his third year on varsity he will do well...
[/quote] :o

Overall I think it was about what you would expect for a 1st scrimmage.  Both teams defenses look good at times.  I really liked what I saw from Orangefield's #67 Jake Best, he was in the Vidor backfield a few times before the QB could even hand the ball off.  He's going to be fun to watch this year!  Orangefield's offense has some work to do which we knew it would since they lost some quality guys from last year.  I'm not too concerned yet, last year in this scrimmage I don't think Orangefield got a first down but came on as the season progressed.  From what I saw, I don't think their were any injuries to either team.  Best of luck to the Pirates this season.

After taking a couple of days to digest what happened in the scrimmage and take my "LOVE" hat off,  I agree the first team offense moved the ball well for the first scrimmage.  First team defense looked pretty good also.  Like every team in the area the coaches were trying to evaluate how far along the team is and how much needs to be worked on before week 0.  Lineman relief is going to be critical this year.  The big boys were dragging half way through the scrimmage.  Depth is the problem.  But for all the moving parts that took place after the first few plays the team didn't do bad.  I don't see the coaches doing near the moving of players against WOS in the next scrimmage so they can tell what we will have come week 0.  We have work to do , but so does everyone else.

PS   I will leave the "what kid should be playing were thing" to the coaches.  Were It Belongs.   ;)

Guest blackflag
[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="1035831" timestamp="1313438824"]
[quote author=blackflag link=topic=86614.msg1035830#msg1035830 date=1313438676]
It is my opinion that the Vidor vs Orangefield matchup is a waste of a scrimmage .

Its just another practice for both of them
[/quote]

Thats about all any of the first scrimmages are.
[/quote]

Do i really have to explain this one ? I mean , come on dude .

1. OK , here we go ! Vidor runs the exact offense (SLOT-T) as O-Field.
2. Both teams see it every day (EVERYDAY)in their own practices and they both know how to defend it.
3. O-Field does not play another Slot-T offense in the regular season( that I am aware of )
4. I think both teams defenses would benefit more from scrimmaging teams that have offensive game
   plans like their future opponents ( excluding Livingston )
5  ................................................

[quote name="blackflag" post="1036003" timestamp="1313494161"]
[quote author=TITAN POWER link=topic=86614.msg1035831#msg1035831 date=1313438824]
It is my opinion that the Vidor vs Orangefield matchup is a waste of a scrimmage .

[/quote]

[/quote]

2. Both teams see it every day (EVERYDAY)in their own practices and they both know how to defend it.
3. O-Field does not play another Slot-T offense in the regular season( that I am aware of )
4. I think both teams defenses would benefit more from scrimmaging teams that have offensive game
5  ................................................

[/quote]

Wow,  OK Dude,  Let me  type  a little slower for you  since you get your panties in a bunch when folks state their opinion.
1. Ok here we go.  So,  Its about hitting someone in a different color jersey and offenses change from   year to year.
2. Let me get 2 and 3 at the same time.  We DO play another team that happens to be picked to win district this year (for all thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s worth) that runs the same offense.  So it is good for our first team defense to see the Slot-t being run from  Orangefields first offense and not our JV.
3. We will be playing an offense this week that  is like what we will be seeing during the season.  By the way WOS changed their offense this year from the spread to the I.
4. We only have 2 scrimmages, so anytime you can get the work in its beneficial to see what you need to work on and with at least three different offensive schemes we will be seeing this year I guess we will end up a couple of  scrimmages short to be ready for whatever we see this season.
5. Ă¢â‚¬Â¦Ă¢â‚¬Â¦Ă¢â‚¬Â¦.COME ON ManĂ¢â‚¬Â¦Ă¢â‚¬Â¦Ă¢â‚¬Â¦..
6.  ::)

Guest blackflag
[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="1036013" timestamp="1313497076"]
[quote author=blackflag link=topic=86614.msg1036003#msg1036003 date=1313494161]
[quote author=TITAN POWER link=topic=86614.msg1035831#msg1035831 date=1313438824]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow,  OK Dude,  Let me  type  a little slower for you  since you get your panties in a bunch when folks state their opinion.
1. Ok here we go.  So,  Its about hitting someone in a different color jersey and offenses change from   year to year.
2. Let me get 2 and 3 at the same time.  We DO play another team that happens to be picked to win district this year (for all thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s worth) that runs the same offense.  So it is good for our first team defense to see the Slot-t being run from  Orangefields first offense and not our JV.
3. We will be playing an offense this week that  is like what we will be seeing during the season.  By the way WOS changed their offense this year from the spread to the I.
4. We only have 2 scrimmages, so anytime you can get the work in its beneficial to see what you need to work on and with at least three different offensive schemes we will be seeing this year I guess we will end up a couple of  scrimmages short to be ready for whatever we see this season.
[/quote]

Guest blackflag
[quote name="blackflag" post="1036215" timestamp="1313529714"]
[quote author=TITAN POWER link=topic=86614.msg1036013#msg1036013 date=1313497076]
[quote author=blackflag link=topic=86614.msg1036003#msg1036003 date=1313494161]
[color=red]It is my opinion[/color] that the Vidor vs Orangefield matchup is a waste of a scrimmage .

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

4. We only have 2 scrimmages, so anytime you can get the work in its beneficial to see what you need to work on and with at least three different offensive schemes we will be seeing this year I guess we will end up a couple of  scrimmages short to be ready for whatever we see this season.
[/quote]

[/quote]

:D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder