Tribute to Chuck McLain

Fracc

I wanted to open a thread for friends to post their thoughts and memories about Chuck McLain, who passed away last night.  Chuck was first a husband and father.  He was also a friend to many because it was impossible not to like him.  He also devoted much of his free time to coaching fastpitch softball which also speaks volumes about his character by volunteering his time for others.  A coach who coaches for a long time has not only a love for the game, but also loves his players.

Chuck was a long time coach with the Orange Crush organization.  I will best remember him for the jaw-dropped hands-spread wide expression of disbelief when something went wrong that was so comical that it often lost its intended effect.  I will also remember the hours I saw him setting up equipment, soft-tossing batting practice or performing other responsibilities that come with being a coach.  Chuck also knew how to laugh at himself and could turn anything that happened to him into an entertaining story.  He will be missed.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.  

Godspeed Chuck.

Chuck was one of the nicest guys that anyone could have ever met ! Never heard a negative word out of his mouth. He coached for CRUSH for several years, starting out with John Collinis in 12U, I believe, and then coaching his own CRUSH team in 14U before combining again with John Collins. He then moved up to 18U working with James Birdwell.

Chuck was one of a kind. I don't believe I've ever heard a bad word about Chuck. And he loved the kids he coached as much as anyone. He was always there to lend a helping hand when needed and was never to busy to work with a kid. Chuck will be truly missed by all in the Crush Organization and around LCM !

My thoughts and prayers go out to Chelsea, Jessica and their Mom as they deal with this terrible tragidy.

Chuck McClain was one of the nicest people anyone could have had the privilage to know.  I'm glad I had that opportunity.
  My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to the McClain family.  I've spent most of the day thinking about Chuck.  As I've thought about Chuck, I find myself coming back to three descriptive words:  Character,  individuality,  and personality.  Together these three things give you the sum of the characteristics possessed by a person.
[b]CHARACTER [/b] refers to moral qualities, ethical standards, and principles.  Chuck was a man of sterling character.  Chuck's character and "like-ability" drew others to him and nobody ever had to question where Chuck stood.
[b]INDIVIDUALITY[/b] refers to the distinctive qualities that make one recognizable as a person differentiated from others. Chuck was truly an individual.  He always got along with everyone, but was not afraid to speak up if he had an opinion that wasn't mainstream.  A great quality that he handled with tact if he didn't agree.  Chuck always supported his thoughts with fact and reasoning rather than argument.
[b] PERSONALITY [/b] refers particularly to the combination of outer and inner characteristics that determine the impression that a person makes upon others.  Chuck's personality was one that everybody always enjoyed being around.  Chuck personality was open, honest, and truthful.  Chuck's personality was one that always treated everyone else with respect.
Most of my opportunities to get to know Chuck were through the Orange CRUSH organization.  He will be missed by the CRUSH family as well a big part of the community.
I'm glad I had the chance to know Chuck McClain. 

I've spent the entire day thinking about Chuck.  I'm no closer now to being able to explaining my feelings than I was at 6:00 this morning when I learned of the news.

I've had the good fortune of spending the last 12 months with Chuck and Chelsea doing something we all loved - softball.  I am a better person for having shared that time with them.  You will never find a better dad, coach, or person to share time with your kids than Chuck. And you will never find a sweeter, kinder kid than Chelsea, and I think that's what weighs the most on my heart.  We have lost a friend, a coach, a mentor - She has lost so much more than that...

My heart is heavy.

Chuck - You are already missed, and only time will help to slowly fill that void.

God bless the McLain family. My prayers are with you.

In times like this it really makes you wonder why. But somebody needed him more than we did and he is now in the best place we all hopeto get to. Chuck was a GREAT father , husband and one of my very good friends. Coaching both with and against him was a pleasure. He will be missed.

I spent many hours in the trenches of girls softball with chuck McClain. I can tell you this much, he was a good man. He was a guy you could count on. He was dedicated to his family and the kids he coached. He was smart, funny, hard working, dedicated and I don't know anyone who did not like him. It's often said that the proof is in the pudding, his kids are prime examples of that. This is a good family and Me and my family are just tore up about this. I don't know what else to say but My heart is broken right now. Steph, chelsea and Jessica, y'all are in my family's prayers. God bless.

John Worthy

I met Chuck a year ago when Chelsea joined Birdwell's team. I really enjoyed getting to know Chuck as a person, coach and a family man. Chuck brought a postive attitude to the game, I enjoyed being around him.
Our prayer are with Stephanie, Chelsea, Jessica and the rest of their family.
God Bless, Mark Thorn & Family

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder