Nederland AD hires new basketball assistant coach

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sic em Micah! Sic em! Ha ;D

Honestly, though as I stated earlier in this thread, I think Neumann does a great job at Nederland and we are lucky to have him. In his nearly 20 years at NHS he has earned my trust that his decision was what he thought was best for Nederland student athletes. Just my opinion.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1033680" timestamp="1313072472"]
Sic em Micah! Sic em! Ha ;D

Honestly, though as I stated earlier in this thread, I think Neumann does a great job at Nederland and we are lucky to have him. In his nearly 20 years at NHS he has earned my trust that his decision was what he thought was best for Nederland student athletes. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

I'm just waiting on a few to produce logical OPINIONS (like honest abe likes to type it) to my points. It seems I present multiple points but they would rather address my setx freshman status and give me message board pointers or comment on someone saving money through redbox. I bold things. I bullet things. I reply to posts. I break down posts. I explained that its more than just moving a coach over to fill a slot. They claim to want to best for [u]all[/u] kids to succeed (contradicting themselves in the process) so I address that. But none of this matters anymore because the irrational thinking and bash session isn't fun anymore to them.

[quote name="tvc184" post="1033634" timestamp="1313040138"]
But basketball is supposed to be #1 in Nederland and Neumann is sabotaging us!!

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/Funny/crying-kids04-2ke3gwz.jpg[/img]

I watched my first Nederland Bulldog basketball game about 40 years ago and I find this thread is better than renting a comedy at Redbox.  :D
[/quote]
What do u consider number one in Ned? I think most schools consider number one to be the district champs. Do you and Nederland football consider it to be something different?

[quote name="team first" post="1033710" timestamp="1313076449"]
What do u consider number one in Ned? I think most schools consider number one to be the district champs. Do you and Nederland football consider it to be something different?
[/quote]

I consider education to be the most important and I think I've made that clear through my posts. Walker was hired to first fill a science teaching position along with 3 other coaching assistant spots. Like I said, if we want to fund the schools more to provide specialized teachers in all subjects and assistant and coaching positions I'm ALL FOR IT. Many of you are not taking into consideration other factors that come into play when filling teaching and coaching positions and how it all has to fit together.

[quote author=dogs14 link=topic=86369.msg1033721#msg1033721 date=1313077050]
All this is spoken like true football players.
[/quote]

Please, enlighten me on how I've advocated for football in anyway. If anything I've advocated for what's best for everyone and clearly stated multiple times that I thought Coach English is an excellent coach and leader. Which is why I said he will have no problem in molding Walker into the basketball assistant he needs to be successful.  

Honest Abe, you sure do bring a lot to this conversation. You state a bunch of nonsense in the beginning and follow it up with redbox comments and smiley faces.

While I am unqualified to speak on this particular instance, reality is reality.  If we are honest, we will acknowledge that, in the state of Texas, football is still king ( I have no interest in football and am a passionate basketball fan).  The great majority of Athletic Directors are head football coaches and it is human nature to be less concerned with other sports than the one in which you are involved.  I am familiar with a number of situations where the AD, who may be a very fine person, does not give the attention that he should give when making decisions about sports other than football.  I will bet that if there were some way to do a detailed analysis, the most "qualified" coaching staff at nearly every school will be the football staff ( in terms of experience and interest in the sport they are coaching) and coaching assignments in other sports are, in most instances, a decision with little if any forethought or, perhaps, with forethought regarding how that particular decision could benefit the football program.  If anyone tells me that Universal Off Season is not MORE beneficial to the football program, I would appreciate a good explanation of that one and NOT the bigger, stronger, faster comment as I am sure that the head basketball coach is better qualified to determine the conditioning needs of his players than the head football coach.

Watch out Nash, we have a feisty one here!  ;) Don't say I didn't warn u...

[quote name="stevenash" post="1033775" timestamp="1313081441"]
While I am unqualified to speak on this particular instance, reality is reality.  If we are honest, we will acknowledge that, in the state of Texas, football is still king ( I have no interest in football and am a passionate basketball fan).  The great majority of Athletic Directors are head football coaches and it is human nature to be less concerned with other sports than the one in which you are involved.  I am familiar with a number of situations where the AD, who may be a very fine person, does not give the attention that he should give when making decisions about sports other than football.  I will bet that if there were some way to do a detailed analysis, the most "qualified" coaching staff at nearly every school will be the football staff ( in terms of experience and interest in the sport they are coaching) and coaching assignments in other sports are, in most instances, a decision with little if any forethought or, perhaps, with forethought regarding how that particular decision could benefit the football program.  If anyone tells me that Universal Off Season is not MORE beneficial to the football program, I would appreciate a good explanation of that one and NOT the bigger, stronger, faster comment as I am sure that the head basketball coach is better qualified to determine the conditioning needs of his players than the head football coach.
[/quote]

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033767" timestamp="1313080616"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=86369.msg1033710#msg1033710 date=1313076449]
[/quote]

I consider education to be the most important and I think I've made that clear through my posts. Walker was hired to first fill a science teaching position along with 3 other coaching assistant spots. Like I said, if we want to fund the schools more to provide specialized teachers in all subjects and assistant and coaching positions I'm ALL FOR IT. Many of you are not taking into consideration other factors that come into play when filling teaching and coaching positions and how it all has to fit together.

So if u consider education first, do u think oc and dc should teach a class besides athletics?
[quote author=dogs14 link=topic=86369.msg1033721#msg1033721 date=1313077050]
All this is spoken like true football players.
[/quote]

Please, enlighten me on how I've advocated for football in anyway. If anything I've advocated for what's best for everyone and clearly stated multiple times that I thought Coach English is an excellent coach and leader. Which is why I said he will have no problem in molding Walker into the basketball assistant he needs to be successful. 

Honest Abe, you sure do bring a lot to this conversation. You state a bunch of nonsense in the beginning and follow it up with redbox comments and smiley faces.
[/quote]

Oh and mmosley do u think that a coach being a freshman football coach is the same thing as being an  varsity asst., for a different sport?
My other question may have got left off, but since you consider education first then I assume you would think that an oc and dc should teach a class besides athletics only?

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033793" timestamp="1313083540"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=86369.msg1033787#msg1033787 date=1313082765]
Not a problem for a cold, heartless republican.
[/quote]

I hear ya. I've seen u in some pretty heated battles, esp in 'The Locker Room' with Westend and Wos08 and Dove.
[/quote]

Controversy is what keeps things interesting. 

[quote name="stevenash" post="1033798" timestamp="1313084456"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033793#msg1033793 date=1313083540]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=86369.msg1033787#msg1033787 date=1313082765]
Not a problem for a cold, heartless republican.
[/quote]

I hear ya. I've seen u in some pretty heated battles, esp in 'The Locker Room' with Westend and Wos08 and Dove.
[/quote]

Controversy is what keeps things interesting. 
[/quote]

I agree, but not everyone shares that mindset.

Not everyone agrees with most anything- hence all the exchanges of thoughts/ideas on this board.  I would consider it good that the tea party did not agree with our current administration on how to deal with the debt ceiling.  The worst thing they could have done would have been to  have submitted for the sake of not having controversy.  Wouldn't you agree?

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033676" timestamp="1313072069"]
Glad we saved you a few bucks!  ;)

I watched my first Nederland Bulldog basketball game about 40 years ago and I find this thread is better than renting a comedy at Redbox.  :D
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey I love a good Redbox comedy too!

[quote name="stevenash" post="1033805" timestamp="1313085348"]
Not everyone agrees with most anything- hence all the exchanges of thoughts/ideas on this board.  I would consider it good that the tea party did not agree with our current administration on how to deal with the debt ceiling.  The worst thing they could have done would have been to  have submitted for the sake of not having controversy.  Wouldn't you agree?
[/quote]

I thought they made a political forum so you could keep harping and repeating yourself. Its in the lockerrom section

While I am unqualified to speak on this particular instance, reality is reality.  If we are honest, we will acknowledge that, in the state of Texas, football is still king ( I have no interest in football and am a passionate basketball fan).  The great majority of Athletic Directors are head football coaches and it is human nature to be less concerned with other sports than the one in which you are involved.  I am familiar with a number of situations where the AD, who may be a very fine person, does not give the attention that he should give when making decisions about sports other than football.  I will bet that if there were some way to do a detailed analysis, the most "qualified" coaching staff at nearly every school will be the football staff ( in terms of experience and interest in the sport they are coaching) and coaching assignments in other sports are, in most instances, a decision with little if any forethought or, perhaps, with forethought regarding how that particular decision could benefit the football program.  If anyone tells me that Universal Off Season is not MORE beneficial to the football program, I would appreciate a good explanation of that
one and NOT the bigger, stronger, faster comment as I am sure that the head basketball coach is better
qualified to determine the conditioning needs of his players than the head football coach.

Great post....and from someone who has nothing to do with Nederland. It simply is what it is and Nash puts
in very clear!

[/quote]

[quote name="stevenash" post="1033805" timestamp="1313085348"]
[/quote]

Absolutely!

[/quote]

If we go back a bit and ask the School Board members you'll find that Coach Neumann and Coach English approached the board to get split block scheduling for boys and girls basketball so that they could meet everyday.

[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033785#msg1033785 date=1313082464]
Watch out Nash, we have a feisty one here!  ;) Don't say I didn't warn u...
[/quote]

Feel free to contribute to this conversation at any point. I've addressed multiple posts you have made.

[quote author=team first link=topic=86369.msg1033792#msg1033792 date=1313083481]
So if u consider education first, do u think oc and dc should teach a class besides athletics?
[/quote]
[quote author=team first link=topic=86369.msg1033795#msg1033795 date=1313083841]
Oh and mmosley do u think that a coach being a freshman football coach is the same thing as being an asst., for a varsity sport?
My other question may have got left off, but since you consider education first then I assume you would think that an oc and dc should teach a class besides athletics only?
[/quote]

If I considered education first I would provide the funding that allowed coaches to coach and teachers to teach. Using an OC, DC, or HC would most likely not be who I employ to handle the rigorous responsibilities of being both a coach and a successful teacher. You bring up a good point though that I have already addressed. When piecing the puzzle together of open teaching and coaching positions there are multiple obstacles that are encountered. Like - What teaching positions are currently open and need to be filled? What are they certified to teach in? What are their coaching credentials? If we move him/her there what happens to the other position? What happens to the girls bball team if we move Coach Smith to boy's assistant bball coach? What about scheduling? Is the district adding teachers, cutting teachers, staying the same for # of teachers? etc. "Do I think that a coach being a freshman football coach is the same as being an asst. for a varsity sport?" No, like I've said repeatedly throughout this thread that no one seems to read, ideally we would have specialized coaches for each position and sport that they require along with specialized teachers in their own respective subjects. That's just not the case. Our funding requires us to fill teacher/coach combos that can handle multiple responsibilities that best fit the entire district's needs. I pointed out earlier that the Head baseball coach was a pitcher in college (can still throw a nasty slider lol) at ULL but coaches our running backs on the varsity football level along with duties at COW and I believe either on the JV or freshman team also. Do you think Troy Benjamin, a running back, will suffer this year because he is coached primarily through an ex-pitcher? Absolutely not. Coach Robbins is an excellent [u]coach[/u] and luckily Nederland is loaded with exceptional coaches in our sports programs. The same goes for Coach English. Coach English is excellent coach and will mold Coach Walker to be successful just like any other assistant coach would be molded by the HC.
For your second question, to my knowledge the OC and DC fulfill the PE roles for all non athletes at NHS and study hall roles that I believe 9th graders enroll in. I've stated numerous times already that I think Coach Smith would be an excellent right hand man to Coach English, but to suggest some of the things in this thread that some of you have said is entirely false. Once again, if Coach Neumann could hire based upon only coaching credentials then why wouldn't he? He can't because several other factors are played into the bigger equation. In this case a science position and 3 other assistant positions.

Enlighten me, cause truly I do not understand. A previous poster said Neumann had to hire this coach while fitting it all together like a puzzle. Why should Neumann have to worry whether this assistant coach teaches math, science, or any other subject. Did neuman hire this guy as a science teacher?....or was he told by administration that he could hire anyone he wanted BUT they also had to be a science teacher?

[quote name="Basketball 2016" post="1033812" timestamp="1313086417"]
Enlighten me, cause truly I do not understand. A previous poster said Neumann had to hire this coach while fitting it all together like a puzzle. Why should Neumann have to worry whether this assistant coach teaches math, science, or any other subject. Did neuman hire this guy as a science teacher?....[b]or was he told by administration that he could hire anyone he wanted BUT they also had to be a science teacher?[/b]
[/quote]

I believe that to be the case.