How Many Teams Do You Feel Should Make Playoffs?

KFDM COOP

How May Teams Should Go To The Playoffs?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How May Teams Should Go To The Playoffs?

• Every Team In District

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all crazy. I think 3 is good number and then a part of me says maybe 4. I think Texas ends up with a 6A before long. Just too many HS opening up. It's really getting tough to go far in the playoffs for anybody. Look at your big growth area's such as The Woodlands, where they opened a new school and Humble where a new school opened. I think if you don't refigure enrollment they will eventually go to 4 teams atleast for 5A and 4A. 5A is already doing it this year.

Leave it at 3. Like a poster said earlier, there are upsets. That's what makes the playoffs so great. No matter what ranking you are, how good you think you are, you still have to play. throw the records out. What I realy think they should do is do away with the DI and DII state champs. There should be one state champion for each class. 4 is to many. You'll start having teams that's just content with half playing just to get to the playoffs, like beating the heck out of the cellar dwellers. IMO.

:?:

How about 1/2 of the number of teams in the District?

- 4 for an 8-team District

- 3 for a 7- or 6-team District

- 2 for the West Texas 4-team Districts

It evens out the chances for every team in every District that way, as opposed to only 3 form an 8-team District or 3 out 4 from a 4-team District.

Just an idea........... :idea:

I THINK IT SHOULD GO BACK TO TOP TWO, THREE IS OK BUT MORE THAN THAT IS JUST BORING, WHATS THE POINT OF DISTRICT IF EVERYONE GETS OUT? IF THEY DO THAT THEY SHOULD JUST CALL THEM PRESEASON GAMES. WELL THATS JUST MY THOUGHT, I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG, IT WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME.

It evens out the chances for every team in every District that way' date=' as opposed to only 3 form an 8-team District or 3 out 4 from a 4-team District.

Just an idea........... :idea:[/quote']

A lot of the problem with then number of teams in the playoffs per district is the UIL way of dividing them up.

This year in 4-4A it is a 5 team district and in 7-4A (same region) it is an 11 team district. It sure seems unfair no matter how many teams go to the playoffs to divide teams like that. Could you imagine the NFL where Dallas in an NFC division with 5 teams and another NFC division has 11 and the top team goes?

Guest Pirate V Ball

It evens out the chances for every team in every District that way' date=' as opposed to only 3 form an 8-team District or 3 out 4 from a 4-team District.

Just an idea........... :idea:[/quote'] Good idea.

2....make getting to the playoffs meaningful again. 3 is watered down and 4 would be a lot of 2 win teams getting in. Ask some of the guys who played on 9-1 teams back in the day that didnt get in how they feel about a sub .500 team making the playoffs..... :lol: 2 is plenty of teams.

Also ELIMINATE the stupid D1 and D2 crap. I hate that format. We cant even crown a true champion in each classification. What a joke.

Also,,to the folks that are wanting to "give all the kids a chance"...and allow 4 or 5 teams into the playoffs I ask you this. Is it better to let a 3-7 team lick their wounds and start rebuilding for the next season, OR let them go to the playoffs only to get the inevitable behind kickin they will surely recieve when they play one of the deserving better teams. I bet the kids would rather not get embarassed or hurt on the football field just to be able to say they made the playoffs.

92, I'm not sure I agree with that statement. If kids are afraid of getting their butt kicked in football, then maybe they shouldn't play, because I don't care how good you are, that butt kicking is down the road somewhere....pre-district, district, or playoffs....it's out there. Ask a kid, heck ask your Indians if they would like a shot at the playoffs right now, or sit at home because their record wasn't good enough. I bet you already know the answer to that one, so do I. Let's say WB won the district title out right and had to play SLC in the first round. What difference does a district title make for that contest? If you are 2-8 or 10-0, SLC is going to hand it to you. in the playoffs, you earn your shot at the next round, no matter your record.

85, it seems to me that early Ozen made the playoffs with a 2-8 record, or something like that. That woulod be considered a weak team. With a record like that, do you think most people think they deserved a shot at the playoffs? Probably not, but ask any of those Ozen players if they were glad to make it, I bet they were ecstatic..

There have plenty of district champs with terrible records from weak districts that have gotten it handed to them in the playoffs. I don't believe those kids were scarred for life. I think it was an exciting experience for them that they will never forget. The playoff system is designed to eliminate the weaker teams so that the title game is essentially between the 2 best teams. What could be better? Like I said, if you don't belong, you will find out soon enough. Just my humble opinion.

Is it better to let a 3-7 team lick their wounds and start rebuilding for the next season' date=' OR let them go to the playoffs only to get the inevitable behind kickin they will surely recieve when they play one of the deserving better teams. [b']I bet the kids would rather not get embarassed or hurt on the football field just to be able to say they made the playoffs.

Ask the kids that and see what the answer is. I don't think many (or any) of them would turn down the playoffs because they might get hurt or beat. How is a playoff game any different than any other game on chances of getting hurt or beat?

easy fellas,,,its just MY opinion that the playoffs would be better suited with 2 teams not 3 or 4 making it. Id rather not watch 2-8 or 3-7 teams make it, not even PNG. Thats my opinion and it will not change. I also will not change my opinion on the D1, D2 format. Its stupid and should be changed.

TVC after re-reading your probably right, in fact I know your right about asking the kids. Most would say Heck yes to playing in the playoffs. I was wrong about that one..... I am just thinking from my perspective. I would rather not see my fav team get destroyed in a playoff game just for the sake of saying they went. I know there are teams that finish 3rd that are good teams and could have a fighting chance but Im speaking more along the lines of the ones that finish around 3-7 or worse and have a very slim chance of keeping the game close, much less winning it.

I was wondering why you said "easy". I didn't think you were getting flamed.

I look back at WO-S sitting at home their last three years in 4A as the 4th team in our district. Nederland was the 3rd place team and going to the quarter or semi-finals. WO-S could have done at least that good.

The problem is this, do you set all districts playoff teams by the weakest districts in the state that have very little competition or do you set the playoff teams by the strong districts. It is very true that the 3rd place team in a lot of districts could not beat the cellar dwellers in 22-4A or 21-3A. That could also be said of some of the 1st place teams in some of the weaker districts. I bet there are some districts where even the 1st place team rarely makes it past the first game.

Do you set the rules to give strong teams in a strong district a chance, thereby allowing a weaker district with an undeserving team an extra game or do you punish the strong district in order to keep a possibly weaker team out of the playoffs on the other side of the state?

I feel more strongly to let the deserving teams in with the knowledge that some undeserving teams will slip in the back door rather than kick out some very good teams simply because a district somewhere else doesn't live up to the competition level in most of the state.

Just my opinion.

I can tell you 2 teams is good enough. We benefited in 82 and 83 as did WB. Also you pay a price for finishing 2nd because everybody we played in '83 were district champs and or ranked. 3 teams just weakened everything

I can tell you 2 teams is good enough. We benefited in 82 and 83 as did WB. Also you pay a price for finishing 2nd because everybody we played in '83 were district champs and or ranked. 3 teams just weakened everything

I don't see how you can say that in a blanket statement. How are two teams in a 6 team district going to necessarily be better than 3 teams from an 8 or 9 team district.

In any case, how can 3 teams weaken anything? Does a district champion get weaker by playing the #2 team in the first round of the playoffs?

• 5 months later...

Three is the max.

Remember in every calculation, with the first game starting Labor Day weekend you must finish the playoffs by CHRISTmas.

With a 10 week season, I think you can only have 5 (maybe 6) rounds.

I think 2 teams would be idea, but I don't mind 3.

Also (although it is a $$$ thing for the UIL) it is really about the kids.

3 teams in the playoffs equals more athletes being able to brag at the 20 year reunioun that they made the playoffs.  Depending on your district, three teams may really deserve a shot at the playoffs.

Guest ECBucFan

In it's never ending quest to rake in additional piles of money, the UIL has a "water it down" philosphy going. Believe it or not, down the road ALL teams will be "playoff teams". Of course, this cheapens real accomplishments severely. Maybe one day we will just stop keeping score!  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

3 is a good number. In some districts the 3rd place teams are better than alot of district champs in other districts. We want our local districts to go as far as they can, whatever team it is. It is to our local advantage to let as many of our kids in the playoffs as we can. Flood the market. :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder