BBCOR BAT QUESTION

According to statistics provided by the NCAA at the season's midpoint, scoring nationwide is down 20 percent and home run production has been cut nearly in half.

http://www.mercurynews.com/scu-broncos/ci_17994501?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Through April 3 – when the NCAA compiles its “midseason” stats report – the average Division I team was hitting 0.47 home runs and scoring 5.63 runs a game. That’s down from 0.85 home runs and 6.98 runs scored per game at the same point from a year ago.

The new bats, which are designed to mimic wood, led to some eye-opening numbers during the season’s first eight weeks:

- Division I’s overall batting average fell from .301 a year ago to .279;

- Pitchers ERAs dropped from 5.83 to 4.62;

- Shutouts skyrocketed from 277 to 444.

Virginia pitcher Will Roberts threw a perfect game against George Washington two weeks ago – just the eighth perfect game in Division I.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/new-bats-college-baseball-hitting-sags

I am looking forward to this next year. I think the kids that can hit with these bats are going to be in better postion for scholarships and those that could be drafted out of high school. Maybe this will also bring a little more stategy to the game where bunting and moving runners will be much more important. I also think it will make coaches manage the game different. Maybe pitchers will start working the inside a litle more also.

Lets use "player protection" to make the bat companies a bundle of money.Everyone will have to buy one of the BBCOR bats to participate from little league on up.I could buy that this rule was not profit driven if the wooden bats were demanded instead of BBCOR.The players would like playing like the pros and the scouts would get a true picture of hitting ability.

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="scapegoat" post="1008419" timestamp="1305047878"]
Lets use "player protection" to make the bat companies a bundle of money.Everyone will have to buy one of the BBCOR bats to participate from little league on up.I could buy that this rule was not profit driven if the wooden bats were demanded instead of BBCOR.The players would like playing like the pros and the scouts would get a true picture of hitting ability.
[/quote]

I agree. Less expensive in the long run too. IMO

With the new bats, yes, the power numbers are going to diminish, but that has nothing to do with line drives up the middle, 6-hole, 4-hole, or a gapper. It's going to cause all the dip-and-drive guys to change their philosophies, or they'll dip-and-drive to mid-outfield. A good batter/hitter will find a way to get on.

Just finished a full college year watching my son and teammates use the new BBCOR....there is a major difference, some players that hit 11 or 12 HR's the prior year, hit 2 or 3 this year. I will say this when you catch it flush it will go but the sweet spot seems smaller.

I also will tell you that if it was wood there would have been a ton of broken bats this year but instead it looked like a lot more dink hits that would normally be fly outs with the old bats.

Power numbers were down but you can still put up the runs and if you can hit doesn't matter what kind of bat you have. I did get feed back that wood jumps better than the BBCOR.

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1008419" timestamp="1305047878"]
[/quote]

I agree completely.

[quote name="Bears" post="1008759" timestamp="1305123789"]
Just finished a full college year watching my son and teammates use the new BBCOR....there is a major difference, some players that hit 11 or 12 HR's the prior year, hit 2 or 3 this year. I will say this when you catch it flush it will go but the sweet spot seems smaller.

[b]I also will tell you that if it was wood there would have been a ton of broken bats this year but instead it looked like a lot more dink hits that would normally be fly outs with the old bats.[/b]
Power numbers were down but you can still put up the runs and if you can hit doesn't matter what kind of bat you have. I did get feed back that wood jumps better than the BBCOR.
[/quote]

I've seen enough of that this year to last a lifetime......very, very frustrating when your kid pitches.

[quote name="Bears" post="1008872" timestamp="1305146615"]
How is the young lad Eagle07?

DOOG did really well this year even though they had the bat change.......
[/quote]

He has been throwing really well.............no run support last 5 starts = 5 no decisions.  :-[
He has started last two Friday nights and previous four Sundays. Scheduled to start this Friday. However, he's been at chiropractor and massage therapist trying to get rid of knots and tightness behind left shoulder.....we'll see. I'm planning on driving up for Friday night's game. i will give you a call this week...catch up.

Guest Ranger83
But a HS kid does not require a top of the line wood bat. Teaxh him how to hit properly and he will not break that many bats.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder