2011 Super Gold Girls Soccer Team

I would honestly politely ask who votes for these girls. There are several talented players that are on the list but by far there are some extremely talented girls who were missed on this list. What about all of the Division I Senior players who have played for years. Clearly Kelly high has several more talented girls that were not mentioned. Have you checked out the Kelly girls scrimmaging record with the local teams? There is a reason for that. The talent. There is talent scattered throughout the area.  I am truly disappointed in alot of the picks again because I do not feel this is not a true depiction of the true talent that we have in our area. Granted I have watched many of the girls picked over the years and there is talent, and congratulations to them they deserve it. My point is that the Super Gold team for the last several years is that there are some truly talented girls who have just not been mentioned which disheartens me. 

Kelly lost to WB in the first  Winter Classic  four years ago BoxT.. but has won most (leaning towards all) of the local matches since. ;D

To your question who votes.... I do not think it would be a bad idea to get some type of player participation... It would be tough for it not to turn into a popularity vote ... but if you could get a true evaluation from the participants.. I think it would be fairly accurate.

Players know Aaron Strawser( the girl is committed to UT that speaks volumes to her soccer ability), Natalie Hagar, Chloe, Kaitlyn Stowe, Yasi, Bailey, Bianca, Emily, Claire etc...

It may be the tweak it needs.. it could not hurt.

Guest Newbie
Congratulations to all the girls that made it.  if yours didn't, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Yes, there are some better players that didn't make the teams but really, what do they get out of it other than bragging rights?  And regarding the Kelly-WB  scorecard:  WB has traditionally spanked Kelly over the years.  This year's group of seniors made it harder.  After they leave, it will be back to what it used to be.  I would have picked Aaron as the MVP, then again I'm just a little partial to the Lady Bruins.  Anyone care to take a guess what next year's WB v Kelly game would be like?  ;D ;D ;D Oh BTW, I heard one or two of the better playesr may be pulling a [b]Sladie[/b]  :o :o :o

[quote name="Newbie" post="1002627" timestamp="1303853041"]
Congratulations to all the girls that made it.  if yours didn't, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Yes, there are some better players that didn't make the teams but really, what do they get out of it other than bragging rights?  And regarding the Kelly-WB  scorecard:  WB has traditionally spanked Kelly over the years.  This year's group of seniors made it harder.  After they leave, it will be back to what it used to be.  I would have picked Aaron as the MVP, then again I'm just a little partial to the Lady Bruins.  Anyone care to take a guess what next year's WB v Kelly game would be like?   ;D ;D ;D Oh BTW, I heard one or two of the better playesr may be pulling a [b]Sladie[/b]   :o :o :o
[/quote]

I will bet that next year will be a little more competitive than years past... How do you come to that conclusion Rip...1) due to the crop of effective freshman that have come into the fold. They remind me of ours girls when they were freshman. Tara Austin is the real deal she reminds me of a young yasimine afshar or Aaron Strawser... if she goes abroad and plays on the premier level she can really become something special. I have never made that suggestion to her father... I want to stay on good terms with SSSC. Let's look at another freshman Jillian Ryalls  she scored 2 goals in that 7-6 defeat to Ursuline... that was no fluke.. Ursuline did not let up. And if my mind serves me correctly she denied one of you guys sure goals inside the 6 in our little scrimmage this year.. speaking of that scrimmage and WB roster.. Aaron is the only bonafide premier level player... there was a sophomore(Helen Grambrath) in that scrimmage who will no doubt be back.. who for lack of a better phrase shut Aaron down in the midfield ( a complete surprise to me) with the only exception being the beautiful break away cross to Rachel Babin. That cross came before Helen was inserted into the midfield.. to be honest after that goal I thought it was going to be a long night. Goalies.. I think Kelly's is as good as WB... the only thing that may help is if SD stays in Houston and moves up to premier. Now as far the others... Kelly has two stout Juniors will be Seniors in Lauren Zeto and Caitlyn Quinn.. Lauren was at one time the stoutest of the three when all three played together back in the day... that being Aaron, Caitlyn and Zeto.. I do not know what happen but if she returns to that physical dominance it could be on.. and if and only if they will put Caitlyn at defense to assume Madeline Hornings position that could stop anyone from blowing by them.. only well orchestrated pass and move is going to fly. There are no other players at WB that scare me. decent but not great unless there is something cooking in the lower levels I am unaware of. Now those 97 or 98 girls they will surely tip the scales no matter where they go. ( hopefully enough to Kelly)

I had a personal issue with Brittney Burddick getting no love.... her team did more in the regionals than her counter part and against tougher comp... I did my homework to prove it Ursuline had 6 verifiable Div 1 commits where as Waco Midway had none you could verify... Although they have 12 players who play on the Sting Waco 93 who are ranked 16th in North TX.. 68 in Region 3 and 346 in the Nation... The Hughes 93G put a spanking on them as well as FC Dallas 2nd tier team who I watch play this weekend and was not impressed.  I agree with Natalie being MVP due to the 43 goals and I am a big Strawser fan and also her chauffeur from time to time to practice.... do I believe Nat is a better overall player than Aaron...... no I do not... but she earned the award.

we did beat the team that took you guys out so there! :P

Guest Newbie
You're absolutely right, rip!  Aaron is THE ONLY premier level player on the WB team and yet look how they did! ;D ;D ;D She missed the first 2 games in district play *she had better things to do other than play soccer  :o ), one of which was against the second place team in our district, Baytown Sterling and yet we somehow managed to beat them 8-0 on an away game.  Soccer is a team effort.  A mediocre group of 11 players that play well as a team will beat a team of soccer standouts with 2-3 college commits (read:Sterling).  Burdick left when the seniors left.  She knows something you don't. ;)

I am always intrigued by posters on this blog who hide their profile so they can post under the cloak of anominity.
Let's start with what we can agree upon. One reporter, in her first year in the area, completely unfamiliar with the select scene, who must watch games at all levels over the Triangle, with lots of confusing input from parents and coaches, is primarily responsible for the Super Gold selections. Given the limitations, I thought Gina and Bmt Ent. did an acceptable job and one of their responsibilities is to sell papers by involving as many readers as possible.
Natalie, the MVP, and the other selections were all deserving even if you would personally have rated or placed them differently. Aaron Strawser would have been a great choice for MVP. She is obviously extremely talented otherwise the largest university in the state would not be offering her a scholarship. Personally, my MVP would have been Madeline Horning at Kelly. My other strong difference with the selections would have placed keeper Bailey Fontenot on the first team although Stacy Dolan is talented. 
Most of the current players owe some or all of their success to the efforts of Mike Hughes, Steve Hernandez and the other Spindletop volunteers who provide opportunities for most of these selections to improve their abilities outside of their school programs.
I know those of us affiliated with Kelly were disappointed that PNG cancelled its scheduled game with Kelly and declined to reschedule depsite several offers by Coach Burdick to do so.
Similarly, I am unclear of whether Newbie's reference to "spankings" is to games or scrimmages since WB usually will not schedule a game with Kelly but scrimmages only. In fact, the only time they have played an actual game in the last 6 yrs+ was a Kelly sponsored tournament. In that one game, 3 yrs ago, WB prevailed by a single goal which you would locigally expect from a large 5A school with 1000+ girls compared to one with an enrollment of approximately 200 girls.
Earlier this year, Newbie seemed to be offended when I discussed he results of the WB/Kelly scrimmage as if it meant more to one team than the other. Is his post now saying that WB will actually schedule a GAME with Kelly next year? Perhaps playing tougher preseason games would help WB win more than one game in the playoffs beyond clubbing the seals on their districit schedule.
For this year, rather than future predictions, all that can be said is the in GAMES, with the one common opponent, Kelly beat Clear Springs and WB went home. I think that description is called "Scoreboard".

I have to give a little input in to this string of messages.  Of course I am somewhat partial but that is understood.  I will just say that no one player or even 2 or 3 players make a "team".  WB has a [b]couple[/b] of players that were on the team and still are that contributed to what has happened in the past as well as what will happen in the future.  Kelly is in the same situation. 
Statistics mean a lot to me and if you look at WB statistics for this past year, there were other players that contributed to the succes of WB.
Both WB & Kelly will have competitive teams next year.
Hopefully we will get to see them go head to head in the WB Tournament in January. 

[quote name="Newbie" post="1003017" timestamp="1303953817"]
You're absolutely right, rip!  Aaron is THE ONLY premier level player on the WB team and yet look how they did! ;D ;D ;D She missed the first 2 games in district play *she had better things to do other than play soccer  :o ), one of which was against the second place team in our district, Baytown Sterling and yet we somehow managed to beat them 8-0 on an away game.  Soccer is a team effort.  A mediocre group of 11 players that play well as a team will beat a team of soccer standouts with 2-3 college commits (read:Sterling).  Burdick left when the seniors left.  She knows something you don't. ;)
[/quote] What would that be... I have personally coached ( Mike and Jan's assistant.. gopher what ever) 15.. of the current Super Gold players in the past 10 years. 14 on the SSSC93G and one Brianna Tamayo pre SSSC when her mother and I coached a BYSC club team... I will admit back then Barbara knew way more than I did about the sport of soccer... but I have been fairly close to most of the girls that are leading their respective High Schools.  How come we have never met... or have we?

As to why Burddick is leaving... it has something to do with being pregnant 3 of her 4 years at Kelly and having to be a stay home mom for kids ages 4,3 and 2.. my guess is some day she will be back and if she has a little Phil Jackson's intuition it will be when the 97-98 birthdays get to high school!

As far as the Brook.... you are right that a team can beat any single standout.. hence the success of Waco Midway... they have no premier level players to be honest... I do not know if they are Div 1 but 12 of them are playing for the same team Sting Waco 93... which gives them some familiarity.

I was just replying to the comment that WB was going to spank Kelly next year and based on my current knowledge of both rosters.. I think it will be close.

[quote name="sportzgirl" post="1003097" timestamp="1303995859"]
New here so please forgive me, but what is Kelly's interest in PNG??? Why is it such an issue that they did not get to play them this year??? ???
[/quote]

Awe it is no more than bragging rights! The MVP(s) of the last two years has played with the girls from Kelly on Mike Hughes 93g.. not much more and Coach Bates a very good coach has won coach of the year and pretty deserving other than she has not beat Kelly's coach Burddick in the last 4 years. Kelly went to the Reservation and won their tournament 4 years ago... so maybe Burddick should have won one of those Coaching awards thats all no big deal... just some old men ( I am nearly 50) with nothing better to do... most of us are good friends :D

For all of those interested, Kelly is in fact working with the West Brook coach to set up a game.  Kelly will play in the West Brook tourament.  Another fact would be the teams that are winning the regions and or state are usually NOT LOADED with div one players but however have developed into a TEAM of players representing their school and playing hard for their friends.  That is more the reason Kelly was succesful than not. Brittany was strong in making these girls a team as was the fact that these girls have played club together for so long.  It develops a bond.  High School soccer is more about... not who has the strongest three players but how weak your weakest three are.  Club at the high levels well your fortunate to be loaded with all the best on one team so easy to coach and be great.  Club teams like the girls have played on and learned how to play together is important.  The sad part for high school soccer in this area the club system around here is broken.  With that all said.  Brittany left NOT because the girls are graduating but like RIP said she has three young young children who I imagine need a great mom more than the older girls need a GREAT coach.  She probably stayed for those senior girls because she had developed a bond that was probably the reason they were so succesful. As for this award and any others. BE HAPPY for who got what not why yours didnt get more. Putting down another kid is not going to change the fact and at least have class about all of this. 

[quote name="sharkfutbol" post="1003805" timestamp="1304123949"]
For all of those interested, Kelly is in fact working with the West Brook coach to set up a game.  Kelly will play in the West Brook tourament.  Another fact would be the teams that are winning the regions and or state are usually NOT LOADED with div one players but however have developed into a TEAM of players representing their school and playing hard for their friends.  That is more the reason Kelly was succesful than not. Brittany was strong in making these girls a team as was the fact that these girls have played club together for so long.  It develops a bond.  High School soccer is more about... not who has the strongest three players but how weak your weakest three are.  Club at the high levels well your fortunate to be loaded with all the best on one team so easy to coach and be great.  Club teams like the girls have played on and learned how to play together is important.  The sad part for high school soccer in this area the club system around here is broken.  With that all said.  Brittany left NOT because the girls are graduating but like RIP said she has three young young children who I imagine need a great mom more than the older girls need a GREAT coach.  She probably stayed for those senior girls because she had developed a bond that was probably the reason they were so succesful. As for this award and any others. BE HAPPY for who got what not why yours didnt get more. Putting down another kid is not going to change the fact and at least have class about all of this.  
[/quote]

Shark... I heard you are the next head coach of the girls side as well as the boys... which lends itself to the assumption... Kelly will beat WB next year  ;D

Ursuline was loaded... as well as Clear Lake(one girl going to the Univeristy of Tennesse as well as Houston area MVP and starting forward for the AHFC 93 opposite of Zuri... Brittney Wade) and another (Alex Arlitt) going to LSU.. and that's big time.  both have log some serious hours on the ODP circuit. Alex has also been playing in the Elite Club National League ( only the top clubs in the nation) and Albion cannot get a bid into.  Not to mention Jill Lutz who plays on Aarons 94 team ranked #1 in South Texas and in the top 50 in the nation.. she is an awesome player.. motor never stops.. you would love her. The Woodlands and King Wood have several of our teammates. Now that I think about it Kelly was also Loaded by South East Texas standards. Clear Lake went deep as for the Woodlands not as much. But the Waco Midway roster is as you say not loaded with top grade talent but girls (12) who obviously know each other very well and are playing in the off season on the same team.  Sting Waco 93.

Kelly's team does not go to a 7-6 decision with the loaded roster of Ursuline( 6 verifiable Div 1 commits and I heard as high as eight) without Claire, Zee,Yasmine, Madeline, Stephanie, Teilor, Tara, MC and Jillian (excuse me if I left out anyone else on Jim Duncan's team) all playing on someones Div 1 team. And many more like Jenny, Caitlyn, Regan and Lauren playing on Steve's Div 2 team. I agree it has as much to do with team chemistry as it does with raw talent.. but nothing beats highly talented teams that have great team chemistry. I know we have had this discussion of club and High school chicken or egg.. but if you look at WB roster.. You have Lisl, The twins, Aaron, Stacy, Hannah Babin, Rachel Babin, Julia , John Olson's daughter, Jim Duncan's daughter Laura Gallegos and many more that play at the club level.. Now PN-G I cannot quite figure out because that team does not have as many club players with the exception of a few ( and now that I think about it maybe Aimee did more with less)... but even their top two scorers over the past 2 years (50 and 43 goals respectively) and consecutive MVP's Nat and Chloe have played club most of their careers.

We need to sit.. no joke and talk about what you would do differently on the club scene because I know you have been there done that! I applaud the North and the South for getting together lately and working it out to improve versus taking my short cut and letting a Big Club come in here... Frankly I think Sting and Maybe Challenge are beginning to get diluted with all these take overs.

I had original pulled my first post as you say not to belittle are down grade the girls that did win the awards... but someone got my motor started again and there was some collateral damage. I will go back to tidy up anything I said that would be taking as a dis to any of the award winners.

Thanks Shark.... see ya in the Nov.

[quote name="sharkfutbol" post="1004278" timestamp="1304196284"]
Without a doubt........... Talent and chemistry wins most if not all of the time.  No doubt this past Kelly team was great because they all played high level club.  Without a doubt that is a great thing.  I was meaning to say that Kellys girl team this past year was a treat to watch.  Great soccer and probably one of the top teams in the state this past season at any level...  Great group of girls.
[/quote]

Cool...... but I am looking forward to what you and Jessica can do with the next generation of Bulldogs... turn them into pits... coach!!!!

Go Dawgs!

ps.. I ran into Helen G's mom in the neighborhood this morning and she was thinking about holding Helen out of soccer due to the injury.. time for you to  hit the recruiting trail (their house) and sway the vote..

I did my best to softening her up for ya... saying she is not going to be able to live with herself if she doesn't let Helen play and take these short precious high school moments from her. She replied " what about the artheritis"?  I said heck we all get it when we get OLD!

RIP....You knew i would come in on this one...Way to Juicy! First I will say Congrats to all the Super Gold Girls!  Very Deserving to each and every one of you!  And a very special Congrats to Natalie on the MVP!  Natalie...you have been a very special soccer player to watch..for the Indians as well as Spindletop Select!  As far as the Kelly vs. PNG debate ( which seems to always come up).... I will give my honest opinion:  Two years ago...when Chloe and Natalie were Juniors.. We loss 3-1 in the first game of the Kelly Tournament and then 1-0 at Indian Stadium in Early February!  I would never take anything from a great Kelly squad or program....ever! First Class and proud how they have represented our area! Lets not forget  though that when the Lady Indians loss 3-1; it was their first game of the year compared to Kelly's Mid-Season!  As far as the 1-0 game in February...(In which I thought Kelly played one of the best Defensive games i have seen) It was still early in the Indians Season and Late in the Kelly Bulldog Season.  AND....lets not forget that year...Natalie was not even back on the field; due to her ACL & MCL tear!  So Kelly did not get the Indians at full strength.  The following year...(this year)...Chloe had several nagging injuries and illnesses and never got back on the field full strength until late March.  As far as Aimee not playing Kelly when the opportunities came up?  I would say she was looking forward to the bigger picture of the 4A playoffs rather than the debate of which area team is better?  And again, if she would have played Kelly...it would have been without Chloe this time.  I would never take anything away from Kelly and the year they had this year!  Proud of them and this Indian will pull for them always!  But......I wish PNG and Kelly would have had the opportunity to play each other when both were at full strength......Just saying....? 

Sportzgirl,
PNG's cancellation of the scheduled game and inability to reschedule was significant to me because it deprived local fans of watching what I believe were the two best teams (WB included here) in the area play. Personally, I would have enjoyed watching how the Super Gold players of the year for the last two years and the other talented PNG players fared against the four Kelly Super Gold selections and their teammates and vice versa.
The games I prefer and want to see, win or lose, are closely matched teams where the margin of win or lose is very thin. To me, these games are much better for the players and the fans than large margin victories where the game is decided well before half time.
Such a match, an actual game, would have allowed the fans of this area to watch the determination of who was the best team on the playing field and via scoreboard rather than speculation and internet posts.
For instance, who do you think was the better team this year, PNG or Kelly? See what I mean.

[quote name="sharkstooth" post="1004488" timestamp="1304224503"]
RIP....You knew i would come in on this one...Way to Juicy! First I will say Congrats to all the Super Gold Girls!  Very Deserving to each and every one of you!  And a very special Congrats to Natalie on the MVP!  Natalie...you have been a very special soccer player to watch..for the Indians as well as Spindletop Select!  As far as the Kelly vs. PNG debate ( which seems to always come up).... I will give my honest opinion:  Two years ago...when Chloe and Natalie were Juniors.. We loss 3-1 in the first game of the Kelly Tournament and then 1-0 at Indian Stadium in Early February!  I would never take anything from a great Kelly squad or program....ever! First Class and proud how they have represented our area! Lets not forget  though that when the Lady Indians loss 3-1; it was their first game of the year compared to Kelly's Mid-Season!  As far as the 1-0 game in February...(In which I thought Kelly played one of the best Defensive games i have seen) It was still early in the Indians Season and Late in the Kelly Bulldog Season.  AND....lets not forget that year...Natalie was not even back on the field; due to her ACL & MCL tear!  So Kelly did not get the Indians at full strength.  The following year...(this year)...Chloe had several nagging injuries and illnesses and never got back on the field full strength until late March.  As far as Aimee not playing Kelly when the opportunities came up?  I would say she was looking forward to the bigger picture of the 4A playoffs rather than the debate of which area team is better?  And again, if she would have played Kelly...it would have been without Chloe this time.  I would never take anything away from Kelly and the year they had this year!  Proud of them and this Indian will pull for them always!  But......I wish PNG and Kelly would have had the opportunity to play each other when both were at full strength......Just saying....?  
[/quote]

I have been waiting on ya!!! Glad you did not catch the first post... It was a fire starter! Chloe should be at the house in a bit... We are going as Allies to kick some Eclipse rear ends!

So I ask again? how is everyone's club teams doing.. I seem to not be getting any bites on that one.

We are 2-0 on a joint effort from PN-G, Kelly and HJ... not to mention a few good Houston area schools.

oh and  Watash reminded me that Claire was out for that Feb game as well as Lauren Zeto being injured in that battle.. stuff happens.. Let's go take it out on Eclipse Black!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin