Is PNG going to offer open enrollment??

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1000774" timestamp="1303400770"]
[quote author=ilovebaseball link=topic=83477.msg1000765#msg1000765 date=1303399593]
We were wondering if anyone knows if PNG is going to offer open enrollment??!!!?
[/quote]

It was tabled at the last board meeting due the large about of protest against it.
[/quote]

That's not the answer we were hoping for :( thanks though!

[quote name="BaseballWarrior" post="1000776" timestamp="1303400884"]
What would be the harm in it? I understand they only want 'their own' going to school there, but does it hurt anything to offer it?
[/quote]

I don't know.  would the parents of these "open enrollment" kids be paying taxes to the PNGISD?

He started in BISD, but now he's a PNG product.  He's not going to do anything to cost the district money, he's going to help the district by open enrollment. Having a B average is a sign of a good student, heck a C isn't that bad.  The man's had mess to fix and he's still hanging in there.

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1000877" timestamp="1303414123"]
Sorry I do not like the open enrollment. If they do open it up they need to charge. Not fair to the tax payers of the district.
And to be honest I am not impressed from what I've seen from Cavnass. He is another Thomas.
[/quote]

I understand the idea of not paying your fair share but when a student transfers, he is effect brings his own tax money. The state pays for the child (up to $5,600 I think) to be in that school and it is probably a lot more than many or most are already paying for their kids to go to any school. As an example, if 100 kids transfer to PNGISD or any district, that can be about half a million dollars added to the budget. How much tuition do they need to then pay to go to a public school?

Also remember, taxes are only paid by homeowners so the parents many PNGISD students are not paying any taxes.

Considering that they bring money with them from the state (and let's be real, that is why districts want open enrollment) and the parents of many students living in the district don't pay taxes either, wanting to make transfers pay out of fairness to the "taxpayers" is not a valid reason.

[quote name="tvc184" post="1000961" timestamp="1303424189"]

I understand the idea of not paying your fair share but when a student transfers, he is effect brings his own tax money. The state pays for the child (up to $5,600 I think) to be in that school and it is probably a lot more than many or most are already paying for their kids to go to any school. As an example, if 100 kids transfer to PNGISD or any district, that can be about half a million dollars added to the budget. How much tuition do they need to then pay to go to a public school?

Also remember, taxes are only paid by homeowners so the parents many PNGISD students are not paying any taxes.

Considering that they bring money with them from the state (and let's be real, that is why districts want open enrollment) and the parents of many students living in the district don't pay taxes either, wanting to make transfers pay out of fairness to the "taxpayers" is not a valid reason.
[/quote]

This makes a great argument for selling your more expensive house in Groves or Port Neches and buying a mini-mansion in Griffing Park, doesn't it? Is that the sound of falling property values I hear in mid-county?

I'd be tempted.

[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="1000986" timestamp="1303427136"]
I wager that scores of [b]schools will be competing for each others kids for the 1st time the next couple of years[/b].  The state money follows the kid.  The property tax money is a fraction of that and the poster above said is zero for those renting or living with relatives.
[/quote]

Its already happening. Have you seen any of the school district commercials on TV?

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1001224" timestamp="1303444082"]
[quote author=NDN79 link=topic=83477.msg1001177#msg1001177 date=1303440468]
Does Cavness even reside and pay taxes within PNGISD?
[/quote]

From what I heard he still lives in Beaumont.
[/quote]
probably next door to thomas

[quote name="YOUKNOWIT11" post="1001978" timestamp="1303707864"]
Wouldn't recruiting gain a whole new dimension?
[/quote]

Not really recruiting. I think they still have to live in the district to play varsity the year they are enrolled. Move-in in the district-wait 15 days, out of district- school year? Someone let me know if I'm wrong on this

[quote name="signkiller" post="1001908" timestamp="1303684873"]
[quote author=ilovebaseball link=topic=83477.msg1001664#msg1001664 date=1303591890]
I was just told that it is actually still being considered?!? That comes from administration too!! fingers crossed!
[/quote]There are homes in png for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I like my neighbors though  ;D  ;D ;)  ;)

So the best running back in the state gets an op to play for PNG and the only drawback is he has to wait 15 days before playing varsity ball? Is that...what maybe 1 game he'll miss??? As I said...recruiting will take on a whole new dimension if open enrollment exists. 

Maybe all our schools should consider it? Kind if like Baytown back in the day when your daddy could get a job at Exxon if he had good stocky boys to come along too and play for the Ganders.

Guest Brubaker
Who needs open enrollment, when kids get to play for Neumann???  New stadium, new coach.... Dogs still gettin it done and lookin to continue, probably take it to the next level.  We had an all male sweep this year and this is just the beginning.  Maybe we don't give some enough credit?

[quote name="YOUKNOWIT11" post="1002373" timestamp="1303788533"]
So the best running back in the state gets an op to play for PNG and the only drawback is he has to wait 15 days before playing varsity ball? Is that...what maybe 1 game he'll miss??? As I said...recruiting will take on a whole new dimension if open enrollment exists. 

Maybe all our schools should consider it? Kind if like Baytown back in the day when your daddy could get a job at Exxon if he had good stocky boys to come along too and play for the Ganders.
[/quote]

Well your option can happen right now. Parents just have to move in the district. If any parent likes a school more than another, they can move in for athletics. Just have to have an address in the district. Open enrollment has to do with those with residence outside the districtand want to go to another school without moving, Not the 15 day wait. The year wait

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa