Beaumont Kelly Coaching Situation/Clint Hartsfield hired as new HC

Guest incognito123

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bmtball" post="1021468" timestamp="1309443447"]
[quote author=incognito123 link=topic=82503.msg1021407#msg1021407 date=1309409380]
ttt....from march 31st.  Seems the Haynes/Long/Kelly converstions have been going on for roughly 3 months.  I'm sure someone at Kelly would take exception with the fact that Long has been talking about leaving this long and hasn't informed anyone.

Of course, all this is speculation, but where there is smoke.......
[/quote]

Actually, I think a number of Kelly people were aware of his desire to end his career in the public school system, so he could qualify for TRS retirement.  Perhaps, just not now, given his returning class is a strong one on both sides of the ball.  Plus the freshman class coming in to Kelly next fall will be an athletic one in several sports.

I can't remember if it was last year or the year before, he was one of the candidates who applied for the Orangefield job.  So we were aware he was on the lookout.
[/quote]

Long aint much of a loss.........the 2008 class shoulda, woulda, coulda won state...Long showed then he could easily be outcoached...shoulda canned him after that season

according to campbells football mag, MKCHS has 9/9 starters returning..should be a good yr if new qb comes thru

Long aint much of a loss.........the 2008 class shoulda, woulda, coulda won state...Long showed then he could easily be outcoached...shoulda canned him after that season

Long is one of the best offensive minds in this area. The fact is that Kelly has 400 students and plays teams that have 1,000 students. Everytime Kelly steps on the field they are the inferior team. The year you are referring to, St. Pius won state that year and Kelly had beat them during the season. Fort Worth Nolan beat Kelly by 4 points, it wasn't like they just ran them off the field. The next year when Kelly played Fort Worth Nolan again, they lost to them by 6 points and had 2 touchdowns called back. Kelly's team was nothing like it was the year before either. I would say that coaching was the only thing that kept Kelly in that game. Fort Worth went on to go win state. Fort Worth Nolan had 60 kids suited up compared to Kelly's 20 something. They had 12 coaches on staff compared to Kelly's 6. To discredit Long with what he had to work with is unjust. Kelly plays teams from Houston, Fort Worth, Dallas and Austin and all those schools recruit out of their metropolitan areas. Kelly gets kids from St. Annes and All Saints. St. Pius has put out 11 Division 1 players in the last 3 years and are in Kelly's district. The playing field isn't exactly fair, thats all I am going to say.

Guest twag11
[quote name="wb1989" post="1022142" timestamp="1309713020"]

Long is one of the best offensive minds in this area. The fact is that Kelly has 400 students and plays teams that have 1,000 students. Everytime Kelly steps on the field they are the inferior team. The year you are referring to, St. Pius won state that year and Kelly had beat them during the season. Fort Worth Nolan beat Kelly by 4 points, it wasn't like they just ran them off the field. The next year when Kelly played Fort Worth Nolan again, they lost to them by 6 points and had 2 touchdowns called back. Kelly's team was nothing like it was the year before either. I would say that coaching was the only thing that kept Kelly in that game. Fort Worth went on to go win state. Fort Worth Nolan had 60 kids suited up compared to Kelly's 20 something. They had 12 coaches on staff compared to Kelly's 6. To discredit Long with what he had to work with is unjust. Kelly plays teams from Houston, Fort Worth, Dallas and Austin and all those schools recruit out of their metropolitan areas. Kelly gets kids from St. Annes and All Saints. St. Pius has put out 11 Division 1 players in the last 3 years and are in Kelly's district. The playing field isn't exactly fair, thats all I am going to say.
[/quote] this is all correct

[quote name="Kelly Basketball" post="1021816" timestamp="1309538627"]
[quote author=the sports guy link=topic=82503.msg1021766#msg1021766 date=1309531075]
[quote author=incognito123 link=topic=82503.msg1021620#msg1021620 date=1309474666]
[quote author=Kelly Basketball link=topic=82503.msg1021543#msg1021543 date=1309459203]
EVERYONE at Kelly knew Coach Long was going to leave at some point to get his retirement, the question was whether he was going to try and get his Diocese of Beaumont retirement as well. I just think if your not familiar with the Kelly community and program you shouldnt be talking about it.

bmtball, your def right Kelly has a good deal of senior talent, and the incoming freshman are the most talented class to come through since well this years senior class.
[/quote]

This is public forum so I will discuss the "Kelly community" if I please.  My point is that there are kids that play ball at Kelly.  Kids that were counting on their coach to be there, not to drop them in July for a public school assistant job so that he can get his "retirement".  He could've done this earlier, since this has been his plan (according to you), in order for them to have more time to find a suitable replacement.  That is all I am saying.  Seems kind of disloyal to the players who have been loyal to Long. 
[/quote]
Coaches leave all over the state of Texas.  Players loyal to Long?....no.  Loyal to Kelly?....sure. 

Good for Coach Long.  Best wishes for Kelly. They will find a Coach that will want to "move" there.
[/quote]

Exactly, Kelly players are there playing for Kelly. And discuss Kelly all you want but don't spout off your opinions of what the Kelly community and players think.
[/quote]

I agree with him..and am part of the "Kelly Community"..dont wait till july to bail out

[quote name="wb1989" post="1022142" timestamp="1309713020"]

[/quote]

2008 was a once in 30 years group of kids and should have never lost to Nolan--as long as your talking scholarships, what 5 college ballplayers off that team?

lost last year TWICE to Houston Christian--same size---i think they had 2 different plays---0-6 in district?

at least the mystery boyz from port arthur disappeared

2008 was a once in 30 years group of kids and should have never lost to Nolan--as long as your talking scholarships, what 5 college ballplayers off that team?

lost last year TWICE to Houston Christian--same size---i think they had 2 different plays---0-6 in district?

at least the mystery boyz from port arthur disappeared
[/quote]

You can basically say that Kelly was 0-4 District because there was no way they were gonna beat St. Pius. Kelly started the year 4-1 before they got decimated by injuries. It's the same problem every year. They are one deep at every position and if someone gets hurt, thats it. You said that they had 9 offensive and 9 defensive starters coming back. The sad thing is that its the same 9 on offense that are on defense, so if one kid gets hurt; you lose two positions. They did lose their starting quarterback during district too, I don't think that helped. They lost four of those district games by a total of 13 points. YES Houston Christian is similar in size, but they have more kids on their football team. Kelly usually has a few good skill kids but get dominated up front on both sides of the ball. If one or more lineman get hurt, thats the season. As far as you calling the Port Arthur kids "boyz" with a Z, i feel like youre taking a shot at either their race or where they are from which is classless. You sound like one of those parents that ran off Coach Eskue when he had 19 winning seasons in 20 years and 8 state championships. The last one being in 1998, so I guess those teams dont come around every 30 years, just every 9. From what I have heard, Kelly only has two full time coaches on staff. So you should go volunteer your time like the rest of the coaches and go see what the problem really is.    P.S.  One of those Port Arthur "mystery boyz" is playing for Lamar and about to earn his degree, which is awesome. I hope Kelly provided him that opportunity, and I bet if you ask all the kids that played with the kids from Port Arthur, they would say that they greatly appreciated them being on the team.  Best of luck to Kelly and Coach Long.

Guest football03
[quote name="wb1989" post="1022257" timestamp="1309787321"]
Oh and it was 3 kids that went division 1 off the 07' team, not 5. And one of them was a kicker.
[/quote]

There were 3 seniors that went Div.1, but jr's. Taylor Meighan, who is now the starting center at Washington State, and Doug Prewitt starting Lamar Qb, both played on that team. As well as Cris Quinn who now plays for Baylor. Wasn't just seniors on that team. 

[quote name="football03" post="1022290" timestamp="1309814686"]
[quote author=wb1989 link=topic=82503.msg1022257#msg1022257 date=1309787321]
Oh and it was 3 kids that went division 1 off the 07' team, not 5. And one of them was a kicker.
[/quote]

There were 3 seniors that went Div.1, but jr's. Taylor Meighan, who is now the starting center at Washington State, and Doug Prewitt starting Lamar Qb, both played on that team. As well as Cris Quinn who now plays for Baylor. Wasn't just seniors on that team.  
[/quote]

Okay I'm sorry, I think I was misunderstood. I was just discussing the past three years with St. Pius. They have had 11 kids go Division 1, and receive full scholarships. Meaning they were recruited to division 1 universities, most of them being BCS schools. Schools like Michigan, TCU, Texas , Texas Tech, Iowa St., University of Houston, Northwestern University, Colorado, Penn St. etc... I wasn't talking about all the other kids that they had, that have walked on at schools. Taylor went to a Junior College, Prewitt walked on at a division 1AA as a receiver, and Quinn walked on at Baylor. Not taking anything away from those kids because they had to work twice as hard to get where they are, but none of these kids were in the top 300 recruits in Texas like all of these St. Pius kids were. St. Pius has had plenty of other kids go play college football, just not receive Division 1 scholarships. All three of those kelly kids are great football players and well deserving of what they have accomplished and where they are. Pius just sends out about 3-4 Division 1 scholarship players a year, which is ridiculous. The reason Kelly was so good in 07' is because they had 4 kids from Memorial, 2 from Ozen, 1 from Vidor and 1 from West Brook. Until they start getting kids like that again, they won't win. I don't know who would want to coach at Kelly, it's a trap. The parents have unrealistic expectations, the enrollment continues to decline, as well as the football team. Kids from St. Annes and All Saints cannot compete against the other private schools that recruit. Before long Kelly will be about the size of Legacy.

Guest twag11
[quote name="Go-rilla" post="1022463" timestamp="1309922965"]
nothing like hearing a bunch of ritch private school kids bicker.. These kids will make good lawyers and politicians!!! Please dont sue me for slander or defamation of character ;D
[/quote]Nothing like someone who can't even spell rich. Please don't come around generalizing people cause they go to a private school saying they are all rich cause that is a 100% false statement. Don't talk about stuff you know nothing about. That's all I'm saying.

What happened to the rest of your post about St. Pius and St. Vincents? Anyway, let me explain why this isn't so stupid. I was exaggerating a little about Kelly being Legacy. I hope that never happens, but in the last decade/decade and a half, Kelly has lost 300 students. The enrollment used to be 700 and something kids, and now its barely 400. Why is that? Well while St. Annes tuition has pretty much stayed the same over the last decade, the Kelly tuition has doubled. The economy is horrible and people don't want to pay 45k for four years of education when they could send their kids right down the street, for free, to West Brook ;). Thats why you see West End kids that used to go to Kelly, now going to West Brook. Dr.'s kids, lawyers kids, etc.. People that could afford to send their children to Kelly, but would rather save 45k and put it into their college education and maybe by them a car. This is also why you see them send their children to St. Annes so they can get a good foundation of education and then they go to West Brook. In the next decade, Kelly very well could be the size of Legacy, especially if the economy gets any worse, or even stays the way it is. I hope that made it clear.

In response to wb1989.  The tuition at Kelly is a sliding scale meaning that not everyone pays the whole amount.  It is rated against what the parents make per year. I would say NOT HALF pay the full tuition. In the last four years Kelly enrollment has increased by ten percent or around 40 students.  No clue on the cost of StAnnes and the feeder schools.  Alot of kids,  Doctors Lawyers and such select not going to Kelly, not because of the money but the load of the school work.  However that is speculation on reasons why.

[quote name="Go-rilla" post="1022556" timestamp="1309968582"]
Your right I'm sure the kids they recruit from Ozen are'nt wealthy. Bottom line is your crying because SPX recruits the entire Houston area and all you get is beaumont!! What a bunch of babies!
[/quote]

You have no idea of the sacrifices that some parents make in order to make sure their kids get an education from Kelly. How dare you generalize a whole school which you obviously know nothing about. Also it is YOU'RE not Your, RICH not RITCH, and AREN'T not ARE'NT. I'm glad I got an education from Kelly that taught me how to spell and proper grammar.

Also how is Legacy possibly going to get bigger, their feeder school just shut down?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder