Who will win state 1st? Silsbee or HJ

• 3 weeks later...
If Texas goes to a 6a classification system , it could open things up for a HJ football team that will have 6-8 freshman playing varsity ball next year. In 3 years HJ will be a playoff football team and in 4 years will have a great varsity team capable of going very far.This group of freshman will need some help ,but will gain alot of knoweledge and be prepared to make a state run in football, basketball, and baseball . Good group of kids and parents , that will support HJ to the end. Good luck hawks !!!! Oh and by the way , that Silsbee group that are freshman now...... they are extremely talented,dont count them out.

[quote name="bmrm" post="985507" timestamp="1300506477"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=81884.msg984674#msg984674 date=1300415809]
Tell me who you got?
[/quote]

Neither.  Silsbee has a better chance but it will never happen. 
[/quote]

This is the kind of negativity that keeps things from changing Billiam!!! Get your head up and get ready because its coming...I can count 6 boys right now in the 8th grade that are 6'1" or taller and athletic as all get out!!! Thats just the big ones. That aint counting the fast as lightning back. and recievers. These boys have been winning since they were 10 years old on the grid iron and baseball field. Oh, its coming, the possibilities are endless. 2012-13, 2013-14, and 2014-15 school years, HJ will go deep into the playoffs in a sport other than basketball. Read my lips, "Other than Basketball"...

IMO, it would be a mistake for those 6-8 freshmen you are referring to to be pulled up to varsity.. They should stay on the 9th grade team, let them all play together and get some experience.. unless they are going to seriously contribute its probably best that they stay together their sophomore year on JV as well... Too often a player is pulled up to varsity too soon.. regardless of how outstanding of an athlete you are, there is a huge jump to be made between 8th grade ball and Varsity ball.. The best thing for the HJ football program IMO would be to let them spend at least another year together on the freshmen team, maybe another on the JV. Let them get stronger, faster, more experience, and have them stick together. then i think HJ has a good shot at going deep in the playoffs..

I have to disagree, these boys need to get to the varsity level asap and learn the speed of the game. They have played together since they were 5. I honestly believe that they will contribute. Not taking anything away from the players that are coming back, but these kids are ready now. They went undefeated as 12 year olds, lost one game as 13 year olds and 2 as 14 year olds. The last 2 seasons were pure talent alone. Middle School football, from what I saw, only learns plays and thats all. No technique polishing or instruction. These boys need to get to the varsity level where the coaches are. It will do nothing but help them, and put HJ football back on the map.

Guest jettyman
I know one HJ varsity player that is more than willing to help tutor them to the speed of the game.  By the way, this person played some varsity ball as a freshman and will be the first to tell you it was no easy transition.  Although, I hope what you say comes to pass because at this point we need all the help we can get.  By the way, this varsity player was told he was being called out for a Blood Ally Challange by a certain 8th grader.  Got to love that level of confidence, thats what makes a good athlete. 

Yea, I heard about that challenge. I think its good. The kid calling out Big Joe will surely get his bell rung, but  if he dont quit or ask to go back to the JV wouldn't that be a good sign? I asked mine if he was scared of him and he said "no". Thats what you have with this group, even though Big Joe will bury them, they are not scared to call him out. No fear, or just plain crazy??? I dont know but that kind of attitude belongs on the football field. HJ does need all the help it can get and if these boys are not scared to step up, why not give them a shot?

Scooter, I played on a State Championship team back in the 80's. I can tell you from experience, going to the playoffs is one thing, but winning a State Championship is a whole other ball of wax. Not only do you have to play sound football and have acceptional coaching,  you also have to have a lot of luck and I think the planets have to actually line up a certain way. I think we played that entire year without loosing 1 starter to an injury or grades. That was I believe the first or second year of the "no pass no play rule". On top of that, our starters were composed of probably 8 or 9 juniors, 13 or 14 seniors, and 1 sophmore phenom. Its not an easy task but it can be done.

[quote name="bedelmon" post="996199" timestamp="1302617568"]
Scooter, I played on a State Championship team back in the 80's. I can tell you from experience, going to the playoffs is one thing, but winning a State Championship is a whole other ball of wax. Not only do you have to play sound football and have acceptional coaching,  you also have to have a lot of luck and I think the planets have to actually line up a certain way. I think we played that entire year without loosing 1 starter to an injury or grades. That was I believe the first or second year of the "no pass no play rule". On top of that, our starters were composed of probably 8 or 9 juniors, 13 or 14 seniors, and 1 sophmore phenom. Its not an easy task but it can be done.
[/quote]true +1

Big Joe did not play varsity ball as a freshmen. He got pulled up his sophomore year after playing a year on the freshmen team. Joe is one of these "big, talented kids" who already has a scholarship to play D-1 ball and even he played a year on freshmen ball. The jump from freshmen to varsity ball is pretty big, let alone trying to go from 8th grade straight to varsity. These would be 14 year old kids playing against 17/18 year olds that have been 2-3 year varsity players. I just think its too soon to pull them up. Sophomore year, fine, if they are needed, but let them play a year of freshmen ball first.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin