Idaho AD talks about WAC expansion

This message is clear to me.  The invites will go to Lamar and either Seattle or Cal St-B.  This is what the WAC needs to get to 8 football playing universities and one non-football team for each division.  This is the path to add western football universities to the west division at the next expansion time.  

There has been interest by ULL but their UNT and Ark St brethern seem to be trying to persuade them not to leave the SBC for the WAC.  ULL fans have stated on one of their fan sites that the WAC is a better basketball conference than the SBC.  WAC baseball is even with the SBC but note that Fresno won the CWS a few years back which did not ever happen in the SBC. ULL fans see football as a push between the WAC and SBC.

[quote name="Cat79" post="979956" timestamp="1299680578"]
This message is clear to me.  The invites will go to Lamar and either Seattle or Cal St-B.  This is what the WAC needs to get to 8 football playing universities and one non-football team for each division.  This is the path to add western football universities to the west division at the next expansion time.  

There has been interest by ULL but their UNT and Ark St brethern seem to be trying to persuade them not to leave the SBC for the WAC.  ULL fans have stated on one of their fan sites that the WAC is a better basketball conference than the SBC.  WAC baseball is even with the SBC but note that Fresno won the CWS a few years back which did not ever happen in the SBC. ULL fans see football as a push between the WAC and SBC.
[/quote]

I think ULL has better rivalries with LU and La Tech than UNT & Ark State.

[quote name="Cat79" post="979956" timestamp="1299680578"]

[/quote]

WAC basketball is only better than the Sunbelt because of Utah State, take them out, and they're really not that much different.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="980099" timestamp="1299692076"]
[quote author=Cat79 link=topic=81226.msg979956#msg979956 date=1299680578]

[/quote]

WAC basketball is only better than the Sunbelt because of Utah State, take them out, and they're really not that much different.

[/quote]

JJWooten,

Are you hearing anything out of Sam?  Another Bearkat poster stated that Sam is coming to the WAC also.

[quote name="Cat79" post="980204" timestamp="1299705522"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=81226.msg980099#msg980099 date=1299692076]
[quote author=Cat79 link=topic=81226.msg979956#msg979956 date=1299680578]

[/quote]

[/quote]

JJWooten,

Are you hearing anything out of Sam?  Another Bearkat poster stated that Sam is coming to the WAC also.
[/quote]

Nope, heard nothing. I doubt it's true, it's probably all talk. The AD hasn't announced anything & newspapers aren't saying anything. We're not in a position to move. We don't have the fan support, state funding has decreased year after year, and the travel budgets associated with leaving the SLC are too expensive compared to the relatively regional geographic area we're working with now.

If we were invited, I would be SERIOUSLY surprised. The U is growing steadily, but athletically, we're average overall, with a few teams usually having good seasons to balance out the bad teams. I think with sports such as basketball and baseball, we're attractive, but with the overall athletic package and attendance records (mainly football), we're not.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="980240" timestamp="1299709752"]Nope, heard nothing. I doubt it's true, it's probably all talk. The AD hasn't announced anything & newspapers aren't saying anything.[/quote]

JJ - glad you are keeping the message consistent. We're better off keeping what we all know behind the scenes. ;)

[quote name="UNLV" post="980275" timestamp="1299718917"]
Yeah right. If Sam got the invite, all the katfan yard birds will be celebrating to no end.
The only reason you oppose a Sam invite is because Sam is not moving up.
[/quote]

UNLV -

There's more that I can say, but I am not going to elaborate - no reason to get into it with you.

[quote name="UNLV" post="980275" timestamp="1299718917"]
Yeah right. If Sam got the invite, all the katfan yard birds will be celebrating to no end.
The only reason you oppose a Sam invite is because Sam is not moving up.
[/quote]

No, that's really not it. I've been opposed to the move up since TSU and UTSA started their whole move up talk. This isn't anything new. I've flirted with the idea of supporting it, but I can't stand behind the idea of moving.

I support a move to a FBS conference if we have the money and resources to be competitive in all the sports in which we compete.

I'll reframe for any other comments because I'm sure a lot of people will disagree and I honestly don't have the time for a debate.

[quote name="bigred360" post="980309" timestamp="1299722283"]
I support a move to a FBS conference if we have the money and resources to be competitive in all the sports in which we compete.

[b]I'll reframe for any other comments because I'm sure a lot of people will disagree and I honestly don't have the time for a debate. [/b]
[/quote]

That's why I've stopped chiming in on things. It's not worth the headache. I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and they're not going to change mine.

[quote name="bigred360" post="980309" timestamp="1299722283"]

I'll reframe for any other comments because I'm sure a lot of people will disagree and I honestly don't have the time for a debate.
[/quote]

I hope you guys are in the WAC.

Here is what the Texas State 2012 schedule will look like:

@Houston 9/1/2012
Rumored to be our home opener-Texas Tech or TCU 9/8/2012
Nevada in San Marcos 9/27/2012
UTSA
La Tech
San Jose State
UTAH St
Idaho
New Mexico State
@Navy  11/2012
@ New Mexico  11/2012

Still have 1 date to fill-Lamar could be the last spot

[quote name="Cat79" post="981214" timestamp="1299866680"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=81226.msg980309#msg980309 date=1299722283]

[/quote]

@Houston 9/2012
Rumored to be our home opener-Texas Tech  or Missouri 9/2012
Nevada in San Marcos 9/2012
UTSA
La Tech
San Jose State
UTAH St
Idaho
New Mexico State
@Navy  11/2012

Still have 2 dates to fill-Lamar could be one of them
[/quote]

I'd say that is a pretty strong schedule!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="981326" timestamp="1299877276"]
[quote author=Cat79 link=topic=81226.msg981214#msg981214 date=1299866680]

[/quote]

@Houston 9/2012
UTSA
La Tech
San Jose State
UTAH St
Idaho
New Mexico State
@Navy  11/2012

[/quote]

[/quote]
Texas Tech has been confirmed to open the Expanded Bobcat Stadium in 2012

[quote name="Cat79" post="983027" timestamp="1300214517"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=81226.msg981326#msg981326 date=1299877276]

[/quote]

@Houston 9/2012
UTSA
La Tech
San Jose State
UTAH St
Idaho
New Mexico State
@Navy  11/2012

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

swtsu might get more than their usual 4000 fans for that one

[quote name="Cat79" post="983027" timestamp="1300214517"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=81226.msg981326#msg981326 date=1299877276]

[/quote]

@Houston 9/2012
UTSA
La Tech
San Jose State
UTAH St
Idaho
New Mexico State
@Navy  11/2012

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]Yeah, katfans are fuming near riot angry AKA jeolous of this news. I only wish it was Lamar. Texas Tech at Lamar would would be unbelievable news and send katfans into myocardiac infarction. If Lamar don't jump to the WAC, Lamar 2012 opening game might be Montclair st or Mary Hardin-Baylor.

• 2 weeks later...
Card Fans:

We should hear something soon about Lamar.  I went back and read several prior newspaper articles on WAC expansion and Benson was the person who initiated the April 1st date for an expansion announcement.  I have to believe he will announce Lamar and Seattle will join the WAC.

[quote name="Cat79" post="987704" timestamp="1300982890"]
Card Fans:

We should hear something soon about Lamar.  I went back and read several prior newspaper articles on WAC expansion and Benson was the person who initiated the April 1st date for an expansion announcement.  I have to believe he will announce Lamar and Seattle will join the WAC.
[/quote]

And then later that night, they'll announce it's an April Fool's Day joke.  ;D ;D

[quote name="JJWooten" post="987779" timestamp="1300993311"]
[quote author=Cat79 link=topic=81226.msg987704#msg987704 date=1300982890]
Card Fans:

[/quote]

And then later that night, they'll announce it's an April Fool's Day joke.  ;D ;D
[/quote]

I'll give that one JJ!!! :D

[quote name="JJWooten" post="987779" timestamp="1300993311"]
Card Fans:

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was the Sam Houston Invite.  Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="Cat79" post="989592" timestamp="1301370755"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=81226.msg987779#msg987779 date=1300993311]
Card Fans:

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was the Sam Houston Invite.  Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I guess we'll see in 3 days.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder