New School Basketball Training vs Old School Training

One of the advatages with having experience is that you have something else to measure your goals and accomplishments. And maybe the disadvantage of having experience is accepting change. Anyway here is my peeve. I see a lot of young people who lack the fundamentals of the game. Kids doing cone drills!!! Nothing wrong with using cones in your drils but you can only get so many reps in cone drills. I am a firm believer in playing 3 on 3 basketball to get in your reps and training. Think about it! Look at all the different reps you get in playing 3 hours. Kids can't finish in the paint with contact no more. Why? Too many cone drills? Any thoughts?

My favorite drill to have my team run is 3 on 2 going one way and 2 on1 comming back. Helps kids handel the ball when running the floor, and to pass the ball to the open man on the fast break. Just think how many times this can come up in a game. And it can also help kids play Def. and how important it is to stop the ball.I can not tell you the time that I have seen a kid just run along side the ball then make a foul when the player go to shoot the layup. I make them run this for a least a hour every day. My second drill is to box out and get position when the ball is in the air. I hate for a kid to stand and watch the ball,with a open mouth, then try to get the rebound.

Guest tamulonghorn
my guess would be a good combination of both
use cone/breakdown drills to teach the parts of the sum
use live play utilize the parts worked on
however, live play is pointless if said fundamentals are not stressed during live play

3 on 3 half court is great training for basketball.  Nowhere to hide.  You have to play defense, you have to move on offense, no snow-birding, etc.  Pass and cut, pass and pick away, help defense, on the ball defense, ---pretty much everything you need.  

I believe in doing the ball-handling drills and everything, but kids really need to play pick-up ball more, and 3 on 3 is a good way to do it.

Having said all that, kids today for the most part are way too soft.  Could go on and on about it, but it's too much coaching and coddling, and not enough pick-up ball where you learn by doing.

Guest tamulonghorn
u still gotta know what work on when playing pick up ball
i have seen pick up ball/and 1 create many a bad habit
but agreed kids just dont play as much as they used to

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder