NO PASS = NO PLAY!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Big12Fan

Guest Big12Fan
Help me with "no pass no play".  Why are kids that do not make their grades allowed to practice?  Shouldn't they be attending study hall?  I was informed this afternoon that one local school lost 3 of their starting pitchers to failing grades, and instead of going home to study, they are being required to attend practice which some evening may not end until 9 or 10.  Coaches, I beleive "No PASS NO PLAY" was intended to motivate the student athelete - to penalize those who fail, and reward those who pass.  Just my opinion. What's yours?

[quote name="Big12Fan" post="963309" timestamp="1297223144"]
Help me with "no pass no play".  Why are kids that do not make their grades allowed to practice?  Shouldn't they be attending study hall?  I was informed this afternoon that one local school lost 3 of their starting pitchers to failing grades, and instead of going home to study, they are being required to attend practice which some evening may not end until 9 or 10.  Coaches, I beleive "No PASS NO PLAY" was intended to motivate the student athelete - to penalize those who fail, and reward those who pass.  Just my opinion. What's yours?
[/quote]

I would like to know who's practices end at 10.  I have never heard of a school practicing past 6 30 maybe 7.  I also think it is a pretty big incentive for kids when they can't play. They have to put in all the work and don't get rewarded for it. I really do not think the is a hs coach in this area that would tell his kids they can't go to tutoring if they needed it, but even if there was the kids could always get up early and go to the tutoring sessions before school.

Guest Ranger83
It's No Pass, No Play. NOT No Pass, No Practice. The objective is for that student-athlete to re-gain his/her elgibility. Once that occurs, they need to be ready to be an active participant with their team.  Now if being ineligible becomes a habit, that is when it becomes an issue.

Coaches are more than willing to provide players who are struggling in the classroom with opportunities to get tutoring before or after school.

[quote name="Big12Fan" post="963309" timestamp="1297223144"]
[/quote]

No Pass-No Play aside, this school is violating rules if they are practicing to 9-10. You can only practice 8 hours a week. That's about 1:30 to 1:45 a day right now.

[quote name="DesertStorm" post="963564" timestamp="1297272207"]
[quote author=Big12Fan link=topic=80033.msg963309#msg963309 date=1297223144]
Help me with "no pass no play".  Why are kids that do not make their grades allowed to practice?  Shouldn't they be attending study hall?  I was informed this afternoon that one local school lost 3 of their starting pitchers to failing grades, and instead of going home to study, they are being required to attend practice which some evening may not end until 9 or 10.  Coaches, I beleive "No PASS NO PLAY" was intended to motivate the student athelete - to penalize those who fail, and reward those who pass.  Just my opinion. What's yours?
[/quote]

No Pass-No Play aside, this school is violating rules if they are practicing to 9-10. You can only practice 8 hours a week. That's about 1:30 to 1:45 a day right now.
[/quote] you are right on the ruling.. only 8 hrs a week does not count for tryout and games are not included.
so right now it could be 1hr 40 min a day but when games roll around it could last longer....... as for the 9-10pm when they get home.. it could be that the coach is starting practice late... some schools do have mandatory tutorials... and have multiple teams... if a school gets out at 330 and has tutorials till 430.  fre/so practice at 500-700 JV/V 700-900... i could see them getting home late.. the question is what is your kid doing for the 2 hr off…
the rule just states 8HR a week not when they start..
As for the no pass/no play rule….. some kids may not understand one subject for a 6 weeks and fail..
They are punished for not playing in any games till 3 weeks has expired … that is enough punishment
It is not made to hurt the kid.. if a kid cannot practice… think about all the things he has missed.. has to learn and  relearn what they have be taught..
in most sports a kid could not recover from this… like they found out when no pass/no play was 6 weeks long……
as long as the kid is receiving tutorials and the extra education they need… what is the problem???

It also used to be that if you failed that you did not get to practice plus the fact that it was the full 6 weeks. What happen was that student athletes would lose hope and just give up because after 6 weeks of no practice, there was not much chance of playing due to being so far behind the others. For many kids sports is not just something to do, it is a way to stay out of trouble and a reason to get an education. I personally like the rules now. If your problem is with the late practices, maybe you should discuss that with your coach.

What about schools that have 9 week intervals. If they pass, they are eligible throughout the entire 9 weeks; if they fail, they have each three weeks inside the 9 weeks to be passing all classes. In the athletic sense, more schools would benefit from this style. IMO, those schools who have 6 weeks grading periods are at a possible disadvantage for the athletes that may be on the fence of passing and failing.

Either way, the students' first priority should be on passing all classes, and then playing their sport.

And the alotted time per week is very rarely overly abused. Will a coach extend practice a little pass regulated times, probably; but they aren't stupid enough to go hours a day over their limit. I don't think they are anyways... ;)

Guest tappedout
The problem with tutorial's at one school that I know of, you can only go to tutorial's on white day's because you have to be at school early for off-season workout's every other day. Coaches have told player's that they need to go after school or on white day's. That becomes a problem for the one's who have practice after school that may need to be in tutoring more than every other day. I have not encountered this problem but  I have heard of a few kid's who need's more tutoring and can't get it because of off-season rule's. Personally, education should come before a student having to be a few minute's late to off-season workout's.

Guest tappedout
I believe they need to be completely out of any after school activity until the grade's are brought up at progress report time. If they fall behind than maybe next time they will work harder to maintain passing grade's. They need to be studying instead of practicing.

[quote name="tappedout" post="963625" timestamp="1297277076"]
I believe they need to be completely out of any after school activity until the grade's are brought up at progress report time. If they fall behind than maybe next time they will work harder to maintain passing grade's. They need to be studying instead of practicing.
[/quote]

and make sure they are grounded to their room's when they get home, with no TV or other 'extras' until they finish their homework. How far would you want to extend this? Yes, the most important aspect is to maintain a passing average for all classes, but I would like to know what school has no tutorial time alotted, the coach doesn't allow the athlete to go to tutorials, and the name of the principals and teacher that aren't saying anything about it either

[quote name="formercaveman" post="963629" timestamp="1297277603"]
Not all "students" have great support at home. Some really need the influence of athletics and the people in it. Just remember the rules are made for everyone not just the students with great home lives and wonderfull parents that are there to support them.
[/quote]

exactly the point.... the student-athletes need to be a part of the programs and tutorials. Completely taking the student away from the program would only hurt the student.

Guest Big12Fan
If kids are serious about playing baseball and have ambitions of making it to the next level, they should learn to study now!  There are plenty of good ball players who will not get an opportunity due to grades.  I wish them the best, and hope a leason is learned to help them in the future.

[quote name="Big12Fan" post="963885" timestamp="1297309327"]
If kids are serious about playing baseball and have ambitions of making it to the next level, they should learn to study now!  There are plenty of good ball players who will not get an opportunity due to grades.  I wish them the best, and hope a leason is learned to help them in the future.
[/quote]no pass/no play is not just for baseball... its all extra activities.... and they are learning a lesson by sitting out for 3 weeks... most return from that motivation.... as for college.. most who struggle with grades do not make it to college...that is why it is a High school rule... to motivate kids who may not attend college to still learn...
and if they do make it to college and play a sport they have to study and get tutorials on their OWN time... not during practice...

My son makes A's and B's in all of his subjects except 1 -- Geometry.  He is struggling with that one subject.  Not because he is lazy and doesn't want to do the work; he is just having trouble grasping the subject.  The "No Pass No Play" rule is adding to his stress about "not getting it".  He has played baseball since he was 5 years old .. to say he LOVES baseball would be an understatement.  To read where some people on this board say that those who are failing are doing so because they are lazy and not wanting to learn makes my blood boil.  To take his "love" away because he is having trouble with the subject is not right.  To be honest, speaking as a mom, it is just plain STUPID and MEAN!  I think the whole picture needs to be looked at.  Is a child failing ALL classes?  Is the child not trying to learn?  If a child is TRYING and still can't "get it", he or she should still be able to play.  Trust me  .. it happens!  I graduated in the top percentage of my high school graduating class and I struggled big time with the same subject my son is having problem with.  I know for a fact that I tried to learn; it just never clicked.

Okay, I'm off my soap box.

I think we all understand your point, but it's a rule that's in place to safeguard students to being students first. Nothing against anyone who does well in all but one class and needs legitimate help, but the rule is there to ensure that their time is spent on what is most important, grades and education. Sports are an extracurricular activity, not the reason the child is in high school. I can sympathize for those who are denied competing in games because of this, but it's just how it is nd I doubt it ever changes

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder