Kountze and H-J?????

Guest jacobmccandles

Guest jacobmccandles
What are yor thoghts on why these two have such great basketball teams and NEVER do anything in football?  Their bb teams are always very athletic. Any clues????

[quote name="jacobmccandles" post="955265" timestamp="1296078489"]
Let me be the [s]first[/s] second to correct myself.  HJ has 5 playoff app. since 1983.  I sincerely apologize for saying NEVER.
[/quote]

5 playoff appearances in 28 years, a 17% clip. Not a never, but almost in the "rarely" department. ;D

Football still brings in the most revenue for both of these schools!!!!!  Some schools just have tons of talent and some schools have less talent.  IMO these two schools dont have the depth at talent that others do.  H still each of the last several years has at least been in the hunt for that 3rd playoff spot.  IMO HJ has done very well with what they have to work with!!!!

[quote name="Abraham" post="956236" timestamp="1296197679"]
I say they drop football and just play baseball and basketball.
[/quote]

Ridiculous comment.  So if something doesn't go as well as you hoped, just shut the whole thing down, huh?  Foreclose an opportunity for young men to earn a scholarship and further their education, huh?  H-J and Kountze may not fare well in football but it is not because Coaches Martel and Stewart and their guys aren't doing their dead level best.  To suggest such a move is a slap in their face...a slap that they do not deserve.

Guest Abraham
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="956308" timestamp="1296226604"]
[quote author=Abraham link=topic=79303.msg956236#msg956236 date=1296197679]
[/quote]

Ridiculous comment.  So if something doesn't go as well as you hoped, just shut the whole thing down, huh?  Foreclose an opportunity for young men to earn a scholarship and further their education, huh?  H-J and Kountze may not fare well in football but it is not because Coaches Martel and Stewart and their guys aren't doing their dead level best.  To suggest such a move is a slap in their face...a slap that they do not deserve.
[/quote]
Well hear is my thing neither school has been very sucessful in the sport, but basketball is def. their sport for both schools ... I mean correct me if I am wrong... but why not drop it and that way you would have more money towards other things such as jerseys and other things needed... think what you want but this is my honest opinion ... I mean I am Honest Abe  ;D

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Abraham" post="957557" timestamp="1296369555"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=79303.msg956308#msg956308 date=1296226604]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Well hear is my thing neither school has been very sucessful in the sport, but basketball is def. their sport for both schools ... I mean correct me if I am wrong... but why not drop it and that way you would have more money towards other things such as jerseys and other things needed... think what you want but this is my honest opinion ... I mean I am Honest Abe  ;D
[/quote]

Abe, don't go to the theater anytime soon. 8)

[quote name="Abraham" post="957557" timestamp="1296369555"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=79303.msg956308#msg956308 date=1296226604]
[/quote]

Ridiculous comment.  So if something doesn't go as well as you hoped, just shut the whole thing down, huh?  Foreclose an opportunity for young men to earn a scholarship and further their education, huh?  H-J and Kountze may not fare well in football but it is not because Coaches Martel and Stewart and their guys aren't doing their dead level best.  To suggest such a move is a slap in their face...a slap that they do not deserve.
[/quote]
Well hear is my thing neither school has been very sucessful in the sport, but basketball is def. their sport for both schools ... I mean correct me if I am wrong... but why not drop it and that way you would have more money towards other things such as jerseys and other things needed... think what you want but this is my honest opinion ... I mean I am Honest Abe  ;D
[/quote]

It appears that both Coach Joubert and Coach Sutherland are doing quite well with their current budgets.  Tell me this, Abe, I guess when the going is a little rough do you just quit?  I guess so.

Guest Abraham
I never said the coaches werent managing there budgets well all I am saying is they would have even more $$$$$ towards baseball and basketball I mean they could have top of the line jerseys and what not... And no I'm far from someone who wil just quit right there If I commit to something I'm in it for the long haul!! So don't be pointing the finger until you know for sure  ;D

Guest Abraham
[quote name="purpleeagle" post="957708" timestamp="1296424689"]
Why not do away with football, baseball, and basketball and get some real good looking voleyball uniforms.
[/quote]
Man what a great idea!!

Lumberton I believe did not have a single football playoff appearance until just recently, and then in the last 4-5 years has become fairly dominant in the sport.. Maybe they should have considered cutting football when the program wasn't going anywhere and focused mainly on Soccer, which always does well..

Some schools just don't always have the right athletes, coaches, support, etc. Whatever the reasoning is, sometimes things just don't always click for these teams. HJ football was very competitive with every team in the district two of the previous four years. I cannot speak for Kountze as i am not aware of the situation over there, but I would be willing to bet that the coaches and all the players are giving their all day in and day out to turn the program around and be just as successful as the basketball program.

Just because a team does not do as well as others does not mean you should cut the program.. If you can afford to keep the sport going, IMO you should.. Sports are one of the best things about high school.. It's obviously the reason that everyone has signed up on or views this website.. Sports give high school students and outlet; something to focus their attention on, and is probably the reason that some of these kids stay in and do well in school, graduate, and go on to college.. To cut a program just because it isn't getting the desired number of playoff appearances is a rash and unwarranted decision.. Especially if your only intention is to reapportion the funding to the program that is already successful so that they can buy new uniforms.

[quote name="jacobmccandles" post="955137" timestamp="1296066311"]
What are yor thoghts on why these two have such great basketball teams and NEVER do anything in football?  Their bb teams are always very athletic. Any clues????
[/quote]
Silsbee is good in both  ;)

back in the day, when we had to walk to school, up hill, in the snow, we did not have a youth football program in the Sour Lake area.  Don't know about Kountze.  I hear they now have a youth football program in place and kids are starting to play at a younger age.  In the past, we did not play team football until Jr.High.  In basketball, we have had a HUGE Little Dribblers program that has created the Basketball Empire we have in Sour Lake.
I would not be suprised to see the HJ Football team make a run at the playoffs in the next 5-8 years.  Maybe sooner, just don't know when youth football started.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    katty
    Newest Member
    katty