LU vs. Louisiana College Updates..LU Wins/Comments

Congratulations to Mike James on a great game.  He scored the points and deserves the recognition, but personally my opinion is I would have liked to see him get the points in the flow of the game which is how he got about the first 35 or so.  The last ten points were here Mike shoot again for the records.  I really do like how he plays and can't understand why he did not play down the stretch is some of the last set of losses.

I attended this game.  Mike James should start.  This kid was hitting 3's and dunking all over the oposition.  Most say that he should have been sat down when the game was in the bag.  But when you have a guy red hot like that, you ride him out.  It was a treat to say this is my first LU game in like 6 years. 

If you listened to the post game interview, Roc said his maturity level has improved.  It is only perception but Roc puts more importance on practice performance than on game performance as to who will start.  He also indicated that if things are going well he is not inclined to take a player out of the game.  So if Mike doesn't make Roc happy during practice and the starters don't perform poorly then it sounds like there is not a plan to rotate players to maintain intensity and give the starter proper rest.  So I don't expect to see 30 minutes of play time for him every game.

[quote name="geezer" post="943015" timestamp="1294271446"]
If you listened to the post game interview, Roc said his maturity level has improved.  It is only perception but Roc puts more importance on practice performance than on game performance as to who will start.  He also indicated that if things are going well he is not inclined to take a player out of the game.  So if Mike doesn't make Roc happy during practice and the starters don't perform poorly then it sounds like there is not a plan to rotate players to maintain intensity and give the starter proper rest.  So I don't expect to see 30 minutes of play time for him every game.
[/quote]
That's interesting because Dawkins and Sanders played 30 minutes a game the last time we had a good team! Imagine that, you start your best players and let them get into a rythm and they win. Novel concept.

I don't understand it either. He continues to start Miles and Harris who are both under 6-0 and they both aren't good shooters from the perimeter. Neither would start for most teams in the SLC but for some reason Roc keeps them in the starting line-up.

We aren't great in the post either and our defense isn't very good but you better have a few guys who can light it up from the outside. James, Adams and Davis can hit for a pretty good percentage from the 3 point line.

I have supported Roc since he was first hired and basically gave the position of Head Coach.

Now, he needs to finish first in the eastern division of the SLC or he needs to be history.

[quote name="bigred360" post="943311" timestamp="1294330696"]
I don't understand it either. He continues to start Miles and [b]Harris who are both under 6-0 and they both aren't good shooters from the perimeter[/b]. Neither would start for most teams in the SLC but for some reason Roc keeps them in the starting line-up.

We aren't great in the post either and our defense isn't very good but you better have a few guys who can light it up from the outside. James, [b]Adams [/b] and Davis can hit for a pretty good percentage from the 3 point line.
[/quote]

You do realize that Milk Harris is shooting over 45% from 3 point range and leading the team???

Also Adams is streaky from behind the line. He is shooting around 32%...I wouldn't call that "Lighting It Up"

James should get more PT and maybe even start over Miles, but Harris has prooven so far this year to be an improved perimiter threat. They key for me right now is narrowing down the bench so that the guys with the hot hand each night get the most PT. It drives me insane when Roc has a guy that is hot and he pulls him never to see the court again or until it's too late. A few weeks back Brazier scored at will down low against Canisius and he took him out early in the second half and didn't put him back in until the 2 minute mark when the game was already out of hand and the inside game was an afterthought.

[quote name="badndn" post="943360" timestamp="1294334769"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78253.msg943311#msg943311 date=1294330696]
I don't understand it either. He continues to start Miles and [b]Harris who are both under 6-0 and they both aren't good shooters from the perimeter[/b]. Neither would start for most teams in the SLC but for some reason Roc keeps them in the starting line-up.

We aren't great in the post either and our defense isn't very good but you better have a few guys who can light it up from the outside. James, [b]Adams [/b] and Davis can hit for a pretty good percentage from the 3 point line.
[/quote]

You do realize that Milk Harris is shooting over 45% from 3 point range and leading the team???

Also Adams is streaky from behind the line. He is shooting around 32%...I wouldn't call that "Lighting It Up"

James should get more PT and maybe even start over Miles, but Harris has prooven so far this year to be an improved perimiter threat. They key for me right now is narrowing down the bench so that the guys with the hot hand each night get the most PT. It drives me insane when Roc has a guy that is hot and he pulls him never to see the court again or until it's too late. A few weeks back Brazier scored at will down low against Canisius and he took him out early in the second half and didn't put him back in until the 2 minute mark when the game was already out of hand and the inside game was an afterthought.
[/quote]
You must like Harris as he has only attempted 37 trey's all seaon. Mike James is at .425% and he has attempted 40 3-pt shots in only 8 games. If Adams could get in a rhythm and stay in the game his percentage would be better than .32%. Agree with the rest of your post!

Honestly all I know about this years team is what I see on this sight.  I am puzzled by what I hear and read on the site and by the scores and losses.  I really thought that Tic Price was a good coach and would bring something to the floor coaching aspect of LU Basketball.  I just can't figure out why LU basketball continues to languish.

In my view Roc had a good x & o assistant coach and let him get away.  The one that came in with Lamar Sanders, Todd and Nabors and then left to go back to JUCO head coaching.  I don't think Roc's ego can have someone on the bench that we the fans know is a better game coach.

"I really thought that Tic Price was a good coach and would bring something to the floor coaching aspect of LU Basketball."

What aspect of his career would lead one to think that? Most really good coaches leave jobs and move on of their choosing...Mr. Price moves on because he gets fired. That said, I'm wishing the whole team good luck starting conference play. There's some serious raw talent on this team. Perhaps they'll gel at the right time...conference. If so, then Roc and his staff deserve some kudos. I hope that is the outcome. But as others have said, if not, then notwithstanding Roc's love for Lamar, we need to rethink the direction of the program after this season...at least that's my opinion.

[quote name="geezer" post="943537" timestamp="1294357527"]
In my view Roc had a good x & o assistant coach and let him get away.  The one that came in with Lamar Sanders, Todd and Nabors and then left to go back to JUCO head coaching.  I don't think Roc's ego can have someone on the bench that we the fans know is a better game coach.
[/quote]
Don "Bubba" Skelton!!!

That's who I will lobby for the job if Roc is out.

In eight seasons at Northwest Mississippi CC, Skelton posted a sparkling 198-56 (.779) record and guided the Rangers to the NJCAA National Tournament in Hutchinson, Kan., five of the last six seasons, including four consecutive trips. He has also led Northwest to five Region XXIII championships, five District 16 titles, two MACJC state crowns and five MACJC north division championships. (His overall head coaching record is 322-161, a winning percentage of .667.) Before JCJC.

In his first season at Jone County JC in 2008-09, Skelton piloted the Bobcats to a 24-5 record and their first MACJC state championship since the 1945-46 season. It was the fifth overall state championship for the Bobcats. Last year, the Bobcats compiled a 17-10 record and advanced to the semifinals of the Region 23 Tournament.

NW Miss was horrible before he took over. As was Jones County JC were he has been the past three seasons.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder