Longest Playoff Droughts?

Guest Wildcat 08

Cameron Yoe 38 playoff appearences including State Champs in 1981.  Made playoffs from 1980-1992 every year.

Close but not quite... Cameron didn't qualify for the playoffs in 1980 or 1988.

They have 34 appearances total

Most Playoff Appearances 1920-2006

(# of appearances/school/1st year to qualify)

1. 48 - Highland Park (1924)

2. 46 - Amarillo (1922)

3. 44 - Hondo (1921)

4. 42 - Plano (1934)

5. 39 - Wichita Falls (1923)

6. 38 - Refugio (1946)

7. 38 - Groveton (1930)

8. 38 - Breckenridge (1929)

9. 37 - Freer (1937)

10. 37 - Mart (1929)

11. 37 - Jasper (1924)

12. 36 - Temple (1921)

13. 35 - Brownwood (1953)

14. 35 - Bay City (1933)

15. 35 - Wink (1932)

16. 35 - Corsicana (1930)

17. 34 - Houston Yates (1969)

18. 34 - Cameron Yoe (1934)

19. 33 - Gregory-Portland (1957)

20. 33 - Pilot Point (1943)

21. 33 - Rogers (1942)

22. 33 - Barbers Hill (1940)

23. 33 - Albany (1930)

24. 32 - Newton (1951)

25. 32 - Alice (1938)

26. 32 - Littlefield (1936)

27. 32 - Longview (1924)

28. 32 - Childress (1921)

29. 31 - La Marque (1952)

28. 31 - Taylor (1930)

29. 31 - Ballinger (1929)

30. 31 - Brenham (1927)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and finally... here's the updated list of current longest playoff droughts...

Longest Current Playoff Droughts Statewide

(ranked by total years fielding a varsity team without qualifyling)

1.  87 years - Whitesboro (fielded 1st varsity team prior to beginning of UIL playoffs in 1920, Zero playoff appearances)

2. 87 years - Nevada Community (fielded 1st varsity team prior to beginning of UIL playoffs in 1920, Zero 11-man appearances but spent many years in 6-man football)

3.  60 years - Fort Worth North Side (last appearance in 1946)

4. 54 years - North Dallas  (last appearace in 1952)

5.  52 years - Diamond Hill-Jarvis (last appearance in 1954)

6. 50 years - Cleveland Tarkington (last appearance in 1956)

7. 45 years - Boys Ranch (fielded 1st eligible team in 1962, zero appearances)

8. 42 years - Palacios (last appearance in 1964)

9. 41 years - Lumberton (fielded 1st varsity team in 1966, zero appearances)

10(t). 40 years - Corpus Christi Tuloso-Midway (last appearance in 1966)

10(t). 40 years - Robstown (last appearance in 1966)

12. 38 years - Union Grove (last appearance in 1968)

13. 33 years - Kountze (last appearance in 1973)

14. 33 years - Houston Northbrook (fielded 1st varsity team in 1974, zero appearances)

15(t). 31 years - Amarillo Caprock (last appearance in 1975)

15(t). 31 years - Lubbock (last appearance in 1975)

Palacios' claim to fame is that they currently have a 5 game winning streak in playoff games as they won the 2A state title in 1964 and have never made the playoffs since.

Guest ECBucFan

ALL these droughts are about to come to an end. Really. Sooner or later, all schools will be in the playoffs. Even if they are 0-10, and lose by an average of 50 points/game. The UIL will see to it. Mark my words.

and finally... here's the updated list of current longest playoff droughts...

Longest Current Playoff Droughts Statewide

(ranked by total years fielding a varsity team without qualifyling)

1.  87 years - Whitesboro (fielded 1st varsity team prior to beginning of UIL playoffs in 1920, Zero playoff appearances)

2. 87 years - Nevada Community (fielded 1st varsity team prior to beginning of UIL playoffs in 1920, Zero 11-man appearances but spent many years in 6-man football)

3.  60 years - Fort Worth North Side (last appearance in 1946)

4. 54 years - North Dallas  (last appearace in 1952)

5.  52 years - Diamond Hill-Jarvis (last appearance in 1954)

6. 50 years - Cleveland Tarkington (last appearance in 1956)

7. 45 years - Boys Ranch (fielded 1st eligible team in 1962, zero appearances)

8. 42 years - Palacios (last appearance in 1964)

9. 41 years - Lumberton (fielded 1st varsity team in 1966, zero appearances)

10(t). 40 years - Corpus Christi Tuloso-Midway (last appearance in 1966)

10(t). 40 years - Robstown (last appearance in 1966)

12. 38 years - Union Grove (last appearance in 1968)

13. 33 years - Kountze (last appearance in 1973)

14. 33 years - Houston Northbrook (fielded 1st varsity team in 1974, zero appearances)

15(t). 31 years - Amarillo Caprock (last appearance in 1975)

15(t). 31 years - Lubbock (last appearance in 1975)

Palacios' claim to fame is that they currently have a 5 game winning streak in playoff games as they won the 2A state title in 1964 and have never made the playoffs since.

:o WOW

But WO-S has been a school about 40 years less than Nederland or PN-G.

Just curious.  WOS had predecessor schools, Orange Stark, and West Orange.  Just about every town in SE Texas used to have two schools which were combined due to integration.  But, we don't quit counting their school records.  You WOS guys tell me if I am right about this.  As I remember it, Orange Stark voted to disband, and were assigned to West Orange by the state.  Was it not a shotgun wedding of sorts in order for Stark to share in the chemical row tax revenues?  So, why does not at least the West Orange record roll forward?  ??? 

Maybe that record was not all that great.  ???    ;D

Just curious.  And just kidding.  :)

Just curious.  WOS had predecessor schools, Orange Stark, and West Orange.  Just about every town in SE Texas used to have two schools which were combined due to integration.  But, we don't quit counting their school records.  You WOS guys tell me if I am right about this.  As I remember it, Orange Stark voted to disband, and were assigned to West Orange by the state.  Was it not a shotgun wedding of sorts in order for Stark to share in the chemical row tax revenues?  So, why does not at least the West Orange record roll forward?   ??? 

Maybe that record was not all that great.   ???    ;D

Just curious.  And just kidding.   :)

The general rule for most record keepers that I've talked with on that is if the school name and/or the school mascot stayed the same then it's counted as a continuation of the same school (for example when South Park merged with West Brook in 1986, the West Brook Bruins remained the West Brook Bruins). Conroe McCullough and The Woodlands are considered the same entity because all that happened in 1996 was they built a brand new building and moved all the kids from the exact same geographic attendance zone to the new high school and McCullough became the junior high.  The athletics department was exactly the same and they remained the Highlanders.

In the case of LC-M and PN-G, only Little Cypress High and Port Neches High had varsity football programs so it wasn't actually two football programs merging, the mascots stayed the same, and the coaching staff was exactly the same,  even though the school's names became hyphenated. 

In the case of WO-S you had two separate UIL sanctioned varsity programs with two competely different traditions coming together to form a completely new tradition with a (not very original) new name and a new mascot. The West Orange Chiefs which had only been in existence since 1956 and the Stark Tigers which went back to 1909 in the UIL books.  If forced to choose one of the two West Orange had a much better track record than Stark did.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DickVitale

Lumberton better drop down to 3A in hopes of maybe tying for third place there... ;)...Could Lumberton beat Silsbee, WOS, or Kirbyville on a yearly basis?? Maybe they should drop to 2A then ;D..Seriously, I remember one year when they had a pretty decent QB and threw the ball all over the place and they scored a lot of points!  Heck, I think we beat them 47-44 that year when I was at Ozen...May have been 2000 or 2001 season.  They were not bad that year.  All I know is that we beat them like a tied up goat in basketball those years, and their fans would throw COINS at our kids during the games at their place!!  :o That was crazy!

Guest Holton Johnson

Has Vidor ever been to the playoffs?

Vidor won state when Edgar Payne(former assist. from PN-G) was head coach.

Guest JGLB55

I think The last time Kountze went was in 67, thats 40yrs, but they will definetly have a great chance this comming season

Vidor almost won state in 1964.  We tied the game and lost by penetrations I believe.   :'( :'( :'(  If someone remembers what the tiebreaking decision was let me know.

Vidor has never been to the final game. One year in the early 60's they went to the quarterfinals or the semifinals. They might have tied that game but lost on penetrations. The UIL does not award title games by penetrations. Before the recent tiebreakers went into effect, co-state championships were awarded. I think the most recent around her was Beaumont French High School in 1984 when they tied Odessa Permian.

Vidor has never been to the final game. One year in the early 60's they went to the quarterfinals or the semifinals. They might have tied that game but lost on penetrations. The UIL does not award title games by penetrations. Before the recent tiebreakers went into effect, co-state championships were awarded. I think the most recent around her was Beaumont French High School in 1984 when they tied Odessa Permian.

I stand corrected.  I remember that now.

• 1 month later...

Vidor almost won state in 1964.  We tied the game and lost by penetrations I believe.   :'( :'( :'(  If someone remembers what the tiebreaking decision was let me know.

21-21 tie against San Marcos.  San Marcos won on penetrations 5-4.  Click the link below to see a recap of the game.

This is the hidden content, please

vidor.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious.  WOS had predecessor schools, Orange Stark, and West Orange.  Just about every town in SE Texas used to have two schools which were combined due to integration.  But, we don't quit counting their school records.  You WOS guys tell me if I am right about this.  As I remember it, Orange Stark voted to disband, and were assigned to West Orange by the state.  Was it not a shotgun wedding of sorts in order for Stark to share in the chemical row tax revenues?  So, why does not at least the West Orange record roll forward?   

Maybe that record was not all that great.     

Just curious.  And just kidding. 

Very, very funny. Actually, WO-S is three schools - West Orange, Stark and Wallace High. Wallace actually won at least one state title under coach Willie Ray Smith, so I guess we have three now.

heh

You Jasper guys will try anything to level the field.

Just kidding.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124