Silsbee's Johnson tranfers to Lamar

[quote name="hipster" post="937525" timestamp="1293045252"]
How can some of you say some of the things you say and he has not played one down of college football.  He has missed a year of development, weights, and other things you need to get better, his legs look like sticks.  Now I hope he can play but I am not judging him on a weak 3a league, where he could just run away from trouble and pick up yards.  Lets see what he does before we put him in the starting role.
[/quote]

How do you know he didn't lift weights and do other things on his own to get better? At 6'2, 175 lbs he isn't thick but the pictures and video I've seen his legs are muscular. You don't run 4.4/4.5 on twigs.

Agree, lets see a open competition for the starting QB. If I'm betting, my money is on Jeremy Johnson.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hairdo aside

i hope whoever is qb does well, that being said... recruiting doesnt necessarily mean success...sometimes those in "the know" miss both ways...

[u]Jerrod Johnson[/u]-aTm,miami,ou,ut,usc....on the bench
[u]Joe Chaison[/u]-ark, baylor, indy,io st, mizzou,utep--ended up wr
[u]John David Weed[/u]-#11 qb outta hs, #6 outta juco---baylor,uh,kst,ull,ou,smu---now wr
[u]Andre Bevil[/u]-uh,osu,rice---lost job to walk-on

[u]Austin Davis[/u]--walk-on so miss---broke Brett Favre passing td record
[u]Matt McGloin[/u]--Penn st...walk-on
[u]Blair White[/u]-Colts -walk-on at MSU
[u]Daunte Culpepper[/u]-walk-on
[u]Kerwin Bell[/u]-SEC player of the year as a freshman walk-on

and yes, you can run 4.4/4,5 on twigs...

[quote name="puddin tane" post="937640" timestamp="1293071985"]
hairdo aside

i hope whoever is qb does well, that being said...all the recruiting doesnt necessarily mean success...

[u]Jerrod Johnson[/u]-aTm,miami,ou,ut,usc....on the bench
[u]Joe Chaison[/u]-ark, baylor, indy,io st, mizzou,utep--ended up wr
[u]John David Weed[/u]-#11 qb outta hs, #6 outta juco---baylor,uh,kst,ull,ou,smu---now wr
Andre Bevil-uh,osu,rice---lost job to walk-on

Austin Davis--walk-on so miss---broke Brett Favre passing td record
Kerwin Bell-SEC player of the year as a freshman walk-on

[/quote]
good analysis....
What kind of offense does Lamar run?

Sorry guys.  This guy is a DIFFERENT kind of athlete.  All he has to be is a half way decent passer and he will be the starting quarterback.  With his speed he immediately reduces the blitzes up the middle on 3rd and medium.  He makes the spread option viable.  Because he makes the spread option viable he immediately makes the running back and o-line better.  Sorry fellas this kid is a different talent than this team has seen.  Even better he is a hard worker who is a good student and comes from a good family.  Lamar is lucky to have this kid and time will prove me right.

• 3 weeks later...
jeremy johnson has been working hard during the offseason believe me. He makes good decisions as a quarterback and has blazing speed that can make plays under pressure. Prewwit just isnt as good and bevil already proved he wont be qb next year.
Oh and just for the record aggies we are not, Jerrod Johnson broke every A&M qb record before an offseason surgery ruined him so get your facts straight

• 1 month later...
[quote name="Bruce" post="936679" timestamp="1292881545"]
Attitude matters.
Talent matters.
Work ethic matters.

Nothing else does.  Got more tattoos than Dennis Rodman?  As long as you listen to the coaches and work hard, I could care less.  Got more piercings than a punk band?  Same deal.  Be on time, put in the effort, put the team first, and I'm good with it.

I don't care if our starting QB has a crew cut, dreadlocks, no hair, orange hair, or Troy Polamalu hair.  I care if he has the talent to win games, a "team first" attitude, and the willingness to work to improve.  If he doesn't, I don't want him.  

The idea that we are good enough to be making arbitrary decisions about what a player should "look like" before we "allow" him on our roster is either asinine, naive, or both.  To be successful at our level, we're always going to need to be taking chances on guys who are a little short on ability (size, for example), who have had issues in the past, or who are looking for playing time after transferring.  To reject a guy with exceptional talent and *four* years of potential eligibility because his hairstyle doesn't meet someone's standards doesn't even deserve serious debate on this board.  

Welcome to LU, JJ.  
[/quote]

Bruce, agree with you on the college level, but a the high school level there are all sorts of reason's you want to set higher standards for those that participate in extracurricular activities -- i.e. sports, band, cheerleading, etc.  Head coach ought to have discretion to set whatever rules of conduct.  At the high school level it's still about teaching the student to put the best interests of the group ahead of themselves.  As for JJ ... good luck ... attitude and effort count for alot.  Let's see if he's matured to the point where he can put notions that he's the "franchise" behind him.  It might be tough this close to home and close to family ... there's no doubt that he has the inherent athleticism.

[quote name="Red Sox Nation" post="971033" timestamp="1298491626"]
[quote author=Bruce link=topic=77760.msg936679#msg936679 date=1292881545]
Attitude matters.
Talent matters.
Work ethic matters.

Nothing else does.  Got more tattoos than Dennis Rodman?  As long as you listen to the coaches and work hard, I could care less.  Got more piercings than a punk band?  Same deal.  Be on time, put in the effort, put the team first, and I'm good with it.

I don't care if our starting QB has a crew cut, dreadlocks, no hair, orange hair, or Troy Polamalu hair.  I care if he has the talent to win games, a "team first" attitude, and the willingness to work to improve.  If he doesn't, I don't want him.  

The idea that we are good enough to be making arbitrary decisions about what a player should "look like" before we "allow" him on our roster is either asinine, naive, or both.  To be successful at our level, we're always going to need to be taking chances on guys who are a little short on ability (size, for example), who have had issues in the past, or who are looking for playing time after transferring.  To reject a guy with exceptional talent and *four* years of potential eligibility because his hairstyle doesn't meet someone's standards doesn't even deserve serious debate on this board.  

Welcome to LU, JJ.  
[/quote]

Bruce, agree with you on the college level, but a the high school level there are all sorts of reason's you want to set higher standards for those that participate in extracurricular activities -- i.e. sports, band, cheerleading, etc.  Head coach ought to have discretion to set whatever rules of conduct.  At the high school level it's still about teaching the student to put the best interests of the group ahead of themselves.  As for JJ ... good luck ... attitude and effort count for alot.  Let's see if he's matured to the point where he can put notions that he's the "franchise" behind him.  It might be tough this close to home and close to family ... there's no doubt that he has the inherent athleticism.

[/quote]Red Sox, Are you trying to start a rumor that JJ is selfish, because he has never put himself above the teams he has played on. And his attitude has never been an issue with coaches that have coached him. So, what are you referring to.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86