Jasper Hires Carthage DC...Garrett Morgan as Head Coach/AD

me2

[quote name="shooter" post="937824" timestamp="1293129958"]
The common thread amongst most of the candidates seems to be that most have former connections to the Jasper program.
[/quote]
am I missing something here?  what do you call connections?  Alvarez was at Jasper.  Were any of the others ever employed at Jasper?

Question.  Curious.  Alvarez was at Jasper during the Walkoviak years and clearly has gone on to solid success.  Are there others that also have done well elsewhere?  If so, I have not heard of it.  But there probably are some.  Just do not know who they are.....

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bigdog90" post="937256" timestamp="1292985220"]
i agree 100% j dog but what im hearing i want some one that wants to stay and i believe jack is another stepping stone think he wants to move up to the next level.chubrub kirbyville dont have nothing coming up our freshman team beat there jv pretty bad and i dont no what else they have but what i hear not much.thats why jack wants to leave.
[/quote]

You are in for a rude awakening if you think Kirbyville have "nothing coming up" next season. Were you the guy that said Kirbyville was down this year before the season even started?? Kirbyville will have more experienced players coming back than your dawgs my friend ;)

I for one do not believe the job should have been posted as AD/Head football coach combined.  Secondly, I think there are many good assistants out there who would gladly embraced the opportunity to coach at place with such a rich football tradition. I think ALL athletes are best served when this is  position of neutrality. One of my friends told me recently, and I quote , " things were always better when everyone coached football. " I ask him should everyone be required to coach basketball?

Guest jacobmccandles
[quote name="shooter" post="938140" timestamp="1293237273"]
" I ask him should everyone be required to coach basketball?
[/quote]
Heck NO!!!!!!!! Communist sport!!!  ;D ;)

[quote name="purpleeagle" post="940246" timestamp="1293812326"]
Wow,  wouldn't it be something if Alvaraz got the Jasper position and beat Kirbyville and won district  next year. Wonder what the K-ville people would think about that. (but I sure hope that don't happen).
[/quote]

Well I'd think the man is doing his job...He's hired to try to win... ;)

Guest dawg4life
[quote name="bigdog90" post="940453" timestamp="1293845611"]
well folks the little birdy called me today and said its jacks if he wants it.
[/quote] ;D first off bigdog90 whassup my friend!!! aint talked to ya in a while i had got your message u left that u and big ed were going to some games but i just sit back and soaked in the good ones from home!! and bout that birdie (which my birdie may not be your birdie) but my wife is a hairdresser and  one of her clients so happens to big birdie( as in the president of the school board) and bigdog90 your post of possible candidates barbay, carthage off cord., alvarez and so on is correct.  and yes sir my fellow DOG who i went to school with and sit with at each and every DOG game home or away(by the way when was the last time we missed a game? to long to remember) alvarez is in the lead at the moment.  and of course we all know what he brings to the table but i personally would be very pleased and actually wish more for Barbay! i cant help but feel that alot his method of running a program has got to come from the ways he father did things on his way to becoming a coaching legend throughout the state. 

well dawg4life happy new year to u and ur wife and i dont really care what candidate of those three gets the job but i just dont think jack and the off cord from carthage will stay with the program jacks wanting to go back home to arkadelphia arkansas where he can coach the junior college there but barbay would be the best candidate to stay with the program jmo

alvarez will not be a good fit for jasper that being said i think he is a great coach.  the off cord from carthage would be better because he comes from a school more similar to jasper. Kirbyville has one good program and that is football.  Jasper's most sucessful program is baseball and that in it self would drive alvarez crazy and remember the new hc will be the ad.  Carthage has been sucessful in both baseball and football.

[quote name="T-daddy" post="940785" timestamp="1293930540"]
alvarez will not be a good fit for jasper that being said i think he is a great coach.  the off cord from carthage would be better because he comes from a school more similar to jasper. Kirbyville has one good program and that is football.  Jasper's most sucessful program is baseball and that in it self would drive alvarez crazy and remember the new hc will be the ad.  Carthage has been sucessful in both baseball and football.
[/quote]Been sitting here reading and need to address some of these issues ... Several things I would like to address ...
First of all, IF you get Alvarez .... then congrats ... the big boys would have spent the money ... Kirbyville can't compete in this area ... couldn't even try ... we do the best with what we have got ... Great place to live, but does not have the resources to
Secondly, I love how Jasper folks think that just getting a great coach automatically means wins ... generally it does ...  but great coaching has always had, and always will have, the main component of discipline ... discipline takes time ... this was the reason Jasper lost last year ... could see the lack of discipline during the game ... you guys have more kids to choose from ... bigger school, more kids ... have always had better athletes ... Sure, Kirbyville has some athletes to meet your top three or four ... but the difference the last several years has been discipline ... this is where our other players, who may not be as talented, can outplay yours .... Alvarez has laid this foundation and the kids have been under this system for a while ... Remember that Jasper still won for a while after Coach Wolcoviak (probably misspelled this) ... this was because the players were in his system and knew what to do to prepare ... this takes time to teach ... so don't think you can just pencil in wins over Kirbyville, Center, Diboll, etc...
Third, If you knew anything about Kirbyville you would know that Kirbyville has tried to get great coaches for all sports .... Baseball coach won a state championship at Colmesniel ... Girl's basketball coach won a championship a Kountze, I believe .... Volleyball teams have always been good and coached well ... Tennis coaches are good and have won multiple district championships and have advanced to state ... Track coaches have won champiohships with other teams (newest track coach was at WOS last year and coached the state champ relay team) ... Heck, last year we even hired a basketball coach from Silsbee, but he left for bigger school and because of football we always have gotten of to a slow start at Basketball ...
So go ahead and walk around like the big strutting DOG ... will see down the road what happens ....
Lastly, If ya were to get Alvarez, (we shall see), then maybe the next in line, would look a little south and see a great school, with passion, great kids, and great, loyal fans ... may be cool to see a Barbay patrolling the sidelines at Kirbyville, or a true champion Bulldog there either ... If Alvarez stays, let the games begin

well spoken big wildcat but just hiring "good" coaches is just one spoke in the wheel..the hc/ad must be willing to let kids go after football and focus on baseball. thats hard to do for most football coaches. kville has a great baseball coach a great little league program and some very good baseball players, so why isnt kville sucessful in baseball imo its because football is everything including during the offseason during baseball and the players are unable to give baseball 100%. its sad that some of the kids in kville would have a brighter future in baseball but they were never allowed to develop those skills because it intervered with football..

have no doubts that barbay would love to have the jasper job and he has spoken to the powers at be.  just a stepping stone for alvarez and carthage oc - need to hire someone that wants to stick around and get jasper back on track - not just win and leave.  look for this to come from outside the loop - the folks in jasper know what they want and they understand that they need someone that will be there for the long haul.  it is funny how the same names always seem to come up - maybe they just are just thrown around to get their pots sweetened and have no desire to leave where they are. 

well folks jasper baseball raises its on money no money from the school number 1 and the basketball has never been good till terry young  came along.shooter the girls has good programs as well.track want never be the same we dont have coach spoon.soccer program is improving.playdefense well spoken i agree 100%. and for walkoviak i played for him he was the best district win coach around but when playoffs came around he was a total different coach. all i care is if we get discipline back who ever gets the job.and i dont agree one bit that a kid has to choose one sport.jmo

Well good luck to whomever gets it.  I think the Carthage OC would be a great fit.  What's great about Jasper is that they will hire who is good for the program, and to bring the winning tradition back. The supposed candidates mentioned can get this job with their own merit. Crazy concept, right?

Maybe Jasper can bring the winning tradition back to the entire area. Seems like towns nearby are complacent with not winning, and that isn't what it used to be. Pretty sad. At least Jasper people speak up and that's admirable.

chubrub great post and yes we at jasper want to get back on the winning path.i no we lacked discipline for a few years now i would rather lose with kids that dont have talent than with kids that get by with everything.i hope we get that back at jasper im tired of people making excuses that these kids have this and that when i was growing up it was called a belt or a paddle or both.i will back who ever as long as the kids have a little discipline.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    lufunom123
    Newest Member
    lufunom123