Jasper Hires Carthage DC...Garrett Morgan as Head Coach/AD

me2

I've been watching East Texas football for about 25 years now. I'm from EF. And I've been a EF and Marshall fan for the the past few decades. But the past 2 years or so I've found myself cheering for Carthage in December. I have a good friend, who used to be the AD/HC at EF is now on the Carthage staff. In November 2008 I went to SFA to watch a playoff game between the highly favored Gilmer Buckeyes and the Carthage Bulldogs. That night I became a huge supporter of Carthage football and head coach Scott Surratt. Since that night I have kept up with Carthage, and have been to 10+ games since. The thing that makes them so special is there COACHING STAFF. Yes they have great athletes, but most of us do in east Texas. I've seen the great John Tyler's, Longviews, Lufkins, Jaspers, Kilgores, Gilmer's, and now Carthage... These guys are not your normal high school coaches. THEY ARE SPECIAL. This is why I commented on this thread. I've been reading this for a few weeks. And I have to clear a few things up. The 3 names everyone is hearing are close to what I've heard. I've heard Alvarez, Carthage Coord. (which is the DC Coach Morgan) and another South east texas 2A Head coach i'm leaving blank because no one has mentioned him on here yet.

The two biggest issues I read on here from Jasper fans are the lack of defense and discipline in the program. Well it was the same way at Carthage before these guys showed up. They were average on defense and offense, and there was no discipline. People I have talked to at the Carthage games I've attended the past few years, say that they were more talented before these coaches got there. And that the reason they are so dominant now is because of the discipiline and relationships these coaches build with the kids.

I went to the Jasper vs Carthage game last year in Jasper. I believe the final was 27-3 Carthage or 24-3. Something like that. IMO, Jasper probably had more talent on the field that night.

Jasper's program is just the right coach away from not being "good" but being "Great" The talent is there. If it were me I wouldn't look any farther than the BACK 2 BACK 2 BACK state champs staff for your next coach.

P.S. To me both schools are similar. The baseball programs are big if not bigger than the football programs.

Does anyone know how many state championships Jasper has won in BASEBALL??

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="slo8140" post="941307" timestamp="1294029072"]
I know they won in 2007. Not sure of other wins, but they have been to the state tournament several times.
[/quote]
2007 is the only championship.  Won both games by huge margins.  I think they have been to the state tournament seven times.  Made it again last year.

all this talk about what jasper needs - defense, discipline, position changes,e tc.  what they need is consistency in the head coach position.  a number of the sub-varsity coaches have been there for quite some time, but there has been a revolving door at the top spot.  all the people whose names have been mentioned could do a good job, but a couple of them would be part of the revolving door issue.  bottom line we will all know in a few days - i would bet it is decided almost immediately after the closing date.

lets hope it is the right guy.

[quote name="playdefense" post="941414" timestamp="1294070537"]
all this talk about what jasper needs - defense, discipline, position changes,e tc.  what they need is consistency in the head coach position.  a number of the sub-varsity coaches have been there for quite some time, but there has been a revolving door at the top spot.  all the people whose names have been mentioned could do a good job, but a couple of them would be part of the revolving door issue.  bottom line we will all know in a few days - i would bet it is decided almost immediately after the closing date.

lets hope it is the right guy.
[/quote]
and hope that his system and approach meshes with the holdover coaches all the way from junior high through varsity and vice versa.  it may take a really strong personality to get everyone on the same page.  everyone must get on the same page to re-establish the program.  I agree with ctowndawgfan.  Jasper can be just one good coach away from greatness.  this time, for sure hope they make the right pick!

From the Enterprise

Jasper hopes to have a new football coach and athletic director by Jan. 14, said Superintendent Dr. Jon Whittemore.

The district is taking applications until Jan 7. Whittemore, high school principal Victor Williams, personnel director Chris Coleman and current athletic director Thomas Brooks will review the applicants together and recommend a candidate to the school board.

"We'd like to move quickly to be fair and give the new coach time to implement his system, terminology and evaluate the program," Whittemore said.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Jasper-may-have-new-football-coach-by-Jan-14-934814.php#ixzz1A2JAY6zk

[quote name="DP#1FAN" post="941968" timestamp="1294168327"]
Carthage DC  is the man for the job.
[/quote]

Absolutely. If Morgan wants the job, we need to hire him. 3 straight State Championships. He has followed Bickham before so he knows what he is getting into. And from everything I have heard he is a great motivator whose defenses have gotten better as the year went on. This is the guy we need to hire.

[quote name="jeffcoat" post="942015" timestamp="1294172117"]
[quote author=DP#1FAN link=topic=77679.msg941968#msg941968 date=1294168327]
[/quote]

Absolutely. If Morgan wants the job, we need to hire him. 3 straight State Championships. He has followed Bickham before so he knows what he is getting into. And from everything I have heard he is a great motivator whose defenses have gotten better as the year went on. This is the guy we need to hire.
[/quote]
ouch! :D

[/quote]

[/quote]
isn't the Carthage qb named Morgan?  same family?

sounds good to me.  one state championship could be a benefit of talented players.  three with changes in players means he probably is the real deal.

The guy is 29 years old.  I'm not sure if it matters to all, but it would matter to me.  What do yall think?  Not saying he isn't the best guy for the job, but i would find it hard to believe even if he has 3 state championships that he had all the knowledge it take to be succesful.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name="lloydchristmas" post="942234" timestamp="1294188980"]

The guy is 29 years old.  I'm not sure if it matters to all, but it would matter to me.  What do yall think?  Not saying he isn't the best guy for the job, but i would find it hard to believe even if he has 3 state championships that he had all the knowledge it take to be succesful.

[quote author=jeffcoat link=topic=77679.msg942015#msg942015 date=1294172117]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Walkoviak came to Jasper at age 28 and you know how that worked out.  The other guys may have longer track records, but Jasper has been chasing experience for the past several hires and we also know how that has worked out.

I say hire the best man, regardless of the length of resume.  Whoever that might be.

[quote name="ctowndawgfan" post="942335" timestamp="1294195280"]
I agree with you J Dog. When you've got it, you've got. Age doesn't matter. There is a reason they are hiring 31 year old Head Coaches in the NFL!
P.S. LloydChristmas, How many [color=red]"RINGS" [/color] does your dog in this hunt have? ;D
[/quote]
This is NOT aimed at anyone in particular.  I do not know the applicants.  But native intelligence does not change.  You can get more experience, and that will help.  But there is a certain snap that any leader needs.  It is like speed.  You cannot teach speed.  You either have it, or you don't.  And that is why you often have younger coaches beating those with much more experience.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder