Who's the one player that

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="NHS83LU87" post="958473" timestamp="1296568331"]
[quote author=txball247 link=topic=77516.msg958468#msg958468 date=1296567997]
[quote author=TURN2 link=topic=77516.msg958450#msg958450 date=1296563696]
Really surprised English is letting this kid see the baseball field.I know other programs will not let varsity basketball players practice until the season is over.
[/quote]It's my understaning that it's UIL regulations that prevent athletes from playing two sports at the same time, as well as participate in tryouts or sit on multiple rosters.  Baseball team could be putting themself in jeopardy if this kid is seen on the field/cage with them before being released from basketball.
[/quote]

I don't think you are correct or else there might not be a track team.  Players leave to go run track all of the time.  
[/quote]

UIL does regulate your participation.  Please refer to  "Limitations on Practice"

http://www.uiltexas.org/academics/resources/eligibility

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Yearof thePat!" post="958540" timestamp="1296572330"]
[quote author=NHS83LU87 link=topic=77516.msg958473#msg958473 date=1296568331]
Really surprised English is letting this kid see the baseball field.I know other programs will not let varsity basketball players practice until the season is over.
[/quote]It's my understaning that it's UIL regulations that prevent athletes from playing two sports at the same time, as well as participate in tryouts or sit on multiple rosters.  Baseball team could be putting themself in jeopardy if this kid is seen on the field/cage with them before being released from basketball.
[/quote]

I don't think you are correct or else there might not be a track team.  Players leave to go run track all of the time. 
[/quote]

UIL does regulate your participation.  Please refer to  "Limitations on Practice"

[/quote]

It limits practice as "per an activity."  Each sport/band/one-act play/etc. is a seperate activity. 

Limitations on Practice

"For any given extracurricular activity, a student may not participate in more than one activity per school week, excluding holidays. Students are limited to no more than eight (8) hours of practice and rehearsal outside the school day per school week per activity."

[quote name="NHS83LU87" post="958550" timestamp="1296573242"]
[quote author=Yearof thePat! link=topic=77516.msg958540#msg958540 date=1296572330]
[/quote]It's my understaning that it's UIL regulations that prevent athletes from playing two sports at the same time, as well as participate in tryouts or sit on multiple rosters.  Baseball team could be putting themself in jeopardy if this kid is seen on the field/cage with them before being released from basketball.
[/quote]

I don't think you are correct or else there might not be a track team.  Players leave to go run track all of the time.   
[/quote]

[/quote]

It limits practice as "per an activity."  Each sport/band/one-act play/etc. is a seperate activity. 

Limitations on Practice

"For any given extracurricular activity, a student may not participate in more than one activity per school week, excluding holidays. Students are limited to no more than eight (8) hours of practice and rehearsal outside the school day per school week per activity."

[/quote]"a student may not participate in more than one activity per school week"

Yikes...although, I'd be willing to bet that ALL the schools have athletes in more than one sport and nothing is being done about it!! Don't you all remember? Rules are meant to be broken?! At least that's what is obviously being taught our children!  >:(  :(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should rephrase this...if indeed this rules means what it states (?), than most schools would be in violation.  I DO have a hard time believing that this major rule would be completely disregarded by so many coaches. There's got to be some sort of loophole.

[quote name="txball247" post="958559" timestamp="1296573785"]
[quote author=NHS83LU87 link=topic=77516.msg958550#msg958550 date=1296573242]
[quote author=Yearof thePat! link=topic=77516.msg958540#msg958540 date=1296572330]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Limitations on Practice

[/quote]"a student may not participate in more than one activity per school week"
[/quote]

You are only taking out a part of the sentence.  You left off "for any given extracurricular activity".  Students particpate in multiple UIL events  all of the time.  This rule applies to all UIL activities not just sports.  Therefore, "any given activity" applies to each different UIL activity or else students would not be able to participate in baseball/track, baseball/soccer, basketball/ baseball, any sport/band, academic competitions, one-act play, choir,  etc.  

An "activity" is a game I think.  Students can only play in 1 game per week on a school night excluding a limited number of tournament and rainouts etc.  Most teams play Tuesday and Friday with Friday not being a school night. I know in the past coaches were able to move the Tuesday games up for weather, but not the Friday game because they had already played one that week.

I may be wrong on that, but that is how it was explained to me.

[quote name="BaseballWarrior" post="958579" timestamp="1296575105"]
Wouldn't this still be a violation if the athlete competed in baseball on tuesday, and ran track on tuesday wednesday or thursday? Or what about a UIL Academic event? What would be the ruling on that and where would the violation be implemented if it is a violation?
[/quote]

I'm not sure.  I don't know if that rule is correct.  How would small schools make it, when their students compete in every sport?

Guest Ranger83
The rule does not prevent you from competing in multiple sports. It prevents you from competiting in multiple sports at the same time. Most sports do not occur during the same season. I believe the intention is for you to finish one sport before starting another.
The focus is on the "student" aspect. In reality, they should be provided time to work on academics.

[quote name="Yearof thePat!" post="958590" timestamp="1296575926"]
The rule does not prevent you from competing in multiple sports. It prevents you from competiting in multiple sports at the same time. Most sports do not occur during the same season. I believe the intention is for you to finish one sport before starting another.
The focus is on the "student" aspect. In reality, they should be provided time to work on academics.
[/quote]

That's exactly what we are talking about. If an athlete competes in baseball and track at the same time, according to how this reads, would be a violation right? Track season officially started Monday, baseball started Friday. However, I'm thinking that something is off about this, because I know for certain that athletes run track and play baseball during the same season and those schools aren't ever reprimanded

You are focusing on only one part of the sentence and not reading the full context.  "[b]For any given extracurricular activity,[/b] a student may not participate in more than one activity per school week, excluding holidays."   Each uil activity/sport is it's on separate entity(activity) and for that entity you can only have one event(game/concert/etc.) on a school night during the week.  Each sport is a different UIL activity.  If a student chooses to do so, they could participate in a band concert on monday, a basketball game on tuesday, choir concert on wednesday, a baseball game on thursday, and be in compliance because the rule is [b]for any given extracurricular activity.[/b]   Mac is right friday and saturday do not count because they are non-school nights(no school the next day).  The rule is not specific to sports but to UIL events.  So multiple sports at the same time is allowed just like it is allowed for a student to be in jazz band, marching band, and concert band at the same time.    

Admin.,My son was your knuckle headed knuckleballer this past all-star season.Keep in mind Kirby Bellow hit under 200 avg. his fresh. season.I also know your son was a hoss with tremendous power.I know seeing is believing.Weisbrod will connect at some point this season and silence all the doubters and haters.Try to catch one of his B.P. sessions and you will see what I mean.I know because I was once a doubter! 

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="scapegoat" post="958770" timestamp="1296586199"]
Admin.,My son was your knuckle headed knuckleballer this past all-star season.Keep in mind Kirby Bellow hit under 200 avg. his fresh. season.I also know your son was a hoss with tremendous power.I know seeing is believing.Weisbrod will connect at some point this season and silence all the doubters and haters.Try to catch one of his B.P. sessions and you will see what I mean.I know because I was once a doubter!  
[/quote]

I think the objective here is to show up and play the game the right way. Know your role. Nederland has been pretty successful from what I remember. They have 3 year lettermen and D1 players that work their behinds off (in multiple sports too). They do not need to be [b]taught[/b], they need to be [b]observed[/b].

I am willing to bet that most (if not all) of the people on here will acknowledge talent. What most of us do not like is being told in advance how much we should be in "awe" of someones talent. If anyone, for one second thinks that any of us do not want talented players on our teams, you are sadly mistaken.

I will never shy away from competition. It makes the TEAM better. I do shy away from arrogance. It trends to do just the opposite.

My advice to you is to stop watching BP. Go and see what happens when the fans are long gone, when no one is in the stands. Go and see who's taking the extra infield, shagging some extra fly balls with his teammates. That's the kid I want to watch!

My opininion is about this kids power.I assure you there are few players that put in the work that he and his dad put in.I am just luckey that he takes my kid along sometimes.Although his dad can be a handfull,he is very savant like about mechanics of the game.Colton may not cut it at the varsity level now. But The Power is there now!

[quote name="Yearof thePat!" post="958803" timestamp="1296588153"]
[quote author=scapegoat link=topic=77516.msg958770#msg958770 date=1296586199]
[/quote]

I think the objective here is to show up and play the game the right way. Know your role. Nederland has been pretty successful from what I remember. They have 3 year lettermen and D1 players that work their behinds off (in multiple sports too). They do not need to be [b]taught[/b], they need to be [b]observed[/b].

I am willing to bet that most (if not all) of the people on here will acknowledge talent. What most of us do not like is being told in advance how much we should be in "awe" of someones talent. If anyone, for one second thinks that any of us do not want talented players on our teams, you are sadly mistaken.

I will never shy away from competition. It makes the TEAM better. I do shy away from arrogance. It trends to do just the opposite.

My advice to you is to stop watching BP. [color=red]Go and see what happens when the fans are long gone, when no one is in the stands.[/color] [color=red]Go and see who's taking the extra infield, shagging some extra fly balls with his teammates.[/color] That's the kid I want to watch!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more...THAT'S when you'll see the heart of a true player, is when no one else is looking! Wish more coaches watched at that time too!!  :( Obviously everyone wants talented players/teammates on a team. What's hard to stomach is the praise of anyone that has a bad attitude, disrespects coaches/teammates/bosses and has terrible work ethic. You see most of [i]that[/i] off of wherever you practice/play/work.

[quote name="trueblue75" post="958877" timestamp="1296591068"]
[quote author=Yearof thePat! link=topic=77516.msg958803#msg958803 date=1296588153]
[quote author=scapegoat link=topic=77516.msg958770#msg958770 date=1296586199]
[/quote]

My advice to you is to stop watching BP. [color=red]Go and see what happens when the fans are long gone, when no one is in the stands.[/color] [color=red]Go and see who's taking the extra infield, shagging some extra fly balls with his teammates.[/color] That's the kid I want to watch!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more...THAT'S when you'll see the heart of a true player, is when no one else is looking! Wish more coaches watched at that time too!!  :( Obviously everyone wants talented players/teammates on a team. What's hard to stomach is the praise of anyone that has a bad attitude, disrespects coaches/teammates/bosses and has terrible work ethic. You see most of [i]that[/i] off of wherever you practice/play/work.
[/quote]

well said trueblue75! very valid points made.

I have known colton all his life and don't be a hater because of his dad.He a great kid and i have seen those 400ft homeruns.For those who said he doesn't have the defense is full of it.he has gotten that good from alot of hard work.Ever since he was 5yrs old he been trying to keep up with his older brother and friends.I also have work with him for hrs on hrs.Give the kid a chance he just turn 15 last month.Nederland will be tough this year.They have alot of depth.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder