Basketball Question

hattie

[quote name="hattie" post="922942" timestamp="1291153038"]
Got a rules question:

Kid gets caught dunking in pregame-  Rule is Tech foul and coach gets the seat belt for game?  That is the rule given to me by a bmt official.  No exceptions.  Seat Belt.  That is the Rule!

IS THIS THE CORRECT RULING?
[/quote]

yep

Got a rules question:

Kid gets caught dunking in pregame-  Rule is Tech foul and coach gets the seat belt for game?  That is the rule given to me by a bmt official.  No exceptions.  Seat Belt.  That is the Rule!

[/quote]

whats the big deal about dunking, doesn't hurt anybody. refs blow whistle when they come in mind your manners after that. is this a case of a ref trying to be the dunk gestapo or just enforcing the "rule" after they've graced us with their presence? you know, they've really got other more important things to do like calling a clean and fair game. there's some good refs out there, but to be honest it looks like they're getting harder to find.

I have another rules question.  A player is at the free throw line.  Ref bounces the ball to the shooter and the coach of the team shooting freethrows tries to call time out.  Coach is not granted the time out.  Excuse for not getting the time out was that the shooter already had the ball.  Should the coach been given the time out since it was his team shooting free throws?

I am not sure about the ft throw question.  Probably a judgment call by most officials.  Some would claim that he did not have possesssion of the ball yet so he could have called a timeout but it was a deadball in the possession of the ft shooting team.  I would be more mad at the coach for calling timeout than the official.  He is taking the focus off the ft shooter and shooting himself in the foot.  He may have wanted to set a press but he should have called the TO before then.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="925412" timestamp="1291430075"]
To answer you question, yes it is a new rule according to the UIL.  Dumb rule but it is a rule.  The UIL is really watering down all sports.
[/quote]I wish they look into watering down the transfer rules before next Fall ;D

It seems to me they turn a blind eye to it in the bigger cities but small schools they will give you heck and are getting even worse.  I hear Dallas and Houston players can transfer quite easily without getting into trouble but in small towns they can control it more so they do.  I dont agree with the rule but it is a rule, you should be able to play where you want.  It is not fair to a player to work his tail off his entire life and get stuck with a coach who is football first and basketball second and dosent really care if they succeed in basketball or not.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="925659" timestamp="1291439620"]
It seems to me they turn a blind eye to it in the bigger cities but small schools they will give you heck and are getting even worse.  I hear Dallas and Houston players can transfer quite easily without getting into trouble but in small towns they can control it more so they do.  I dont agree with the rule but it is a rule, you should be able to play where you want.  It is not fair to a player to work his tail off his entire life and get stuck with a coach who is football first and basketball second and dosent really care if they succeed in basketball or not.
[/quote]Seems like they're beginning to report some players more often. JackYate's success may have spurred it a little more.

Got a rules question:

[/quote]

Coach gets a indirect tech foul. but no seat belt.

The rule on the dunk is the player is charged with a Tech and the coach is charged with the same tech. and he is seat belted. Most officials do not enforce the seat belt rule. And most Off. do blow the whistle when they enter the gym but they do not have to. Personal I think that is a punk call, it is not hurting anything and the boys are just getting warmed up. But some Officials wont to be part of the game.( Punks) No one came to see them blow their little whistle and ack like they have all this power. IMO a good official is one that has controll of the game but you never know he is there. Keeping the players undercontroll and the game flowing, but staying out of the game.

Another question: 

Player A  gets fouled - already in double bonue......after foul is called,  player A,,,throws ball at other teams player, resulting in a Tech and his 5th foul.    Who shoots the free throw for the initial foul,  player coming off bench to replace said player is who shot the foul.  The opposing teams coach, was very adamant that HE got to choose the FT shooter for the tech. The refs said no, the player coming in shoots it.  Because it was the 5th foul, he could not shoot his own FTs for the initial foul.    Is there a rule for this?    Thanks.

Got a rules question:

[/quote]
I've never heard this term but what is the "seat belt" for the coach? 

[quote name="bmrm" post="926706" timestamp="1291566424"]
[quote author=hattie link=topic=76856.msg922942#msg922942 date=1291153038]
Got a rules question:

[/quote]
I've never heard this term but what is the "seat belt" for the coach? 
[/quote] Seat belt, is when the coach gets his first tech, he can not stand up, unless he is calling a time out. If he does stand he gets his 2 tech, and is ejected from the game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder