HF: Credit Is Due

Forgive me I was trying to be subtle.  The players that are on varsity ARE there because they work hard and they have the right chemistry and coach believes that this is the team that gives him the best chance to be successful.  The fact is that the reason SOME OTHER PLAYERS WHO AREN'T ON THE VARSITY LEVEL need to learn some respect and discipline change up their attitude.  MAYBE then the would mesh with the rest of the team and others would MAYBE want to play with them!!! IMO

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="blacksheep" post="921879" timestamp="1291041149"]
Forgive me I was trying to be subtle.  The players that are on varsity ARE there because they work hard and they have the right chemistry and coach believes that this is the team that gives him the best chance to be successful.  The fact is that the reason SOME OTHER PLAYERS WHO AREN'T ON THE VARSITY LEVEL need to learn some respect and discipline change up their attitude.  MAYBE then the would mesh with the rest of the team and others would MAYBE want to play with them!!! IMO
[/quote]Never said the varsity didn't work hard, but I do agree they are hard workers. I never doubted their work ethics. Attitude? Are you referring to one person (da PG) who happens to be on the freshmen squad? Has he disrespected his coaches? His teammates? Discipline? The coaches need to inform me and I will straighten him out. Now if you are annoyed with his confidence, quickness (genetics), hustle, desire to win and how he plays the game with heart, well I'm not gonna change that. Get use to it. ;)

This coach has to have some job security or is being forced to play the guards he's playing on Varsity. H.F starting Pg isn't better then the J.V, Freshman, or 8th grade point guards.Thats sad when your starting Varsity guard can't even go to the Junior High and Earn a starting position. So i must ask, Why is he the starting guard for H.F Varsity??

Goodness, I'm tired of seeing this!!
Coach Richards has SOME reason for playing his kids at whatever level he chooses!
I remember Coach Joubert sitting Devin Bray on the freshman team for some period of time also. IF the kids are good enough to take the place of the varsity point guard, then they eventually will. In the mean time, you folks are coming across as just the type of parents that HF has been known for recently!! PATIENCE!!!!! The season is still young!!!!!!

[quote name="The Ingredient" post="921925" timestamp="1291045241"]
Goodness, I'm tired of seeing this!!
Coach Richards has SOME reason for playing his kids at whatever level he chooses!
[b]I remember Coach Joubert sitting Devin Bray on the freshman team for some period of time also.[/b] IF the kids are good enough to take the place of the varsity point guard, then they eventually will. In the mean time, you folks are coming across as just the type of parents that HF has been known for recently!! PATIENCE!!!!! The season is still young!!!!!!
[/quote]

Key word. Period of time. Devin was on the freshman team to start the season because his attitude problem was evident. He played roughly 5 games on the Freshman team. It wasn't a question as to IF he would play Varsity as a freshman. He gave us a chance to win games and helped win some (2007 State Championship game vs. Shallowater) as a FRESHMAN.

Again, what is the reason to have your best players playing on the JV and Freshman teams? What good is that doing for your program? The proof is in the pudding at H-F. Nothing is being accomplished and wins aren't being produced. What does chemistry have to do with it if you lose the majority of your games?

I'm not from H-F so I have no clue.

HF has played [b]3 games[/b]!! They are 2-1 losing to Vidor(who by the way is much improved this year) and they seemed to handle their business against the other two teams. I'm glad yall are excited to have some kids who can play over there, just be a little patient and see what happens! Support your team in a positive way and you will see your program take off!! HF and Coach Richards are long overdue some success!! Good luck!!

[quote name="The Ingredient" post="921946" timestamp="1291047370"]
HF has played [b]3 games[/b]!! They are 2-1 losing to Vidor(who by the way is much improved this year) and they seemed to handle their business against the other two teams. I'm glad yall are excited to have some kids who can play over there, just be a little patient and see what happens! Support your team in a positive way and you will see your program take off!! HF and Coach Richards are long overdue some success!! Good luck!!
[/quote]Were you there to see how quick Vidor's guards were? They were able to get the ball down the floor for some easy buckets. I have no problem if I see improvement among the current team. I'm only going on the history of the program and what I see on the court this year. If you know anything about team sports, watch what happens when you put your best players on a team. Pratices get very heated and intense. Everybody seems to pick up their game or get left behind. ;) Thats competition.

[quote name="The Ingredient" post="921946" timestamp="1291047370"]
[/quote]Totally agree!! Maybe he is slowly going to work in other players as the season progresses. Over at H-J they normally start working the younger kids in during tournaments to see how they handle the pressure and speed of varsity. Just be patient Blue, your son will be on varsity soon enough.

[quote name="Scalabrine" post="921914" timestamp="1291044227"]
This coach has to have some job security or is being forced to play the guards he's playing on Varsity. H.F starting Pg isn't better then the J.V, Freshman, or 8th grade point guards.Thats sad when your starting Varsity guard can't even go to the Junior High and Earn a starting position. So i must ask, Why is he the starting guard for H.F Varsity??
[/quote]I believe the reason he is starting guard for HF's Varsity is because he is well respected by his teammates, and it appears that the coaches have faith in him. He has been playing with his teammates for some time now, so there has got to be a team chemistry developed.  You won't have that kind of chemistry with a young new talent, no matter how good they are.

[quote name="hj15" post="921962" timestamp="1291048333"]
[quote author=The Ingredient link=topic=76588.msg921946#msg921946 date=1291047370]
[/quote]Totally agree!! Maybe he is slowly going to work in other players as the season progresses. Over at H-J they normally start working the younger kids in during tournaments to see how they handle the pressure and speed of varsity. Just be patient Blue, your son will be on varsity soon enough.
[/quote]Playing JV is fine with me ;)

What does team chemistry have to do with winning games? Seriously? A team that doesn't like each other for sure can't play together, and what HF has this year for the first time in a long time, is a team that actually enjoys playing with one another.

Has anyone stopped to think that the young talent doesn't mesh with the varsity and would only cause tension? No one is arguing that the "da freshman PG" is not talented enough to be on varsity. The real question is how would he fit in with the system? I've watched him play, and don't get me wrong, the kid is good. 95% of the time he will be the best athlete on the floor. However, I've also seen him get down on his teammates and all around just try to do too much forcing bad shots or making silly passes. His attitude is a problem for me. I don't like to see guys degrade their teammates because they aren't as good. Bluedove, I have nothing but respect for his determination and will to win, but I do have beef with the way he treats his teammates. If you want to teach him something, tell him to watch the way Joey Nguyen (the starting varsity PG) carries himself through practice and games, always encouraging others and never getting down on anyone but himself. If someone makes a mistake, Joey is the first one to pick them up. His talent isn't the reason he is the captain of this team, it's the fact that every player out there respects him and wants him on the court right next to them.

this is not from hf mom its from hf dad. if i'm correct the coach picked team captin not the players. respect is earned not given.to be polite in summer ball in which i set on the side line with said players all started the summer season,and all but one finished not sayings names just stating facts its not chemistry its just choices and that does not make it right. it works at hf because it is excepted and it is time for change.

[quote name="blacksheep" post="922105" timestamp="1291058571"]
What does team chemistry have to do with winning games? Seriously? A team that doesn't like each other for sure can't play together, and what HF has this year for the first time in a long time, is a team that actually enjoys playing with one another.

Has anyone stopped to think that the young talent doesn't mesh with the varsity and would only cause tension? No one is arguing that the "da freshman PG" is not talented enough to be on varsity. The real question is how would he fit in with the system? I've watched him play, and don't get me wrong, the kid is good. 95% of the time he will be the best athlete on the floor. However, I've also seen him get down on his teammates and all around just try to do too much forcing bad shots or making silly passes. His attitude is a problem for me. I don't like to see guys degrade their teammates because they aren't as good. Bluedove, I have nothing but respect for his determination and will to win, but I do have beef with the way he treats his teammates. If you want to teach him something, tell him to watch the way Joey Nguyen (the starting varsity PG) carries himself through practice and games, always encouraging others and never getting down on anyone but himself. If someone makes a mistake, Joey is the first one to pick them up. His talent isn't the reason he is the captain of this team, it's the fact that every player out there respects him and wants him on the court right next to them.
[/quote]You're right, I do stay on him about encouraging his teammates. He's working on that part of his game. As far as passing, if you're open he will pass the ball and get the assist. But I don't think he makes silly passes. Though he did a no-look in a game and I told him he was trying to be cute and the it wasn't necessary for a no-look. His passes are very hard at times but thats because he plays at a very high level against very quick and athletic kids in AAU. He knows not to "playdown" so the passes will still continue have a zing. But this thread isn't about promoting a kid . It's about finding the players who will come together in their own individual strengths and contribute to HF having a winning season. IMH-OPINION, based on what I have witnessed, HF is going to have to prepare their younger guys for a trip to regionals :o  

[quote name="hfmom08" post="922159" timestamp="1291060968"]
this is not from hf mom its from hf dad. if i'm correct the coach picked team captin not the players. respect is earned not given.to be polite in summer ball in which i set on the side line with said players all started the summer season,and all but one finished not sayings names just stating facts its not chemistry its just choices and that does not make it right. it works at hf because it is excepted and it is time for change.
[/quote]Let me guess. You had players to quit, didn't you?

[quote name="hfmom08" post="922159" timestamp="1291060968"]
[/quote]
well I'm afraid you would be wrong.  The players most definitely chose the captains and joey recieved eleven out of the twelve votes.  On that note, if it was the coach deciding, I have no doubt that he would still be captain because the coach knows that no one else is going to work harder or push the team like Joey.

95% of the time he will be the best athlete on the floor. However, I've also seen him get down on his teammates and all around just try to do too much forcing bad shots or making silly passes. His attitude is a problem for me. I don't like to see guys degrade their teammates because they aren't as good

95% - then by district he should be on JV, depending on how far team could go to playoffs, get moved up.  He is a freshman, he will have to learn the whole team captain, role model for a high school player, encourage instead of degrade, but that will come with playing time and maturity. Also, older players may think just because he is offering advice, or his knowledge of the game, that he is degrading them.  It does not mean he thinks he is better then you, his intention is purely to make the teams better.  But what Senior wants to listen to some freshman, right.  If he is already 95% of the time the best athlete on the floor, he might teach them something.  And if you are talented but no one takes you seriously because you are a freshman, you might have a attitude, doesnt make it right, but that can also be corrected.  Team chemistry does not happen over night. Trusting a player takes time. If they cannot catch the passes, they have to work together on that, softer, or just practice getting to know each others touches/likes/dislikes.  

Lil Blue Dove - keep working, keep you head up and be patient. Always do what you are capable of, give 112% all the time, no matter where you play, ot at what level. It is still up to the coach to play him at an upper level. Just be so dang good, he would be foolish not to play you.

[quote name="mfd814" post="922300" timestamp="1291067436"]
95% of the time he will be the best athlete on the floor. However, I've also seen him get down on his teammates and all around just try to do too much forcing bad shots or making silly passes. His attitude is a problem for me. I don't like to see guys degrade their teammates because they aren't as good

95% - then by district he should be on JV, depending on how far team could go to playoffs, get moved up.  He is a freshman, he will have to learn the whole team captain, role model for a high school player, encourage instead of degrade, but that will come with playing time and maturity. Also, older players may think just because he is offering advice, or his knowledge of the game, that he is degrading them.  It does not mean he thinks he is better then you, his intention is purely to make the teams better.  But what Senior wants to listen to some freshman, right.  If he is already 95% of the time the best athlete on the floor, he might teach them something.  And if you are talented but no one takes you seriously because you are a freshman, you might have a attitude, doesnt make it right, but that can also be corrected.  Team chemistry does not happen over night. Trusting a player takes time. If they cannot catch the passes, they have to work together on that, softer, or just practice getting to know each others touches/likes/dislikes.  

Lil Blue Dove - keep working, keep you head up and be patient. Always do what you are capable of, give 112% all the time, no matter where you play, ot at what level. It is still up to the coach to play him at an upper level. Just be so dang good, he would be foolish not to play you.
[/quote]Spoken like you're living the experience, and I know you are because Coach DJ taught him well ;)

[quote name="mfd814" post="922342" timestamp="1291070504"]
Coach DJ gave some advice last week.   As a freshman be seen not heard. Let them see you at your best all of the time. Do not talk noise, etc. Let your game do your talking for you.  Sophomore year its a coming out party.
[/quote]Good advice ;)

[quote name="blacksheep" post="922105" timestamp="1291058571"]

Has anyone stopped to think that the young talent doesn't mesh with the varsity and would only cause tension? No one is arguing that the "da freshman PG" is not talented enough to be on varsity. The real question is how would he fit in with the system? I've watched him play, and don't get me wrong, the kid is good. 95% of the time he will be the best athlete on the floor. However, I've also seen him get down on his teammates and all around just try to do too much forcing bad shots or making silly passes. His attitude is a problem for me. I don't like to see guys degrade their teammates because they aren't as good. Bluedove, I have nothing but respect for his determination and will to win, but I do have beef with the way he treats his teammates. If you want to teach him something, tell him to watch the way Joey Nguyen (the starting varsity PG) carries himself through practice and games, always encouraging others and never getting down on anyone but himself. If someone makes a mistake, Joey is the first one to pick them up. His talent isn't the reason he is the captain of this team, it's the fact that every player out there respects him and wants him on the couryout right next to them.u
[/quote]Anyone who knows this player knows he wears his heart and hunger to win on his sleeve. It's passion for the game. Got a text from a fellow parent saying the exact OPPOSITE thing...got praise for encouraging his fellow teammates last week. However his appearance to others is something he must be mindful of. Now, he is in no way a perfect, flawless player....I have never witnessed him play an error free game. He needs to work to improve just like the next person. I dont have blinders on . But if we are gonna critique the 9th graders game on skill....let me hear your assessment of the 12th graders last game. No one ,at least I am not saying that kids need to be thrown over the bus...thrown to the wolves but younger players need to be allowed to get their feet wet to see what works best. And the coach did do that last week and I gave him praise for that..thus the reason for this thread. And if my kid ever gets to play at a higher level here at HF if he is screwing up, hurting the team...I will expect the coach to make corrective changes. If he can't cut the mustard then he will have to suffer the consequences....that's life! If that becomes my sons fate...oh well he should work harder!

******Oh and as I recall last year's senior PG was benched to play J.N. (the current varsity pg) who was a junior and NOTHING was said about that. Nobody had a problem with that. So what's the real deal?******

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="922343" timestamp="1291070615"]
[quote author=mfd814 link=topic=76588.msg922342#msg922342 date=1291070504]
Coach DJ gave some advice last week.   As a freshman be seen not heard. Let them see you at your best all of the time. Do not talk noise, etc. Let your game do your talking for you.  Sophomore year its a coming out party.
[/quote]Good advice ;)
[/quote]Blue...lets just chill...and let everyone's game speak for itself. There is really nothing else to say. Now, lets go and watch some middle school ball tonight!

Anyone who knows this player knows he wears his heart and hunger to win on his sleeve. It's passion for the game. Got a text from a fellow parent saying the exact OPPOSITE thing...got praise for encouraging his fellow teammates last week. However his appearance to others is something he must be mindful of. Now, he is in no way a perfect, flawless player....I have never witnessed him play an error free game. He needs to work to improve just like the next person. I dont have blinders on . But if we are gonna critique the 9th graders game on skill....let me hear your assessment of the 12th graders last game. No one ,at least I am not saying that kids need to be thrown over the bus...thrown to the wolves but younger players need to be allowed to get their feet wet to see what works best. And the coach did do that last week and I gave him praise for that..thus the reason for this thread. And if my kid ever gets to play at a higher level here at HF if he is screwing up, hurting the team...I will expect the coach to make corrective changes. If he can't cut the mustard then he will have to suffer the consequences....that's life! If that becomes my sons fate...oh well he should work harder!
******Oh and as I recall last year's senior PG was benched to play J.N. (the current varsity pg) who was a junior and NOTHING was said about that. Nobody had a problem with that. So what's the real deal?******
[/quote]I have noticed that in the past the coaches have moved younger players up during tournament play to see if they have what it takes. I have no doubt that THE freshman PG will have the talent, but as blacksheep said, he may need to be more of a team player to gain the respect of the jv team. Be uplifting when mistakes are made, and the respect will come, although he isn't the captain, act like one. Blue Dove...remind him of this, he wil get respect.