HF: Credit Is Due

Let's get this straight, I think the boy should play on jv because he has the talent and IMO he's only forming bad habits and gaining an unrealistic picture of high school basketball on the freshman team. Before when I said silly passes I was referring to passes that will only work against freshmen teams and that would never make it in the upper levels.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philly...you may be right about acting like a captain and you'll get respect, but i've seen the kid play, and his brother. They are good.  He may be younger and on the freshman team, but this kid deserves respect.  He has the talent to be on JV for sure.  Varsity will come, but just because the kid is young, doesn't mean he doesn't deserve respect.  RESPECT HIM...but more importantly, RESPECT THE GAME...and EVERYONE who plays.

[quote name="blacksheep" post="922470" timestamp="1291082875"]
Again no one is denying the kids ability, but you have to give respect to earn it and from the way I've seen him treat some of his fellow teammates, I don't feel as if im ready to give him mine yet.   
[/quote]Let me guess...you are on the Varsity Squad at Hamshire-Fannett High School?? Am i right?  I am sure the freshman point guard has respect for the Varsity but not too much because he knows that he has to bust his butt everyday to even get a slight chance to maybe see the floor at 7 on friday nights and you have seniors on the Varsity squad that don't respect him and they have their spots because guess what????  OH YEA...SENIORS HAVE TO BE ON THE VARSITY TEAM!!!

[quote name="Ignorant Source" post="922482" timestamp="1291083497"]
[quote author=blacksheep link=topic=76588.msg922470#msg922470 date=1291082875]
Again no one is denying the kids ability, but you have to give respect to earn it and from the way I've seen him treat some of his fellow teammates, I don't feel as if im ready to give him mine yet.   
[/quote]Let me guess...you are on the Varsity Squad at Hamshire-Fannett High School?? Am i right?  I am sure the freshman point guard has respect for the Varsity but not too much because he knows that he has to bust his butt everyday to even get a slight chance to maybe see the floor at 7 on friday nights and you have seniors on the Varsity squad that don't respect him and they have their spots because guess what????  OH YEA...SENIORS HAVE TO BE ON THE VARSITY TEAM!!!
[/quote]Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! you ignorant source. If those seniors didn't have the talent...they would have been cut. I agree that the freshman must work harder at practice to get a shot at minutes on the V-Squad, but that is something that is inevitable. Its early, the coach has seen the freshman just this year, whereas he has seen Varsity players for a while now and knows they have a work ethic that isto be counted on.

[/quote]and you obviously aren't. This freshman that respects the varsity so much talks noise on the team all the time, but hey like father like son right? It's that I'm better than everyone swag he has that keeps him off the floor at 7 o clock

[/quote]

No where in UIL does it state that Seniors have to play varsity. It is usually something that coaches do out of respect for a kid that has been a member in good standing his entire athletic career. But I would assume if the well being of the team came into play and the number of uniforms was tight that a senior who was undeserving of a varsity spot would remain on JV his senior year.

[quote name="blacksheep" post="922491" timestamp="1291084499"]
[quote author=Ignorant Source link=topic=76588.msg922482#msg922482 date=1291083497]
[/quote]and you obviously aren't. This freshman that respects the varsity so much talks noise on the team all the time, but hey like father like son right? It's that I'm better than everyone swag he has that keeps him off the floor at 7 o clock
[/quote]Alright look blacksheep...you need to quit talkin bad about this kid's father. If the Kid hasn't earned your respect, then OH WELL. His dad hasn't done or said anything towards you or your game and has been around basketball a long time and deserves your respect.  He knows his son is good and he is proud of his accomplishments. Don't Go Hatin' on Pops.

Wow you're right he hasn't said anything bad about my team, my teammates, or my coach. Why would I ever defend them? Please forgive me ignorant source (which ironically enough is an incredibly clever name). That's what a team is, they have each others back and it really eats me up when people want to talk bad about the hardest working kid I've ever seen in my life. He passed out after giving blood at 10 this morning, and sure enough still hustled harder than anyone else on the floor this afternoon. I'll take that over a modern day stereotypical superstar any day of the week.

[quote name="blacksheep" post="922516" timestamp="1291086765"]
Wow you're right he hasn't said anything bad about my team, my teammates, or my coach. Why would I ever defend them? Please forgive me ignorant source (which ironically enough is an incredibly clever name). That's what a team is, they have each others back and it really eats me up when people want to talk bad about the hardest working kid I've ever seen in my life. He passed out after giving blood at 10 this morning, and sure enough still hustled harder than anyone else on the floor this afternoon. I'll take that over a modern day stereotypical superstar any day of the week.
[/quote]I see your side clearly blacksheep, but maybe you should tone it down a smidge.  Take it easy, I know where your coming from, and ignorant source is like you said "(an incredibly clever name).  But maybe we should tone this argument down just a bit.  Keep workin hard, and HF Varsity PG, keep up the good work.

[quote name="blacksheep" post="922516" timestamp="1291086765"]
[/quote]Team Fisrt, your right.  But i said Pops didn't say anything about you personally.  I understand that its your team and coach but chill out, i wasn't trying to start anything...just make a few comments.

I'm not "hatin on pops" but if he's gonna hate on my team I'm going to stand up for them bacause this team is a family and I would expect the same from them. Bluedove is incredibly knowledgable about the game and both his kids are great players, but respectfully he doesn't know what's going on inside the program. It's just like a DC politician talking about the war behind his big cherry wood desk. Until you've been in the locker room and on the floor with these boys, I don't believe you can truly understand what works best for us.

[quote name="blacksheep" post="922470" timestamp="1291082875"]
[/quote]well...I HATE to see that there are students on this site under the age of 18...should be allowed to have an account. But be sure that you are mindful that the freshman team also has its own chemistry and their own ways of communicating that others on the outside don't quite understand. Just as you say we do not understand the in workings of your team, what appears to be a problem to you may not be to others. Freshman PG is best friends with several of these guys. No one should ever discourage confidence and assertiveness. Players have to have passion for the game. Plus you have to understand the PG position....you are the coach on the floor....the general. You have to be assertive to be an effective PG. That's what being a good PG encompasses.  Hopefully blue will tone this rhetoric down until all kids have signed off to study or go to bed. Blue you are off limits to blacksheep and whoever else is on here that sounds like they are 17 and under.

What about Dove? He sometimes acts and sounds like he is under 17. ::) ;) ;D

This whole subject is pretty lame. Nothing but a personal platform to stand and politic from.

Coach Richardson knows what's best for his team. I am quite sure he has a game plan and it's not to just satisfy a few. ;)

(of course, you know what they say about the squeeky wheel ;))

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="922616" timestamp="1291124365"]

This whole subject is pretty lame. Nothing but a personal platform to stand and politic from.

Coach Richardson knows what's best for his team. I am quite sure he has a game plan and it's not to just satisfy a few. ;)

[/quote]
WOW

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="922569" timestamp="1291093041"]
[/quote]well...I HATE to see that there are students on this site under the age of 18...should be allowed to have an account. But be sure that you are mindful that the freshman team also has its own chemistry and their own ways of communicating that others on the outside don't quite understand. Just as you say we do not understand the in workings of your team, what appears to be a problem to you may not be to others. Freshman PG is best friends with several of these guys. No one should ever discourage confidence and assertiveness. Players have to have passion for the game. Plus you have to understand the PG position....you are the coach on the floor....the general. You have to be assertive to be an effective PG. That's what being a good PG encompasses.   Hopefully blue will tone this rhetoric down until all kids have signed off to study or go to bed. Blue you are off limits to blacksheep and whoever else is on here that sounds like they are 17 and under.

[/quote]So because I'm seventeen I'm not entitled to an opinion? You don't know me, but I assure you I'm fully capable of understanding all of your big fancy grown up words. This is a PUBLIC forum and whoever has a voice to be heard should be heard.  What makes your comments any more relevant or important than mine? People talk about seniors not respecting a freshman, but what about adults not respecting a "kid".

As for this whole freshman team chemistry, I totally agree. I believe I said something pretty similar to that a few pages ago.  ;D

I dont have a dog in this race, but blacksheep, you do have a right to have a opinion, But if your on this team you need to keep your thoughs in the locker room with your team, and leave the trash talking old farts along. Your the one on the floor playing the game, and I was told along time ago.... Show Me What You Can Do, Dont Tell Me....

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="922616" timestamp="1291124365"]

[/quote]You're lucky I'm going to use your address in Silsbee next season for athletic purposes or I would really tell you something :D

BlueDove - Have you discussed your concerns with the Varsity Basketball coach in private ?
I'm sure the coach is aware of your son's ability and potential. A little communication in private possibly would answer your concerns. Then if you need to "rent" that house from AAW, go for it. Hope your sons do well and continue to enjoy playing the game.