HF: Credit Is Due

I am a straight shooter and fair. The night of basketball at HF was very good tonight. I was very encouraged although, Tarkington did not strike me as a very strong program. The true test will be teams like HJ and Silsbee.  I have been very critical of the HF Varsity Coach for some legitimate issues in my opinion. But tonight, he made a step in the right direction. The JV Team was excellent tonight! The team is well rounded with someone to distribute the ball and a solid big man that finished tonight very well. The starting 5 were VERY impressive. Now, what Coach Richards needs to be commended for is allowing 2 of the stronger JV players to get their feet wet in some valuable minutes of the Varsity game! They were not perfect and made some errors understandably, but added a lot of credibility to the Varsity team. Trying something new with the PG position added a new dimension.  The big guy #41 played his heart out. So Coach, I am giving you props tonight. You stepped out on faith tonight....I can't help but be encouraged. Hopefully you will continue to get those stronger JV guys some much needed experience....its about planning for the near future. I saw some players tonight that left their heart on the court! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!  Oh, and good job Freshman team....you played your hearts out!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Sloe" post="917684" timestamp="1290564611"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76588.msg917617#msg917617 date=1290561357]
Coach, you added some tweaks today. Very good!
[/quote]I bet they still need alot more tweeks to compete in 21 3a
[/quote]A whole lot more. HF is going to have to bring in players from their other teams to play better. They are hurting @ point guard and need to role play or bench many of their vet players.

[quote name="Rizon" post="918024" timestamp="1290612439"]
Perhaps their Freshman PG should be up to either start or come off the bench. He seems very quick and knows how to play the position.
[/quote]See yall think yall know da Dove. You don't! The coach did something smart in the Tarkington game. He brought up another guard from the JV. It was a good move. Why is it so hard for some of you to understand what is missing on this team or what makes a team go? The point guard (pg) with experience knows how to break down a defense and create shots for his teammates. This creates other avenues to score. I'd use that kid Malveaux till his his arms wear out from being fouled and shooting foul shots. Right now, HF doesn't have a pg to create from the offense. What you have is a bunch of role players. A good pg will make role players look good. If Coach Richards is as smart as I think he is, I predict you will begin to see some changes to prepare for next season. yeah, yeah! I know the season just started.

[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="918030" timestamp="1290613357"]
It is early on.  Coach will certainly give the upperclassmen their chances to lead the show before pulling up talent from below. 
[/quote]When you see me at the game, why don't you and I discuss what you see versus what I see. Maybe I need to wear your glasses. Because I don't see it.

From what I've seen...I've only been able to catch a couple of 21-3A games so far this year. The Freshman PG for HF can go. I don't know his name or anything, I've just put pieces together on here to figure out it's Bluedove's son (I think). Only reason I went to watch HF play. I have to say sir...if that is your son...he's good and you and previous coaches have done a good job teaching him the game. I saw tons of height on that team when I watched them play. Guard play is going to make or break that team.

[quote name="Rizon" post="918144" timestamp="1290626056"]
From what I've seen...I've only been able to catch a couple of 21-3A games so far this year. The Freshman PG for HF can go. I don't know his name or anything, I've just put pieces together on here to figure out it's Bluedove's son (I think). Only reason I went to watch HF play. I have to say sir...if that is your son...he's good and you and previous coaches have done a good job teaching him the game. I saw tons of height on that team when I watched them play. Guard play is going to make or break that team.
[/quote]

so which team did lil dove play on last night?

[quote name="hitchpin" post="918149" timestamp="1290626626"]
[quote author=Rizon link=topic=76588.msg918144#msg918144 date=1290626056]
[/quote]

[/quote]We had a guard from the JV play some minutes for the varsity last night. Excellent move. He will be part of the future. Get him dirty now.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="918165" timestamp="1290627804"]
[quote author=hitchpin link=topic=76588.msg918149#msg918149 date=1290626626]
[quote author=Rizon link=topic=76588.msg918144#msg918144 date=1290626056]
[/quote]

[/quote]We had a guard from the JV play some minutes for the varsity last night. Excellent move. He will be part of the future. Get him dirty now.
[/quote]I agree.  Good move.  Preparing him for the "Dove declared championship" which is relatively imminent.

[quote name="UKCats" post="918505" timestamp="1290661457"]
HF has some players and played a great game. This matchup should have been closer, but what do you expect when one of the officials graduated from HF 2 years ago. (Verified by the HC) A little home cookin' ???
[/quote]he reffed the 9th and JV games ONLY! Those games were not even close. In the varsity game, you guys were in bonus situations and you still didn't take advantage of it.  ???

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="918521" timestamp="1290666143"]
[quote author=UKCats link=topic=76588.msg918505#msg918505 date=1290661457]
HF has some players and played a great game. This matchup should have been closer, but what do you expect when one of the officials graduated from HF 2 years ago. (Verified by the HC) A little home cookin' ???
[/quote]he reffed the 9th and JV games ONLY! Those games were not even close. In the varsity game, you guys were in bonus situations and you still didn't take advantage of it.  ???
[/quote]

i'll agree with that statement but the fact remains that the officials let the varsity game get way out of hand, and the result was 2 players ended up injured because of OVERLY physical play. alot of knit picky stuff called with huge fouls ignored, on both sides of the ball. it's not the kids fault, they will play as rough as they're let to, boys will be boys but that game should have been reeled in long before all that racket. the officiating didn't change the overall outcome in my view except that one player ended up with stitches and another with a shoulder injury (both no calls btw). that just shouldn't happen because officials won't blow the whistle when they need to. hf looked good enough without all that and tarkington should have just concentrated on fundamentals. good hustle on both sides, it just should have been cleaner. hope yall have a great year.

[quote name="hitchpin" post="918531" timestamp="1290671189"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76588.msg918521#msg918521 date=1290666143]
[quote author=UKCats link=topic=76588.msg918505#msg918505 date=1290661457]
[/quote]

i'll agree with that statement but the fact remains that the officials let the varsity game get way out of hand, and the result was 2 players ended up injured because of OVERLY physical play. alot of knit picky stuff called with huge fouls ignored, on both sides of the ball. it's not the kids fault, they will play as rough as they're let to, boys will be boys but that game should have been reeled in long before all that racket. the officiating didn't change the overall outcome in my view except that one player ended up with stitches and another with a shoulder injury (both no calls btw). that just shouldn't happen because officials won't blow the whistle when they need to. hf looked good enough without all that and tarkington should have just concentrated on fundamentals. good hustle on both sides, it just should have been cleaner. hope yall have a great year.

[/quote]I do agree with you. It was getting out of hand. I was sitting there comparing the game to a Keytone Cops movie. I give latitude to refs who let the kids play, but I saw pushing and shoving on both sides. Crazy and wild fouls that you see younger kids do.

[quote name="setxbbfan" post="918594" timestamp="1290695755"]
MGJ - just curious-what makes you an expert? (or at least more knowledgeable than the coach)  Are you sure your sone just didn't get to play?  Just curiuous.
[/quote]Reading is FUN-DUMB-MENTAL! I usually let MGJ ( :D) stick up for her sons but I think I will step in this time ;) The kid plays at least 92% of the game. Leads the team in scoring and assists.Gets his teammates involved. He understands the point guard position. He encourages his teammates. He plays against some of the top players in the nation on one of the top AAU teams in the nation.

To see him play against the caliber of competition I've seen so far is very disturbing to me. Because his daddy has taught them (he has siblings) to play against older and better players, who will better challenge them to get better. He's NOT learning anything or being challenged playing 9th grade here. He's doing things against other kids thats too easy for him. And no, I don't think my son is a star because he has a lot to learn and develop better skills.
And sir, being around sports all my life, I can tell you that being a coach does not mean you have the intricate knowledge of basketball and judging talent. Talent is like laying out the facts  its there for you to see for yourself. No boasting sir just the facts.

I can agree, but being around sports for many years has shown me that coach bashers usually bash because their son is not getting what they want.  When baby gets his, all the sudden the coach is making good decisions.  Just an observation.  Listen..people off the street call in radio shows and question the likes of Mack Brown..so go figure. I am sure the kid can play.  No commentary on him.  Just thought it was funny that the critic agreed with the coach when his/her son got to play.  And she may be right..just interesting.

[quote name="setxbbfan" post="918640" timestamp="1290700224"]
I can agree, but being around sports for many years has shown me that coach bashers usually bash because their son is not getting what they want.  When baby gets his, all the sudden the coach is making good decisions.  Just an observation.  Listen..people off the street call in radio shows and question the likes of Mack Brown..so go figure. I am sure the kid can play.  No commentary on him.  Just thought it was funny that the critic agreed with the coach when his/her son got to play.  And she may be right..just interesting.
[/quote][color=red]huh? She was giving the coach PROPS for letting one of his JV guards play varsity the other night[/color]. The coach is going to have to settle his pg position before the season is out. At least I see some movement towards that issue.