LU vs. S. Dakota Updates.....LU wins 24-20!!!

KFDM COOP

Man, there are a ton of post about this game and most make a lot of sense (not since) haha. A couple of guys really know how to push the buttoms of other people.

Here is my take on the game. Lamar played with a lot of heart during this game and never gave up once behind. If you noticed Lamar played better offensively when the wind was at their backs; like in the 4th quarter. Our third string QB played great as he was something like 24-29 passing. The WR's made some great plays. Raiders, I don't care about them (SD) losing their starting QB when we lost Kevin Smith to injury early in the season and Andre Bevil couldn't get the job done. So we are starting a freshman QB who is 5-11, 170 and he lead the team to a victory.

Now, there were a couple of plays that were questionable calls. One the first TD and the second the possible safety. Raiders, there are plays like that in every game. Heck, even at the pro level and FBS level they have people in the booth to review the plays and the calls made. It isn't like this game was the only one to have a couple.

Still not impressed with the special teams nor the running game of Lamar. It was funny to read some of the opinions of teams that didn't run much having won titles. So, I guess we are comparing LU with NE and Tom Brady, Miami and Dan Marino, the Colts and Peyton Manning? Even the SLC was funny because they had a few 1,000 yard rushers in their program. One went on and played baseball at Rice and the other was Tre Newton who is now at UT. I don't know if it is the OC, the OL or the RB's but Lamar will not be successful next season with that schedule and playing in the SLC and not having a running game or a rushing TD.

Defense played hard but gave up way too many yards to SD rushing the ball. I know they were a lot bigger than us as their OL average about 300 per man.

All said, I am happy we beat SD and hope to improve versus Oklahoma Panhandle State.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bigred360" post="909857" timestamp="1289850803"]
Agreed there is more to it that just what games LU wants televised. It is less expensive to do home games but then it effects attendance. I know for a fact Coach Woodard did not want the SFA game televised.

I heard the man say so myself.
[/quote]
Back in the 80's and early 90's I had a connection at Channel 6 who was involved with the televising of LU basketball games.  I know for a fact that LU did not dictate which games would be televised.  It was negotiated between the Lamar and the station.  Think about it, it is much cheaper for a local tv station to televise a game at Provost Umphrey than it is to televise a game out of town.  You do the math!

Lamar tells you what games to telecast?

More than likely the station says "we'll screw up attendance and televise some [b][u]home games[/u][/b]".."which ones can we screw up?"...and then Lamar tells you what games

want to televise something? spend a coin and go to bammy or ga st.

NO Home games should be televised in any LU sport...ever..sold out, not sold out..NONE 

come on nicktv, whats "the rest of the story"?

[quote name="bigred360" post="909759" timestamp="1289843129"]
Man, there are a ton of post about this game and most make a lot of sense (not since) haha. A couple of guys really know how to push the buttoms of other people.

Here is my take on the game. Lamar played with a lot of heart during this game and never gave up once behind. If you noticed Lamar played better offensively when the wind was at their backs; like in the 4th quarter. Our third string QB played great as he was something like 24-29 passing. The WR's made some great plays. Raiders, I don't care about them (SD) losing their starting QB when we lost Kevin Smith to injury early in the season and Andre Bevil couldn't get the job done. So we are starting a freshman QB who is 5-11, 170 and he lead the team to a victory.

Now, there were a couple of plays that were questionable calls. One the first TD and the second the possible safety. Raiders, there are plays like that in every game. Heck, even at the pro level and FBS level they have people in the booth to review the plays and the calls made. It isn't like this game was the only one to have a couple.

Still not impressed with the special teams nor the running game of Lamar. It was funny to read some of the opinions of teams that didn't run much having won titles. So, I guess we are comparing LU with NE and Tom Brady, Miami and Dan Marino, the Colts and Peyton Manning? Even the SLC was funny because they had a few 1,000 yard rushers in their program. One went on and played baseball at Rice and the other was Tre Newton who is now at UT. I don't know if it is the OC, the OL or the RB's but Lamar will not be successful next season with that schedule and playing in the SLC and not having a running game or a rushing TD.

Defense played hard but gave up way too many yards to SD rushing the ball. I know they were a lot bigger than us as their OL average about 300 per man.

All said, I am happy we beat SD and hope to improve versus Oklahoma Panhandle State.

[/quote]

Your iq is right up there with raider.  You think I mention those teams because I'm trying to compare anyone to Brady or Marino or whomever?  NO!!!  The comment was made that you cannot win championships without a running game.  That is just wrong.  If you'd like, I will go find some FCS schools that have won championships with qb's that weren't named Brady or Marino.  there have been a lot of schools win a lot of games with passing the ball as their focus.

You say that we played better with the wind at our backs.  The first drive where Prewitt was 7-8 was into the wind.  The big third down pass play towards the end of the third quarter was thrown INTO the wind.  Woodard admitted on the coaches show that they were intentionally conservative in the 3rd quarter because of the wind so you are partially right.  But, it was because of coaching.  Prewitt wasn't having any problems throwing into the wind the times he was allowed to do so.

If you watched the coaches show last night someone asked about not scoring any touchdowns running the ball and if Woodard was upset that we didn't score any rushing touchdowns when we got down close.  Basically he said that they tried but what he really wanted to make sure and do is to score a touchdown.  So, I took it as 'who cares as long as we score'?!

Oh, and you say the defense gave up too many yards rushing.  I agree with that but you should also remember that our sorry play calling caused them to be on the field way too much.  Also, we continually gave them great field position with our subpar special teams play AND about 80 of their yards were on 2 rushing plays late in the 4th quarter.  Given the situations they were continually put in I thought they played EXTREMELY well except for that one drive in the 4th quarter.

[quote name="bigred360" post="909759" timestamp="1289843129"]

[/quote]

HAHAHAHA...I just went and checked the SLC site.  The team (LU is NOT included) with the WORST rushing offense by far is...wait for it.....wait for it.....STEPHEN F. AUSTIN!!!  Suck on that!!!  hahahahaha

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="910375" timestamp="1289881049"]

HAHAHAHA...I just went and checked the SLC site.  The team (LU is NOT included) with the WORST rushing offense by far is...wait for it.....wait for it.....STEPHEN F. AUSTIN!!!  Suck on that!!!  hahahahaha
[/quote]

They've also had the best QB in the league for two straight seasons.

Moses>>>>>>>Prewitt>>Bevil

Being a first year program, Lamar is doing fine.  Obviously there are areas to improve in as with every team.  As fans we need to cut Coach Woodard some slack, he will be making improvements in the players as well as the coaching staff.  He's already shown his ability to adjust with his change in QB.

AggiesWeAreNot, don't compare me and Raiders. I've been a Cardinal Club member. My ex-wife was on the Board of Directors for a few years. As for as IQ, if you are having a AMI and come in where I work you better hope my IQ is pretty good.

Obviously, you and I have a difference of opinion about offensive football. I'm more of taking what the defense is giving. 8 men in the box throw the ball. 7 men in the box run the ball. Maybe you can say I'm more conservative.

As for a championships or league titles, for everyone you mention passing the ball. I have find one that runs the ball well.

You mention SFA in one of your post. They have a two time All-SLC and POY QB in Moses. They are a Top 5 team in FCS and I bet you they will not win a national championship because they can't run the ball when they will need to. Once in the playoffs the defenses have guys who can cover. Do I wish they would win? Heck yes, because our loss to them would not look so bad.

Now, back to the game with SD. I recall Prewitt and Ford making a great play on 3rd and 10 from our own endzone. Yes, he threw the ball about 20 yards on the play and I believe that was the last play of the 3rd quarter.

The rest of the 98 yard drive was with the wind at our backs. I don't think Prewitt could have made the 53 yard pass to Kendrick Prejean on 3rd down against the wind to keep the drive alive. Then Prewitt hits Ford for a 14 yard pass play to win the game.

Oh, I forgot to mention the drive SD took the lead was on about a 60 yard drive with 3 straight running plays with them scoring on a 37 yard run by Sims.

Then Prewitt lead the Cards to victory on the next drive. Amazing!

As for as the Coach Woodard show, what do you expect the man to say?

[quote name="bigred360" post="910675" timestamp="1289930328"]
AggiesWeAreNot, don't compare me and Raiders. I've been a Cardinal Club member. My ex-wife was on the Board of Directors for a few years. As for as IQ, if you are having a AMI and come in where I work you better hope my IQ is pretty good.

Obviously, you and I have a difference of opinion abouth offensive football. I'm more of taking what the defense is giving. 8 men in the box throw the ball. 7 men in the box run the ball. Maybe you can say I'm more conservative.

As for a championships or league titles, for everyone you mention passing the ball. I have find one that runs the ball well.

You mention SFA in one of your post. They have a two time All-SLC and POY QB in Moses. They are a Top 5 team in FCS and I bet you they will not win a national championship because they can't run the ball when they will need to. Once in the playoffs the defenses have guys who can cover. Do I wish they would win? Heck yes, because our loss to them would not look so bad.

Now, back to the game with SD. I recall Prewitt and Ford making a great play on 3rd and 10 from our own endzone. Yes, he threw the ball about 20 yards on the play and I believe that was the last play of the 3rd quarter.

The rest of the 98 yard drive was with the wind at our backs. I don't think Prewitt could have made the 53 yard pass to Kendrick Prejean on 3rd down against the wind to keep the drive alive. Then Prewitt hits Ford for a 14 yard pass play to win the game.

Oh, I forgot to mention the drive SD took the lead was on about a 60 yard drive with 3 straight running plays with them scoring on a 37 yard run by Sims.

[/quote]
UGGH!!!!  (sound of me banging my head against the wal!!!!!!)

Your arguments make no sense.  If I understand correctly, for my argument to be justified I am going to have to find a winning passing team that had a bad quarterback??!!!!!  The bottom line is, if your team has a better chance at success by passing the ball then they should pass it.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="911967" timestamp="1290058302"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=76054.msg910675#msg910675 date=1289930328]

Obviously, you and I have a difference of opinion abouth offensive football. I'm more of taking what the defense is giving. 8 men in the box throw the ball. 7 men in the box run the ball. Maybe you can say I'm more conservative.

[b]As for a championships or league titles, for everyone you mention passing the ball. I have find one that runs the ball well. [/b] You mention SFA in one of your post. They have a two time All-SLC and POY QB in Moses. They are a Top 5 team in FCS and I bet you they will not win a national championship because they can't run the ball when they will need to. Once in the playoffs the defenses have guys who can cover. Do I wish they would win? Heck yes, because our loss to them would not look so bad.

[/quote]
UGGH!!!!  (sound of me banging my head against the wal!!!!!!)

Your arguments make no sense.  If I understand correctly, for my argument to be justified I am going to have to find a winning passing team that had a bad quarterback??!!!!!  The bottom line is, if your team has a better chance at success by passing the ball then they should pass it.
[/quote]

Looks like you have a reading problem. I clearly stated for every championship team you can mention I can find one that runs the ball well. No where in the post did it say anything about a BAD QUARTERBACK.

Are now stating Prewitt is a bad QB? You're the one that isn't making sense.

Agree with the point that you do mostly what your offense does well be that passing or running but your offense should be able to do a little of both to have a balanced attack.  ::) ::)

[quote name="bigred360" post="912005" timestamp="1290081804"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=76054.msg911967#msg911967 date=1290058302]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=76054.msg910675#msg910675 date=1289930328]

[b]As for a championships or league titles, for everyone you mention passing the ball. I have find one that runs the ball well. [/b] You mention SFA in one of your post. They have a two time All-SLC and POY QB in Moses. They are a Top 5 team in FCS and I bet you they will not win a national championship because they can't run the ball when they will need to. Once in the playoffs the defenses have guys who can cover. Do I wish they would win? Heck yes, because our loss to them would not look so bad.

[/quote]
UGGH!!!!  (sound of me banging my head against the wal!!!!!!)

Your arguments make no sense.  If I understand correctly, for my argument to be justified I am going to have to find a winning passing team that had a bad quarterback??!!!!!  The bottom line is, if your team has a better chance at success by passing the ball then they should pass it.
[/quote]

Looks like you have a reading problem. I clearly stated for every championship team you can mention I can find one that runs the ball well. No where in the post did it say anything about a BAD QUARTERBACK.

Are now stating Prewitt is a bad QB? You're the one that isn't making sense.

Agree with the point that you do mostly what your offense does well be that passing or running.  ::) ::)
[/quote]

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  UGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!  Every time I mention a successful passing team you say some smart a comment like "well they had Tom Brady or Dan Marino" or "well, he was all conference for 2 years".  No chit Sherlock...if you are going to pass you better have a decent quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Your argument seems to be "well, yes they won by passing; that's because they had a really good quarterback."?  Forget it.  I give up.  YOu are right.  Passing teams are losers.  Run the ball eery down like SDSU.  Talking to you is like talking to my 5 year old.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="913054" timestamp="1290191946"]

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   UGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!  Every time I mention a successful passing team you say some smart a comment like "well they had Tom Brady or Dan Marino" or "well, he was all conference for 2 years".  No chit Sherlock...if you are going to pass you better have a decent quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Your argument seems to be "well, yes they won by passing; that's because they had a really good quarterback."?  Forget it.  I give up.  YOu are right.  Passing teams are losers.  Run the ball eery down like SDSU.  [b]Talking to you is like talking to my 5 year old.[/b]
[/quote]

If you talk to your 5 year old son like you talk on this board then I feel damn sorry for that kid.

[quote name="bigred360" post="910675" timestamp="1289930328"]

Obviously, you and I have a difference of opinion about offensive football. I'm more of taking what the defense is giving. 8 men in the box throw the ball. 7 men in the box run the ball. Maybe you can say I'm more conservative.

[/quote]i love it that ya'll can't keep from talking about me!! lol keep it up i love being a celeb!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder