Best Silsbee QB of them All

BADSANTA

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="883503" timestamp="1287768293"]
I vote Brian Doss
[/quote]

Not even close. Jeremy Johnson holds every QB record both season and career at Silsbee. He is the ONLY Silsbee QB to be as highly recruited as he was this past season. Rated top 10 dual threat QB in nation, not just state. Was ranked the 3rd best QB overall coming out of the state of Texas last year. Doss didn't come close to being recruited like JJ was.

I can think of 5 other Silsbee QB's that were better than Doss.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="883511" timestamp="1287768726"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=74840.msg883503#msg883503 date=1287768293]
I vote Brian Doss
[/quote]

Not even close. Jeremy Johnson holds every QB record both season and career at Silsbee. He is the ONLY Silsbee QB to be as highly recruited as he was this past season. Rated top 10 dual threat QB in nation, not just state. Was ranked the 3rd best QB overall coming out of the state of Texas last year. Doss didn't come close to being recruited like JJ was.

I can think of 5 other Silsbee QB's that were better than Doss.

Also, why is this topic in the college football forum?
[/quote]quincy was a good one also

AAW please consider the style of offense that was ran! Highest recruit doesn't mean the best. Doss and Mathews were recruited by D1 schools. Brian had offerd from Oklahoma st and Randy TCU. Jeremy wasn't a top 10 QB in the country. He was darn good but I think Doss was just as good. What about wins and loses? Sedrick Spearman had a better win loss that JJ.

I know that Doss and Mathews were recruited. Where did they sign? ;)

I would rank Mathews better than Doss.

In fact, I would put these 5 ahead of Doss:

Bobby McGallion
Randy Mathews
Philip Lindsey
Sedrick Spearman
Jasper Lewis

I could see Doss listed among these players, but not the best to ever play for Silsbee.

As for JJ being rated top 10 nationally, that's what Scout and Rivals had him listed, just going by those recruiting services.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="883553" timestamp="1287771031"]
AAW please consider the style of offense that was ran! Highest recruit doesn't mean the best. Doss and Mathews were recruited by D1 schools. Brian had offerd from Oklahoma st and Randy TCU. [b]Jeremy wasn't a top 10 QB in the country[/b]. He was darn good but I think Doss was just as good. What about wins and loses? Sedrick Spearman had a better win loss that JJ.
[/quote]

Yes he was. This is not coming from some good ole Silsbee boy. These rankings come from scouts. Now what he does and how he does in college is up to him, but last year JJ was what the scouts ranked him.

Doss and Mathews are nice choices. Phillip was a three year starter and a duel threat also. He could do it all run or throw. His Soph. year he let his arm do the talking. His Jr. year Silsbee ran the ball 95% of the time, took the ball out of his hands, so to speak. His Sr. year he had a new coach and a new offense. It took several games for the team to get the new offense down and when they did Silsbee took off. Phillip was as smart a QB to ever play at Silsbee. He knew how to take care of the ball running and throwing and he had the talent to go with it.

Mathews always comes to my mind when I think of the best Silsbee QBs, maybe not as talented as JJ but had more desire and a bigger will to win (IMO). I don't remember that '98 team being particularly more talented than other Silsbee teams but they had moxy and the play calling was great during their playoff run.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="883675" timestamp="1287776648"]
William Harper was a tough cat as well
[/quote]

Harper was great, should've had at least one more year as starter for the Tigers. That team was the most talented team since the '93 Spearman, McGuire, and Rhone team. 04 team had 5a size on the ol. Defense couldn't stop the run though.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="883628" timestamp="1287774523"]
I still vote Doss!
[/quote]

He was good... I still have a poster sized photo somewhere of me planting my facemask in his chest and taking him for about a 5 yd. ride through the air after he had just released the FB.  (Ah, the old glory days)

I've been watching the Tigers pretty close for the past 20 years. I would have to rate Lindsey as the best quarterback all things considered.... leadership, passing and running. Bryan Doss was the toughest. I remember him getting hit at Jasper. JJ is an excellent physical being but to me he never mastered the role of leadership to go with his physical skills. I never saw Bobby McGallion or Matthews play but they must have been real good and it would not surprise me if they were the best.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder