Montgomery 6-0 (3-0) @ #2 Brenham 6-0 (3-0)...Predictions

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=purple]Montgomery 21[/color] [color=green]Brenham 17[/color]
[color=purple]Montgomery scores first,[/color] [color=green]but Brenham answers on the following drive.[/color] 7-7 at end of 1Q.
Defenses hold in 2Q until [color=green]Brenham kicks FG to end Half. 10-7 at half.[/color]
[color=purple]Montgomery scores TD in 3Q. 14-10 at end of 3Q.[/color]
[color=purple]Montgomery scores early in 4Q,[/color] [color=green]but Brenham begins to mount comeback by scoring TD with 1:00 left, [/color] [color=purple]Montgomery recovers onside kick and runs out clock.[/color]
Don't be surprised if Montgomery wins Region 3 in D1 and Brenham wins Region 3 in D2.

[quote name="texasaggie" post="871224" timestamp="1286722597"]
[color=purple]Montgomery 21[/color] [color=green]Brenham 17[/color]
[color=purple]Montgomery scores first,[/color] [color=green]but Brenham answers on the following drive.[/color] 7-7 at end of 1Q.
Defenses hold in 2Q until [color=green]Brenham kicks FG to end Half. 10-7 at half.[/color]
[color=purple]Montgomery scores TD in 3Q. 14-10 at end of 3Q.[/color]
[color=purple]Montgomery scores early in 4Q,[/color] [color=green]but Brenham begins to mount comeback by scoring TD with 1:00 left, [/color] [color=purple]Montgomery recovers onside kick and runs out clock.[/color]
Don't be surprised if Montgomery wins Region 3 in D1 and Brenham wins Region 3 in D2.
[/quote]

I agree with the last part, but I don't think Brenham loses this one.  Brenham hasnt lost to Montgomery in over a decade, if I remember correctly.  No doubt, this is their best chance, but there's also alot going against them.  It's in Brenham again this year, and Montgomery's 2 best players are coming off injuries.  Both should be 100%, but you never know.  Brenham also has alot more experience in big games and close games.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it won't be easy to walk out of Cub Stadium with our district title.

Reasons why Montgomery will win:
a. Both offenses were limited to 1 TD last year, the deciding TD was a fumbled pitch due to a miscommunication in the O line. Montgomery has discovered new weapons this year (Alex Peppe, Tevin House), so they could help give more production for the Montgomery offense than they had last year.
b. Both defenses are outstanding. The Montgomery secondary can keep their passing game in check, so most of Brenham's offense will have to come from Troy Green and Schlottman scrambling. And if this game comes down to a battle of rushing, Dobbins and Montgomery win that battle.
c. Montgomery TE Josh Goodwin will have a big game. If Brenham is going to slow Dobbins, they are going to stack the box. That gives matchup issues in the passing game with a tall Goodwin.
d. Last year, Schlottman was able to scramble when the yards were needed. Montgomery has proven they can stop dual threat QBs against Crosby and Spring.

This is undoubtedly the biggest game in Montgomery Football History, so the fury that the Bears will play with along with factors listed above, I just see Montgomery edging them out.

[quote name="texasaggie" post="871244" timestamp="1286724702"]
Reasons why Montgomery will win:
a. Both offenses were limited to 1 TD last year, the deciding TD was a fumbled pitch due to a miscommunication in the O line. Montgomery has discovered new weapons this year (Alex Peppe, Tevin House), so they could help give more production for the Montgomery offense than they had last year.
b. Both defenses are outstanding. The Montgomery secondary can keep their passing game in check, so most of Brenham's offense will have to come from Troy Green and Schlottman scrambling. And if this game comes down to a battle of rushing, Dobbins and Montgomery win that battle.
c. Montgomery TE Josh Goodwin will have a big game. If Brenham is going to slow Dobbins, they are going to stack the box. That gives matchup issues in the passing game with a tall Goodwin.
d. Last year, Schlottman was able to scramble when the yards were needed. Montgomery has proven they can stop dual threat QBs against Crosby and Spring.

This is undoubtedly the biggest game in Montgomery Football History, so the fury that the Bears will play with along with factors listed above, I just see Montgomery edging them out.
[/quote]

A. Tremund Moore is a new weapon for us too. 
B. Dobbins got 200+ yards against us last year, but how did that work out...  (Only 1 TD) Dobbins will get his yards, just got to keep him out of the end zone again.
C. Bolfing threw 1 int last year, guess who it was against... (don't think he completed a pass)
D. Match up problems?  That WR will be up against a D1 CB (Rodney Hubert)
E. Bolfing won't have much time to throw.  4 star LB Tim Cole and 4 star DT Malcolm Brown (both only juniors) will see to it.

There is no comparison between the Brenham defense and the Montgomery defense.  Brenham's defense has taken it to a new level.  I don't think it would be speaking out of school to say that Brenham has the best defense in 4A.  These kids are allowing 3.6 ppg. A field goal a game. That's it.  I was thinking about a week ago that this was going to be a nailbiter.  After seeing Montgomery vs. Waller, I dont' feel that way anymore.  Brenham wins this comfortably and I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that the Cub defense does not allow a touchdown in this game.  Brenham 35 Montgomery 9.

You did lose Reese though, while Montgomery returns 3 of 4 DBs (the new DB is playing better than the one last year). So that essentially negates the addition of moore.
Crosby kept Dobbins out of the endzone last year, how did that workout this year?
Bolfing's INT was against Huntsville off a tipped pass by the way. And he completed 11 of 16 last year.
Goodwin will not be against Hubert, he will be covered by either an OLB or a Safety because their TE's lineup in the slot.
Brown is outstanding and will draw a double team, and Cole will probably be blocked by Dobbins who is one the best pass-blocking RBs in the state if you watch his film.

[quote name="texasaggie" post="871309" timestamp="1286733677"]
You did lose Reese though, while Montgomery returns 3 of 4 DBs (the new DB is playing better than the one last year). So that essentially negates the addition of moore.
Crosby kept Dobbins out of the endzone last year, how did that workout this year?
Bolfing's INT was against Huntsville off a tipped pass by the way. And he completed 11 of 16 last year.
Goodwin will not be against Hubert, he will be covered by either an OLB or a Safety because their TE's lineup in the slot.
Brown is outstanding and will draw a double team, and Cole will probably be blocked by Dobbins who is one the best pass-blocking RBs in the state if you watch his film.

[/quote]

Good post...  Sorry if I was wrong about the int.  We lost Reese And Hall, not Smith.  Smith is a WR.
Were not Crosby though...  Crosby gave up 50+ didn't they?  No way that happens to us.

Seems ya forgot about T.House w/529 rush yds.=6.96 per who's right there w/L.Dobbins 572 yds=8.94 per w/combined 17 tds.At QB pretty close between them in the stats.Rushing edge to the Bears-Recieving edge to the Cubs-Def.edge to the Cubs so Brenham by 3 @ home ;D

Montgomery rush vs Brenham D, Edge: Montgomery (Waller got 194 rushing yards against Brenham, Dobbins and House should do well)
Montgomery pass vs Brenham D, Edge: Tie (Bolfing will complete passes but probably wont throw often due to pressure from Brown and Cole)
Brenham pass vs Montgomery D, Edge: Tie (Montgomery has a strong enough secondary to limit the effectiveness of Schlottman's arm. He was pressured a lot last year, but you know Edwards and Moore will make a play happen at some point)
Brenham rush vs Montgomery D, Edge: Montgomery (Montgomery's defense is very disciplined and was able to limit waller to 72 rush yards, so Green will be limited. The key for Montgomery is to have their DE's contain Schlottman from scrambling for first downs.)
Special Teams, Edge: Brenham (Montgomery has been susceptible to long kick returns, and Brenham is tremendous at returning kicks, if Brenham can take one to the house, Montgomery could be in trouble. Plus, Brenham can kick field goals while Montgomery really cant. If brenham's D can stop Montgomery on 4th down in the redzone, and Brenham's offense can get them in range, Brenham's ability to make field goals could be crucial in a tight game.)
Montgomery's ability to run and stop the run will be the difference maker in a very tight game.

*Brenham D vs Montgomery rushing- Montgomery... Dobbins will get his, but will it be enough?  Brenham won't stop it, but if they can slow them (Dobbins & House) down, it might be just enough.  You can say Waller got alot of rushing yards but it resulted in only one TD.  The same thing happened in the Montgomery game last year.  The Cubs gave up yards, but only one TD.  Bend, but don't break.

*Brenham D vs Montgomery passing- Brenham... This defense is for real.  Bolfing will be on the run all night, being chased out of the pocket.  Brown will draw a double team, which will leave openings for one of the best LB corps around.  The Cubs have new safeties, but 2 lockdown CB's.  They shut Bolfing down last year, and have more experience this time.

*Montgomery D vs Brenham rushing- Montgomery... I'd give a slight edge to the Montgomery defense.  Montgomery has shown that they have a good defense.  Green is good, maybe not on Dobbins level, but good enough to make you respect the run.  Green had trouble with fumbles last year, but has only one this year.  Brenham will run to set up the pass.

*Montgomery D vs Brenham passing- Brenham... Montgomery is ok against the pass, but Brenham's passing game is above average.  Schlottmann isn't the fastest guy, but is somewhat effect when he needs to scramble.  His arm is more than capable of throwing threw tight windows, if he stays calm.  Even with pressure on him, he's good at throwing on the run, and if you've seen the Brenham WR's, you know that they are excellent at running routes and going up and getting the ball at it's highest point.

*Special Teams- Brenham... Edwards averages like 22yds, per punt return, and that really helps with field position.  The kick off team features Edwards and Green, which definantly doesn't hurt Brenham.  Brenham's kicker has the leg to take advantage of good field position.  He has been first team all district, since he was a sophomore.  He usually puts the ball threw the end zone on kickoffs too.

Brenham wins by 3-10 points.  I'm thinking 27-17 or 24-14.

hold on aggie saying you can stop a dual threat qb because you stopped crosbys qb really aint saying much, hell png crushed crosby two years in a row and this years defense is absolutely horrible at best, got to give thumbs up to brenham their defense this year is nothing short of awesome to say the least, i think brenham will win by a score of 24 - 17 i think that is being generous at best.

I play for montgomery and after watching Brenham film I will say that they are an excellent team this year, but nonetheless they are not unbeatable! our coaches are great and we have a great game plan to stop their offense. Our defense, after all, did hold Waller to less rushing yards than Brenham did. Brenham's defense is unbelievably good, but as you can see Leroy is coming back so that is a huge boost. We have tons of playmakers on offense and defense that could close this game out and win it for Montgomery. On top of that we now have a place kicker who is very good at making field goals and our special teams has some good stuff in store! All in all, Mongomery has never beaten Brenham for as long as they've been in our district, so our heart are on fire and the energy is there! Everybody on the team wants to win this game more than anything else. I think Montgomery comes out with the win, but it will come down to the end. I'm not saying anything against Brenham. They are a very well coached team and very skilled, but i think Montgomery wins in a close one.

And to Biaplayer.. We not only stopped crosby's quarterback (Dominic merka- a TCU commit) but we also have stopped spring's quarterback, Waller's quarterback, Houston Jones's quarterback (not really fair but still counts) and Stratford's quarterback-- All dual threat quarterbacks. I'm pretty sure that we've proved that we can handle the dual threat.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298