Ok Terror, its all yours. Fire away

Outside of enjoying all the remarks regarding "beautiful Beaumont" on the radio, I did learn one thing...

Todd Whitten may be the OC, but Ray Woodard is using the same offensive schemes that are found in the Arena League. Is Bevil really trying to find the end zone on each pass? Guessing Woodard picked that up during his stint with the TEXAS TERROR! ;)

SHSU is as young, if not younger at the skill positions than Lamar. Tons of freshmen and sophomores getting playing time, particularly at skill positions. Woodard's recruiting skills have been in question since the beginning and his team got outplayed by a true freshman at QB, a redshirt freshman at RB and another redshirt freshman at punter (had to include it, special teams made an OBVIOUS difference).

Bevil was under pressure by mostly freshman and sophomores all night. We start two underclassmen along our front four with five of eight on the two-deep on the line being FR or SO.

Really excited about the future. This game along with Gardner-Webb was another step in building confidence for our young team. Nicholls is next, so another step forward hopefully.

It looks to me like our coaching staff needs to prepare the team a little better and teach Bevil to look off a receiver every now and then. I do understand he is under pressure so I say(Bevil) RUN with the ball every now and then. We really need to practice some tackling drills, seems we can't tackle anyone unless we use 5-6 guys. I do think if the coaching staff is very good that in a couple years we should be much improved.

[quote name="HardHitter" post="865181" timestamp="1286145572"]
It looks to me like our coaching staff needs to prepare the team a little better and teach Bevil to look off a receiver every now and then. I do understand he is under pressure so I say(Bevil) RUN with the ball every now and then. We really need to practice some tackling drills, seems we can't tackle anyone unless we use 5-6 guys. I do think if the coaching staff is very good that in a couple years we should be much improved.
[/quote]

the coaching staff hasnt impressed me........please prove me wrong, Ray

[quote name="puddin tane" post="865389" timestamp="1286164951"]the coaching staff hasnt impressed me........please prove me wrong, Ray[/quote]

Wonder if what I've said about Woodard will come true, that hiring him set your program back a few years... really hard to tell. We'll know more next year.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="865389" timestamp="1286164951"]
[quote author=HardHitter link=topic=73890.msg865181#msg865181 date=1286145572]
[/quote]

the coaching staff hasnt impressed me........please prove me wrong, Ray
[/quote]

The coaching staff hasn't impressed you?  Seriously are you stupid.  What should they do?  Get out there and play.  We are 5 games in to reviving a program that has been dead for 20 some odd years and trying to recruit to that is next to impossible.  What LU has done so far this year is a huge step in the right direction.  You people prove with statements like this how little you know about college athletics.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="865465" timestamp="1286197826"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=73890.msg865389#msg865389 date=1286164951]the coaching staff hasnt impressed me........please prove me wrong, Ray[/quote]

Wonder if what I've said about Woodard will come true, that hiring him set your program back a few years... really hard to tell. We'll know more next year.
[/quote]

Ok I opened the door and let you have free reign for the weekend, but enough already.  I thought you would extoll the virtues of a strong showing by your Bearkats but as I should have expected, you find it more pleasing to your ego to trash all things Lamar.  You don't look as smart as you think you do when your only objective is to bad mouth.

We have had 2 BAD games in our 1st year.... Whoopie... What did people expect... We are playing a much tougher schedule than the other start ups. We actually got some top 25 votes... Yes the wheels have fell off but the season is not lost..  We just need to come out our next 2 home games and play with some FIRE and AGGRESSION! That will get the crowd PUMPED UP and get our swagger back!

[quote name="LUFAN" post="865540" timestamp="1286204669"]
We have had 2 BAD games in our 1st year.... Whoopie... What did people expect... We are playing a much tougher schedule than the other start ups. We actually got some top 25 votes... Yes the wheels have fell off but the season is not lost..  We just need to come out our next 2 home games and play with some FIRE and AGGRESSION! That will get the crowd PUMPED UP and get our swagger back!
[/quote]

Well said.  Peoples expectations around here are a joke.  They think they know football and college athletics and they have NO FREAKING IDEA!!!!  Give it time people and support through the good and bad.

Sorry sleepy, I agree we as fans expect too much from most of our opponents but SHSU is actually younger than we are. They have more Fr. and red-shirt Fr in their two deep roster than Lamar does.

There is no excuse for poor tackling at the college level period! 4 of the 5 teams we played had a RB have a career night rushing against us. I realize having a lot of 3 and out offensive possessions keeps the defense on the field longer. They need to start creating some TO's and defensive stops on 3 down and get of the field.

SHSU had a true freshman who was a prototypical college QB at 170 pounds. The RB was a red-shirt FR transfer from Kansas State named Flanders who rushed for 153. Our team rushed the ball 9 times for a [b]-23 [/b] yards. That is terrible for a college team in their 5th game of the season!

I'm sorry if I hurt a few peoples feelings but our RB's were not heavily recruited for a reason. The again, I'm not sure Emmitt Smith could gain any yardage with the type of blocking our O-line is giving. They aren't great at pass blocking either. I'll go with the coaching staffs word on the injury of Andre Bevil a high ankle sprain (A high a sprain is used to describe a particular type of ankle injury. Normally, when someone sprains their ankle, the ligaments that surround the ankle joint are stretched or torn. This injury causes pain and swelling around the ankle, and can be quite uncomfortable.) so he wasn't as mobile which is his best asset as a QB.

So while I don't expect us to have a winning season the first year I don't expect to be getting beat 71-3 to the best team in the SLC or 38-10 to a team that won't place in the top 5 in the SLC this season.

Coach Woodard may need to make some adjustments to his staff this offseason.  Is there a reason Nathan Reeves is the offensive line coach when he has no experience coaching this position?  There's a lot of HS coaches on the staff, and very few with D1 college coaching experience.  Seems like Todd Dodge at UNT took a lot of heat for bringing in too many HS coaches.

SHSU may be a little younger plus they have a new coaching staff, but I bet they have more overall depth and experience just because they are not starting from scratch like Lamar is.  Next year we'll get a better read on this team after Woodard gets a year D1 coaching behind him and he brings in another round of recruits.

You guys just don't quite understand.  Ray Woodard has been recruiting to a school that has not had a football program for 25 years.  They cannot win the conference for the first year and when you tell a recruit that it is very hard to get them here.  Not to mention that players don't want to go to a start up program.  After the McNeese game Ray Woodard and his staff were the next coming of Bo Schembechler and now he needs to fire his staff. 

Just because Sam Houston is younger in spots does not mean that we should beat them. The quality of recruits they get are better because they have had a program for the last 25 years.  You people simply amaze me.  Every coach in the world will tell you that he can be as great a coach as he wants but without players you can't win.  We don't have capable backups because we are a new program and we are banged up.  You people are evaluating a staff on 5 games in the first year back and they are 2-3 and one score away from 3-2.  Wake up and smell the coffee.  We will not compete for a conference championship for at least 3 years and that is a fact and normal.

Also, credit Lamar for the schedule they are playing.  Most 1st year teams schedule Mary Mother of the Blind every single week in their first year to pad their schedule.  They dang sure wouldn't agree to big rival games like Lamar has.

I personally am very satisfied with what Lamar has done and think they are headed in the right direction.  Time people.  Time.

[quote name="coachacola" post="865720" timestamp="1286222069"]
[b]Coach Woodard may need to make some adjustments to his staff this offseason.  Is there a reason Nathan Reeves is the offensive line coach when he has no experience coaching this position?  There's a lot of HS coaches on the staff, and very few with D1 college coaching experience.  Seems like Todd Dodge at UNT took a lot of heat for bringing in too many HS coaches.[/b]

SHSU may be a little younger plus they have a new coaching staff, but I bet they have more overall depth and experience just because they are not starting from scratch like Lamar is.  Next year we'll get a better read on this team after Woodard gets a year D1 coaching behind him and he brings in another round of recruits.
[/quote]

Tell me your not serious.  What coaches would leave other programs to come to Lamar as a first year program???? Come on!!!!

Sleepy, call Coach Woodard today and ask him how he feels about the Sam Houston game. I bet you will be surprised.

I'll be at the Langston game with a few family members to support the Cards win or lose.

Langston's famous alumnus, Former Dallas Cowboys star Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson.  

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Henderson_(American_football)

Go Big Red!

[quote name="sleepy" post="865738" timestamp="1286223212"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73890.msg865720#msg865720 date=1286222069]
[b]Coach Woodard may need to make some adjustments to his staff this offseason.  Is there a reason Nathan Reeves is the offensive line coach when he has no experience coaching this position?  There's a lot of HS coaches on the staff, and very few with D1 college coaching experience.  Seems like Todd Dodge at UNT took a lot of heat for bringing in too many HS coaches.[/b]

[/quote]

Tell me your not serious.  What coaches would leave other programs to come to Lamar as a first year program???? Come on!!!!

[/quote]

So you are saying that no assistant coach from another FCS school would even bother to coach at Lamar?  What if they were offered a pay raise?  If Lamar can only afford to hire HS coaches then maybe we're in for a lot of disappointments.

[quote name="bigred360" post="865740" timestamp="1286223576"]
Sleepy, call Coach Woodard today and ask him how he feels about the Sam Houston game. I bet you will be surprised.

I'll be at the Langston game with a few family members to support the Cards win or lose.

Langston's famous alumnus, Former Dallas Cowboys star Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson.  

Go Big Red!
[/quote]

Sleepy forget about it. They dont get it!!

[quote name="coachacola" post="865751" timestamp="1286224301"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=73890.msg865738#msg865738 date=1286223212]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you are saying that no assistant coach from another FCS school would even bother to coach at Lamar?  What if they were offered a pay raise?  If Lamar can only afford to hire HS coaches then maybe we're in for a lot of disappointments.
[/quote]

Pay raise????  Who are we gonna pay more than???

[quote name="Twig" post="865759" timestamp="1286225093"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73890.msg865751#msg865751 date=1286224301]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=73890.msg865738#msg865738 date=1286223212]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Pay raise????  Who are we gonna pay more than???
[/quote]

Are you saying that all FCS schools pay their coaches more than Lamar does?

[quote name="Twig" post="865756" timestamp="1286224963"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=73890.msg865740#msg865740 date=1286223576]

Go Big Red!
[/quote]

Sleepy forget about it. They dont get it!!
[/quote]

Twig, where did you come from? I guess there is a first for everything. Haven't seen a post from you on this forum in the past.

As for as evaluating a staff on 5 games in the first year back in 21 years I'm not doing that. I am voicing my opinion of the "team". Because if not, please explain 21 junior college transfers, 7 transfers from FBS schools, 2 from DII schools, 3 from FCS schools, 2 from NAIA schools, and 1 from a prep school. The rest of the roster is freshman and red-shirt freshman.  

You can't tell me Coach Woodard didn't have a "sells pitch" for recruits to come to Lamar and start a new tradition; the beginning of something new. BTW, the best facilities that will be in the SLC next season.

I'm 100% sure sleepy knows more about basketball and golf than I do but I know football pretty well. I played the sport in HS and brother was a HS coach. He was a finalist for the Deweyville job at age 26 and every team he coached made the playoffs and that includes LC-M where they haven't made the playoffs too often, West Brook and Mansfield.

So I know how hard coaches work. They put in 6-7 days a week, 12 or more hrs per day. IMO to judge the coaching staff at Lamar this early as a first year start up is ridiculous.

That said you can't tell me they did not have a "plan" to be successful in the win-loss colum this season or they would have filled those transfer scholarships with freshman.

Sleepy stated "We will not compete for a conference championship for at least 3 years and that is a fact and normal."

Well, please show me the post where I said anything about a conference championship. You won't find it because I never stated it.

However, with the recruiting philosophy (large number of FBS, FCS, DII and junior college transfers) half the team will have used up their eligibility before 3 years. I'm just looking for the team to be competitive with the schedule the coaches made. Just show me some improvement from game to game and I'll be happy.

I've waited 21 years for Lamar to bring back the football program so I'll be supporting the team win or lose.

Go Cards!

fire the coach?  where did you read that sleepy /and or twit?
havent read a post where anyone said that.

[b]not that i want either[/b] , just stating a fact to your rant:
both Ga st and godforsaken UTSA are start ups with  coaches with d-1 expericene, so get your facts straight

expect too much?  i don't think expecting a tackle here and there is expecting too much...at least against Sam they didnt roll over like they did at Nac.

they keep playing like that have the last 2 games and they may just  pull an 0-fer the rest of the season...and I'll be out there -rain or shine

[size=10pt]note to Ray...there are about 48yds -sideline to sideline-of unused turf in between those *#@%! go routes.[/size]

[quote name="puddin tane" post="865860" timestamp="1286232105"]
fire the coach?  where did you read that sleepy /and or twit?
havent read a post where anyone said that.

[b]not that i want either[/b] , just stating a fact to your rant:
both Ga st and godforsaken UTSA are start ups with  coaches with d-1 expericene, so get your facts straight

expect too much?  i don't think expecting a tackle here and there is expecting too much...at least against Sam they didnt roll over like they did at Nac.

they keep playing like that have the last 2 games and they may just  pull an 0-fer the rest of the season...and I'll be out there -rain or shine

[size=10pt]note to Ray...there are about 48yds -sideline to sideline-of unused turf in between those *#@%! go routes.[/size]
[/quote]

If you will look back coachacola said we need to make some changes to the staff in the offseason.  That is where I got that and it is a complete joke. I just find it funny that everyone had pegged Ray Woodard as the next coming after week one and now he is not impressive and the players suck.

As for your note to Ray.  He is a defensive guy so you may wanna make that note to Todd Whitten who is the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.  And Todd Whitten would talk circles around you when it comes to offense.

BigRed360.  Just so you know I have spoken with coach woodard about the game and no he is not happy.  Where did I say he would be happy about a loss?  They could play the New York Giants and he wouldn't be happy losing.  He also understood this was going to happen with a new program and that this is the territory this job comes with early on.

I don't think this has anything to do with knowing football and not knowing football.  I think it has to do with knowing the landscape of COLLEGE RECRUITING and COLLEGE ATHLETICS.  Ray had a "Sales pitch" and trust me from spending a large amount of time with him he is as good of a Salesman as there is.  However, the sales pitch is great but when you have to sale against not having a program for the last 21 years that is much harder than ANYONE knows.

Here is my bottom line.  Lamar University has made HORRID mistakes hiring and firing basketball coaches for the last 20 years and it has cost our basketball program dearly.  Mostly because of disgruntled fans and boosters.  I don't want the same for the football program.  If you look at Lamar's top two athletic programs they have had coaches in place for a very long time.  I bleed red and have for 25 years.  I am a former student athlete but more importantly I was attending basketball games from age 3 on.  I was the first to buy season tickets and tailgaiting spots among doing other things.  I hate it when there has been such a build up and things IMHO are going so well and people come on here a dog the program 5 games in to their first season.  Unrealistic expectations have killed this school for 20 years and I don't want the same to happen now.  That's my stand.

[quote name="WBbear" post="866331" timestamp="1286286677"]
Lamar football will be just fine. Success take time. Can we just enjoy the start up of football again. There is nothing better than watching what is happening on that campus when there is a home football game. Go Cards!!!!!!
[/quote]

Very refreshing WB Bear.  What I wanted to say.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami