WHAT'S JASPER SOLUTION FOR GETTING BACK THAT WINNING TRADITION?

JASPER HAS THE TALENT TO WIN GAMES I JUST THINK THEY'RE NOT IN THE RIGHT POSITIONS. EXCUSES ABOUT THE KIDS BEING YOUNG IS NOT ACCEPTABLE ANYMORE, ESPECIALLY AFTER PLAYING SEVERAL GAMES IN A ROW.  I FEEL THAT THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPROVEMENTS EVERY WEEK, BUT THINGS ARE ACTUALLY GOING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.  WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

[quote name="BLUETIC99" post="863422" timestamp="1285990107"]
JASPER HAS THE TALENT TO WIN GAMES I JUST THINK THEY'RE NOT IN THE RIGHT POSITIONS.  [color=crimson]WHICH REALLY BOILS DOWN TO COACHING !!!!![/color]  EXCUSES ABOUT THE KIDS BEING YOUNG IS NOT ACCEPTABLE ANYMORE, ESPECIALLY AFTER PLAYING SEVERAL GAMES IN A ROW.  I FEEL THAT THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPROVEMENTS EVERY WEEK, BUT THINGS ARE ACTUALLY GOING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. >:(
[/quote]

You know this post will likely get you smited (but not from me).

[quote name="kcat-fan" post="863515" timestamp="1285992313"]
Before tonight when was the last time Jasper lost to OF?

[/quote] They got thumped by Orangefield 35-13 in 2006. Orangefield was fired up after that big win with their star Qb Ramsey. The next week Orangefield got thumped on their homecoming by Kville 48-26.  ;)

[quote name="SHSTIGER" post="863606" timestamp="1285995274"]
Where's Walkoviak?
[/quote]

I'd love to see him go back, but I think he's happy doing his thing in Newton on that staff. This past week has probably been rough on him, though. He and Coach Barbay were very close from everything I've heard.

I like everything I've heard about Coach Bickham and I think he'll do good things in Jasper if given the time. Having said that, nobody has done more for the Bulldogs than Coach Walkoviak. I think most Jasper fans would welcome him back with open arms if that's what he wanted to do...

JMO, but sometimes a coaches scheme don't fit what he has. It is important for the coach to tap in to his players abilities and help the kids have better chances at success. Ultimately the kids have to play the game. It's also important that his kids buy into what he wants them to do.
Now, I've not seen Jasper this year, but I know Jasper has athletes every year. i really can't say what's this teams problem this year, may be coaching, may be the desire's not there for the players. The coach may not be a good fit. What ever the problem i can't wait til my Jasper buddies turn it around.

i been watching jasper football for 21 years after playing there.this is the worst ive seen a jasper defense. offense looks good one game looks like a different team the next. JMO there is no discipline on this team period that falls on the coaching staff. when a player tells a coach im not doing that theres your problem.

[quote name="bigdog90" post="864994" timestamp="1286128907"]
i been watching jasper football for 21 years after playing there.this is the worst ive seen a jasper defense. offense looks good one game looks like a different team the next. JMO there is no discipline on this team period that falls on the coaching staff. when a player tells a coach im not doing that theres your problem.
[/quote]

Yes I agree totally if that's what's going on...If a player told Coach Alvarez that..He wouldn't be playing anymore... ;)

Come on guys, I'm not even from Jasper and knew this group of Seniors for Jasper was not very talented. They won very few games in sub varsity. When you have a group come thru that isn't strong you have to play up younger players which naturally makes for a tough season... Jasper will be fine. They have a strong Freshman group, a pretty good group of 8th graders and 7th graders. They will be back.

Im a Bulldog to the bone and what im seeing this year is heart breaking the O shows it can move the ball but there is now real flow to the O and the D what can I say it's bad just look's like the kids are not in the right place 95% of the time It's very hard to look at the I love my Jasper Bulldogs Class of 95 For Life.

gasilla have you seen this team play this year? they where no good cause the coaching staff moved everybody up last year. there is 14 seniors on this team 10 played varsity last year. they dont have the right qb they play off the ball 7 to 10 yards when another team running it down ur throat. lb and db that is. if houston worthing coaches had any sense they had us beat. ran it down our throat then stopped. and have the wrong player playing qb JMO

Seen them twice and been watching the group for a while. I'm not saying that there isn't a player on the team that can play a position better than another... I do not know them that well. But, I do know that this group of seniors have never been really successful on the field so I do not think someone at different positions is going to make the difference. They are just in a rebuilding year. They will probably finish around 3-7 this year and probably 6-4 to 7-3 next, then watch out!!!

Good coaching can turn what would be a sub-.500 team into a .500 team and a .500 team into a winning team, and so on... I think Dan Hooks at WO-S is a prime example. Also, look at all the years Kirbyville lost. They all of a sudden didn't get a talent infusion. The talent was developed through a program, which comes from good coaching. And with good coaching, you must have stability. Again, Alvarez and especially Hooks are good coaches who have been around long enough to build a stable program at their respective schools. You can't have one without the other and expect to have a winning tradition. Jasper hasn't had a good coach willing to commit to the program long term since Walkoviak.

[quote name="JB94" post="866188" timestamp="1286249346"]
Good coaching can turn what would be a sub-.500 team into a .500 team and a .500 team into a winning team, and so on... I think Dan Hooks at WO-S is a prime example. Also, look at all the years Kirbyville lost. They all of a sudden didn't get a talent infusion. The talent was developed through a program, which comes from good coaching. And with good coaching, you must have stability. Again, Alvarez and especially Hooks are good coaches who have been around long enough to build a stable program at their respective schools. You can't have one without the other and expect to have a winning tradition. Jasper hasn't had a good coach willing to commit to the program long term since Walkoviak.
[/quote]This is so true

I don't often post because too many times I see people foaming at the mouth, pointing their finger at someone or something for their perceived problem (a microcosm of societal ills). Jasper had an 8-3 record last year with quality wins over State Finalist Kirbyville, WOS and Silsbee to name a few. This season, much like the late 90s and the '06 and '08 teams, the squad is struggling, yet they are commanded by the same person as last year.

It's the coaches, it's the scheme, it's the wrong positioning, it's the offense, it's the defense, it's the refs........it's the everything-else-but-me syndrome.

Jimmy Johnson takes over for Dallas and goes 1-15, then 7-9 before he ever wins a super bowl. Barry Switzer comes in and wins a super bowl too and has a better overall winning percentage at Dallas than Johnson. [b]Why?[/b] Johnson goes on to Miami and wins 56% of his games in four years and no super bowls. [b]What happened? [/b]

Please enlighten me.

[quote name="soonerbeintexas" post="866723" timestamp="1286323285"]
I don't often post because too many times I see people foaming at the mouth, pointing their finger at someone or something for their perceived problem (a microcosm of societal ills). Jasper had an 8-3 record last year with quality wins over State Finalist Kirbyville, WOS and Silsbee to name a few. This season, much like the late 90s and the '06 and '08 teams, the squad is struggling, yet they are commanded by the same person as last year.

It's the coaches, it's the scheme, it's the wrong positioning, it's the offense, it's the defense, it's the refs........it's the everything-else-but-me syndrome.

Jimmy Johnson takes over for Dallas and goes 1-15, then 7-9 before he ever wins a super bowl. Barry Switzer comes in and wins a super bowl too and has a better overall winning percentage at Dallas than Johnson. [b]Why?[/b] Johnson goes on to Miami and wins 56% of his games in four years and no super bowls. [b]What happened? [/b]

Please enlighten me.
[/quote]

I don't post that often for the same reason. My two cents...Tom Landry and Tex Schramm had an established program. Even though Jimmy had some rebuilding to do, I don't think the job was as monumental because Tom was successful for so long. Once Jimmy got it going again, it was easier for Barry to continue what Tom and Jimmy had established before him. Obviously, the Cowboys haven't had the same amount of success since then. I won't comment on Miami because I don't know enough about their history. Those are just my thoughts FWIW.

[quote name="Land95" post="866263" timestamp="1286277224"]
[quote author=JB94 link=topic=73837.msg866188#msg866188 date=1286249346]
[/quote]This is so true
[/quote]

100% true until we get a coach that cares about developing talent from 7th grade and up we will struggle.  and its defently not here now..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder