SELECT SOFTBALL

LULUJUJU

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for exactly stating what you just stated.......There is not ONE coach in this entire area that has seperated himself or herself from the pack....Why do you think that is???  This area is and always revolved around sports...There are many and I repeat many very knowledgeable people in this area to have over 35-40 Excellent coaches...I can personally name them.  Is there a reason they don't get involved???  It just seems to me that quality of coaches has gown downhill due to the fact that the ones coaching now aren't there for the right reasons...Either they did not play sports and are living their lives through their kids or they might just really and truly be volunteers that care enough and try to help but they are not teaching our kids the simple proper fundamentals...Is that justifying!!!  If I volunteer to help with handicapped children lets say that need speech therapy and I dont know anything about it SHOULD I CONTINUE TO DO IT JUST BECAUSE I HAVE SOME EXTRA TIME ON MY HANDS AND CARE ABOUT THE KIDS?? NO, in my eyes, i would be unintentionally hurting the cause!!!  I guess my point is that if you want to volunteer to do something at least know a little something about it...I have watched to many young children get taught the wrong fundamentals way too many times....Last night, at a select team ballgame, the coach yelled from the dugout all night to everyone of his batters "ELBOW UP"!!!  I guess some of you coaches still think thats the proper way to hit a ball!!!!

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="860767" timestamp="1285780248"]
Thank you for exactly stating what you just stated.......There is not ONE coach in this entire area that has seperated himself or herself from the pack....Why do you think that is???  This area is and always revolved around sports...There are many and I repeat many very knowledgeable people in this area to have over 35-40 Excellent coaches...I can personally name them.  Is there a reason they don't get involved???  It just seems to me that quality of coaches has gown downhill due to the fact that the ones coaching now aren't there for the right reasons...Either they did not play sports and are living their lives through their kids or they might just really and truly be volunteers that care enough and try to help but they are not teaching our kids the simple proper fundamentals...Is that justifying!!!  If I volunteer to help with handicapped children lets say that need speech therapy and I dont know anything about it SHOULD I CONTINUE TO DO IT JUST BECAUSE I HAVE SOME EXTRA TIME ON MY HANDS AND CARE ABOUT THE KIDS?? NO, in my eyes, i would be unintentionally hurting the cause!!!  I guess my point is that if you want to volunteer to do something at least know a little something about it...I have watched to many young children get taught the wrong fundamentals way too many times....Last night, at a select team ballgame, the coach yelled from the dugout all night to everyone of his batters "ELBOW UP"!!!  I guess some of you coaches still think thats the proper way to hit a ball!!!!
[/quote]
I was speaking of the 10U age group and I might add most have not had time to seperate themselves yet. As far as overall, I would think you would have to admit Robert Armentrout John Harrell and Robert Verde have all seperated themselves at one point or another. They each have had a hand in an AFA National Championship. John Harrell brought his 12U to tied for 9th in the ASA A Nationals, Robert Armentrout briught his 18U to Gold Nationals and Robert Verde brought his 18U to Gold Nationals multiple times, beating your vaunted Houston Teams all along the way. Bet ya didn't know that. Anyway you seem to know it all so good luck with that. Coached two years in 6U and two in 8U and got it all figured out.  ::)

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="860767" timestamp="1285780248"]
Last night, at a select team ballgame, the coach yelled from the dugout all night to everyone of his batters "ELBOW UP"!!!  I guess some of you coaches still think thats the proper way to hit a ball!!!!
[/quote]

Hey BreakerCoach, Did you mention something about rotational vs linear????????? Wonder which approach LuLu favors...

Robert Armentrout= Excellent Coach
John Harrell=Excellent Coach
Robert Verde=Excellent Coach

These guys you are referring to are all good coaches......I would rather kill this subject before I have to "callout" the coaches I am referring to.  For the last 3 or so years I have only been watching "and helping when i can" the age bracket of eleven and under both softball and baseball....I have not coached and don't care to.  I as a parent have thrown balls to girls and boys and helped only with coaches asking and myself volunteering.  I have always kept my mouth shut at practices..In the heat of the moment I have called out an umpire or so!! LOL  I guess the coaches on this forum are taken it so personal cause they think I am referring to them..I am just referring to the age bracket that I have witnessed and you are probably correct in saying that the coaching gets much better as the girls get older..Its probably due to the fact that at this age level most coaches, parents, and kids want it to just be fun more so than competition...

Lightning/Eagle

To answer your question buddy I would take the rotatinal approach to knocking your A@@ out!!  I would much rather knock the crap out of you and hit you hard than to slap you like a lil girl by using the linear approach!!
Does that answer your question!! If you need further lessons on rotational vs linear I can clear things up a little more if need be!!

Sincerely THE ROTATIONAL MAN

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="860948" timestamp="1285793204"]
Robert Armentrout= Excellent Coach
John Harrell=Excellent Coach
Robert Verde=Excellent Coach

These guys you are referring to are all good coaches......I would rather kill this subject before I have to "callout" the coaches I am referring to.  For the last 3 or so years I have only been watching "and helping when i can" the age bracket of eleven and under both softball and baseball....I have not coached and don't care to.  I as a parent have thrown balls to girls and boys and helped only with coaches asking and myself volunteering.  I have always kept my mouth shut at practices..In the heat of the moment I have called out an umpire or so!! LOL  I guess the coaches on this forum are taken it so personal cause they think I am referring to them..I am just referring to the age bracket that I have witnessed and you are probably correct in saying that the coaching gets much better as the girls get older..Its probably due to the fact that at this age level most coaches, parents, and kids want it to just be fun more so than competition...
[/quote]

Now this is a good post and I knew you had it in you.  Speaking for myself, I never was offended nor did I take anything personal.  No need too from where i am at the time.  I posted in your first thread because I saw you were not being challenged and it seemed you wanted and by all means you needed one.  That also is ok because without meeting you --I see you are competitive in nature.  I continued posting becuase I felt you obviously had much more in you and my being a little competive wanted to see what you've got.

I agree with that BH-umpire dude that you tend to be offensive even when stating you are not.  But i regress because that also does not bother me.  

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="860969" timestamp="1285794947"]
Lightning/Eagle

To answer your question buddy I would take the rotatinal approach to knocking your A@@ out!!  I would much rather knock the crap out of you and hit you hard than to slap you like a lil girl by using the linear approach!!
Does that answer your question!! If you need further lessons on rotational vs linear I can clear things up a little more if need be!!

Sincerely THE ROTATIONAL MAN
[/quote]

And then again, this is not your best post.  Win a few ---lose a few.  ;)

you are a very smart man weedbegone!!!!!!  I am very competitive...Sometimes too competitive.. I have always tried to teach my kids to just have fun and as long as you are trying thats all that matters...But with my daughter (who is eight) I have found someone a little more competitive than me.....It was our coaches rule for the girls on our team to never ask what the score was.... So in the middle of an inning she would run in the dugout and hurry up and whisper through the fence to the dad that kept the books to find out what the score was cause most of the time there are no scoreboards.....Once he quit telling her score she had an idea......After every inning I would see her writing something down on one of those little notepads...So after one game, I was helping her pack her equipment into her bag and noticed this pad with lines on it....She looked up at me and said DAD we won 13-2...I said oh yeah, how do you know that.......She said Coach doesnt allow us to ask what the score is and bookkeeper dad quit telling her so I have been keeping the score on my own in this little pad and I remember how many runs the other team scores when Im on the field...This little eight year old cannot stand to lose!!!!!

by the way I know Im in the wrong thread to be asking this question but I have not watched either team play this year as I have been following and watching the Memorial Titans....I am a TJ boy!!  But who is going to win Mid County Madness this year?  I know both teams have been a little disappointing but who is actually the better team??

Man I wish you had not called Weed a smart man. That's all we need now for this thread. Weed will make sure we hit 20 pages. On a serious note. I'm not picken or digging here but, why don't you want to coach? You stated " I have not coached and don't care to". Why not? You have a passion for it. You're not happy about certain things. You act like you have some kind of knowledge. Besides your belief that a parent shouldn't coach, what's your reservation? Are you qualified to teach proper fundamentals? Just asking...... 

I really would love to coach....I own a business that requires me to be there Monday thru Saturday from 10-7....I am not qualified in no way but I really think I could be an excellent fielding and hitting coach.  I know nothing about girls pitching...Boys yes but wouldnt have the slightest clue to teach a girl how to pitch a softball...Therefore I only coach my daughter and have helped at practices..I just dont like to question what the coach is teaching even if I know its wrong cause Im not the coach....I have some things in the works for something big in the mid-county area but due to a few things still needing to be ironed out I would rather not say at this time...But when it does happen I promise you that you wont be disappointed to what I plan on bringing to this area.  I have noticed daddy ball alot more frequent in select baseball than softball and I have honestly noticed and know that there are some coaches that are harder on their own than anyone else..If my daughter chooses to lolly gag around then she will be the first one sitting the bench...My daughter wouldn't be on my team though as she has moved with mom and is now playing for a team in the woodlands area!

Most 8U and 10U coaches get involved to work with their DD. I am one of those parents. That was about 10 to 12 years ago. Did not know a thing about the game, but I watched other coaches, read, surfed the net, and became a student of the game. Every camp my kids went to I took MY notepad and and learned more than my kids did at the time. I bought a batting cage, pitching machine, T's ETC....

I learned from every situation that came up and every game that I coached in and from every coach that coached against me. My point is....Coaches are learning along with the players at that age. Worse case, the coaches are volunteering their time and sometimes being the only father figure these ladies have.

The best coaches will continue to work up the ladder and the others will end up in the stands. The best athletes will do the same!! I for one could never replace the time I spent in those dugouts with both my daughters. Just give those volunteers a break and find one of those SUPER teams with paid coaches.

Thanks to all those crappy 6U, 8U, and 10U league and select coaches that ever sat in any dugout and gave their time with either of my kids and for instilling the love for the game of softball!!!

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="Lightning/Eagle" post="860922" timestamp="1285791621"]
[quote author=LULUJUJU link=topic=73596.msg860767#msg860767 date=1285780248]
Last night, at a select team ballgame, the coach yelled from the dugout all night to everyone of his batters "ELBOW UP"!!!  I guess some of you coaches still think thats the proper way to hit a ball!!!!
[/quote]

Hey BreakerCoach, Did you mention something about rotational vs linear????????? Wonder which approach LuLu favors...
[/quote]

LOL ! How you been ? Fiqured I could just stir gently on this one !  ;D

Beware LULU, Your the enemy ! Darn mid county people !  ;D

[quote name="Breakercoach" post="861137" timestamp="1285806762"]
[quote author=Lightning/Eagle link=topic=73596.msg860922#msg860922 date=1285791621]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Darn mid county person! :D

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="Keyser Soze" post="861152" timestamp="1285807122"]
[quote author=Breakercoach link=topic=73596.msg861137#msg861137 date=1285806762]
[quote author=Lightning/Eagle link=topic=73596.msg860922#msg860922 date=1285791621]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Disclaimer: He is PNG !  ;D

You ever known of anyone from Nederland be a trouble maker !

By the way I thought Rowdie had some excellent coaches also !  ;D

[quote name="Breakercoach" post="861162" timestamp="1285807437"]
[quote author=Keyser Soze link=topic=73596.msg861152#msg861152 date=1285807122]
[quote author=Breakercoach link=topic=73596.msg861137#msg861137 date=1285806762]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Disclaimer: He is PNG !  ;D

You ever known of anyone from Nederland be a trouble maker !

By the way I thought Rowdie had some excellent coaches also !  ;D
[/quote]

Well they had one! Also, they had one outstanding water boy and one loud mouth advice giver that sat on a bucket.  8)

Did somebody call? :D 
I know the price of ice from here to Beltway 8 and I45 south. :D

Back to the topic---I agree with the term clueless when getting involved with 8 and 10 year olds.  Heck ---many of us were clueless just parenting 10 year olds in general. 

[b]COMMERCIAL BREAK---RANGERDAD I agree with everything you said but....you never excelled in the softball arena until you went EAST of the River on SETX Sports and met us  so called clueless softball guru's ...LOL[/b]

Back again to the topic--I agree with LULU on the clueless stuff because many of us got involved because of situations that we responded to.  I alone got involved to make sure my DD was not picked by certain coaches in league ball.  From there, I decided to learn and grow with the game.  I never claim to have seperated myself  to be included in the pool of good coaches---but I did learn and to some extent contribute.  I can ice down an umpires Gatoraide as well as anybody.  Pretty good at chasing foul balls also.  All, not some, of the areas best GFPSB coaches had to be  clueless at some time. 
And yes daddy ball exist, but rarely perseveres in the older ages.  As players grow they quickly figure this out. 
My follow up with LULU--you points are good, your approach lacks diplomacy and those that have been there know these things. 

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="861202" timestamp="1285809316"]

Back to the topic---I agree with the term clueless when getting involved with 8 and 10 year olds.  Heck ---many of us were clueless just parenting 10 year olds in general. 

[b]COMMERCIAL BREAK---RANGERDAD I agree with everything you said but....you never excelled in the softball arena until you went EAST of the River on SETX Sports and met us  so called clueless softball guru's ...LOL[/b]

Back again to the topic--I agree with LULU on the clueless stuff because many of us got involved because of situations that we responded to.  I alone got involved to make sure my DD was not picked by certain coaches in league ball.  From there, I decided to learn and grow with the game.  I never claim to have seperated myself  to be included in the pool of good coaches---but I did learn and to some extent contribute.  I can ice down an umpires Gatoraide as well as anybody.  Pretty good at chasing foul balls also.  All, not some, of the areas best GFPSB coaches had to be  clueless at some time. 
And yes daddy ball exist, but rarely perseveres in the older ages.  As players grow they quickly figure this out. 
My follow up with LULU--you points are good, your approach lacks diplomacy and those that have been there know these things. 
[/quote]

One more thing---the real goofy clueless daddyball coaches also make a contribution to GFPSB.  They  bring in the good coaches that could not take it any longer.  ;)

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="WeedBegone" post="861202" timestamp="1285809316"]

[/quote]

Dang Good Post Weed !

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="WeedBegone" post="861209" timestamp="1285809771"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=73596.msg861202#msg861202 date=1285809316]

[/quote]

One more thing---the real goofy clueless daddyball coaches also make a contribution to GFPSB.   They  bring in the good coaches that could not take it any longer.  ;)
[/quote]

Caesar !  :o  ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder