*Lamar vs. SFA Updates......SFA Rolls!*

KFDM COOP

[quote name="Green Menace" post="858663" timestamp="1285546588"]
Why are you guys beating yourselves up over this loss?  Man, it's like "jihad" over here.  This was your 4th game in over 20 years.  Sfa has 11 transfers from FBS schools on their rost, plus the team has been around a lot longer than Lamar.  Forget about the game.  Get ready for the next one.  Support Lamar football in good times and in bad.  True fans do that you know.
[/quote]

Thanks Green Menace!
We should be done licking our wounds by now. Figure out what needs to be done and lets move on.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodard said in an interview last month that one of the reasons Lamar signed a lot of JUCO players is that fans expect Lamar to win right away.  Reading all these comments confirms that he was right about that.  This is a good thing because it means there's already a lot of passionate Lamar football fans.

For some perspective, both ODU and South Alabama started their football programs last year and I don't think either one scheduled a FCS team.  Lamar has already played 3 on the road and now sits 2-2 on the year with 5 home games left.  A 6 win season is still in reach which I think would surpass everyone's expectations.

As far as the team goes, the defense isn't very good yet.  They gave up a lot of points against both McNeese and SLU, those teams just don't have the potent offense that SFA does.  McNeese just lost 40-7 at home to Cal Poly so they are not a good team so far this season.  Lamar's offense relies on Bevil, so if he's hurt or has a off night then the offense struggles.  Throw in the fact the team is turnover prone then nights like this was bound to happen.  No big deal.

HoopCoop also brings up a good point about having game film on Lamar.  We'll see how well the coaching staff can start making adjustments now that our opponents know that that shutting down the passing game and forcing turnovers is that way to beat Lamar.

[quote name="theyoungballcoach" post="857611" timestamp="1285464550"]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=73498.msg857444#msg857444 date=1285459971]
[quote author=theyoungballcoach link=topic=73498.msg857341#msg857341 date=1285457361]
THe TV coverage of this game is bush league. We are missing plays. How do you miss the opening kickoff and a kickoff and the first play of the drive.  Get it together please.
[/quote]

Duh.  there are no tv timeouts you moron.
[/quote]

so you telling me because there are no tv timeouts you cant time it to where we can see the opening kickoff.  I guess im a moron
[/quote]

I was at the game and they did take media timeouts.

[quote name="UNLV" post="858701" timestamp="1285549234"]
Everyone stop twisting up words. No one expected LU to win. No one expected
a close game. I did expect LU to play every down.

This game reminded me of a 1980's 30 second Tyson fight. LU took one punch and quit.
[/quote]

Go read the first page, some people expected wins. I expect a team to go out there and play every down.

I don't think this team quit.  They just go wore out. I think SFA had a very good game plan.  You have a team that is not very deep or experienced. So what do you do, you run them like dogs.  You make a young team make decisions on the go and hope for mistakes.  And it worked to perfection.  Lamar's inability to hold on to the ball in the FIRST quarter (FOUR TO) only helped to speed up the process. 

[quote name="tigerband dad" post="858785" timestamp="1285555683"]
[quote author=theyoungballcoach link=topic=73498.msg857611#msg857611 date=1285464550]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=73498.msg857444#msg857444 date=1285459971]
[quote author=theyoungballcoach link=topic=73498.msg857341#msg857341 date=1285457361]
THe TV coverage of this game is bush league. We are missing plays. How do you miss the opening kickoff and a kickoff and the first play of the drive.  Get it together please.
[/quote]

[/quote]

so you telling me because there are no tv timeouts you cant time it to where we can see the opening kickoff.  I guess im a moron
[/quote]

[/quote]
At  least twice it was third down before they came back to the action...I know they have to cover expenses and hopefully make $$$ on the broadcast, but...

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="858652" timestamp="1285545501"]
[font=Courier]Wait now...I said teams had film on Lamar and was laughed off the board. Playing well against McNeese and beating SELA spoiled some fans.

[/font]
[/quote]

I don't remember you being "laughed off the board". I remember stating before the McNeese game that they had film of Coach Whitten's offense and that they run the same 4-2-5 defense as Lamar.

If it wasn't important to study game film coaches wouldn't have to work 6-7 days a week , 12 or more hrs per day.

By breaking down the game film into offensive, defensive and special teams. They study tendencies of the other team. What to expect on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down and the distance for the downs and the plays ran for each down and distance.

When to expect a run or pass blitz, where the other team is inexperienced or weak. I could go on and on but I never laughed about the importance of coaches having game film to study.

Just wanted to clear the air as to what I said before the McNeese game.

Guest ECBucFan
I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. Emotions run high when probable unrealistic expectations are built in (Lamar beating SFA), and then a blowout loss occurs. SFA did nothing wrong. The "[i]running them like dogs[/i]" is simply the SFA style of offense. SFA plays that way in every game, regardless of opponent. SFA pulled the QB in the third, too. Lets be reasonable on this. Coach J.C. Harper has been very complimentary to Lamar in the media.  

Remember, these are young [i]men[/i], not 15-16 year old hs kids. They will be OK. Lamar has a fine coach who will undoubtedly use the SFA game as a teaching point for the Cards. Trying to hate on SFA for the Saturday results is simply misplaced blame.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="859046" timestamp="1285605302"]
[font=Courier]Big Red, it wasn't you....was referring to someone else.

Shouldn't matter with recruiting at all.

heck look at Rice, they still get players...LOL[/font]
[/quote]

Good to know because I know you are very knowledgable about sports since you are a sports editor.  8)

Didn't want you to think I said that about film study because coaches work their butts off.

UNLV:

At first I was kind of stunned by the sheer foolishness of your comment, especially the part in bold, and wondered how you could make such a claim.  But, then, I realized that since you attended UNLV, you are definitely very familiar with an athletic program that embarasses the school, the game, the community, and the fans.  Heck, Jerry Tarkanian and the Runnin' Rebels practically created slimy, modern-day, AAU and Division I basketball.  So, after being at UNLV for a while, you may have a good perspective on embarassing programs.  Thanks for the insight.  Maybe you should take some of the many dollars you are earning with your UNLV degree and create a slush fund like your alma mater used to have back in the day and give it to Coach Woodard, then we won't have to worry about anymore embarassing losses.  Problem solved, the UNLV way. 

In all seriousness, your comments on this and other LU threads are assinine sometimes.  I don't know about any other LU alums or residents of the Triangle, but I sure didn't wake up Sunday morning and questions why I choose to support the university or live here.  It was a very bad loss, but from a start-up program playing their fourth game against the sixth-ranked team in the nation.  Give it a rest.  Maybe they did lay down, but I don't think that is anything out of the ordinary for a new program with most of the players just getting their feet wet in FCS play.  The entire program, coaches and fans included, will grow from this loss and move forward.  And I for one am not going to let a naysayer like you who doesn't even really have a rooting interest in the program dampen my excitement for having football back and Lamar. 
[quote name="UNLV" post="858096" timestamp="1285510157"]
[quote author=the-riot07 link=topic=73498.msg858047#msg858047 date=1285489621]
wow all the bevil haters on here think they know it all...but did the back ups throw any touch downs or break any records or even move the ball? NO so shut up about everything being bevil! You win as a TEAM and lose as a TEAM! the whole team sucked tonight and SFA is very good!
[/quote]I am not a Bevil hater, but he did thrown in the towel. The team and coaches all cowardly threw in the towel. When it
was 50-3, I saw a Lamar player let a SFA player score. Then whole second half LU ran draw plays. LU didn't try to come back. LU
didn't try to score for at least some respect. I thought Jason Garret was playing calling since LU only ran 5 plays the whole game.
I didn't expect LU to win or be a close game, but I did expect them to play hard. They didn't. [b]They embarrassed the school, the community,
the game, and fans.[/b] If you don't want to play football or coach football, GET OFF THE TEAM.
[/quote]

[quote name="coachacola" post="859028" timestamp="1285603696"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=73498.msg859014#msg859014 date=1285602283]
We need to stop making excuses for the quit in the coaches and players or else we will see this same giving up attitude in future games.
[/quote]

What would you do, fire Woodard?  Get over it already.  ::)
[/quote]I wouldn't kiss him on his forehead and say it is ok to quit. Forget about fans wanting to see LU football, just quit anytime.
Let me remind you, SFA scored 33 in less than a full quarter in the 3rd. What was his half time adjustments?  too play possum

What about when that LU player allowed SFA to score. He could have pushed him out at the 4 yard line, and yeah SFA
would have scored anyway, but too just allow a team to score on you. Do you approve of that too?

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="859089" timestamp="1285608367"]
UNLV:

At first I was kind of stunned by the sheer foolishness of your comment, especially the part in bold, and wondered how you could make such a claim.  But, then, I realized that since you attended UNLV, you are definitely very familiar with an athletic program that embarasses the school, the game, the community, and the fans.  Heck, Jerry Tarkanian and the Runnin' Rebels practically created slimy, modern-day, AAU and Division I basketball.  So, after being at UNLV for a while, you may have a good perspective on embarassing programs.  Thanks for the insight.  Maybe you should take some of the many dollars you are earning with your UNLV degree and create a slush fund like your alma mater used to have back in the day and give it to Coach Woodard, then we won't have to worry about anymore embarassing losses.  Problem solved, the UNLV way. 
[/quote]
UNLV can't hold LU's jock when it comes to scandals. Dropping football and the regents getting a big fat pay raise.
The Silver Bowl and Thomas N Mack was always full. LU should learn from UNLV.
[quote]
In all seriousness, your comments on this and other LU threads are assinine sometimes.  I don't know about any other LU alums or residents of the Triangle, but I sure didn't wake up Sunday morning and questions why I choose to support the university or live here.  It was a very bad loss, but from a start-up program playing their fourth game against the sixth-ranked team in the nation.  Give it a rest.  Maybe they did lay down, but I don't think that is anything out of the ordinary for a new program with most of the players just getting their feet wet in FCS play.  The entire program, coaches and fans included, will grow from this loss and move forward.  And I for one am not going to let a naysayer like you who doesn't even really have a rooting interest in the program dampen my excitement for having football back and Lamar. 
[/quote]Fan base does not grow from 71-3 loses. I was there in the stands in the late 70's and 80's, were you? 
LU don't need the community saying 'same ole' Lamar.

Yes, and while we're at it UNLV, let's jump to FBS quickly so we can get away from the caliber of teams that beat us 72-3  ::)

Why don't you go to the team practice tomorrow and let them know your opinions, since you're so strong about them?  I'm more than certain they would love to hear your input in person.  The speed with which you criticize after a loss shows your true character. 

And I have to give you the big LOL @ "the Silver Bowl" always being full.  May want to read up on some attendance figures.  Try not to "cherry pick" this time . . .

[quote name="bigred360" post="858983" timestamp="1285599944"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=73498.msg858652#msg858652 date=1285545501]
[font=Courier]Wait now...I said teams had film on Lamar and was laughed off the board. Playing well against McNeese and beating SELA spoiled some fans.

[/font]
[/quote]

I don't remember you being "laughed off the board". I remember stating before the McNeese game that they had film of Coach Whitten's offense and that they run the same 4-2-5 defense as Lamar.

If it wasn't important to study game film coaches wouldn't have to work 6-7 days a week , 12 or more hrs per day.

By breaking down the game film into offensive, defensive and special teams. They study tendencies of the other team. What to expect on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down and the distance for the downs and the plays ran for each down and distance.

When to expect a run or pass blitz, where the other team is inexperienced or weak. I could go on and on but I never laughed about the importance of coaches having game film to study.

Just wanted to clear the air as to what I said before the McNeese game.
[/quote]

I'm not UNLV's biggest fan...but....LU mailed it in....you want to lose fan support?  Field a team that quits.  First year, tenth year, 100th year...doesnt matter..play every paly.

and all this game film talk...ok, they have game film of our two plays (go route and handoff)...what did Woodward watch?  certtainly wasnt SFA film...

so, boo me, sue me, what the heck..I aint gonna sing kumbaya over what easily coulda been 100+ to 3

Yeah, I can definitely see how you can equate dropping a I-AA program in the late 1980's that was not a playoff contender and didn't draw fans with cheating your way to a National Championship with a dirty coach and players on the take from agents and boosters.  You definitely got me there with that zinger. 

I do agree with you though that the fan base does not get bigger with blowout losses, but not in the fourth game of the program.  If this is happening week after week or into next year, I will be the first to get on here and agree with you.  But the  sky is not falling because of one bad game.  I just don't buy that.  In fact, I don't know that you can fully evaluate Woodard and his staff until the fourth year of play.  Alot of the contributors now are Juco transfers.  I think that was smart, but it is definitely a short-term gain.  You will have to see how his first group of recruits comes together before the book can be written.  It will be bumpy here and there, but I think the ingredients are there to put together a powerhouse FCS program. 

But weren't you one of the people on here a week or two ago saying how they LU should start planning the jump to FBS now? 

[quote name="UNLV" post="859396" timestamp="1285627512"]
[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73498.msg859089#msg859089 date=1285608367]
UNLV:

[/quote]
UNLV can't hold LU's jock when it comes to scandals. Dropping football and the regents getting a big fat pay raise.
The Silver Bowl and Thomas N Mack was always full. LU should learn from UNLV.
[quote]
[/quote]Fan base does not grow from 71-3 loses. I was there in the stands in the late 70's and 80's, were you?   
LU don't need the community saying 'same ole' Lamar.
[/quote]

[font=Courier]Don't know if they actually quit or not, but they went thru the motions that's for sure.

Like when Houston beat Rice last year, 73-14.

At half, it was 59-0. The Owls shut it down, didn't quit, but just went thru the motions.

I believe it starts at the top with the coaches.

Some of you can rip Bevil all you want, but if he's not playing, this team isn't very good.

I expected Lamar to be just 1-3 at this time, but they aren't. I did expect some growing pains like this. But some (well one for sure) is just waiting for the team to do something bad so they can jump on them.
[/font]

[quote name="tigerband dad" post="858785" timestamp="1285555683"]
[quote author=theyoungballcoach link=topic=73498.msg857611#msg857611 date=1285464550]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't see how.  You break away for 2 commercials, come back, and they've already run three plays?  Their media timeouts must have been 30 seconds.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476