I finally figured out why some teams will never win!!! The parents!!!!

SFAJACK02

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Swoosh650" post="846874" timestamp="1284429960"]
I think my old coach said it best when he told one of the parents that was stating their child should start even though he wasn't the best; and I quote "I'll play your child more, the day they quit keeping score!"  About sums it all up!
[/quote]amen brother

[quote name="Swoosh650" post="846874" timestamp="1284429960"]
I think my old coach said it best when he told one of the parents that was stating their child should start even though he wasn't the best; and I quote "I'll play your child more, the day they quit keeping score!"  About sums it all up!
[/quote]
;D  Thats one to remember.

All I know is I get more offended when the coach is yelling at my son than he does.  He says it motivates him....  and that if the coach didn't yell then how is he gonna hear him??? LOL  So since I dont make a big deal about it he doesnt either.  The only thing that he complains about is a coach that just yells to be yelling and doesnt say anything helpful.  The kids know what coaches know what they are talking about and what coaches are just there cause they have to be.  Case in point a certain coach from CO Wilson Middle School who has ripped a new one in each and every boy that has ever played for him and the boys LOVE him.  He knows how to yell and correct them and he knows how to praise them.  The boys have nothing but complete respect for him.  Anyone who has went thru CO knows who I am talking about and knows how those boys are completely devoted to  him and he yells like no other.     

[quote name="bleed orange" post="845759" timestamp="1284336782"]
My head hurts from reading all this. Pretty much want to puke from reading some of these post. By the way I am "Old School" pretty much tells you the post that makes me want to puke. Some of these post sounds like they were wrote by woman or Liberals. ;D ;D
[/quote]

Women ?,  :o give us a break Orange, we're not all that bad!

Too bad that some think the coach is the problem. I'm not saying that there might not be bad coaches, but if you want to know what it's like, try coaching anything for awhile.
Some coaches scream some coaches don’t, and I do believe that different kids do better under different types of encouragement and/or disciple, and a great coach will know which one works best. You play the game with the coach who has given his/her time and energy to be there, you do what he/she wants, you may not always like it but you get over it!

As for being a Parent, when my son is in my house he is my baby, but when he hits the door it's all on him. At his age, if he can't explain to his coach what he wants and thinks, and if he has the ability but can’t earn it, he isn't gonna get it, and if that is the case then maybe I haven't done such a great job.
I KNOW that if I went to the coach on my sons behalf, the person my son is gonna be PO'd at is me.
And, if he doesn’t have the ability, I need to encourage him to move on to something he can do.
But then, some kids have more heart than ability. Always love to see them in the game! But the coaches will know who those kids are.

The only time I feel the parents should have the say so is when it comes to our kid’s health and safety.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="HI_#20_Mom" post="847199" timestamp="1284479413"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=72842.msg845759#msg845759 date=1284336782]
My head hurts from reading all this. Pretty much want to puke from reading some of these post. By the way I am "Old School" pretty much tells you the post that makes me want to puke. Some of these post sounds like they were wrote by woman or Liberals. ;D ;D
[/quote]

Too bad that some think the coach is the problem. I'm not saying that there might not be bad coaches, but if you want to know what it's like, try coaching anything for awhile.
Some coaches scream some coaches don’t, and I do believe that different kids do better under different types of encouragement and/or disciple, and a great coach will know which one works best. You play the game with the coach who has given his/her time and energy to be there, you do what he/she wants, you may not always like it but you get over it!

As for being a Parent, when my son is in my house he is my baby, but when he hits the door it's all on him. At his age, if he can't explain to his coach what he wants and thinks, and if he has the ability but can’t earn it, he isn't gonna get it, and if that is the case then maybe I haven't done such a great job.
I KNOW that if I went to the coach on my sons behalf, the person my son is gonna be PO'd at is me.
And, if he doesn’t have the ability, I need to encourage him to move on to something he can do.
But then, some kids have more heart than ability. Always love to see them in the game! But the coaches will know who those kids are.

The only time I feel the parents should have the say so is when it comes to our kid’s health and safety.

[/quote]

I Know "Mom", not all of you are bad. I have been married to a wonderful woman for 27 years. By the way , I like your last post. I was waiting for someone to call me out on that remark. LOL!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="magnus1on1" post="844909" timestamp="1284247326"]
[quote author=SFAJACK02 link=topic=72842.msg844547#msg844547 date=1284224319]
Any thoughts!! If you kid is not good he SHOULD be benched no questions. Let the coaches coach!!!
[/quote]

I say if the kids come to practice and bust their humps then they should play.. they are just as much of the team as any other player!!!!
[/quote]

When I was in Jr. High I practiced just as hard as everyone else but didn't get much playing time.  I didn't sit around and pout.  I started working hard and not just at the school.  When I got home I would do homework and then go outside and play basketball.  I wanted to play and I knew the only way I would be able to play was to work harder than anyone else.  By my junior year I was starting on varsity.  When I went to college I found myself back on the bench my freshman year.  Since my coaches at the Jr. High and High School level didn't play me just because I showed up to practice every day I knew what it took to get off the bench.  Halfway through my 2nd year in college I earned more playing time and I started as a junior.  

The point I'm trying to make is that kids need to learn we don't always get what we want just because we show up.  I thank God every day that my coaches were hard on me.  I learned how to dig deep and find the strength I needed to succeed.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="847305" timestamp="1284485676"]
[quote author=HI_#20_Mom link=topic=72842.msg847199#msg847199 date=1284479413]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=72842.msg845759#msg845759 date=1284336782]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I Know "Mom", not all of you are bad. I have been married to a wonderful woman for 27 years. By the way , I like your last post. I was waiting for someone to call me out on that remark. LOL!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

and I've prayed for that wonderful woman for 27 years :) ha!!

I am a mom and I yell.  My son knows he will get yelled at, some coaches are just yellers, some yell with reason. he also knows, I'll say good job when its appropritae and what the ?/?// were you thinking when it isn't.  As mom I am also there when he needs me to be just mom.   Parents can get in the way if that coach/AD etc allows it to be a problem. Most of the time it is not a problem, and there is always a parent that has something to say to the caoch about playing time.  

[quote name="bleed orange" post="847305" timestamp="1284485676"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

ahahaha.
I figured some were wondering; how long was it going take for me to bite!   :D :D :D

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="skyhcky" post="847325" timestamp="1284486380"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=72842.msg847305#msg847305 date=1284485676]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

and I've prayed for that wonderful woman for 27 years :) ha!!

[/quote]

Funny Sky. Saw that one coming. ;D ;D

In my experience it's kind of like a job. I've seen coaches try to teach kids year after year and some just can't get it. Then they show another kid who never has played the position and he gets it right away. If you hire somebody for a job you want the person who learns it quicker and can get the job done. If you can't learn the job after it has been shown to you over and over again who do you think will get the job? Exactly! The parents should stay out of it and if your son can't play well that's life get used to it. You can complain to the coach that your son doesn't play all you want it doesn't help. It's not youth football anymore and in High School it's about winning I don't care what you say. It's not the coaches fault, especially if you have a school with a winning tradition.  I'm not going to tell a coach who has taken his team to playoffs and won numerous state championships who to play and who not to. Stop trying to be coaches parents!

I learned many great life lessons because of football. Things are not always easy and you do not always get your way. I have no problem when the coaches yell at my son. I would think if they did not see potential in him doing a better job they probably would not have much to say. Football is not for everyone. it is violent, and a game of emotions. Yes coaches yell, players yell (and some parents yell too much). like i said it is a game of emotions. But it also teaches many life lessons. Yes the best should play, there is nothing wrong if you sit the bench, hopefully it will make you work harder. Kids mature at different ages, but I promise you that a coach will play a kid that is borderline if he or she works harder than everyone else, If that young person works hard during the summer running and lifting weights at there school they will be noticed by there coaches and given more consideration. In life there will be smarter people, people that work harder than everyone else, and yes the best should get the promotions, the people that work the hardest should be paid more. Not just because you show up and are part of the team. And yes you will also learn that life is not always fair, and hopefully you also learn that even though life is not always fair it will make you work twice as hard as the other guy because you are a football player.

[quote name="Westside" post="847439" timestamp="1284492873"]
In my experience it's kind of like a job. I've seen coaches try to teach kids year after year and some just can't get it. Then they show another kid who never has played the position and he gets it right away. If you hire somebody for a job you want the person who learns it quicker and can get the job done. If you can't learn the job after it has been shown to you over and over again who do you think will get the job? Exactly! The parents should stay out of it and if your son can't play well that's life get used to it. You can complain to the coach that your son doesn't play all you want it doesn't help. It's not youth football anymore and in High School it's about winning I don't care what you say. It's not the coaches fault, especially if you have a school with a winning tradition.  I'm not going to tell a coach who has taken his team to playoffs and won numerous state championships who to play and who not to. Stop trying to be coaches parents!
[/quote]

after a year or 2 of not winning, the head coach might consider looking for another job because he may end up losing it...
when i played, the coach always said that the best 11 will play, no matter what, because he was going to be a man and support his family and no one would ever take the bread off their table...

One of the last comments caught my eye...the "veteran" versus "rookie" comment.  As I have said before, I coached Pop Warner.  However, I can't, and never will hold a candle to folks like the head coaches and assistant coaches who make a living at it.  My job was fundamentals..."Listen to your coach, try your best, in flag, we block like this, don't move till the ball gets hiked, etc..."  Y'all get the point.  As a volunteer coach, and as a parent, I never considered my "expertise" to be anywhere close to the high school coaches.  Yet, more and more I see "specialized kids" who are "beasts" and "pro material" at least in their parents and families' eyes.  These "robo-parents" are in the parking lot after the game, expecting a coach who has close to 100 kids to coach, to do the same thing their "special coach", who they pay $100.00 an hour to, does for little Johnny. 

What happens is a kid develops certain habits that are part of that special coach's repetoire.  Things that may have worked for others, but don't quite work for Johnny, yet the parents think that he can do no wrong.  A high school coach gets this kid, and instead of adapting to the team, the parents expect the team to adapt to Johnny.  The same thing can happen to a parent who was a "beast" in high school or even college.  He teaches little Johnny "his" way of doing things, and if the coach says otherwise, the coach is wrong.  What you get is a VERY confused young man.  A young man who can't adapt, because doing so would hurt dad or mom, who either paid big bucks, or are so self centered that any other way of doing things is wrong... 

[quote name="elhector1" post="847499" timestamp="1284496743"]
One of the last comments caught my eye...the "veteran" versus "rookie" comment.  As I have said before, I coached Pop Warner.  However, I can't, and never will hold a candle to folks like the head coaches and assistant coaches who make a living at it.  My job was fundamentals..."Listen to your coach, try your best, in flag, we block like this, don't move till the ball gets hiked, etc..."  Y'all get the point.  As a volunteer coach, and as a parent, I never considered my "expertise" to be anywhere close to the high school coaches.  Yet, more and more I see "specialized kids" who are "beasts" and "pro material" at least in their parents and families' eyes.  These "robo-parents" are in the parking lot after the game, expecting a coach who has close to 100 kids to coach, to do the same thing their "special coach", who they pay $100.00 an hour to, does for little Johnny. 

What happens is a kid develops certain habits that are part of that special coach's repetoire.  Things that may have worked for others, but don't quite work for Johnny, yet the parents think that he can do no wrong.  A high school coach gets this kid, and instead of adapting to the team, the parents expect the team to adapt to Johnny.  The same thing can happen to a parent who was a "beast" in high school or even college.  He teaches little Johnny "his" way of doing things, and if the coach says otherwise, the coach is wrong.  What you get is a VERY confused young man.  A young man who can't adapt, because doing so would hurt dad or mom, who either paid big bucks, or are so self centered that any other way of doing things is wrong...   
[/quote]

Great post....

I teach my kid to adapt.......in sports or the classroom......Do whatever is asked and do it better than anyone else!

I have stayed out of this for a week but enough is enough. I dont know how it works in the 4a and 5a schools but in the smaller schools it is there.Politics deffinetly play a part in who playes and who does not. I Had a coach come to coach my oldest son and when he got here he told all the kids that were telling him how they played the year before, Dont tell me how you play show me. I thought great, but when the jerrseys for V were handed out there was a 10 greader with a shirt?? The only prob was the kid had had a broken arm the intire preseason. The Only thing this kid had shown was his last name was the same as the schoolboard Pres.  But that to is a part of life. It happens everday in the real world. So all you can tell your child is to work harder at the things that realy mean the most, Being a good student and a good person and the rest will work itself out.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="847581" timestamp="1284502363"]
Time for a thread intermission and summary of most of the previous post thus far.  If you have just joined in on this 10 page document, you may want to start with this fram of mind.

In SGTREYEs Ron White Voice---Yo cant fix El-Stupido.
[/quote]

LMBO @ WeedBeGone.. :D

Guest bleed orange
True Blue and Tracker both of you made good comments. I respect both. Politics have been around for a long time. Parents complaining has been around for a long time. Worse now than ever. Here is the deal, If parents would let their kids fight their own battles then it is a win/win situation for the parents and the kids. We won in high school but that is not the lessons I learned. I learned from my coaches and my parents that life is not always easy. That team work and self discipline are the keys to success. Winning was the icing on the cake.

Being a good athlete in high school did not get me where I am today. The lessons that my parents, coaches and teachers DID and for that athlete who had heart but did not play that much, they learned a lesson too. No matter what they was part of a "TEAM" and they are a better person for that. We live in a "Me" world. I like the term "Team" better. Until the large companies get back to the "team" concept America will struggle and only get worse. NFL is a good example. All professional sports are. Sorry if I pissed anybody off but I will never back down from my beliefs.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="847581" timestamp="1284502363"]
Time for a thread intermission and summary of most of the previous post thus far.  If you have just joined in on this 10 page document, you may want to start with this fram of mind.

[/quote]
You are correcto!

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="SgtRey" post="847701" timestamp="1284515291"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=72842.msg847581#msg847581 date=1284502363]

[/quote]
You are correcto!
[/quote]

Not just yet sarg, I am on a mission.  ;D ;D

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="elhector1" post="847499" timestamp="1284496743"]

[/quote]

Awesome post.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476