La Porte at Baytown Lee Game Thread/Post updates here!

WOSgrad

If they don't come to grips with the fact thy they need to change qbs then lee is in for a long season. This guy just isn't a qb.  Maybe he could play tight end or something with his size but he doesn't have a qb bone in his body. Lee gave up on this game. Punting on 4th and short two different times to change the field position by 12 yards lol. Coach is already got his mind on labor day weekend. LP 23-0

Just made it home.

Let me first say that Lee was completely outmanned by the Bulldogs.
LP was too big across the front and could have just qb sneaked it every play and scored 40.

Lee needs to put Zellars in the game at qb once he is healthy.
That's all I will say about that.

Lee played scared in this one.  The team took on the personality of the coach.  Once coach decided to mail it in by punting on the two fourth and shorts(for a net 12 yards on each), the team recognized that he had given up, so they decided to do the same.

Lee couldn't stop LP if LP qb sneaked it every single play.  That part is certain.
However, Lee should have been able to move the ball on LP.  They did in certain spurts, but they just don't have the consistency or athleticism they need at the qb position.

Once Zellars is healthy, there should at least be a chance given to him to see how well he can perform under the bright lights.  The team deserves that at least. 
The team was without Zellars and Landry tonight, but that wouldn't have helped stop LP.
I still think Lee can be a playoff team once those two get healthy and Zellars takes over at qb.
If he remains at wr, then they may be on the outside loooking in.

I agree with you on much of what you said Panamamyers. Lee does have a QB issue..the kid just look like he is comfortable with being a leaf on the river. I never saw him take control of the situation. he's a big kid, but the horsepower dont match the vehicle. 

Im an olineman at heart so i watched it. Lee's oline was outplayed by the front line of LP defense but i think most of it was just simple assignment.  Lp Oline proved that if you just get a hat-on-a-hat things can happen with aware running back.  I saw the weakness in the LP offense...when we run an outside zone the size of the oline can be beaten by a.) an dline that knows how to contact,read,seperate and then get to the ball or b.) simply using pure spead to beat them to the point.  there was plenty of times where the backside of the LP blocking was outside-in on a dlineman, but the dlineman didnt seperate from the blocker just chose to stay stuck the LP blocker. i hope our oline can fix that before we hit quicker defences.

Lee played a very conservative offensive play calling.  i expected them to open it up and stretch the defense out but all i saw was 5 yrd routes. LP did have a good blitz package by dropping the outside linebacker (sutherland) in the 5 technique at the snap of the ball. and filling the gap with running blitzs. 

As last week, Poor angles by the Lee defense allowed more yards after contact...must wrap up and get to the ball. LP played a constant game of gang tackling.

i think Lee will have it figured out by district. I hope Lee kids use this game as a measuring stick in the sense of "this is low as we WILL go."  i hope LP doesnt get distracted by the wins...this win is THIS WEEK'S WIN...you have 8 more guaranteed games. Play each one like its a play off game. We have klein forest next week. i know htey are without their QB but that should mean we need to step up our game, neccessity is a great motivator.

Lee has a TecmoBowl scheme, for anyone who used to play that game.
We have one run and three passes from which to choose.
On defense it's even worse.  There is no scheme on defense.  Just line up the same way every time and hope your man beats the other man and makes a play.  That doesn't work so well when your d-line and linebackers average 180 and their offensive line averages 300.  You can't just expect to fire off the ball and blow them into the backfield.  Have to actually orchestrate a defensive scheme.

You are exactly right about being too conservative LP.
I kept telling my wife that they are just throwing too many little dump off passes.  They scored most of their points last year on the deep ball to Richardson.
When they did finally decide to go deep, it was just a half-hearted pass on a 4th down and another half-hearted pass that the safety easily came over and intercepted.
It's almost as if they are generally satisfied with using Richardson as a decoy.  He ended up with 6 catches for 100 yards and a td.
He's really not playing defense any more this year.  He's an in-shape 17 year old kid for goodness sake.  Feed the kid the ball.  I would throw it to him 25 times a game if I was coach.

The qb situation reminds me of a few years back when Olin started the season off with Barry Laird at qb.  Laird looked the part.  He was 6'4" 22o, could run, hum the ball around...
Problem was, he just wasn't a qb. 
We have the same issue now.  This kid has been pigeon-holed into playing qb because he has an arm and is tall.  He's simply not a qb.
Olin figured out his mistake and moved Jeremy Moses into the starting lineup and let Laird play tight end, which ended up getting Laird a scholarship to UH.
If Sedberry has an ounce of football sense in him, he has to let Zellars get a crack at it.
The qb play is so suspect at this point that the only reason you wouldn't let Zellars get in there is if you were worried how much better he would be and you simply don't want to change qb's for personal pride reasons.
Sometimes it's tough to admit as a head coach that you made the wrong decision.  (See Gary Kubiak with Orlovsky)

Look at what LP has done with their qb situation.  Their qb this year is light years better than last year's qb because he is a much better athlete.  There is a lot to be said for having an extremely good athlete at qb.

And yes 82 5A, LP will be tough to beat this year.  They are way better than they were last year, and last year they worked over PAM in the playoffs.
The LP defense is still suspect against speedy receivers, but they are pretty tough to run on and they get pressure on the qb.

Well, by the time WB plays LP, we will have seen some of the best in the state.....Katy, Tyler Lee, PA Memorial, ans North Shore. I agree that they appear to be a better team from last year, but I think WB will be fine against them. Hopefully we will make it through the season without getting too banged up and can give them a good game.

[quote name="LP0175" post="838763" timestamp="1283614696"]
i can easily see a 1-loss district champ. i like our district's odds against 22-5A! Deer Park and Memorial are the only ones able to compete with our teams.
[/quote]
I agree.  If anyone in our district stays undefeated in district play, they'll have earned it well. 
Go Bruins!  ;D

Panamamyers, Keep fighting for those Ganders. It was tough for me to see the attendence on the Gander sideline. i havent been to a Lee game since 2000 so i was shocked to see the attendence on the Lee sideline. I admire your commitment to the team b/c i will still attend every LP game i can win or lose.  I plan on coming to the Lee game on a saturday, put my 6 dollars and concession purchases to good use. Maybe we can sit at the game and talk some gridiron.

Again, exactly right about the attendance.
I actually sit on the away side, so I can't say too much ;D

However, it is getting pretty bad over there.  I was telling my wife that when I would go with my parents, we would sit at the 50, right below the press box, and there would be the usual suspects in their usual season ticket spots week after week.  I'm not even sure if they sell season tickets any more.  There were probably 200 people in the reserved seat section.  It used to be THE thing to do on a Friday night in Baytown.

I live in Missouri City now, so it's a one hour drive for me to get to Stallworth.  That is a lot of driving on a Friday night, and it seems like even longer on the way home from a 50 point whooping.

Lee was about in this same spot back when Olin first got there in 1992.  They were a bad team.  They had maybe 9 seniors.  He went 0-10 in his first year, then 5-5, then beat Eisenhower in the playoffs in his 3rd year.

The difference being that Olin was a good developer of quarterbacks and had an offensive mind.  The rest of the state has since caught up with Olin's passing game, but back then it was something you didn't see a lot.  Olin put in sophomore Jermaine Alfred that first year and let him take his lumps.  He got a little better that next year, then Lee was rolling by his senior year.  We had other options, could have kept Alfred on the sidelines, but what was the point?  Olin knew we weren't going to be good anyways that first year or two. 

Sedberry seems like a nice guy.  He seems like someone that the players want to play for, but he just needs to surround himself with coaches that understand football. 

Zellars is a sophomore.  Lee's entire team is composed of mainly sophomores and juniors.  Just put him in there and build for the future.

We can try to meet up one of these days if you like, but I might not be the most fun person to be around if and when Lee is getting rolled. lol

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder