Griffin leaves GCM for Barbers Hill

Griffin leaves GCM for Barbers Hill
By Nathan Hague
The Baytown Sun
Published July 7, 2010
Former Goose Creek Memorial offensive line coach Buddy Griffin recently left the school for Barbers Hill High School where he’ll coach the Eagles’ offensive line.

“The main reason it intrigued me was the fact they’re running a triple option type of offense,” Griffin said. “That’s the offense I’ve always been associated with, so that’s the main reason, and the fact is that it’s a good chance to work with coach (Ronnie) Gage. He’s a great coach.”

Griffin hadn’t worked with Gage in the past but he knows people that have and he said he looks forward to the opportunity.

“We’ve had a lot of the same acquaintances from the past that shared their experiences,” he said. “Some of the people I‘ve worked with knew him very well, and that was part of the connection.”

Griffin hasn’t had the chance to meet all of his newplayers yet, but says he knows enough about them that it gets him excited about coaching the Eagles.

“I really haven’t had a chance to see all of them at this point,” he said. “The fact that they have all been through spring ball together gives them a jumpstart. I’m really excited about this new opportunity.”

Griffin was at Goose Creek Memorial in its first two years of existence, and said the decision to leave was a tough one to make.

“I think any time you have the opportunity of coaching, the experiences you gain continue to help you grow as coach,” he said. “I’ve enjoyed every opportunity I’ve had coaching with Coach (Bret) Boyd. He’s running a great program and it was a great opportunity to come in and start new with him.

“It was a difficult decision, but I felt like it was a good move at this time, especially with the options in front of me.”

Although he will be working in Mont Belvieu, Griffin will still reside in Baytown.

Apart from coaching, he will also teach history at Barbers Hill.

Guest GCMPats
Probably more money, but not much more.
He's going to need that extra money to buy a ticket to watch the playoffs because that's the only way he'll see them this year.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="816859" timestamp="1278621806"]
Probably more money, but not much more.
He's going to need that extra money to buy a ticket to watch the playoffs because that's the only way he'll see them this year.
[/quote]

He must be getting alot more money... since this years score will be GCM 28 - BH 7.

Guest GCMPats
BH's o-line coach from last year, Clint Riley, was not asked to be on Gage's staff. He has since been hired at Channelview.

Riley was a long time assistant at REL and was very effective in the "run and shoot" style of offense with Dick Olin.

• 2 weeks later...
Before coming to the Houston area Coach Griffin was at Italy High School.  It is a small 1A high school.  They went 0-10 in either his last or second to last year there.  There was so much trouble they changed offenses 3 times in the first 5 games one year.  They settled with a nasty slot formation that you could run a triple option out of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    geho
    Newest Member
    geho