i will ask you this

skipper

what type of defence do u use agnest the split back veer i do belive that is what silsbee runs . i do belive the tigers had a off night friday it should be one of the best games in the state i dont think wo-s will run wild in this one so the mustangs better be ready to play some hard nose football good luck to both teams friday

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this might help coach' date='

[img']http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/images/defense_092898.jpg

I might would put the d-ends out on the outside shoulder .if they take it to the strong side all they have to do is pitch off the strong safety and no one else is there..On the weak side you have the LB taking the pitch man and then the Free safety will come up and make the play.

Just my opinion

There isn't a certain defense to run against a a veer offense. Whatever the teams normal, you just have to play assignment defense.... read and react. The first thing to cover will be the dive... usually the DT and backside LB have this responsibility. Then you have the QB this is the DE and playside LB responsibility- the faster you can make the QB pitch the better you are, it just turns into a sweep then. The QB is what makes this offense effective. That leaves the CB an S for the pitch man.

The game I saw with Silsbee they didn't give it to the dive man or pitch the ball much at all. The QB was the primary play maker, again must get after him early and make him pitch the ball.

The problem is you can't defend the split veer very effectively. The QB has three options. If he makes the reads correctly its a very hard offense to stop, but Silsbee doesn't run the veer. They run the IF YOU DON'T MAKE ME HAND OFF UP THE MIDDLE THEN I'M GOING TO KEEP IT OFFENSE, and to this point its been pretty easy to defend. We the fans are still hoping that someone will tell them THERE IS NO I in TEAM. If they figure this out at some point and start playing for each other instead of for themselves great things will happen, and THE SILBEE TIGERS will be a very hard team to stop!!!!!

Guest maverick24

Lumberton played a scrimmage with Silsbee and what I read before is correct. I don't know the #'s now but in that game the QB kept the ball about 86% of the time. I don't know how often he pitches the ball now. The Off. they ran against lumberton was nothing It was QB Right QB Left. Just key the on the QB!!!!!!!!!

That is so great!!! The friggin' fans even know what kind of offense we run. The QB's name is Harper. If he can read a defense then I am Mary Poppins. He holds the ball to long when making the read on the DE, this causes alot of the fumbles. Trying to pull the ball back out way to late, pitch man already out of pitch sequence and then he is forced to take it himself, which I am sure doesn'thurt his feelings.

Now....

He is an excellent athlete with great instincts in the open field, but he cannot out fight three guys when they get on him. More fumbles.

We do not run the veer correct, there should be OPTIONS!!!!!!

Pitch, sweep dive, tight end passes, slants, draws, etc... ALl this was in the veer option 30 years ago and somehow Silsbee coaches have forgot how to run them. If the fast QB cannot runt he veer, then put a slow QB in who can recognize the reads.....

Pathetic. WOS has got to be loving this.....

The problem is you can't defend the split veer very effectively. The QB has three options. If he makes the reads correctly its a very hard offense to stop' date=' but Silsbee doesn't run the veer. They run the IF YOU DON'T MAKE ME HAND OFF UP THE MIDDLE THEN I'M GOING TO KEEP IT OFFENSE, and to this point its been pretty easy to defend. We the fans are still hoping that someone will tell them [b']THERE IS NO I in TEAM. If they figure this out at some point and start playing for each other instead of for themselves great things will happen, and THE SILBEE TIGERS will be a very hard team to stop!!!!!

That is so great!!! The friggin' fans even know what kind of offense we run. The QB's name is Harper. If he can read a defense then I am Mary Poppins. He holds the ball to long when making the read on the DE' date=' this causes alot of the fumbles. Trying to pull the ball back out way to late, pitch man already out of pitch sequence and then he is forced to take it himself, which I am sure doesn'thurt his feelings.

Now....

He is an excellent athlete with great instincts in the open field, but he cannot out fight three guys when they get on him. More fumbles.

We do not run the veer correct, there should be OPTIONS!!!!!!

Pitch, sweep dive, tight end passes, slants, draws, etc... ALl this was in the veer option 30 years ago and somehow Silsbee coaches have forgot how to run them. If the fast QB cannot runt he veer, then put a slow QB in who can recognize the reads.....

Pathetic. WOS has got to be loving this.....[/quote']

You sure you two guys are not Barbers Hill fans?

I stated these same obvious problems before the season even got started. Then it became a family affair, and my post got deleted. With the coaching we have we will NEVER be considered a contender amoung TOP teams.

We DO have great athletes, and can play with anyone.........but we will ALWAYS be sucking wind to the better coached teams.

GO TIGERS.......maybe our kids can just play with enough heart to pull this one out!

Guest Silsbee88

A correctly executed veer offense take the right athletes. I also takes experience. I believe Silsbee has the right athletes, but does not have a QB with the experience executing the veer. If this kid had been given the opportunity and practice I think he would be the kid to run this offense. This offense takes alot of communicaton between the dive back and QB first and this is where most of the problems have been in the past (with fumbles). I think that Silsbee is getting close to working out the problems. As for some of the comments about the QB keeping the ball, if it works....... We will find out what kind of O Silsbee has this week. I think that the D has gotten alot better. Don't look for WOS to run all over this D. I should be a GREAT GAME. :)

sticky wrote :

You sure you two guys are not Barbers Hill fans?

Not me baby!!! I'm with the Tigers to the end!!!! It is frustrating to watch though. The Tigers have managed to win thus far on atheleticism alone, because there is no team work. Blaming it on coaching is the easy way out, and I'm not going there. The Tiger players need to ask themselves whats more important - seeing their name in the Saturday paper or a 3A State Championship in 2006 which they are capable of, but its going to take Teamwork, Dedication, Determination, Execution, and last but not least TEAMWORK!!!!!

And so my fellow Tigers, ask not what your team can do far you; ask what you can do far your team!!!!

Silsbee88 wrote:

If this kid had been given the opportunity and practice I think he would be the kid to run this offense.

SNAP!!! We are now in week seven!!! How many practices and opportunities does he need??? Don't get me wrong here. Its not only the QB, but the team as a whole that disappoints me. Offense as well as defense. I know they are a better team than they've shown thus far, but their not playing to win, their playing not to loose!!!!

Guest Silsbee88

OK, he has had 7 games, and as I stated before it takes athletes and experience to run the veer effectively. The one drawback to running a veer is turnovers! If I am correct and I think I am, this kid has never been a QB before this year. I know that he came in at the end of last season against Palestine and started this year. But this is his first year under center.

I do not disagree that Silsbee is looking not looking to WIN but NOT TO LOSE.

again coaching.........why have a kid play QB in Jr High....Fresh....JV and NOT be the starting QB come varsity (Moss kid)..........this problem starts WAY before the team we're discussing.........it's called building a PROGRAM! and that starts way before they reach varsity.........so why has he ONLY had seven games. it should be more like 6 years. Oh, maybe because we put to much emphaisis on winning at the sub-varsity level rather than prepare for the years that really count.

before you say it..........because we haven't ran the veer for 6 years.......well what the.........may as well change coaches every year if we are going to change offenses equally as often........put in a sysytem and teach it front start to finish.......

Guest Silsbee88

I just had this same conversation last week. The problem that Silsbee has is that there has not been a program built to follow these kids through. There is not enough instruction at the lower levels to prepare these kids for the varsity level. BUILD A PROGRAM and Silsbee will be very competitive for years.

I just had this same conversation last week. The problem that Silsbee has is that there has not been a program built to follow these kids through. There is not enough instruction at the lower levels to prepare these kids for the varsity level. BUILD A PROGRAM and Silsbee will be very competitive for years.

The Jr high kids win every year(8th grade)! They lost 2 games last year and have lost only one this year (8th grade). Tigers12 play nice now!

Guest Silsbee88

Build a coaching staff (instead of brother-in lawing the good old boys from Silsbee' date=' that daddy's did something)........and it might be possible. God knows we've had the athletes!

And heck, they ALMOST hired another one........ :x

GO TIGERS![/quote']

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE......

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder