Pitching coach in Mid-County

[quote name="Bulldog Dad" post="803680" timestamp="1274367601"]
I'm looking for a pitching coach for my 10 year old in the Mid-County area.... any suggestions?
[/quote]

Just send him next door...lol.  Seriously all of the coaches mentioned are good and no one is better than the next.  You need to visit the various coaches and make sure you buy in to their program.  Some use weighted balls and other stress long toss......also each has a different way of dealing with players...most will let you come and try their program out so find the one that can build the rapport with your kid to get the most out of him.  At 10, he needs to enjoy it or he may lose interest.

Obviously i'm biased, but Jeff Moye does an outstanding job.  Anyone that played professional baseball (at any level) is going to be well trained.

I have always made my opinion very clear on the weighted balls & even asked numerous Major League pitchers & pitching coaches.  They are a Tommy John surgery waiting to happen.  Will they strengthen your arm? sure, but at a high risk of injury.  You can achieve the same results with tubing and other arm excercises.  You will not find a professional organization that endorses weighted balls and in my 12 year professional career, I have never seen one guy throwing them.   

Jason Tyner
[email protected]

Didn't want to start a debate on weighted balls.  I'm not a fan of them either.  That's been hashed and rehashed a number of times on here and nothing has been resolved.  Those that believe in them are not swayed nor are those who oppose them.  My point was simply to suggest that a parent, due to the large number philosophies and styles out there,  should explore all options, and find the best fit for your player because coahing is not a one-size fits all especially when younger kids are involved. 

There is a reason, no Major League team uses them.  Yes, i'm sure there are a few Major Leaguers that use them.  Scott Kazmir is a name that commonly comes up.  He is a grown man, that trains everyday to be able to go out and throw his 90 pitches a week.  Not to mention, he has had very few injury free seasons.  You can not compare the body of a grown adult, to the bodies of high school kids and younger.  Weighted balls are dangerous for adults with good mechanics which is why these teams that pay these guys money to be healthy don't endorse them.  Mixing weighted balls, with poor mechanics, to many pitches & still developing bodies is a Tommy John surgery waiting to happen.  Tubing and long toss can accomplish the same results.

Recovery time for Tommy John to be anywhere near 100% is 2 years.

This may not be the right forum for this post but I just ran across this article on the internet by Dick Mills a pitching instructor and former MLB pitcher and thought I would share it.  I found it very interesting as he explains that creating arm strength (being bigger and stronger) is not the key to developing velocity but rather proper mechanics coupled with faster more explosive movement is the key. 

I have never heard someone subscribe to this school of thinking.  I realize he is trying to sell his training program but his take on increasing pitching velocity is different from convetional wisdom.

http://www.baseballjournal.com/news/2010/01/04_improve.php

• 2 weeks later...
The previous post about "conventional wisdom" got me to thinking and wondering to myself, if weighted balls or the use of weighted balls is bad how come every quarterback in the world is not a "Tommy John surgery waiting to happen"? I'm not trying to stir anyone up or re-hash the debate, just thinking out loud. I was under the impression that Nolan Ryans pitching coach (Tom House) while at the Texas Rangers was big into his guys throwing a football for strength, recovery and flexibilty. Last time I looked a football weighs more than a baseball. I will however say that guys who have been in the bigs know way more about the subject than I do and I am in no way trying to discount what they say. Just trying to offer up another way to look at a subject.

Respectfully,
Rake1

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833