More than 80 apply for Hamshire-Fannett coach

[quote name="fisherking" post="781631" timestamp="1269489489"]
[quote author=True Blue Mom link=topic=67443.msg781330#msg781330 date=1269448366]
And a great coach is adept at realistically assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the players and opponents then capitalizing on them.   Not so great coaches try to put a square peg in a round hole and wonder why it doesn't work.
[/quote]

Well what do you do if you have no pegs square or round but still alot of holes to fill??
[/quote]
Duct tape: fixes all of life's little problems, especially small holes.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="horndawg" post="781635" timestamp="1269491888"]
[quote author=fisherking link=topic=67443.msg781631#msg781631 date=1269489489]
[quote author=True Blue Mom link=topic=67443.msg781330#msg781330 date=1269448366]
And a great coach is adept at realistically assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the players and opponents then capitalizing on them.   Not so great coaches try to put a square peg in a round hole and wonder why it doesn't work.
[/quote]

Well what do you do if you have no pegs square or round but still alot of holes to fill??
[/quote]
[/quote]Ain't enough duct tape to fix the holes in football for a few years

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="781637" timestamp="1269493808"]
[quote author=horndawg link=topic=67443.msg781635#msg781635 date=1269491888]
[quote author=fisherking link=topic=67443.msg781631#msg781631 date=1269489489]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]Ain't enough duct tape to fix the holes in football for a few years
They have enough pegs to fill the holes.  Shocking as it may be, Dove, all the talent didn't just land in the current 7th and 8th grade levels.  ;D I'm not saying there isn't talent in those grades, but they certainly don't have a monopoly on it.  [/quote]

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="Jake Sully" post="781673" timestamp="1269522397"]
If this Price guy is the true Tom Landry that everyone says he is, why did he resign from BH?
[/quote]

Three words: politics, politics, politics.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="781745" timestamp="1269527510"]
[quote author=Jake Sully link=topic=67443.msg781673#msg781673 date=1269522397]
If this Price guy is the true Tom Landry that everyone says he is, why did he resign from BH?
[/quote]

Three words: politics, politics, politics.
[/quote]

A little more specific, go on...

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="781727" timestamp="1269526364"]
Da Dove know football talent too. Talent is talent. Talent rise no matter whose coaching. There is a difference between talent and being athletic.  It's easy to blame a coach when talent or athletes don't work to be the best.
[/quote]Talent is different from athletic ability, however, there is talent at other grade levels.  If you have read my posts, I've never placed all or the majority of the responsibility (and I use the word responsibility because it's not blame - everyone has to step up and own their part)  on coaches. 
I've maintained that there are multiple problems, but coaching does figure in the mix.  And yes, coaching can keep even real talent from coming through.  Not enough time or space on this to explain all the ways it does, but it certainly does, and if you know as much about sports as you maintain and have played for enough coaches, you'll know there is truth in what I say. 

[quote name="True Blue Mom" post="781881" timestamp="1269535819"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67443.msg781727#msg781727 date=1269526364]
Da Dove know football talent too. Talent is talent. Talent rise no matter whose coaching. There is a difference between talent and being athletic.  It's easy to blame a coach when talent or athletes don't work to be the best.
[/quote]Talent is different from athletic ability, however, there is talent at other grade levels.  If you have read my posts, I've never placed all or the majority of the responsibility (and I use the word responsibility because it's not blame - everyone has to step up and own their part)  on coaches. 
I've maintained that there are multiple problems, but coaching does figure in the mix.  And yes, coaching can keep even real talent from coming through.  Not enough time or space on this to explain all the ways it does, but it certainly does, and if you know as much about sports as you maintain and have played for enough coaches, you'll know there is truth in what I say.   
[/quote]
The only thing good coaches can do for any athletic program is improve the level of talent of the athletes better, but whether that leads to wins and losses another issues, it is all relative. And the relativity in wins and losses comes from how much talent is there to work with, period. Some coaches succeed and some do not, but with the level of talent I saw this year in two games, no coach would have made a difference in HF, none, and definitely not in less tha, 3 years of time. Coach Price, no matter how good he is will have time to improve HF football in less than 3 years, nor any other coach for that matter unless there is a great deal of talent come in to program immediately.

[quote name="fisherking" post="782060" timestamp="1269563414"]
[quote author=True Blue Mom link=topic=67443.msg781881#msg781881 date=1269535819]
Da Dove know football talent too. Talent is talent. Talent rise no matter whose coaching. There is a difference between talent and being athletic.  It's easy to blame a coach when talent or athletes don't work to be the best.
[/quote]Talent is different from athletic ability, however, there is talent at other grade levels.  If you have read my posts, I've never placed all or the majority of the responsibility (and I use the word responsibility because it's not blame - everyone has to step up and own their part)  on coaches.  
I've maintained that there are multiple problems, but coaching does figure in the mix.  And yes, coaching can keep even real talent from coming through.  Not enough time or space on this to explain all the ways it does, but it certainly does, and if you know as much about sports as you maintain and have played for enough coaches, you'll know there is truth in what I say.  
[/quote]
The only thing good coaches can do for any athletic program is improve the level of talent of the athletes better, but whether that leads to wins and losses another issues, it is all relative. And the relativity in wins and losses comes from how much talent is there to work with, period. Some coaches succeed and some do not, but with the level of talent I saw this year in two games, no coach would have made a difference in HF, none, and definitely not in less tha, 3 years of time. Coach Price, no matter how good he is will have time to improve HF football in less than 3 years, nor any other coach for that matter unless there is a great deal of talent come in to program immediately.
[/quote]

What you just said is true to some degree, but Coach Mangan did not help that team rise to it's full potential. If the enrollment of the football program is at it's lowest in history and everyone is quitting because of the coach, did it ever occur to the coach to think, "Maybe it's me?". In my opinion, a good coach would motivate people not to quit and try to make the number of players on the football team rise instead of decline. The example I like to use is in this situation is Orangefield. Huckaby came to Orangefield and didn't exactly have a perpetually flowing fountain of talent to tap from when need be. However he came in and instilled structure, work ethic, motivation and a system that worked thus making a team with below average talent (no offense to OF they are good kids) become a team that was a contender for a playoff spot. Coach Mangan was never in the weight room with the team, he sat in his office on the computer when the team lifted, and then made a cameo appearance at the end of the athletic period to question the TEAM's work ethic. That doesn't reflect someone who want's to win in my opinion. I'm not trying to bash anyone, I am just stating the facts that anyone from HF would tell you, and it does irritate me when some says that it was impossible for HF to win at least one game last year with talent (or lack there of) this year.

[quote name="Jake Sully" post="782124" timestamp="1269571591"]
[quote author=fisherking link=topic=67443.msg782060#msg782060 date=1269563414]
[quote author=True Blue Mom link=topic=67443.msg781881#msg781881 date=1269535819]
Da Dove know football talent too. Talent is talent. Talent rise no matter whose coaching. There is a difference between talent and being athletic.  It's easy to blame a coach when talent or athletes don't work to be the best.
[/quote]Talent is different from athletic ability, however, there is talent at other grade levels.  If you have read my posts, I've never placed all or the majority of the responsibility (and I use the word responsibility because it's not blame - everyone has to step up and own their part)  on coaches.  
I've maintained that there are multiple problems, but coaching does figure in the mix.  And yes, coaching can keep even real talent from coming through.  Not enough time or space on this to explain all the ways it does, but it certainly does, and if you know as much about sports as you maintain and have played for enough coaches, you'll know there is truth in what I say.  
[/quote]
[/quote]

Huckaby brought talent with him plus Ofield had way more talent than hf

What you just said is true to some degree, but Coach Mangan did not help that team rise to it's full potential. If the enrollment of the football program is at it's lowest in history and everyone is quitting because of the coach, did it ever occur to the coach to think, "Maybe it's me?". In my opinion, a good coach would motivate people not to quit and try to make the number of players on the football team rise instead of decline. The example I like to use is in this situation is Orangefield. Huckaby came to Orangefield and didn't exactly have a perpetually flowing fountain of talent to tap from when need be. However he came in and instilled structure, work ethic, motivation and a system that worked thus making a team with below average talent (no offense to OF they are good kids) become a team that was a contender for a playoff spot. Coach Mangan was never in the weight room with the team, he sat in his office on the computer when the team lifted, and then made a cameo appearance at the end of the athletic period to question the TEAM's work ethic. That doesn't reflect someone who want's to win in my opinion. I'm not trying to bash anyone, I am just stating the facts that anyone from HF would tell you, and it does irritate me when some says that it was impossible for HF to win at least one game last year with talent (or lack there of) this year.
[/quote]

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="782126" timestamp="1269571824"]
[quote author=Jake Sully link=topic=67443.msg782124#msg782124 date=1269571591]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

You are missing the point. Metaphorically speaking, it was almost as if he knew the ship was sinking and instead trying to keep it afloat he just made excuses to why it was sinking. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

[quote name="Jake Sully" post="782130" timestamp="1269572216"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=67443.msg782126#msg782126 date=1269571824]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

You are missing the point. Metaphorically speaking, it was almost as if he knew the ship was sinking and instead trying to keep it afloat he just made excuses to why it was sinking. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
[/quote]

Oh now I get it instead of bailing water he was sending up signal flares...instead of patching sails he was putting on a life jacket...instead of mending holes he was throwing extra weight over board.. instead of...well yea I get it

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="782138" timestamp="1269573017"]
[quote author=Jake Sully link=topic=67443.msg782130#msg782130 date=1269572216]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=67443.msg782126#msg782126 date=1269571824]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh now I get it instead of bailing water he was sending up signal flares...instead of patching sails he was putting on a life jacket...instead of mending holes he was throwing extra weight over board.. instead of...well yea I get it
[/quote]

Exactly.

I agree that HF should have won games last year. But here is the problem I see. HJ,BC, AND OF are the teams HF is expected to compete with now. Can HF possibly build a team to compete with Silsbee and Jasper in 2 years? I just don't think the talent is there to do this at this time. No matter what coach you bring in at this time.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="782296" timestamp="1269614119"]
Can HF possibly build a team to compete with Silsbee and Jasper in 2 years? I just don't think the talent is there to do this at this time. No matter what coach you bring in at this time.
[/quote]

So what do you do? Just give up? Probably [i]you can't[/i] beat Silsbee and Jasper in 2 years, but shouldn't you try to do the absolute very best with whatever you have to work with?? Maximize the potential you have, however you can! Do that and people will notice!  :)

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="782300" timestamp="1269614627"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67443.msg782296#msg782296 date=1269614119]
Can HF possibly build a team to compete with Silsbee and Jasper in 2 years? I just don't think the talent is there to do this at this time. No matter what coach you bring in at this time.
[/quote]

So what do you do? Just give up? Probably [i]you can't[/i] beat Silsbee and Jasper in 2 years, but shouldn't you try to do the absolute very best with whatever you have to work with?? Maximize the potential you have, however you can! Do that and people will notice!  :)
[/quote]
everyone noticed orangefield

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="782300" timestamp="1269614627"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67443.msg782296#msg782296 date=1269614119]
[/quote]

[/quote]Exactly, but to be the best you have watch and learn from the best. Not those in the middle or bottom of the ladder. wORKwith the best  and expect to be the best.It's a mindset too!

Guest ECBucFan
I remember 10-12 years ago many said Nederland was hopeless, and 5 years ago Lumberton was hopeless. I never believed that was true, and I said good things would soon happen for them both... ;D 

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="782309" timestamp="1269615968"]
I remember 10-12 years ago many said Nederland was hopeless, and 5 years ago Lumberton was hopeless. I never believed that was true, and I said good things would soon happen for them both... ;D   
[/quote]100% commitment top to bottom(top= parents  bottom= administrtion)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="782323" timestamp="1269617285"]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=67443.msg782309#msg782309 date=1269615968]
[/quote]100% commitment top to bottom([b]top= parents  bottom= administrtion[/b])
[/quote]

No, top=coaches; bottom=players

[quote name="Jake Sully" post="782333" timestamp="1269618653"]
[quote auth=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67443.msg782323#msg782323 date=1269617285]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=67443.msg782309#msg782309 date=1269615968]
[/quote]100% commitment top to bottom([b]top= parents  bottom= administrtion[/b])
[/quote]

No, top=coaches; bottom=players
[/quote]coaches can't be around their players all summers. If HF parents can help coach, then they should also do it in the summer months ;)

Dove, among the many obstacles HF has to overcome, it's attitudes like yours that contribute to the problem.  Believing that you can win goes a long way in getting there, and when players hear people say it's hopeless for the next couple of years, why would they want to play.  Guess we're just supposed to give up til the stars arrive in a few years. ;) We've got to think like winners to be winners.  There are the resources to turn things around, but the time to start is now. 

[quote name="True Blue Mom" post="782379" timestamp="1269623624"]
Dove, among the many obstacles HF has to overcome, it's attitudes like yours that contribute to the problem.  Believing that you can win goes a long way in getting there, and when players hear people say it's hopeless for the next couple of years, why would they want to play.  Guess we're just supposed to give up til the stars arrive in a few years. ;) We've got to think like winners to be winners.   There are the resources to turn things around, but the time to start is now. 
[/quote]I'm also a realist True Blue. When I see a kid from Silsbee run wide sweeps and nodody can't catch up to the runner, well that tells me something. When I see Jasper's talent compared to Hf, reality sets in and you have to be honest with yourself and your child's talent. Can anyone answer this question? Does Hf participate in 7-man football during the offseason?

Yes, HF does play 7 man ball in the summer.  They also have strength and training camps, and yes, mine has participated in both.  Since you're a realist, maybe you can understand the reality of what it does to heart and desire to give it your all ( especially if you do have talent and a high desire to win) when everyone has given up on you and the team.  It's hard enough to go out week after week and not win, but when you don't have any support behind you it's disheartening.  I believe some of those numbers would go up if being a part of the team was something to be proud of rather than something to be laughed at.  For someone who is supposed to know so much about sports, you don't seem to understand the players.  I'd take a group of average athletes with heart and determination up against a talented team with no fire or heart anyday of the week.  Jeez, even the guy from EC gets it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder