Anti-Yates/Pro Coach Isaacs and Coach Bruce

I would like to recognize Coach Isaacs at Spurger and Coach Bruce at Slocum for their sportsmanship.
Both of these men made the state basketball tournament this year and my team was beat by both of them.  They could have scored 100+, but they chose not to.  Coach Isaacs did not play his starters in the 4th quarter and called off the press.  Coach Bruce made his players pass the ball 5 times in their 1/2 court before they took a shot.  There are ways to win and not HURT your game or embarrass people.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LISTEN!!! You are talking about two different classifications of basketball. Most of those guys from Yates are playing to further their careers after highschool and have to be in the best shape and show there best. You know that hardly ever someone from 1A makes it big unless you are exceptional so you cannot say that. Plus Spurger only has like 7 members so I think it makes sense to rest them. Like I said before that is whats wrong with society and kids today. Just want things easy and not work for it. The Yates coach prepared them for Lancaster and that could of been the reason they finished strong and jumped ahead at the end.  All I have to say is RUSH LIMBAUGH AKA POLITICALLY CORRECT STATEMENT YOU MADE!!!

JMO

[quote name="Aiden1" post="778141" timestamp="1268862073"]
LISTEN!!! You are talking about two different classifications of basketball. Most of those guys from Yates are playing to further their careers after highschool and have to be in the best shape and show there best. You know that hardly ever someone from 1A makes it big unless you are exceptional so you cannot say that. Plus Spurger only has like 7 members so I think it makes sense to rest them. Like I said before that is whats wrong with society and kids today. Just want things easy and not work for it. The Yates coach prepared them for Lancaster and that could of been the reason they finished strong and jumped ahead at the end.   All I have to say is RUSH LIMBAUGH AKA POLITICALLY CORRECT STATEMENT YOU MADE!!!

JMO

[/quote]

Just like I have said elsewhere if they are trying to get ready to "further their careers" they need to be good at a lot more facets of the game than just pressing.  Such as half court offenses and defenses so that point is crap.

Right but apparently they already know how to do those thing well so I guess the coach felt thats what they needed to do to exploit teams and win. You guys kill me. What do you play sports for? To win the game, HELLO!!! That is like last year when Dallas got mad that the Vikings didnt lay down after they were beating. I love Dallas, but that is part of the game!!!

[quote name="Aiden1" post="778323" timestamp="1268877235"]
Right but apparently they already know how to do those thing well so I guess the coach felt thats what they needed to do to exploit teams and win. You guys kill me. What do you play sports for? To win the game, HELLO!!! That is like last year when Dallas got mad that the Vikings didnt lay down after they were beating. I love Dallas, but that is part of the game!!!
[/quote]

Oh I agree they needed to play to win but the point on here has been when they had huge leads they should have eased off.  I saw them play in person and they were not a real good team in the half court.  That is where they needed work, so in these lopsided games they had the opportunity to work on that part of the game.  As far as comparing to the pros,  these are high school athletes they are not paid and are not the best of the best.  Pros are both it is their job to keep a team from embarrasing them.  High school athletes are there to compete and learn the game.  If they are beaten so be it  And they  may even be in a lopsided loss but embarrassing them should never be part of the equation.  A truly good high school coach coaches not only to win but to make his players better preparing them for playing in the future.

[quote name="ST413" post="778334" timestamp="1268878143"]
[quote author=Aiden1 link=topic=67437.msg778323#msg778323 date=1268877235]
[/quote]

Oh I agree they needed to play to win but the point on here has been when they had huge leads they should have eased off.  I saw them play in person and they were not a real good team in the half court.  That is where they needed work, so in these lopsided games they had the opportunity to work on that part of the game.  As far as comparing to the pros,  these are high school athletes they are not paid and are not the best of the best.  Pros are both it is their job to keep a team from embarrasing them.  High school athletes are there to compete and learn the game.  If they are beaten so be it  And they  may even be in a lopsided loss but embarrassing them should never be part of the equation.  A truly good high school coach coaches not only to win but to make his players better preparing them for playing in the future.
[/quote]HO-HUM  ::)

[quote name="ST413" post="778334" timestamp="1268878143"]
[/quote]

Oh I agree they needed to play to win but the point on here has been when they had huge leads they should have eased off.  I saw them play in person and they were not a real good team in the half court.  That is where they needed work, so in these lopsided games they had the opportunity to work on that part of the game.  As far as comparing to the pros,  these are high school athletes they are not paid and are not the best of the best.  Pros are both it is their job to keep a team from embarrasing them.  High school athletes are there to compete and learn the game.  If they are beaten so be it  And they  may even be in a lopsided loss but embarrassing them should never be part of the equation.  A truly good high school coach coaches not only to win but to make his players better preparing them for playing in the future.
[/quote]

They don't need to work on a darn thing!!! They had a winning scheme and exploited it!!!  Three kids got D1 scholarships and two of them are not even college caliber players!  The style of play hid their deficienies! I think it worked just fine! Everybody hates a winner!

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="778550" timestamp="1268922306"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=67437.msg778334#msg778334 date=1268878143]
[/quote]

Oh I agree they needed to play to win but the point on here has been when they had huge leads they should have eased off.  I saw them play in person and they were not a real good team in the half court.  That is where they needed work, so in these lopsided games they had the opportunity to work on that part of the game.  As far as comparing to the pros,  these are high school athletes they are not paid and are not the best of the best.  Pros are both it is their job to keep a team from embarrasing them.  High school athletes are there to compete and learn the game.  If they are beaten so be it  And they  may even be in a lopsided loss but embarrassing them should never be part of the equation.  A truly good high school coach coaches not only to win but to make his players better preparing them for playing in the future.
[/quote]

They don't need to work on a darn thing!!! They had a winning scheme and exploited it!!!  Three kids got D1 scholarships and two of them are not even college caliber players!  The style of play hid their deficienies! I think it worked just fine! Everybody hates a winner!
[/quote]Excellent analysis

[quote name="ST413" post="778597" timestamp="1268928991"]
I don't hate Yates at all. I am happy for the kids but for these kids to be succesful in the future they don't need to hide their problems they need to improve them. 
[/quote]Ah, they won State two years in a row. I bet there are many schools who would love to have that problem (winning).

[quote name="Aiden1" post="778141" timestamp="1268862073"]
Most of those guys from Yates are playing to further their careers after highschool and have to be in the best shape and show there best.
[/quote]

The kids at Yates, like most players who wind up going to a Division I school, get their scholarship offers based off of what they do with their AAU team during the spring and summer and not off of what happens during in-season games.

[quote name="JMT" post="778727" timestamp="1268945826"]
[quote author=Aiden1 link=topic=67437.msg778141#msg778141 date=1268862073]
Most of those guys from Yates are playing to further their careers after highschool and have to be in the best shape and show there best.
[/quote]

The kids at Yates, like most players who wind up going to a Division I school, get their scholarship offers based off of what they do with their AAU team during the spring and summer and not off of what happens during in-season games.
[/quote]Unless you're a Joseph Young @Yates!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="778710" timestamp="1268944599"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=67437.msg778597#msg778597 date=1268928991]
I don't hate Yates at all. I am happy for the kids but for these kids to be succesful in the future they don't need to hide their problems they need to improve them. 
[/quote]Ah, they won State two years in a row. I bet there are many schools who would love to have that problem (winning).
[/quote]

Keep going around the point instead of facing it. Yes they won state two years in a row(great job) but the coach had many chances to help his team become better all around players  and didn't take advantage of them.

[quote name="ST413" post="778775" timestamp="1268956531"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67437.msg778710#msg778710 date=1268944599]
[/quote]

Keep going around the point instead of facing it. Yes they won state two years in a row(great job) but the coach had many chances to help his team become better all around players  and didn't take advantage of them.
[/quote]question. How do you know Yates doesn't. Know how to run a half court offense? Do you think they get all their points off steals from their press? The kis know how to run a half court offense.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="778781" timestamp="1268959420"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=67437.msg778775#msg778775 date=1268956531]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67437.msg778710#msg778710 date=1268944599]
[/quote]

[/quote]question. How do you know Yates doesn't. Know how to run a half court offense? Do you think they get all their points off steals from their press? The kis know how to run a half court offense.
[/quote]

How do I know I saw them in there first round blowout of sterling.  They may have known how to run it but they looked very vulnerable on offense and defense in the half court.  They could have been a lot better in my opinion.  Those kids had the ability to play half court,  you could tell they weren't used to doing it.  To me, blowouts would have been the perfect chance for them to get more comfortable  in that offense and defense.  Its doesn't come from the kids it comes from the coach.  I don't know maybe he is unsure of himself in that situation if so he could have used that time for both his and the kids benefit. 

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="778793" timestamp="1268960843"]
Funny, critics for Wheatley would say the same thing. They thought all they did was run up and down the court with no half court game. You can't argue with a successful system.
[/quote]

I didn't see any Wheatly scores where they beat their opponent by the margins Yates did either.  This isn't about their system.  Run your system to win but when the game is out of hand, instead of continuing the same thing and humiliating your opponent use that time to work on area's of your game that may not be as good as they could be.  Use those times for your benefit.   I saw games this year that we had a good lead that wasn't out of hand where Travis switche to a spread offense.  Some of these times weren't to keep from embarrassing the opponent because the games weren't that lopsided.  Instead he was working on another aspect that he wanted the team to be better at.  Wise could have done the same thing with the huge leads.  It can be said he wanted to run his team, keep them in shape, etc but all of that can be accomplished in practice.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin