The UIL's All-Century Team for boys basketball

Hardcourt heroes

The annual showcase of high school basketball in Texas — the UIL boys state tournament — tips off Thursday in Austin. On Tuesday, the University Interscholastic League recalled former high school hoops heroes, releasing its all-century team.

More than 5,500 votes were cast online for the team, which included a former Texas Longhorn — T..J. Ford — and a four-time NBA champion — Shaquille O'Neal — as first-team selections.

The UIL's all-century team for boys basketball:

First team

Clyde Drexler, F, Houston Sterling

Chris Bosh, F, Dallas Lincoln

Shaquille O'Neal, C, San Antonio Cole

T.J. Ford, G, Sugar Land Willowridge

Jimmy Smith, G, Victoria

Second team

LaMarcus Aldridge, F, Seagoville

Larry Johnson, F, Dallas Skyline

Emeka Okafor, C, Houston Bellaire

Spud Webb, G, Dallas Wilmer Hutchins

Mookie Blaylock, G, Garland

Third team

Rashard Lewis, F, Alief Elsik

John Beasley, F, Linden-Kildare

Greg Ostertag, C, Duncanville

Phil Reynolds, G, Waxahachie

A.J. Abrams, G, McNeil

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="775774" timestamp="1268361433"]
Almost 16 hours after this was posted nobody has said anything about Perkins...........there was a debate about Perkins vs. Bosh.....who was better!!!!!!!  THAT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY 5500 PEOPLE!!!!!!  Never a question in my mind either!!!
[/quote]5500 in S.E.Texas? ::)

The Real All Century Team

1st Team
1. T.J. Ford – Willowridge
2. Labradford Smith- Bay City
3. Clyde Drexler- Houston Sterling
4. Chris Bosh- Dallas Lincoln
5. Shaquille O’Neil- S.A. Cole
2nd Team
1. Sean Gay- Houston Madison
2. Karl Godine- Houston Kashmere 
3. Larry Johnson- Dallas Skyline
4. Dwight Jones- Houston Wheatley
5. Kendrick Perkins- Beaumont Ozen
3rd team
1. B. J. Tyler- P.A. Lincoln
2. Mookie Blaylock- Garland
3. Daniel Ewing- Willowridge
4. Rashard Lewis- Elsik H.S.
5. Eddie Owens- Wheatley
Honorable Mention:
1. Daniel Gipson- Houston Jones
2. Ira Terrell- Dallas Roosevelt
4. Earl “Pearl” Evan- P.A. Lincoln
5. Troy House- Ingram Moore
6. Jeryl Sasser- Kimball
7. LaMarcus Aldridge- Seagoville
8. Greg Ostertag- Duncanville
9. Brandon Peters- Yates

[quote name="Mr. Thomas" post="777246" timestamp="1268670110"]

1st Team
2nd Team
3rd team
5. Eddie Owens- Wheatley
Honorable Mention:
6. Jeryl Sasser- Kimball
9. Brandon Peters- Yates

[/quote]1st Team
Why Clyde Drexler? I just don't remember him doing anything worth mentioning in his high school days. Can someone explain why he is getting recognition?

[quote name="RP3" post="776940" timestamp="1268594497"]
That UIL all century team is nothing of the sort!! How could you put players like Jimmy Smith from Victoria High on any all ANYTHING, and NOT include the likes of BJ Tyler, Troy Hamm, Kendrick Perkins, Stephen Jackson, LaBradford Smith, among MANY, MANY others? It baffles me but since it was a fan poll, I am not surprised...

Lazeek: A straw poll conducted by fans and such can in no way determine who was actually better between Perkins and Bosh...BOTH are enjoying really good NBA careers and BOTH have high school state titles, but only ONE of them has an NBA ring as well.... ;)....Its a great debate, but honestly its all about the side that you're on...Some would say Bosh for their own reasons and some would say Perkins for theirs...They are BOTH sucessful and BOTH should be on any all century UIL team...Period.
[/quote]
1st of all, if you saw their Austin tourney matchups you know Bosh dominated Perkins in all aspects. 2nd, by the numbers Bosh is having the better NBA career. Lastly, in case you don't know already....everybody gets a ring when the Garnett/Allen/Pierce show wins a title.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="777249" timestamp="1268670710"]
[quote author=Mr. Thomas link=topic=67209.msg777246#msg777246 date=1268670110]

1st Team
2nd Team
3rd team
5. Eddie Owens- Wheatley
Honorable Mention:
6. Jeryl Sasser- Kimball
9. Brandon Peters- Yates

[/quote]1st Team
Why Clyde Drexler? I just don't remember him doing anything worth mentioning in his high school days. Can someone explain why he is getting recognition?
[/quote]
Not only that , according to Mr. T's list...Daniel Ewing made it twice on his list. Go figure

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="777257" timestamp="1268671168"]
How would that explain Jimmy Smith ahead of Larry Johnson & Ostertag
[/quote]

The same explanation as O'Neal gets. He only played 1 year of Texas high school basketball.

I cannot explain Smith, I was just defending Dexler since you claimed he wasn't deserving because of his high school career.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="777253" timestamp="1268670952"]
These teams are not just based on what a player did in his high school days. Drexler may not have had as good a high school career as some of these others, but his college and pro years trump most of these players.

[/quote]Well, you need to title it All-NBA

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="777250" timestamp="1268670740"]
[quote author=RP3 link=topic=67209.msg776940#msg776940 date=1268594497]
That UIL all century team is nothing of the sort!! How could you put players like Jimmy Smith from Victoria High on any all ANYTHING, and NOT include the likes of BJ Tyler, Troy Hamm, Kendrick Perkins, Stephen Jackson, LaBradford Smith, among MANY, MANY others? It baffles me but since it was a fan poll, I am not surprised...

Lazeek: A straw poll conducted by fans and such can in no way determine who was actually better between Perkins and Bosh...BOTH are enjoying really good NBA careers and BOTH have high school state titles, but only ONE of them has an NBA ring as well.... ;)....Its a great debate, but honestly its all about the side that you're on...Some would say Bosh for their own reasons and some would say Perkins for theirs...They are BOTH sucessful and BOTH should be on any all century UIL team...Period.
[/quote]
1st of all, if you saw their Austin tourney matchups you know Bosh dominated Perkins in all aspects. 2nd, by the numbers Bosh is having the better NBA career. Lastly, in case you don't know already....everybody gets a ring when the Garnett/Allen/Pierce show wins a title.
[/quote]

Look at the stat line from that game and you will see that Bosh did not dominate Perkins.  Dallas lincoln Dominated Ozen... Perkins/Bosh was a wash!

[quote name="RP3" post="777258" timestamp="1268671180"]
[quote author=Lt. Dangle link=topic=67209.msg777250#msg777250 date=1268670740]
[quote author=RP3 link=topic=67209.msg776940#msg776940 date=1268594497]

[/quote]
[/quote]
As a matter fact I WAS there and that was certainly not the case...They BOTH had stellar games and Bosh was NOT guarding Perkins, he was being guarded by #32 and doubled by Bosh. Perkins was not guarding Bosh either. Bosh was scoring off of transition and some putbacks...No domination there...and lastly Perkins is a starter and key contributer on that NBA title team..You cannot take that away from him...I am sure Bosh would trade his HS championship for Perkins NBA title ANYDAY!  ;)
[/quote]
About the state title game, did you watch any of it???? WOW. Chris would probably trade his HS ring for Perk's NBA ring but I am SURE he would'nt trade his salary for Perk's salary......Bosh salary= $ 15,779,000 Perkins= $ 4,750,000. Almost 4 times more than Perk. I think he will tell Perk to keep the ring & I'll keep the cash. Did I mention " dominated " previously?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin